Chapter 18
111 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Message one hundred and eight

I hope you’re dead, I hope you’re never going to read this, I hope someone finds this and uses it to hurt someone like you. If nothing else, I hope no one else goes through what I’m going through right now. Because it’s Hell, Lucas. And you sent me there.

Chapter 18

My brain was working overtime on disaster as I watched the seconds on my timer tick until forty eight hours became forty seven. We had been in space for over a day and had nothing to show for it. My mind became awash in images of Earth being overrun by Tangerian death squads, hunting down every last human they see. I saw my co-workers getting blasted as they tried to run, children crying at the feet of their parents’ corpses, and my own mom and dad being made to kneel as a final simple shot burst their heads open like watermelon. Or maybe it wouldn’t be so complex. Maybe it would be as simple as a single shot from some planet destroying mega weapon, or a virus let loose to slowly kill every last living thing. Whatever it was, it was going to come. And it would be all my fault.

I was at least distracted from our current situation. We were being held in a unit on Critwell belonging to the Tangerian Police. When we came in, the place was chaos. Officers were carting arrested aliens left and right. Some were sitting in interviews, others were yelling curses and pushing to be let go. I caught the smell of something cooking in what I guessed was a break room and it made my stomach growl, but no food came. Maybe it was because they were so busy, and maybe that’s why all three of us were crammed into a small white cell. Four walls and one large metal exit with a red light indicating it was locked. A single table with two chairs was at its center where Krazmundo was propped up. He looked like he was taking a nap. I occupied the only cot in the corner, curled up in my wandering mind, while Lucas had been pacing the room “Dammit they can’t do this to us.” He said.

“Can it, hon.” Krazmundo said, eyes still shut, “You know these boot lickers, they gotta fill paperwork and get signatures, all just to stall for time.”

“We had a deal!”

“I heard you the first three hundred times.” I said, “so do something about it or shut up.”

He ran his hand against the door, “Don’t you think I’ve tried? They’ve changed the locking mechanism on these. I can’t get my finger under it or anything.”

“You’ve been arrested before? And broke out?”

“Yes. But that’s not why I’m so familiar with these. I wonder if they built this lock just for me.”

“What do you mean?”

“I used to work with these guys.”

I rolled over to face him, “You? A military brat?”

“What can I say? It helped me transition.” He said, and walked over to sit down next to the cot.

“When?”

“When I came up here.”

“These guys were the ones you were talking to? On the radio?”

“Yeah. They monitor all the foreign frequencies. The Tangerian army is the main branch of the law out here. That was all in the original papers when they founded the Five Galaxies. The Tangerians handle the wars, the policing, and all of that nonsense on every Council controlled planet.”

I sat up, “And you were a part of that? What was it like?”

He laced his fingers, “It was kinda neat. Got to see a lot of new planets, learn some new things. But then I- oh well. Nevermind.”

“What?”

“Nothing. This is all just stupid gay space stuff, right? We’ll focus on getting this sorted and getting you home.”

“But you-”

“I’ll talk to mom.” He raised his hand like he was hushing a kid at the supermarket, “but after that I’m out of your life for good.”

He said all of that without looking at me. He just kept staring at the door, a complete one eighty from how loose he had been acting up until now. Krazmundo seemed happy about it, and maybe I should have been too. So why was my stomach still in knots?

The door slid open and it was like flipping a switch. Lucas smiled as Zwendel walked in gripping a stack of paper with two other Tangerians behind her. “Well now, I wish I was more surprised to see you all here.” She said.

“This is bullshit, you know.” Lucas said, standing. “Silmon’s prop? Is that suddenly out the window?”

“This is an outer security unit in charge of Critwell. Do you think they knew anything at all about our talk?”

“You guys are usually so strict on your memos, I figured it was at least a footnote.” Lucas said. Zwendel motioned to the two guards behind her and they nodded in return. They left, and just before the door slid shut I saw them take posts on either side of it. Zwendel took off her helmet, revealing a long green face with tentacles that flowed like hair just past her neck. She looked at me with those burning copper eyes and I quickly looked away just to try and ease tension.

“Awh babe,” Lucas said, eyeing her, “I’m flattered really, but kissing in front of Kraz seems kind of gauche. Unless you’re into that, I mean.”

Krazmundo sighed and straightened himself on the chair, “Zwendel. How ya been?”

“Up to my neck in paperwork.” She said, “General Rupture wanted this to be as quiet as possible. How am I supposed to do that if you go breaking into nightclubs, playing subliminal music, and causing explosions?!”

“Subliminal?” I said. “So the music-”

Lucas cut me off, “Well the first thing you can tell Rupture is that we didn’t break into the nightclub, we walked in like everyone else. Anything after that you can’t possibly tie us to.”

“Except the hundreds of witnesses we have putting an Earth woman in purple and her little weird friend climbing the DJ tower and causing so much commotion the place had to be evacuated!” She slammed the paper down, spreading a pile of blurry pages across the table. I stood to get closer for a better look. Each was a hastily taken photo of us just a few hours before. Most of them were of me and Lucas, while some had Krazmundo and even Bedaup in them. One in particular caught my eye. It was me and Lucas dancing through the crowd. Seeing me in the center of all the madness made me pause. Was I smiling there? Was I actually having a good time? I held it for a moment longer than the others.

“Who took all of these?” Lucas asked.

“Most of it is regular surveillance footage. Some from weirdos who just have to document their whole lives online. And well, look at you two. You don’t exactly fit in with this crowd.”

“You said the song was subliminal?” I asked. “We were told to play a song. We had no idea what it was, it was just supposed to be a signal.”

“What exactly was it?” Krazmundo asked.

“A hymn.” Zwendel said. 

“No I’m a her, but what was the song?” Lucas said then immediately raised his hand for a high five from anyone, “Huh? Huh? Come on, that was funny.”

He was ignored.

“A hymn? Like, for a religion?” I said.

“That explains it.” Krazmundo said, “A good chunk of the club was acting like they were at church during that song. I saw so many of them either bowing or lowering their heads in some kind of silent prayer.”

“It belongs to Those Who See.” Zwendel said, “A hymn calling for the destruction of our Council for the supposed good of the universe.” She flicked through the papers and settled on one that I couldn’t read. “Translations are sketchy, as they have their own language that’s hard to decipher, but our best guess is that it talks about a god coming from a far off world to usher in a new millennium of dominion.”

“Standard cult stuff.” Lucas sniffed.

“Why would Eli have us play something like that?” I said, despite a sudden smattering of shushes from Lucas.

“Eli?” Zwendel said, “you were working with Eli? And I’m supposed to believe you’re innocent?”

“You know him?” I said.

“He’s notorious. He sets up deals all around this galaxy. We all know who he is, but we can’t touch him. He’s got enough connections to keep him out of reach. No one can pin him.” She looked directly at me, “just his flunkies.”

Lucas sighed, “Zwen, come on. We have to get things done and you know that means we have to get our hands dirty. We weren’t trying to kill anybody.”

“And yet there are bodies.”

“It was just supposed to be a drop off, right?” I said, “we were supposed to meet with somebody and give them this thing. It was a sphere.”

“Sphere?”

“The one you confiscated.” Krazmundo huffed, “And I want my rifle back too.”

“You’ll get those back when I say you can.” Zwendel said. “Why were you delivering this sphere for Eli?”

“He said it would lead to information.” Lucas said.

“And you believed him?”

“What choice did we have?”

“Yeah we’re kind of on a timer.” I said, and pointed to my wrist. “Or if you’re feeling nice you could take it off.”

“We had a deal.”

“Which you’re breaking right now.” Lucas said, “and I’ve got a feeling you’re not gonna refund us these last two hours, so let us go and get back to our investigation and you can tell Rupture about the lovely conversation you had with his old dog.”

Zwendel seemed a little hurt, “Cassandra, you weren’t a dog.”

“Of course I was! You all are!” Lucas said, “Every last one of you is doing the best you can just to get Daddy Rupture’s notice so that maybe you get a cramped place to live, but at least everything is pretty, proper, and pure right?”

Zwendel suddenly grew taller, and she approached Lucas, “We are not going to go through this again, soldier.”

“Oh, old pet names coming back to ya, sweetie?”

“Will you both shut up?” Krazmundo said. “I’ve put up with it from the flealich over there, I don’t need this from both of you too. Zwendel, just let us go. Whatever the Hell this cult is has nothing to do with us”

Zwendel declined, “If you were with Eli, and Eli made you play this song, then they’re connected.”

“So you’re keeping us here?”

“I didn’t say that.” Zwendel said and marched back to the table. Her tentacles fixed the papers back into a stack and delivered them into her hands. “You’re going free, but I’m coming with you.”

“What?” Lucas said, “No sorry. This is a pretty strict trio. We kind of have our own vibe going on. Getting a fourth member, well that’s just a little too many cooks I think.”

“If you think I’m going to let a lead like you get away you’re joking.”

“The deal was that we investigate Matt. We’ll be just fine without you.”

 Zwendel crossed her arms, “fine. If you go alone you’re going without your weapons.”

Krazmundo scowled at Lucas wordlessly. He went red, “fine.”

“And the sphere?” I said.

“Stays with us.” Zwendel said, “If that thing is related to Those Who See, then we need to examine it. You understand.”

I nodded, more than willing to let that thing go. Lucas and Krazmundo seemed more hesitant, but really, what choice did they have? The door opened and we all got ready to go. Then Zwendel turned around and put her helmet back on, “The first place you’re going to take me is where you met Eli.”

Lucas gulped, “Sure. I bet he’s going to be so happy to see you.”

***

Eli’s place was empty.

The fixtures were gone, the tables laid bare, chairs were tipped over, menus were torn. Any notion that this was a working diner just that day were gone. Critwell was dark, shifted into a night cycle, and so the only light coming in was the buzzing green neon sign that filtered through the diner’s blinds. Lucas walked inward, “dammit. I knew something was weird about all of this.” he said.

I came in, and could still smell hints of Eli’s sweet scent in the air. I did my best to ignore it and tried to stay as close to the front door as possible.

Zwendel kicked a chair over, “Eli was hiding out here?”

“I know. It’s a dump.” Krazmundo said, “Food was alright, I guess.”

“You’re kidding? I wouldn’t be caught dead in a place like this for food.”

Krazmundo smirked, “ Guess that’s why Cass likes me and not you. I’m more adventurous”

“You’re just cocky.” Zwendel said. She turned to me, “Did Eli say anything about going anywhere? A second hideout, another job? Anything?”

“No. Nothing.” I said, “What makes you think he would even tell me?”

“Don’t play dumb with me,” She said, “I might be going along with you but that doesn’t mean I trust you. If you have any idea where Eli could be I suggest you spit it out. Now.”

“Relax, bad cop.” Lucas said from across the diner, “he’s about as useful to you as deodorant to a Smash player. Leave him alone. If we’re gonna get any answers we need to go deeper.” He gestured behind the counter and Zwendel nodded. She left me alone to go with him.

I stood there awkwardly with Krazmundo, who was in the corner worrying over his rifle. “I don’t think I saw you use that thing much at the club, you know.” I said.

“I don’t like to.” Krazmundo replied, “If I can’t get a job done without it then I’ll use it.”

“Anti-guns?”

“More like pro-fists.” He said. “Cass is the one who’s better with a gun.”

“She missed so many times.”

“Well Bedaup is near laser-proof. Why are you complaining anyway? You haven’t done anything but run.”

“I don’t plan on fighting if I can stand it.” I said.

“And how’s that going?”

“With you guys? Horribly.”

A chittering noise grabbed my attention away. I looked about the room, “Did you hear that?”

“No.”

It happened again. Quick little squeaks from behind the counter. I left Krazmundo alone to see what was going on.

I came into the backroom. It was about as dressed up as the rest of the place, and just as well lit. A small chair sat across from a basic little stovetop and fridge. A large opaque jar was on the ground next to it, sealed tight, and just behind it was a curtain covering another doorway. I assumed Zwendel and Lucas were inside.

The noise happened again. Something in this room was either trying to get my attention or doing a poor job of hiding. I followed the sound to the jar on the floor. Just as I got close, a furry little circle darted out from behind it and scurried to the nearest corner. Unfortunately that didn’t seem to be the best move, as it got confused there. It turned around to look at me. It was the Drex from before, and it seemed horrified that I had returned. I got down to my knees, “hey hey, it’s okay. I’m not going to hurt ya.”

The Drex crawled back on its tiny feet. It seemed to be glancing between me and the jar. I pointed at it, “You want something from there?”

The jar was too big for me to pick up with one hand, but I was able to slide it across the tiled floor between us. It felt heavy, and whatever was inside was moving. I looked back at the Drex. “This isn’t what I think it is, is it?”

The Drex did nothing, just kept looking at me with those dinner-plate eyes. I placed a hand on the lid and twisted it off. As soon as I did, a cacophony of squeaks and screams erupted forth. It was a jar full of Drex. They were huddling into each other so tightly it seemed to swirl like fuzzy peanut butter. A few of them bustled to escape and I nearly lost control of the jar, but was able to steady it. “Okay! Okay hey, relax. Eli’s gone. You guys will be fine.”

They didn’t seem convinced, and the one who started all of this was shutting its eyes in fear. I gripped either side of the jar with both of my hands and carefully tipped it over. It didn’t touch the ground before the Drex inside began to pour out. The jar fell with them, it rolled out as the Drex surged for freedom. I watched them cover the floor in front of me, a wave of squeaking little fuzzballs. They scattered across the floor, no doubt looking for the way out. I cast a glance over to the one in the corner, who was still covering its eyes.

“Hey, it’s okay.” I said, and reached out for it. It felt so soft, even as it trembled in fear. “Your friends are safe now, I promise. Go ahead, look.”

He opened one eye, chittered, then opened the other. It seemed to squeal in glee as it realized that the jar was empty. It looked up at me and burrowed into the palm of my hand. “Aw, you’re welcome.” I said and stroked its chin with my finger, “you shouldn’t have to live out here without your friends.”

“Gross.” Krazmundo’s voice. I looked up and realized he was watching from the kitchen doorway, arms folded and smirking. “Playing with your food again, huh?”

The Drex took the opportunity to skitter away. “Shouldn’t you be helping Lucas with investigating or something?” I said.

“I could be asking you the same question.” He crossed his arms and leaned back. “What’s your aim, anyway?”

“What do you mean?”

“Even after all of this. She’s not going back, you know.”

“Of course sh- Lucas is. We made a deal.”

Fusthu, you’re kidding yourself if you think she meant it.”

“Talking like that isn’t exactly winning any favors with me.”

“Well what do you think will happen?” He stomped over, “She’s just going to magically decide to start faking it again? Living on some stupid planet knowing she’s seen all of this, been all of this? And so what? You can kiss her again?””

“Who told you I kissed him?”

“Who do ya think? She tells that story all of the time. That last little night at infinity's doorstep and a kiss that couldn’t change anything.”

I stepped up to him, tired by the rage which flavored everything I ever did. God I was so sick of it, but still I needed it.. “Stop talking like that. You weren’t there, you don’t know-”

“Well there’s at least one thing I do know. She has better things to do than you.”

I couldn’t stop myself. My hand was already cocked back before I knew it and slammed into his hard bony stomach, the only place I could reach. He didn’t move, probably didn’t even feel it. But the pain that surged up my arm and spasmed my shoulder confirmed the hit. I grabbed at it, and held it for as long as I could.

“Pathetic.” He said. “If you even had one chance to take her back, you’d be too caught up in your own little pity party to do it.”

I avoided his eyes, and the sniggering grin I could feel. But the worst part was, he was right.

“Hey! You guys might want to see this.”

Lucas’s voice. Krazmundo and I followed it into the curtained off area. Inside was a small mattress balanced on a rickety frame. There was a fridge that was open wide, chilling the whole room, and several lumps of what looked like shed lizard skin piled high inside. A strange rotten-sweet smell came from it. Krazmundo and I covered our faces.

“Eugh, what happened?” Krazmundo said.

“Not sure.” Lucas said, “Eli might have been shedding, but this looks like a rush job.”

“Would his skin have changed that much?” I said, “maybe he’s trying to disguise himself.”

“There’s something else.” Zwendel said. “And I don’t think you’re going to like it.”

She whipped out a thin sheet of paper. I took it. It was some kind of photograph torn slightly on its edges and had been crumpled and folded so many times it was hard to make out. I held it up to the green flickering lights and squinted to see just what it was. My fingers trembled as I recognized the figure which was in it, completely oblivious that his picture was even being taken.

“This doesn’t make sense.” I said, “how does he have this?”

“He might have more.” Krazmundo said.

Lucas folded his arms, “this is the only one I found, but that’s not unlikely. He may have dropped it in his rush to get out. On the bright side-” He slapped my shoulder and grinned, “you look good from this angle.”

I couldn’t understand how he could laugh about this, I was horrified. It was a photo of me leaving my apartment, taken from high up in the sky. From the surrounding trees it had to be sometime in the Summer, long before any of this had been happening. Before I knew it, before all of this, before I could even try to stop it this had already begun.

Eli was watching me.

“This doesn’t make any sense.” I said, “how did Eli even know who I was?”

Krazmundo looked to Lucas, “Like I said. She likes to kiss and tell.”

“This doesn’t help your case.” Zwendel said.

Lucas groaned, “Oh come on, look at the photo! Eli was stalking him!”

“Well if you have something to say I suggest y- hang on.”

She pressed a finger to her helmet and held up another for us to be quiet. “Zwendel. Whatcha got?” After enough time for a reply, her voice wavered. “Are you sure?” She looked toward me, “Keep him contained. I’ll be there. Out.”

“What’s going on?” I said, “did they find Eli?”

“No.” She brushed past us, “But we need to go back to the Outpost. And you better hope it’s not as bad as it sounds.”

5