8th Story – Galahad
28 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the end, everything came down to a coin flip.

It’s always been like that in my life. Everything I have, everything I don’t... All of it came from pure dumb luck. Of course, I know that I’m fortunate to even be in the position. It’s something that many would envy. The one and only prince of the imperial family. It was an impressive title no doubt, but sometimes, I wish I had been born a commoner instead.

Perhaps I might’ve thought differently if I had won the sole coin flip that mattered to me, but such were the vicissitudes of fate. I lost, and there was simply nothing I could do to change that anymore. Instead of me, it was my sister Gwenhwyfar who earned the right to succession, manifesting the Sunrise Crest at the age of six. That was around the time I awakened as a knight as well.

At first, I was fine with it, but slowly, my sister began to turn away from me. Attracted by the shining lights of high society, she no longer looked upon me as she once did. She left me all alone to rot in the darkness.

What horrible luck.

At the very least, I thought my family would understand my position after that and allow me to walk my own path. After all, I was no longer a potential heir to the imperial throne nor did I have any stake in the future management of the empire. All that was left up to my sister, along with all the riches and responsibility that came with it. As for me, I had expected to be cut loose from the banal lessons and strict rules that the imperial family was forced to adhere to, but that didn’t happen.

Instead, I remained stuck with all the downsides of being imperial royalty while reaping absolutely none of the benefits. Of course, some might argue that the luxury food and residence might be something that I enjoyed, and to an extent, they were right. I dined on some of the greatest of meals, bathed in the most luxurious of baths, and slept on fabrics so soft and smooth that no commoner could even begin to imagine how they felt.

But I would give up all of that just for a taste of the freedom they possessed.

A commoner was free to choose whatever they wanted to do, especially with my father’s leniency towards orphans and the establishment of several educational institutions due to the efforts of Lady Scarlet and her faction. That’s another thing.

I’m not sure who or what the hell she is, but her authority over the empire sure as hell outranks mine. She’s not even a member of the imperial family, and she isn’t subject to any of its bullshit, yet she somehow wields more power than I do. A mere duke’s daughter is more powerful than I am, the goddamn imperial prince.

It’s just unthinkable. She has my sister in her pocket, hanging on her every word. The commoners adored her, some of them even worshiping her as their savior. In fact, all the guards in the palace wouldn’t even dare turn their swords on her despite a direct order from my father when she stormed into the palace all those years ago. And back then... she was just a child.

Imagine what she could do now.

Click.

There she comes now. And who’s that by her side? Ah fuck, my two favorite people in the entire empire walking side by side. I can’t believe I have to deal with these stuck-up bitches for the entire day.

I rose from my seat, giving my sister and Lady Scarlet a stiff bow. “Good afternoon, Lady Scarlet. Sister. It’s rare that you would call upon me for something. After all, I fail to see what someone as lowly as I could do for the two of you.”

Lady Scarlet raised an eyebrow. “You are the imperial prince. You would do well to maintain some dignity for yourself, Galahad.”

Throwing punches already, huh? You just can’t help yourself, Lady Scarlet... I sighed. “Yes, of course. I shall take care to mind my words from now on.”

“As you should.” Lady Scarlet said. 

Honestly, I wasn’t even sure whether I should be upset or not. On one hand, the first thing she’d done was criticize me just like everyone else in my life does, but she wasn’t exactly putting me down like they do. Rather, she was telling me to act with pride... Perhaps I would’ve been touched at one point in my life, but now it was little more than a joke.

Even if I walked with my head held high, I’d only get beaten back down to earth by my sister’s accomplishments once more. After all, no matter how hard I worked, no one would ever notice me. As a junior knight, I had already surpassed many of my peers, but it was never enough. Even if I became the best in the empire, I doubt anyone would ever look at me favorably. After all, I was useless.

Without the Sunrise Crest, I was just another political tool to others. But even with it, I doubted there would be much difference. They’d respect me more, sure, but I’d still be a tool. Just like how my sister was nothing more than a tool to Lady Scarlet.

Gwenhwyfar turned to me now, a smile on her face. “I was hoping you would be able to help us with a small errand, Galahad. You see, we must obtain access to the imperial archives.”

“Why not ask father?”

“Claudius is busy being a nuisance,” Lady Scarlet said dismissively. “It seems he’s been truly taken by whatever my father is doing to him.”

My eyes widened. Even if my father wasn’t present, it was strange to see Lady Scarlet refer to him in such a callous manner. She was always respectful even when she was admonishing others, but it certainly seemed as though she had nothing but disdain for my father and even her own.

“I must ask... What do you mean by that, Lady Scarlet? Your father and mine are close, but I never truly understood what brought them together. Was it a hunting trip?”

“No. It was an imperial gala.” Lady Scarlet replied quickly and succinctly, her firm voice shutting down my line of questioning. “We are in the midst of resolving the matter, but I have not yet accumulated the power and influence that I need to rid this empire of his corruption.”

So it’s true... I nodded silently. Of course, I’d heard the rumors, but I never really believed them. As much as I envied her, Scarlet’s competence was inarguable. She had produced results felt across the whole of the empire and achieved things that even adults could only dream of doing. That was why I thought the rumors of her father’s corruption and political scheming were nothing more than gossip spread by jealous noblewomen.

“That’s why we need your help, Galahad.” Gwenhwyfar said. “There is something we must retrieve from the archives for Lady Rose, but as you know, the archives can only be opened when two individuals of royal blood are present.”

“Lady Rose...?” I frowned. “What does this have to—Ah. I see. Is this another one of Lady Scarlet’s plans? What’s she trying to get you to do this time?”

“H-Huh? What do you mean...? It’s nothing like that, Galahad!” Gwenhwyfar protested. “There’s something terrible beneath the Imp—”

“That’ll be quite enough, Gwenhwyfar.” Lady Scarlet said, silencing my sister with a wave of her hand. “Galahad. Will you aid us or not?”

I crossed my arms, considering the noblewoman’s question carefully. In all honesty, I was about to simply go along with what they wanted. After all, it took no effort for me to stand in front of a door and Lady Scarlet had the type of gravitas that made others want to follow in her stead. Even I wasn’t immune to that particular skill of hers, but...

...I couldn’t help noticing the desperation in my sister’s eyes. I don’t know what set me off, but perhaps this dark urge had always been within me, just waiting to be unleashed. The urge to finally get the better of her, once and for all. The urge to finally deny her something just like how she had denied me the entirety of my birthright.

“No.” I spoke before I even processed it, my heartrate accelerating as I relished in the guilty pleasure of denying my sister what she wanted.

“G-Galahad!”

Yes... Beg, Gwenhwyfar! You need me, don’t you!? I’m the only one who can do—

“Very well.” Scarlet said simply, turning on her heel and beginning to walk away. She didn’t even think twice before accepting my answer.

Honestly, it soured my mood slightly, but my sister still remained standing before me, torn between pleading for my help or following Scarlet. In truth, she should’ve chosen the latter. Scarlet’s imperious and authoritative bearing had partially made me want to chase after her and apologize, and it was the type of attitude that Gwenhwyfar should’ve adopted as the crown princess.

Yet, she was staring at me with eyes that were still somehow filled with the faintest glimmers of hope. She clasped her hands together, pressing her lips into a thin line before she spoke.

“Galahad, please! There’s no one else who can open the archives, and you know mother can’t! This is incredibly important!”

“Don’t you see, Gwenhwyfar? Lady Scarlet’s just using you as a tool.” I laughed, gesturing toward the raven-haired noblewoman. With her back turned to us, I couldn’t see the expression on her face, but she must’ve overheard me because she stopped in her stride.

At last, the two who had always ignored my presence were finally forced to fully devote their attention to me. Exultation rose in my chest. No longer was I forced to live in the shadow of my sister. This may only have been a brief moment, but I felt alive like never before.

“She is doing nothing of the sort, Galahad! How dare you speak like that about my friends!?”

“Do you really think you have friends, Gwenhwyfar?” I shook my head, scoffing. “How naive. You’re just like me. The only difference is that you live in the light. Get it through your thick skull. No one actually likes you.”

“G-Galahad...?” Gwenhwyfar stared at me, wide-eyed. Her mouth hung agape as she stared at me with tear-filled eyes. Heavy droplets rolled down her cheeks, ready to crash against the ground at any second. “W-What are you even saying...?”

I almost laughed. She could barely comprehend what I was saying, and I suppose that was partially my own fault. I never truly let her know the depths of my feelings, but then again... I don’t know how I managed to muster the courage to say all this either.

For some reason, a sickening pleasure filled my chest every time she sniffed. At last, she was listening to my every word. She was giving me all of her attention, just like she had done back when we were children. As much as I wanted to deny my own twisted nature, this was what I wanted to see all along. It was true that I was her knight at the Imperial Academy, but she never wanted it to be so. Instead, the one she had been pining for was some random orphan she met around ten or eleven years ago.

I knew I should’ve stopped and apologized after that. She was hurt, and that was enough for me, but I felt triumphant in that moment. I had to get everything off my chest once and for all.

“That’s right, Gwenhwyfar. Think about it. They ignore me and shun me, yet they dote on you at every possible opportunity. Why is that, hm?” I paused, waiting for her to come up with an answer. All she could do was cry. “It’s because of your Crest, sister. Without it, I’d be in your position, and you’d be in mine. No one truly cares about you, sister. No one but m—”

“Utter no more falsehoods, Galahad.” Scarlet spoke with a measured voice, but the fury in her violet eyes burned so intensely that I nearly stumbled back as she strode toward me, placing herself between my sister and I. “I will not permit it, nor will I permit the princess to shed any more tears.”

“You—”

Already, Lady Scarlet had ceased paying any attention to me. Instead, she had turned around, wiping away my sister’s tears with a handkerchief before placing it in Gwenhwyfar’s hands and telling her that she could keep it. I stared at them, dumbfounded and transfixed by the action.

No... That’s impossible. How... How can she use such an exquisite piece of work as a mere cloth for wiping away tears? That slightly raised embroidery, the gold-dipped threads and argent outlining... It must have been hand-sewn. But by whom? Possibly Lady Scarlet herself. The subtle, off-white color of the cloth is disgustingly perfect too, just like the lady holding it.

The handkerchief’s perfection was one thing, but worse was the fact that I had just given my sister a gift last week. A handkerchief. She told me she loved it. She showered me with attention in that single fleeting moment, giving me back what she had denied to me all these years. But now... Now she was holding something better?

Unforgivable.

Shiing!

Impulsively, I drew my sword, pointing it at Scarlet. In the Imperial Palace, I was only permitted to carry a longsword since I hadn’t been knighted yet, but I was sure it would be more than enough to slay—I mean, scare her off. There wasn’t a single noblewoman in the country who would dare stand against an armed knight, after all.

“Are you saying that you truly care about my sister, then? That she’s more to you than just a tool for your little schemes!?”

“Calm yourself, Galahad.” Scarlet’s eyes narrowed. “Just what has gotten into you? Sheathe your sword immediately and apologize to your sister.”

She looked confused, but there wasn’t a single trace of fear in her eyes. Perhaps if there were, I might have backed down, but her courage and will to shield Gwenhwyfar despite my presence only served to irritate me more. Now that I had finally forced my sister to pay attention to me again, the only thing left for me to do was to put Scarlet in her place.

...Yes! Then she’ll finally turn back to me... She’ll forget about that orphan knight and take my hand once more!

I couldn’t see it, but I could feel it. The insane grin that was slowly spreading across my lips. It was wrong. I know.

I know.

But I couldn’t stop. All I had to do to get my sister back... was scare Scarlet off once and for all. She’d step out of the way, right? Surely she wouldn’t allow herself to be struck. And even if she did... I’m the prince. It would just be an accident, and once she’s dead, there won’t be a reason for Gwenhwyfar to care about her anymore. She’ll learn to love me again.

No. She will love me again.

“She’s not just a tool to you, isn’t that right, Lady Scarlet?” I said, advancing toward her with my blade at the ready. “If that’s true, then you’ll protect her from this, won’t you!?”

I swung my sword, allowing it to fall directly at the center of Lady Scarlet’s head. I thought she would flinch and jump out of the way, allowing me to stop my blade just before it touched my dear sister’s hair, but instead, she did the unthinkable.

Her hand shot up and grabbed my sword, stopping it mid-motion. Blood poured from her ruined hand, and I heard a loud snap as her elegant but frail arm broke from the force of stopping my strike. Yet, she didn’t say a single word, nor did she cry out in pain.

Not a tear formed in her clear, resolute eyes. That fiery, violet gaze of hers turned on me, and I shivered as I met it. I was at least two heads taller than her, but right now, I felt very, very small under her inimical glare of pure disappointment.

“S-Scarlet!” Gwenhwyfar cried, clutching Scarlet’s other arm in panic as she attempted to drag the noblewoman away from my sword. Remarkably, the raven-haired noblewoman was still gripping onto the blade despite her broken arm. The pain must have been excruciating, yet she still endured it without complaint.

As much as I wanted to hate her, I couldn’t help but feel impressed. There wasn’t a single noblewoman in the entire empire who could do as she had just done. In fact, I doubted that even my very own father would so willingly reach out to stop a knight’s sword in mid-swing.

But Scarlet hadn’t hesitated. Not even once.

In fact, she shook Gwenhwyfar off, continuing to shield my sister in her shadow.

“Stay behind me, Gwenhwyfar. Your brother has gone insane.”

“Me? Insane?” I laughed. “My mind’s never been clearer!”

Scarlet didn’t even bother responding. “Eris.”

The name was unfamiliar to me, but I felt a rush of wind and the next thing I knew, there were two daggers pressed against my neck.

“Your Imperial Highness. Please drop your weapon.” The unknown blonde-haired knight who had suddenly appeared spoke with a low and threatening tone. The fact that she was addressing me by my title just made the situation even more ridiculous than it already was.

Despite that, I had no choice but to comply. I loosened my grip around the longsword, allowing it to fall to the ground with a loud clatter. The daggers were removed from my neck, and the blonde-haired knight retreated to stand behind Scarlet.

“S-Scarlet, your arm...” Gwenhwyfar murmured.

I grit my teeth. This was a mistake on my part. I had her attention previously, and now I’d lost it by damaging her friend’s arm... What a fool I was. I never should have struck when Scarlet was in the way. Of course she’d care more about her wounded friend than her blood brother.

Damn it... There’s only one thing I can do now!

I sank to a knee before Lady Scarlet. It wounded my pride to do so, but the only thing I wanted was for my sister to focus on me once more.

“Lady Scarlet, I deeply apologize for this. I don’t know what I was thinking. If there is anything I ca—”

“Gwenhwyfar.” Lady Scarlet said. “Escort me to the infirmary. Galahad. Save your foolish breath and use it to apologize to your sister later. Just what in the world has been going through your mind today?”

That’s not... That’s not what I wanted...! Gwenhwyfar, please look at me!

“Sister, I—”

“D-Do not speak to me.” Gwenhwyfar said, tears still in her eyes.

“P-Please! I’m sorry!”

She didn’t respond, turning away to escort Lady Scarlet without even giving me a second glance. The blonde-haired knight was the only one who still paid any attention to me, glaring at me with a scornful gaze.

Ah... I’ve ruined it, haven’t I? Oh, Gwenhwyfar... Just what should I do to make you forgive me? Just what should I do to have you look my way once more?

As I remained on my knees alone and in the long shadows cast by the setting sun, I saw a single black butterfly flutter by. That was when I realized there was one thing I could do. One last attempt I could make to regain my sister’s love and adoration.

Yes... I’ll just turn myself in. I’ll go to the dungeons! If she sees me brutally punished and tortured, she’ll save me for sure... Right?

A wicked smile spread on my face. Despite my best attempts to suppress it, I couldn’t. I knew I should never allow my sister to witness such a horrific scene, but at that moment, the only thing I could think of was how I could make her eyes remain on me.

Those lovely, lovely eyes of hers.

I want them to cry for me.

2