S2 RE:volt! Chapter 2: Scavies
89 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

S2 RE:volt! Chapter 2: Scavies

“Anything good?” Ark asked, approaching the scruffy scarred boy in leathers who was busy sorting through the loot of bloodstained armor freshly dumped on the bloody soil in front of him by Morgana.

“Nope. Most of the good stuffs been picked through already.” Isa sighed, holding up a rended metal chest plate and shaking out a wooden tablet from the interior. “Nothing we can really use. Morgana and Axel found some credit cards, but they were taken by a Captain. Lots of tablets though, so, some credits. I think I have enough to buy an apple now.”

Ark looked down, eyeing the blood-stained bucket beside Isa filled with tiny wooden tablets. Each stick, inscribed with the name, date of birth, and hometown of the bearer. A way to organize and identify the dead, something that was unheard of during Ark’s time.

“Keep up the good work.” Ark said, sweeping his eyes over the interior of the fortress. 

As mercenaries, Ark and the others weren’t technically allowed spoils of war. This included looting bodies. However, thanks to Ark’s and his crew’s performance in the last few skirmishes, Felone had negotiated the right of Spoilia Corporum, the right to loot bodies. 

This right extended only to the enemy soldiers of course, with Ark and the others forced to take the wooden tabs from every corpse they looted to present to a Prior to be paid. It wasn’t much, roughly about ten credits per, enough to buy a small slice of fruit, so Ark didn’t complain. After all, at the end of the day it all added up.

“Fucking scavs.” A Belfroet soldier muttered, walking with a group of soldiers nearby with a scowl on his face. 

Of course what Ark and the others were doing wasn't popular, and was considered shameful to the Belfoet soldiers gathered about, but Ark didn’t care.

Honor and shame were for those who had the means to care. 

To their persons, Ark and his group had thirty-thousand credits. Enough for a stay at an inn for his entire group for roughly two weeks. Warm sheets, breakfast, baths… peace.

Then it would be back to the frontlines, fighting in someone else’s wars. Killing for money. Looting bodies. Rinse and repeat.

But, at least they were getting paid.

“Mr. Loyd. Mr. Loyd with the Nobodies was it?”

Ark spun, turning to the blonde man in blue vestments. 

“Depends on who's asking?” Ark said, narrowing his eyes at the squinty eyed skinny fellow.

“My name is Marcus Versay, I'm an apothecary with the Medicorps.” The man said, drawing Ark's eyes to the green armband on the man's bicep. 

“You're an Ostian.” Ark frowned, wondering why an enemy soldier was walking around an occupied fortress. 

“Ah, yes but no. I am a healer with the Medicorps of the Imperium.” 

“Ok?” Ark said, his hand inching towards the hilt of the iron sword at his waist at the prospect of an enemy mage standing so close to him.

The skinny man's brows raised, realizing that his words meant nothing to Ark. 

“Ah! One moment sir! Before you draw your blade, please permit me to inform you that as a Medic, I am protected under the rule of his imperial majesty during times of territorial war!” Marcus recited quickly, the man producing a piece of paper with the symbol of a gold crown made of what appeared to be dragon scales. 

Everytime I see that symbol it never ceases to piss me off. Irelix hissed, the dragon discontented about her species being used for the symbol of her and Ark's mutual enemy.

“I see.” Ark said with Isa staring at the man. “What do you want?”

“Ah, right to the point. Yes, I am in need of protection.” 

“Protection?” Ark said, brow raised at the man who gave off the faint whiff of mana. Orange… maybe yellow core? 

“Ah yes, I am destined to return to my dispatch and I beseech thee aid for my travels.” 

“Ok? You have two working legs and arms. What do you need me for?” Ark said, crouching low to pick out wooden tabs out of the pockets attached to bloodstained armor. 

“Well, you see the roads of his holy imperium are fraught with much danger with the war and all, and I would like to hire your company to escort me to Otenguar in case of highwaymen.” 

“Can’t you use the protection of his holy majesty to shield you from these threats? Just brandish your paper at the bandits. I’m sure they’ll drop their axes and clubs.” Ark snickered with Isa smiling and the medic frowning.

“Well, it is often said that the quill is mightier than the sword, but if your foes are illiterate what good is a quill?” Marcus said, drawing Ark’s interest.

Huh…

“Talk to my manager Felone. He handles the work.” Ark waved off, pocketing several wooden tabs as Seventeen strolled up, the girl skipping towards the pair through a crowd of bodies with two bags of wooden tabs.

“Hiya! Look how many I got!” Seventeen exclaimed with excitement, depositing the bags with a clink in front of Ark who smiled and opened the bags to eye the chips. “Did I do good?”

“Yeah, real good.” Ark smiled before turning the bag to Isa. “What’s that, like nine? Ten apples?”

“Solid ten. Has to be.” Isa leaned over and replied. 

“Ehem.” Marcus began, clearing his throat. “I have sir, he felt it was apt I introduce myself to you and inquire your… opinion as his employees.”

Ark and Isa both looked up at the man as Seventeen picked up a torn leather thigh guard and placed it over her chest. 

“How much are you paying?” Ark asked. 

“Three thousand credits, plus I can offer the accommodations of our dispatch station for so long as you remain in our chantry.” 

Ark turned to Isa. 

“What's three thousand divided by six?” Ark asked, quizzing the boy.

The scarred boy paused, narrowing his eyes as if deep in thought. 

“Fi-” Seventeen began but Ark hushed her by placing his hand on the girl’s mouth who's response was to lick his hand.

Ark bopped her on the head.

“Five hundred.” Isa replied as Ark turned to Seventeen.

“And how far is Otengaur from here?” Ark asked, directing the question to Seventeen to inquire if she’d been keeping up with her studies.

“Two days!” The girl beamed with Ark dusting his hands before he rose to his feet to face the man.

“Five hundred per person for a two day trip. Two-hundred and fifty per day. Minus our manager’s fee of twenty percent, so two hundred. Enough for four apples.” Ark said, drawing a look of surprise from the man who didn't realize Ark was capable of such arthimitic. “Do we look like we’re only worth four apples a day to you?”

“It’s what I can afford sir. None of the Belfroet soldiers are keen to assist thee and you are the only independent mercenary that can aid me in my time of need.” Marcus said, his hands clenching the paper of Roland’s symbol as Morgana reappeared along with Axel with more loot stripped from corpses. “I ask thee out of the kindness of your heart, If I were to walk these roads, I am surely not to survive.”

Pathetic, a grown man begging his youngers to protect him.

The gathered group paused, none saying a word before Axel and Morgana both broke out into chuckles that devolved into laughter.

“Yeah, probably. Where is all your muscles?” Morgana asked, walking up and pinching the man who flinched.

Ark.

What?

I believe that this man could help introduce a skill set that your party does not possess. 

Ark blinked, caught off guard by the dragon’s thoughts.

Oh? And what skill would that be?

Healing you dounce. Irelix said, making Ark realize she had a point. With this battle, their contract with Zeltoya had expired, meaning they would need work.

Between the constant battles, marching, and hunting for their own food, Ark barely had any time to teach his cohort how to use mana.

“Morgan. What did I say about touching clients?” Ark said, causing the tanned and muscular girl to turn his way.

“But he’s so scrawny! Look at him, even Seventeen has more muscle than him.” Morgana said with Seventeen flexing her skinny arms as the man went red in the face. 

Isa turned to Ark, picking up on his word usage. 

“Client?” Isa whispered. 

“Yeah.” Ark said, approaching the man and pushing Morgana away from the medic. “You said you’re a healer right?” 

“Yes sir.” The man replied respectfully as Ark rubbed his nose.

“Would you be able to teach someone how to use healing magic?” Ark asked, causing the man’s eyes to widened. 

“With all due respect, in order to learn magic, an astute mind is-”

“I know what is needed.” Ark said before lifting his hand and speaking the word. “Spark.”

Immediately Ark’s hand sparked with flame, the medic’s expression in a state of shock at the secret Ark unveiled. 

“Y-y-you-can use mag-” 

“It’s not for me.” Ark interrupted. “But for someone else. We’ll escort you if you can offer insights to using healing magic.”

It took a moment before the man recovered.

“So… my knowledge… in exchange for safe passage?”

“That and the money. And upfront too. We aren’t a charity.” Ark said, his eyes tracking Alice in the distance walking with Felone.

 

6