RE:volt! Chapter 51: Deal with the Devil
107 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

RE:volt! Chapter 51: Deal with the Devil

“Tell me…” Ark said, rubbing his arm that hung in a makeshift sling of vines as he stood face to face with the butler after sending everyone away. “Why were you tracking me?”

The red-eyed butler closed his eyes before kneeling. 

“My apologies sir, but I cannot say.” Sebastian replied.

“Can’t or won’t?” Ark said, narrowing his eyes at the demon.

“Can’t sir.”

“Is it because of your contract?”

“...”

“Who do you serve?”

“...”

Useless. I won’t get answers out of him like this.

“What do you want from me?”

“Your exquisite soul.” The butler replied instantly before coughing. “And to be useful to you sir.”

“And what use can you be to me?” Ark said, glaring at the demon as he took a seat on a nearby rock. “You are currently bound to another master and I have no use for someone’s sloppy seconds. If you can’t devote yourself fully and obey my will and reason, why should I keep a parasite in my ploy?”

At Ark’s words the demon seemed to shiver, not out of fear but out of barely contained excitement as he lowered his head. 

“Ah your words are akin to sweet honey on toast to my ears sir. Please berate me more.”

“Cut the crap. You mephisto’s don’t need to eat. What would you know what honey and toast taste like?”

The demon giggled. “Ah, but you are mistaken sir. We can consume and subsist off of human culinary arts. However nothing beats the extravagance of a meal rightfully earned. The texture of a well-lived human is amongst the finest pleasures a being could ever experience. Ecstasy like no other. My earnest wish is that you live a long and fulfilling life.”

Monkey meat is a bit gamey for my taste.

No one asked you lizard. Ark replied back to the dragon before addressing the mephisto.

“So you can consume my soul?” 

The demon smiled. 

“Consume is such a terrible choice of word for what I do.” The butler smiled. “No, what I want is to satiate myself on your soul, pluck at your essence bit by bit like a hunter preparing a chicken for roast. And then, ONLY when you are well marinated and slathered with seasoning shall I engorge myself on your being, drown myself in all that is your essence until I am delivered into utter bliss.”

“K.” Ark replied, raising his brow. “Are you done running your mouth? I’m still waiting for the part where you tell me how you can be useful.”

The mephisto laughed. 

“Of course sir. Pardon my crassness, but you are a runaway slave who possesses no documentation, no identification, and furthermore, no backing. A being that is currently sitting upon an area that will soon be ripe with the echoes of human suffering and warfare.” The mephisto cleared its throat as Ark stared at it with indifference. “As you may be aware, documentation papers and credit cards are required by law for all citizens. As a slave, you possess no social score, no points. No one would be willing to deal with you or your cohorts.”

Social score? Points? This was the first Ark was hearing of this system of credit.

“I’m aware of these facts.” Ark said as he eyed rustling nearby, the telltale signs of snoopers.

“But what if I told you that I could ease the burden of undoing one’s shackles? That I could acquire you documentation. And not just for you but your entire party.” The butler said.

Ark mulled the thought over as he stared at the demon. 

“What’s in it for you?” 

“An investment.” The butler smiled. “I feel strongly that you and I shall have many dealings together.”

“Oh? Is that so? Care to elaborate?”

The mephisto remained silent, the butler either bound by his contract not to answer or simply playing coy. 

“How are you so sure we'll have future dealings? What if I destroy you here and now for annoying me?” Ark asked, changing his question and causing the butler to break out into a wide smile.

“Because I can see it, smell it. The shadow murder lingers on your body. You exude it, a dark desire for the destruction of another for a great misgiving they have committed against you.” Sebastian said, cocking his head. “But even if you got your revenge. I can see that you wouldn't be happy.”

Ark said nothing, instead choosing to maintain his indifferent expression. It was no secret a mephisto could sniff out the desires of others so Ark was woefully unimpressed.

“An investment huh?” Ark said before standing up and walking towards the demon. “What if I don't want an investment, but a deal?”

At the mention of “deal” the mephisto licked its lips, looking at Ark with wide puppy eyes. 

“Really-?”

“But not for my soul.” Ark said, the excitement on the mephisto’s face draining.

“Oh…”

“What if I were to off you the souls of those I kill?” Ark whispered, crouching down with his hand on the butler's shoulder as he brought his face close. 

The demon blinked, looking up at Ark with wide eyes. 

“I can give you a feist. One that will make you bloated. A demon of your caliber, you must serve a noble right?” Ark said, holding the gaze of the demon who didn’t reply, cementing Ark’s suspicions. “He must let you out, what? Once? Two? Three times a year to seek out prey?”

An assumption Ark made based on the amount of puppets he’d seen. It was too few for a demon of his strength.

“What if I could double it? Triple your meals?” 

“And how do you plan on accomplishing that sir?” The demon said, all smiles. 

“Simple. You said a war was coming. Plenty of humans itching to die.” Ark said, drawing a look from the mephistos as the boy stood up.

“You realize what will happen to those you offer up to me right?” Sebastian said, staring at Ark with serious eyes.

“Oh… I’m well aware. In fact I’m counting on it.” Ark said, imaging Roland and the others being tormented and fed on for decades before their existences were erased by the demon.

At Ark’s words, the being broke out into a wide and giddy smile, sharp fangs that revealed the true nature of the predator.

“In return you will answer to me when I call, fulfill tasks in a timely manner, and report to me your dealings so long as it doesn’t violate your aforementioned oaths.” Ark said. “Do this for me, and I will one day give you souls so rich in memory that you will ascend to heaven from the taste alone.”

Sebastian raised his brow, unsure if what he was hearing was bravado or the exaggeration of a youth. However the shadow of death that enveloped Ark that was unseen by everyone but Sebastian, spoke volumes of Ark’s commitment to the deeds he would go on to perpetuate. 

“Ah, a contract such as this is well within my power.” 

“Good.” Ark said as he reached his hand out to the butler who took it.

“I look forwar-” Sebastian began but was suddenly halted by Ark, his eyes exuding his draconic side and giving the mephistos pause as the teen leaned in.

“If you betray me. If you raise a hand against me. I will hurt you. You know what I’m capable of.” Ark hissed, a bluff, but one he did to make sure the demon didn’t acquire any salacious thoughts. 

“Betray you? I wouldn’t dream of it sir.” The butler smiled as an air of mana rose into the air. “I accept all of your conditions.”

“And I, yours.” Ark spat as a crimson tendril of mana danced around Ark, shifting itself around his good arm and caressing his skin before it bit into his flesh, releasing a sizzling sound as a tattoo was grafted onto Ark’s forearm.

The nearby shrubbery shifted, the visible outline of Thirty-Four coming out only to be stopped by two others and dragged back.

Ark maintained his grip with the demon, both staring at one another until the process was completed and Ark sported a tattoo of runes arcing along from his forearm to his bicep. 

“For your victims, you need only touch them as they enter death’s door and they will be welcomed by me.” Sebastian explained, licking his lips as he released Ark.

Ark gazed at his arm. 

Crude. But it works. Irelix commented as the butler bowed his head.

“What would you will of me to do young master?” Sebastian said.

Ark took a breath before casting his eyes towards a certain group of nosey individuals. 

“Papers. Documents. You said it yourself, documentation papers are required and so are credit cards.” Ark said before he turned his head. “I think it’s time we had names."

4