Chapter 10: The Labyrinthian Part 2
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was now back on its feet as we prepared for round three. Augustus and Caesar had once again occupied its flanks as the large Bryan stood as an easy target in the middle. Once again, it came hurtling towards us with its arms extended out violently. It then crashed into Bryan as the two locked into battle again.

This time, Bryan struggled against its weight as it successfully began to push us further into the cave. He couldn’t even bring out his sword due to the awkward position he was in. And while this was all happening, I felt extremely useless.  

Then, Caesar and Augustus orchestrated a perfectly timed attack. The latter twisted and turned like a bee, confusing the creature who began to lessen its grip. And during that time, our head captain delivered a blow to the back of its neck with the hilt of his sword.

Now clutching the injured area, the beast fell back a few steps as Bryan began to get the upper hand. He pushed the creature back even more, raised his blade, and slashed down with strength. The blow cut into the minotaur’s arms as black blood gushed out everywhere.

However, it was all instantly healed again, with the lost body parts withering up into smoke. Bryan clicked his tongue as his brows furrowed. I couldn’t blame him. Despite all the hard work, there was still nothing to show.

“Maybe we should head for the mine?” I asked.

“Right,” Caesar agreed. “This is just a losing battle.”

No one needed to hear anything else. We took the time the minotaur spent raging to further our distance from it. My heart beat rapidly as I yelled out directions quickly. I could hear it ramming into the walls, reminding me that it was still hot on our trail. If I don’t get everything right, we will literally die.

Oh fuck. A dead end. We scraped to a stop as I frantically looked at the map [Red Realm] gave me. What the hell happened? Why does this keep happening?

“Shi! What's going on!” Bryan raged, throwing me onto the ground. “There is a lot riding on us! How did you take us down the wrong path?”

I winced in pain as I struggled to hold myself up. I can understand his frustrations, but he shouldn’t treat a crippled person like that.

And there was no time for an answer as the minotaur turned into view. Its rage was now unprecedented as it once again took aim, opening its grotesque jaws at us. Bryan stepped forward once more and prepared for impact. The creature smashed into him like a train as he was picked off his feet and into the wall behind us.

I watched on, traumatized, as it tore into his flesh limb by limb. He screamed, gagged, and suffered to no avail against the beast. By the time all sound subsided from him, all that could be heard was the crunch of his bones and skin as his remains were left to rot on the cement.

 

And I wasn’t the only one who stood. Caesar and Augustus were also frozen in place. I gagged, then vomited everywhere as I choked on my gruel. I was struggling to breathe from the position he had left me in. I’m probably going to die, and I definitely deserve it.

Its beastly features became more pronounced as I saw it pick up and swallow what little remained of Bryan. It then stepped forward, hooves clamping into the ground as I waited for the inevitable. Instead, Augustus hoisted me onto his back, and we once again took off running with Caesar right behind us.

The realization then began to settle in as tears streamed down my face. I couldn’t even muster any words throughout the whole ordeal.

All I could do.

All I have done.

Was watch on in fear.

And do nothing.

“Hold it in,” Augustus snapped. “Now is not the time nor place. You have to lead us towards the mine or back to the fork in the road.”

I swallowed my spit and nodded excessively. There was no way I was going to take us toward Dahlia and Sola. I can’t risk them getting involved with this. So, our only other option was back toward Castoff. Then, I noticed the [Red Realm] map shift like a board game puzzle. All of a sudden, the routes changed, and we were on our way to another dead end.

“The labyrinthian is changing!” I shouted. “Take a right instead of a left!”

“Got it!” Caesar responded, leading the charge.

We darted past a few more corners until we finally arrived at the fork. Dahlia and Sola were nowhere to be seen, which scared me. What if they went further into the labyrinthian and it changed, locking them into a section we cannot access? 

Optimism became my only choice as we pressed forward. In the face of the pursuing minotaur, there was no room for contemplation beyond immediate survival. The creature, faster and stronger than any of us, persistently held the same distance behind. Observing the odd actions really began to make me think: why subject us to this unrelenting pursuit?

Is this torture?
Gods judgement?

Even in this supposed Hell, I beg for mercy from whatever rules the world or the universe. Can't we catch a break? Please, let this be enough suffering. I’m tired, and I don’t know how much longer I can keep going before I give up. Everything is hanging by a thread.

“Move out of the way!” I heard a voice yell.

Charging right at us was a resolute Castoff. In his hand, he held a small clear bottle with a liquid inside. His feet scarped forward as he adjusted his weight like that of a pitcher. Upon seeing the stance, Caesar and Augustus quickly maneuvered out of his way. And with that, he stretched back the arm and threw the bottle.

It crashed directly onto the Minotaur's nose, with the liquid seeping into its skin. Suddenly, flames erupted out of nowhere, swiftly consuming the creature's entire body. Its flesh charred away, resembling flaking firewood, while it howled in misery and agony, desperately clutching its head, which it tore into repeatedly.

Soon, the flames subsided. Leaving a heap of bones and dust that was whisked away by the light breeze. I allowed the relief to overtake me as more tears flowed out. Is it finally dead? Did we defeat it?

“What was that?” Augustus gasped, placing me against the wall as he took a seat. “What was that liquid?”
“Holy water,” the knight replied. “I found it among the people it had killed earlier. I believe one of them was a priest.”

“Holy water? Here?” Caesar questioned. “If there was ever someone possessing that in Citadel Castrum, I would have known. This is quite strange indeed.”

“I don’t think so,” I spat. “I don’t think we are in Limbo anymore. Maybe this is already the second floor. That would explain the torment and the people you’ve never seen.”
“True,” Castoff agreed. “Anyways, where is Bryan and the rest of them?”

We recounted every detail to Castoff—our departure from Sola and Dahlia, the unsuccessful journey to the mine, and the tragic loss of Bryan. His only response was a solemn nod, his face marked by heartbreak.

We then took the opportunity to get further away from the minotaur. The goal now was to find Sola and Dahlia and get out of this place as soon as possible. So, I once again relied on [Red Realm] with my attention set on finding them.

Soon after, I saw two ‘beacons’ of black that I immediately assumed to be our companions. We took off in that direction navigating through the labyrinthian for the umpteenth time. At this point, it was repetitive, mindless, and complete torture. All sense of time had been completely sent out the window.

Thankfully, it wasn’t long before we finally found them. Just as I had thought, the labyrinthian did, in fact, change. Instead of being located near the fork we had left them in, they found themselves in a similar box-shaped room that I had woken up in.

Augustus laid me against the wall, and Sola ran over toward me with her face still wet with tears. We exchanged a warm embrace as Caesar filled them in on the events that happened.

“I never liked him,” Dahlia choked, holding back her tears. “But he didn’t deserve this. This whole place is far too cruel, and it doesn’t seem like we can go back.”

“Right,” Caesar agreed. “We can probably only move forward, but there is still hope. We finally managed to defeat the minotaur with holy water, which presents two possible scenarios. One, a priest was teleported here right after death with the holy water and faced an unfortunate end. Or two, that priest was part of an expedition team, similar to ours, who came to raid the labyrinthian.”

Castoff then rummaged through his bag, taking out a silver dagger and holding It up for us all to see. “They had this weapon on them. Made of silver which Virgil informed was the best to use against demons. This helps strengthen the argument.”

“Let’s just say it is true,” I chimed in. “Even if it isn’t, we need this to remain motivated. I’ll try to use my powers to find a way out now too.”

I then focused [Red Realm] on the idea of getting out of here. Soon, another black beacon appeared in the red world with a clear path for me to follow. I don’t know how or why, but I think I’m getting better at using this power. I mean, I have to. I don’t have a choice. I’ve already fucked up a lot, so I can't make any more mistakes.

We stood up and proceeded down the hall in silence. Throughout the entire ordeal, not a single word was spoken except for my occasional directions. It was understandable, given that the fear of the minotaur lingered in everyone's minds. Personally, a part of me stubbornly believed it would be waiting for us around every corner we turned.

“We are almost there!” I smiled.

Just a bit further. [Red Realm] showed the beacon getting closer and closer with each step. Soon, we turned another corner, and the beacon disappeared. So I opened my eyes, and what greeted me was a blinding light that swallowed the darkness. I could hear ‘gasps’ among my companions as our pace hastened. Is this finally the freedom we’ve been looking for?

As my vision gradually adapted, I gazed around in amazement. We were like ants in a coliseum crafted for giants. Enormous flags adorned with unintelligible words hung high, seats seemed designed for Zeus, and entrance gates loomed ominously, resembling portals to other dimensions.

“What is this place?” I asked in astonishment.

“I couldn’t even tell you,” Caesar marvelled.

Then, Sola ran into the vast open space, giggling like a toddler. With a worried expression on her face, Dahlia chased after her as the two began to play. I then slapped Augustus' shoulder, which turned to face me.

“Go after them!” I insisted, sticking out a commanding arm.

The emerald-eyed boy gave a sigh before charging towards them. We caught up quickly, yelling and hollering as we threatened to capture Sola. In response, she began running toward one of those large entrance gates with Sola.

Suddenly, she froze in place. Initially, I didn't pay much attention until I noticed sand cascading down from one of the massive gates. Like her, we came to a standstill, fixated on this unusual occurrence. My heart began to race, and though I couldn't fathom why or how, an unsettling feeling gripped me.

Suddenly, a grotesque face twisted its way out of the gate. It loomed, monstrous and expansive, dwarfing even a football field in size. At first, it was completely shrouded in black, but soon, its details became vivid. An ancient man with a pale face, white beard, and golden crown emerged. Its face was completely motionless as it stretched outwards, supported by a skeletal chain for a body with no limbs.

Soon, its goliath body had completely encircled the whole coliseum as it began constricting in slowly towards us. My heart practically burst out of my chest at the alarming sight. We were not free.

“Everyone, come quickly!” Caesar yelled. “We can slip through its cracks and make it back to where we came from!”

We hastily took off in that direction until the pace of its constriction quickened. The force and speed were enough to create a massive storm of dust that engulfed us completely. Instantly, we were stopped in our tracks and forced to brace.

It suddenly subsided, revealing a ghastly sight just inches away – the ancient man. Its mouth, once sealed, now cracked open, forming a vicious grin with rows of razor teeth lining inside. Its eyes then throbbed with vitality, radiating life and vigour, while we remained paralyzed by fear under the penetrating gaze.

It’s over.

0