Talk of the Town
265 0 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The cityscape sprawled out before Gabriella, its towering structures reaching into the sky, bathed in neon lights that reflected off the slick, rain-soaked pavement.

Her boots clicked against the hard surface as she paced through the bustling streets, lost in thought.

Abruptly, her attention was pulled away from the rhythmic tapping of her shoes by a series of notifications on her phone. 

[Oh?] Gabriella's brows shot up as she walked beneath a series of lampposts. [So many messages all of a sudden.] 

Job offers cascaded into her interface, each promising various salaries in return for her services. Curiosity piqued, Gabriella wondered why there was a sudden surge in demand for her skills.

With a determined stride, she altered her course, making her way through the streets back to the club where Lillith worked.

The familiar neon sign flickered above the entrance, casting an iridescent glow over the scene. Gabriella pushed open the heavy door, entering the dimly lit interior.

Gabriella went through the halls and scanned each one until her eyes settled on Lillith, who was engrossed in a conversation with a patron.

She didn't look like she was particularly enjoying the conversation, though. 

Gabriella approached, waiting for a break in the conversation before catching Lillith's attention.

"Uh, hey, give me a moment." 

"What? We haven't..." The man she'd been speaking to then laid his eyes on Gabriella. "Uh... Never mind." 

Just like that, he left. 

[Good.] 

As the noise ebbed, Gabriella leaned against the bar, addressing her friend with a quizzical expression.

"Lillith, do you have any idea why I'm suddenly drowning in job offers? Just a moment ago, the phone you gave me was so quiet but now it will not stay silent for more than a second at a time!" Her voice carried a mix of curiosity and mild frustration.

Lillith paused, sitting on the bar next to her, and looked at Gabriella with a mixture of concern and excitement.

"You've, uhm... become the talk of the town, Gabriella."

"Truly?"

"Jackal is - or was - a very well-known figure. Word spread fast. I've heard clients talking about it already. Rumors are flying around that you're some kind of rogue Executioner, taking down criminals for bounties."

"Ah... That's quite the tale, Gabriella grinned proudly. 

[Though, I fear the actual truth would break these people's minds if they heard it.] 

Lilith put her head on her hand, gazing upon Gabriella with some wonder. It still seemed like she was, at least, slightly scared of her. 

"Taking down Jackal like that... A lot of people probably want to see what you're made of. And, to see if you're an ally or an enemy." 

"What do you mean?" 

"Some of those people calling you are probably criminals themselves." Gabriella's eyes widened as she heard that. "Some of those job offers might really be calls for a meeting, in disguise. To, you know, see what you're about. Some of them might be traps made by people who were allied with Jackal." 

[That's quite bold.] 

Gabriella's expression shifted, a blend of surprise and realization crossing her features. She hadn't anticipated that her actions would garner this much attention this quickly.

Lillith continued, her eyes reflecting both amusement and concern.

"Just be careful, Gabriella. Being in the spotlight isn't always a good thing. Hell, it's probably not ideal most of the time. But who knows, maybe this is the opportunity you need to carve out a niche for yourself."

Gabriella nodded, looking down at her phone. 

[... In that case, it might be good to accept one of these offers.] 

"Do you know any of these people, Lillith?" 

She handed the phone back to its previous owner so that she could look at some of the offers Gabriella was receiving. 

None of the images produced much of a reaction in her, save for one specific image. 

"Whoa." 

"What?" 

"Um..." Lillith shook her head. "The leader of the Reapers wants to see you." 

"One of the gangs?" 

"Yeah." 

"Do you suggest I go and speak with this individual?" 

Lillith looked apprehensive about the idea at best. 

"Risk and reward kinda go hand in hand a lot of the time. This sounds shady as hell, but if it's genuinely a job offer you could be a made woman in no time." 

"Ah, so it's either a fight or an opportunity to make money," Gabriella said, gesturing for Lillith to give her the phone back. "Got it." 

"What? What are you doing?" 

"I'm accepting the offer, of course." 

"What?" Lillith was absolutely baffled. 

Gabriella grinned. 

"I will either fight for my life or make some money. Sounds exciting either way." 

Lillith blinked. 

"You... you are something else." 

---

Gabriella was given a map location to follow, which her phone thankfully did for her through some navigation app. 

She was sent to a harbor, on the west side of the city. 

The harbor unfolded before Gabriella like a sprawling maze of concrete and steel, a pulsating nexus where the city's heartbeat met the ebb and flow of the sea.

Neon lights cast a vivid spectrum of colors on the weathered structures, flickering in erratic rhythms as though struggling to keep working. 

The scent of saltwater hung in the air, occasionally overpowered by the industrial tang of machinery and the distant echoes of maritime activities. Odd machines stood tall and imposing, their metallic limbs reaching for the sky, silently orchestrating the ballet of cargo containers that shifted in precise choreography.

As she approached the designated meeting point, a sense of caution tingled in her senses. The air held a hint of tension, and the usual cacophony of the city seemed to hush in anticipation.

At the same time, Gabriella was very, very excited. 

[Please, just let there be someone strong here.] 

A figure emerged from the shadows, a striking figure amidst the metallic coffin Gabriella stood in. 

Her sleek, white outfit clung to her form, accentuating an air of calculated elegance. Short, white hair framed her face in a stylish cut, giving her an almost ethereal quality.

The most arresting feature, however, was where her eyes should have been. In place of traditional eyes, a visor adorned her face, emitting a soft glow.

Her sleek, white outfit consisted of a form-fitting bodysuit, adorned with circuit-like patterns that glowed softly with a subtle luminescence. The material appeared to be a high-tech fabric, offering a perfect amalgamation of flexibility and durability.

Angular lines and metallic accents decorated the suit, giving it an edgy and avant-garde appearance. A utility belt adorned her waist, equipped with various compartments and holsters, suggesting a readiness for both style and combat functionality.

As she moved, the woman exhibited a grace that defied the rust covering most of the objects around them. 

She scanned Gabriella and tilted her head. 

"... You aren't one of us." 

[Ah... So, that's what this is.] 

Gabriella scanned her in turn, her hopes rising with every second. 

Indeed, she saw exactly what she wanted to. 

Unit - 101

Level 90

EP: 750/750

EXP: 2130/9000

---

Attributes:

Augmentation: 40

Durability: 45

Finesse: 60

Speed: 50

Intelligence: 75

---

Skills:

Technomancy - Level 8

{Manipulation and control of electronic devices, hacking skills, and understanding of cybernetic systems. Additionally, allows you to create an electric shield around yourself or another, hack others' neural networks, and camouflage your body.} 

Psychokinesis - Level 8

{Manipulate psychic energy and matter with your mind.} 

Nanomachine Reconstruction - Level 5

{Use nanomachines to repair your own body or someone else's.} 

[Finally,] Gabriella could almost cry. [Finally, someone who isn't a literal insect.] 

More than anything else, she wanted to fight this person now. But, at the same time, the more reasonable part of her mind did take note of one unfortunate fact. 

[The gap between our Skills could lead to my actually losing this battle. Agh, I wish they'd just sent me here with my abilities at a higher level.] 

There was a ringing sound. 

"Ma'am?" Unit - 101 began to speak to someone Gabriella could not see. "She is not one of us. Should I proceed with the interrogation? Yes? Very well. I shall alter my questions to fit the situation." 

Putting her focus back on Gabriella, Unit - 101 asked: 

"Gabriella Deathwind, Level 100. Origin, unknown. Affiliation, unknown. How have you gained your abilities and why are you attacking protected people?" 

"My abilities? I was born with them," Gabriella answered. She knew how it sounded but it was literally true. "As for the second question, I do not know who is and who is not protected. I needed money, so I looked for a bounty. That was all. I'm new in town, so a lot is still a mystery to me." 

Unit - 101 looked away. 

"Ma'am, did you hear that?" She paused again, presumably being spoken to by someone Gabriella could not see. 

The former sorceress's hands were twitchy. She wanted something to happen, but at the same time, she knew it would be unwise to start anything herself. 

"Mhm... Yes. Understood." Unit - 101 turned toward her. "We will be in contact with you. For now, the CEO of AlliviaCorp would like to kindly request that you refrain from disturbing the peace. As I am sure you are aware by now, your abilities and those of AlliviaCorp's enforcers are similar, and your actions are having a negative effect on our reputation. Cease." 

"... That sounds great, but why should I care?" Gabriella asked, stepping forward. "I need to make money somehow." 

"You should care because listening to us means I won't have to kill you now." 

Gabriella grinned. 

"You're certainly welcome to try." 

Unit - 101 flinched. Not a reaction of fear, but of having been about to go on the attack only to be stopped by whatever person she was speaking to. 

"Yes?" She asked again. "Very well. We will forward an advance payment to your bank account while you give us time to come up with an appropriate countermeasure for the situation. Please, provide me with your information." 

"I do not have a bank account." 

"In that case, AlleviaCorp will set one up for you. We will reach out to you soon with its information. Is that enough to get you to lay low for a while?" 

Gabriella considered the offer. 

[AAAAAGH! I want to fight her so bad, but... It would be good to have some time to properly develop my skills.]

Gabriella slumped, dejected.

[I guess I should take the deal.] 

"Sure." 

"Very well." 

Suddenly, the lady disappeared. 

Her voice was still in the air, though. 

"Please, make sure to pay attention to your phone, as we will be in contact." 

Finally, Gabriella was actually alone now. 

She sighed deeply. 

[... So, strength does exist in this world. That is good to know.] 

17