9th Story – Morgana
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

All my life, I have dedicated everything to protecting my people. But today is the day that I’ll finally discover whether everything was worth it. 

Well, I suppose when I put it like that it might sound a little selfish. It wasn’t as if I had protected the villagers of this small town out of obligation or the expectation of a reward. Quite the contrary, actually. As a Paladin, protecting others was more than just a simple responsibility of mine. It was the very reason for the beating of my heart. Each breath that I took was not meant to sustain myself, but to prolong my existence so that I may continue to become a shield worthy of my people.

But at the same time, I couldn’t help wondering just who would inherit the order’s Oath. A year ago, my parents had decided to pass down the torch, and today was the day they were planning on doing it.

The inheritance of an Oath was no simple thing. It was a grand occasion that necessitated not only a ceremony, but a complex ritual that few were familiar with. The problem then, was whether or not I would be the one to inherit the Oath.

Yes, I was their daughter, but merely being their child wasn’t enough to qualify me for such a heavy responsibility. After all, Oaths were not hereditary, and my parents had no obligation whatsoever to grant me an Oath should they deem me unworthy. The Paladins were a small group, after all, and unlike the witch hunters, we were dedicated to protecting the small pockets of civilization that still existed despite the Witch Queen’s rule.

There was absolutely no room for leniency. If they had decided that someone else was more worthy of the Oath, then it would go to them despite my blood relations. That was the sole reason why I had worked tirelessly to meet their expectations and become a Paladin strong and accomplished enough to make an impression not just on my parents, but the citizens of this town as well.

I let out a sigh, hoping to release some of the tension that I’d accumulated from both my thoughts and the slightly rough patrol route that I’d experienced today. Although I wasn’t unlucky enough to run into a witch, I’d been forced to deal with a few magical beasts lurking in the town’s surrounding mana wastes. Worse yet, there were a few witchspawn amongst their number, meaning that a witch was no doubt lurking close by.

“Good work today, Morgana!” Morgause called out to me from behind as she approached. She was an old friend of mine. We’d practically grown up together as Paladins, both of us training to become future protectors of this village.

I turned, greeting her with a wave and a grin. Based on her slightly disheveled state and the sweat that still coated her brow, she had only just returned from her patrol as well.

“You too, Morgause.” I replied. “Today’s the day, isn’t it? Are you ready?”

“‘Ready’?” Morgause laughed, the sound bright and cheery. She brushed a lock of her long black hair away from her cheek, showing off her beautiful smile in an almost boastful way. “Morgana, c’mon. I’m more than just ‘ready.’ I’m excited! Aren’t you?”

I shifted my gaze away, pursing my lips. I wasn’t really sure how to answer her, but then again, Morgause had always been like this. Whereas I worked hard on my own, she always took the spotlight. That wasn’t to say she wasn’t a hard worker, but she particularly liked showing off her strength and her confidence was a consequence of that.

“Well... I’m not sure if I’ll get picked is all. How—Ouch!” I winced as Morgause punched me in the shoulder at full strength. “Hey! That fuckin’ hurt!”

“The hell’re you talkin’ about, Morgana?” Morgause flashed me a fierce grin that was more akin to a predator baring its fangs than anything else. “You’re the best of us, y’know? You work twice as hard as anyone else in the order. If even you’re doubtin’ yourself, then what’ve we got left?”

“T-That’s not true! You work hard too! A-And Juno! She’s always patrolling whenever she’s got the time! In fact, she’s still on patrol right now!”

Morgause shook her head. “She’s always patrollin’ ‘cause she’s weak. She doesn’t stick it out in the mana wastes because she wants to, Morgana. I come back quickly because I’m strong. You come back quickly because you’re strong.”

“...Juno isn’t weak.”

“Maybe I laid it on thick.” Morgause shrugged apologetically. “You’re right. Juno isn’t weak, but she sure as hell isn’t strong. Not like us, at least.”

I bit my lip. I knew she was right, but I didn’t want to admit it. I didn’t want to look down on my comrades who were working so hard for everyone’s sake. Juno wasn’t particularly weak and she could handle herself quite well in the mana wastes even against several hordes of beasts, but she wasn’t anywhere near my level or even Morgause’s.

“Look, Morgana... What I’m basically tryin’ to say is you should have more confidence, alright?”

“...Sure. But what about you? How do you know you’ll get picked? You and Ortland have been pretty much neck-to-neck against each other in subjugation completions throughout the month. You don’t think he’s got a chance?”

Morgause shook her head. “‘Course not. He’s not dedicated to the order like I am. And besides, he’s not your childhood friend. I am.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Just because they’re my parents doesn’t mean they’ll give us preferential treatment, Morgause.”

“Yeah, yeah, that’s what they all say. I’m gonna go grab a bite, so I’ll catch ya at the top of the tower, Morgana.” Morgause said, giving me a wave and turning away before I could even reply. It irked me slightly, but I was used to it. She’d always been flighty like that.

Sometimes, I wish I could be a bit more like her. Value my freedom more and everything. But every time I try being a little more selfish, I just can’t bring myself to do so. Sure, I want to be happy, but I’m just one person compared to the rest of the village. If I took a day off, it’d mean one less defender for the people, and not only that, but the entire order would have to adjust their patrol routes and schedules for me.

It just wasn’t something I could burden everyone with, especially when I had such a strong constitution that I’d never even gotten sick before despite wandering into the mana wastes so frequently.

I stopped in front of the tower’s doors. It was tall and constructed with pure white stone, marking it as one of the many shield towers that dotted the continent’s landscape. At the top was a single white crystal that was suspended by active mana, serving as a focus that would amplify the abilities of an Oath across a vast region and push back the corruption that caused land to become mana wastes.

Usually, the crystal would be used to amplify the Tower Master’s Oath, but its use was not exclusive to the Tower Master. This was especially true today. My father, the Tower Master, would abdicate from his position and pass down his Oath within the next hour, meaning that the Oath being amplified right now couldn’t possibly be his.

I pressed my hand against the door, the flow of mana in my body causing the magical mechanism in the doors to activate and open a path for me. The scholars and fellow Paladins within gave me greetings which I attempted to return casually, but deep inside, I knew this calm facade of mine wouldn’t last long. Already, I was feeling the butterflies in my stomach as I ascended the stairs that lead to where both my mother and father would pass on their Oaths to worthy candidates.

As I reached the upper floors, the hubbub of activity in the libraries, study, and dormitory slowly began to fade away, allowing the footsteps of my steel boots against the stone staircase to echo loudly and remind me just how alone I was. The pool of candidates was around twenty, and I was just one of those twenty.

Sure, I might’ve worked hard, and maybe I should be taking Morgause’s advice about being more confident, but I... When I look at my peers, all I can focus on is their strengths and my flaws. I was strong. I was dedicated. I wasn’t delusional enough to ignore that, but when faced with this impossibly important moment before me, I didn’t think that was enough. Something told me that I needed to do more somehow, and the knowledge that all my work and effort thus far might lead to nothing was simply soul-crushing.

Of course, I would still serve the order as a Paladin even if I did not inherit an Oath, but to think that my hard work wouldn’t be recognized... It was demoralizing to say the least. Perhaps there was a little Morgause in me after all. I was protecting these people and this town selflessly, but I still desired recognition and reward. Not tribute from the people, but rather acknowledgement from those that I admired, I suppose.

I took a deep breath as I pushed open the doors to the Seat of Commitment, the floor where the ceremony and rite of inheritance would be held. As I expected, the room was empty aside from two individuals.

“As usual, you’ve returned first.” My father smiled as he approached me and clapped me on the shoulder. “Good work out there, Morgana.”

“Thank you father.” I bowed my head.

“Where is Morgause?” My mother asked. “I thought I saw her walking with you.”

“She said she’d be joining us soon,” I replied. I made my way to one of the room’s many windows, peering out of it and looking at the town below. A small crowd was moving toward the shield tower, and just as I expected, Morgause was right in the center. “Looks like she’s on her way right now.”

“Excellent. We’re hoping this ceremony will be a short one.”

“Really? Why?” I frowned. Usually, inheritance ceremonies like these called for long and hearty celebrations throughout the whole tower and sometimes even the town. The fact that not one but two Oaths were being passed down on the same day just added to the significance of this ceremony, yet my mother was implying there wouldn’t be a celebration at all.

“There are quite a few duties that will have to be addressed with your father passing on the title of Tower Master. We want to ensure that the transition is made as smoothly as possible in light of recent events.”

“Recent events...?” I still wasn’t sure what they were talking about. Ever since the inheritance ceremony was announced a year ago, nearly all members of the order had been working doubly hard to improve their performance, optimize their patrol routes, and overall just impress my parents.

Of course, I was the same, and this surge of activity and competence had brought the town quite a bit of prosperity. We’d managed to eradicate a large portion of the wasting land surrounding the town, allowing the villagers to expand their territory and finally move the walls to a more comfortable position around the outer districts. Not only that, but a large number of beast habitats had been subjugated, allowing for much safer and quicker patrols.

Other than the witchspawn that I encountered earlier today, there wasn’t much to be alarmed about. But then again, I do suppose the presence of a nearby witch would supersede all other threats in the area. Though... I hadn’t exactly reported my findings to my parents yet.

My mother nodded. “That’s right. One of the Paladins has encountered a witch during his patrol. He managed to drive her back, but not finish her off. It seems we’ll have to be extremely cautious until the witch is either captured or slain.”

Ah... So I’m not the first one to have encountered traces of her presence.

I nodded. “Understood. I’ve encountered witchspawn today as well, but no trace of the witch herself.”

“That means she’s recovering...” My mother frowned. “As I thought, we’d best get this done as soon as possible. The celebrations can wait until after the village is safe.”

I made small talk with my parents until the other Paladins showed up. The door swung open with Morgause leading the way, forty-eight other Paladins following in her wake. Counting her and myself, that was a total of fifty. With everyone in attendance and lined up neatly in a single rank before my parents, the ceremony was about to start.

“Welcome, Paladins.” My father began. “As you all know, I am Tower Master Uther. I thank you all for your efforts this past year, and I know some of you have been eagerly anticipating this very moment. Worry not, we have seen the work that you have done and the dedication that you have given to this humble town that we protect. If I could, I would grant each of you an Oath, but we all know that isn’t possible.”

My mother stepped forward as my father fell silent after those final words. “Amongst the fifty of you, we have chosen two to proudly bear the Oaths that have burdened us for much of our lives. The one who inherits Uther’s Oath will be named Tower Master and earn all of his powers and responsibilities. It is not a rank to be held lightly, and those who are chosen for it may reject the offer if you so wish.”

Those of us in the room stared forward with determined gazes, refusing to waver despite my mother’s words. Though I knew that I likely wouldn’t be chosen as the next Tower Master due to my youth and inexperience, part of me still hoped for it. After all, the rank would empower me the most when it came to protecting the town I’d grown up with.

As stealthily as I could, I snuck a glance at Morgause who stood next to me. Even with just a casual look, I could tell that she was thinking very much the same thing.

“Now then, without further ado, I shall announce the one who will inherit my Oath.” My father stepped forward, gesturing at one of the older Paladins. “Lassar. Step forward and receive my Oath, the rank of Tower Master comes with it. Will you accept?”

Lassar raised her head, her long crimson curls falling gently around her shoulders as she did so. Her eyes sparkled with pride, but her kneeling stance was one of humility. She smiled and dipped her head. “I accept, Master Uther. I shall do my best to serve the Chelate Order and its protectorates to the best of my ability.”

“Good. That is all I can ask of you, Lassar. Now then, come with me.”

Lassar rose, following my father into a chamber situated to the left side of the room. The white stone doors slammed shut behind them with an air of finality, the echo announcing the birth of a new Tower Master.

I looked to my mother who now filled the void my father left. Hers was the last Oath to be given. It was the last chance I had to be recognized for my efforts, but realistically, it was the only chance I had. After all, I already knew I wouldn’t be made Tower Master despite my little fantasy.

My mother drew breath to speak. I held mine.

“I have taken many months deciding who would inherit my Oath. It was a tough decision to make, but I have at last settled on one of you,” my mother said. She looked at no one, staring ahead of herself as she kept us all waiting in anticipation.

She paused, allowing the tension to build.

And then she said it.

“Morgana.”

She spoke my name.

“Y-Yes?” I answered meekly out of reflex.

“Rise and inherit my Oath. You have proven yourself worthy through your dedication and commitment to both the order and the town that it protects. May you continue to wield your blade for everyone’s sake.”

“Y-Yes, Dame Igraine!” Honestly, I wanted to address her as “mother”, but I knew it would be grossly inappropriate. I stood, stepping forward and standing next to my mother. Although I thought we would move to one of the side chambers immediately like Lassar and my father had, it seemed she still had something more to say.

“All of you who have yet to receive an Oath, I firmly believe that your continued dedication will allow you to manifest your own one day. While inheriting an Oath is a great honor, know that creating your own is one that is arguably even greater. Let us continue building a world where humanity can hope.”

“Yes, Dame Igraine!” The Paladins answered as one.

Once my mother finished her brief speech, she led me into the side chamber to the right of the room. I looked around as the doors closed behind us automatically. Devoid of windows and furniture, the room was entirely bare with not even a cushion in sight. The walls were pure white and so was the floor, somehow making the room seem even emptier.

“Stand across from me.” My mother commanded.

I did as I was told, shifting my weight nervously from foot to foot. Although my movements were subtle, it seemed my mother noticed this immediately as she gripped my shoulders and pressed down firmly, anchoring me in place.

“Morgana.” My mother began. “Before I grant you my Oath, I need you to understand something.”

“What is it, mother?”

“The name of my Oath is ‘Clarent.’ It is an Oath meant to be a shield. A power that protects and never harms. That is why I chose you to inherit it, you who have lived your entire life devoted to shielding the people of this village not only against the terrors outside of its walls, but also the difficulties of daily life.”

“I... I understand, mother.” I said, my eyes widening as I realized what she meant. It wasn’t only our performance outside the town that mattered, but also what we did within. Whenever I was given an off-day I always spent it helping out the villagers and doing odd jobs for whoever needed an extra hand. Morgause and my other friends always laughed at me and said they were jobs unbefitting a Paladin, but I suppose it all worked out in the end.

The ceremony was surprisingly short. My mother touched her forehead to mine and I felt a brief spark as her mana passed through mine. A strange feeling of lightness filled my body, and I felt as though I had somehow grown stronger through that simple interaction.

“Swear your Oath now and forever, Morgana.”

“I will dedicate my all to protecting the people of this town. My blade is theirs. I swear it.”

The moment I finished swearing my oath, I felt a jolt through my entire body, beginning at the base of my spine. Power flooded through my body, a rushing surge so great that the previous feeling I’d experienced during the exchange with my mother had been totally eclipsed in an instant.

“...Clarent.” I was compelled to whisper the name of my Oath. A pale blue shimmer appeared around my body, and my mother’s hands on my shoulders were pushed back slightly.

“You have received it well, Morgana.” My mother smiled. “Take care to master it. Your journey as a Paladin has only just begun.

“Thank you, mother.”

With that, I stepped out of the chamber and returned to the hall. The other Paladins had returned to their duties. Though disappointed, they knew that they would have another chance one day or perhaps even manifest their own Oath. However, there was still one individual who had yet to leave.

Morgause stood before me, her eyes clouded by anger and frustration that I had never seen before.

“...Why was it you?”

“W-What do you mean, Morgause? What’s wrong?”

“...It should have been me. I... I’m the one who’s supposed to shine forever. I’m the one who’s supposed to finally defeat the Witch Queen and claim her throne.” Morgause muttered. “So... Why is it you?”

“D-Defeat the Witch Queen?” I asked, puzzled. “Ahaha... That’s something best left to the witch hunters, isn’t it? Our job is to protect the town... Seriously, what’s gotten into you, Morgause?”

She didn’t answer me. Instead, she merely turned on her heel, her silky black hair flowing like liquid night as she departed from my sight.

That was the last time I saw Morgause the Paladin.

“...And that’s how Miss Paladin lost her best friend.” I murmured, stroking my sleeping child’s silver hair. My daughter, Medrauta, had long fallen asleep, but I had continued recounting the story.

Perhaps it was to give it the proper conclusion it deserved, or perhaps had just been for myself to sort out the lingering regrets that still plagued me to this very day.

As it turns out, time doesn’t heal all wounds.

Thinking back, I wonder how everything would have turned out if I had stopped her then and there. Part of me still wishes I could go back in time and do just that.

...I’m sorry, Morgause.

2