Entrance Exams
53 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello and welcome back to another chapter. I hope you enjoy it!

I don’t own Violet Evergarden or MHA, please support all official releases.


Violet walked down the pavement towards U.A, blue parasol in hand while dressed in her Doll work clothes. While she did have the option to wear something else, she chose not to for the sake of efficiency. She had some more setting up to do after she was done with the exams and she found the dress adequate for use anyway. She didn’t even think twice about the people around her giving strange looks her way.

Rounding the corner, she spotted the gate to one of the most prestigious Academy’s in the world, hundreds of students pouring in. Some of the best heroes in the world have graduated from here, and she would possibly become one of those very few who would get accepted.

But that wasn’t on her mind at the moment, not by a long shot. Instead, she was focused on one thing and that was to take this exam and do the absolute best she could. She was ready. She studied as much as she could on the written part these past few days and the practical shouldn’t be too hard for her, though she wouldn’t underestimate anything they throw at her during it. She’s learned not to do such things over the years.

Walking, she saw a green haired boy with freckles staring at the sign leading into the building in wonderment, almost like he couldn’t believe he was here.

“Out of my way, Deku!” Violet heard with her superior hearing. A blonde haired boy pushed past the other one and marched straight towards the doors of U.A, completely ignoring everyone else around him. It seemed like the green haired one was about to reach out and speak, but he stopped himself short. His previous look of sadness was quickly replaced with one of determination as he looked at the advancing form of the boy. Straightening himself, he took his first step into the Academy.

… Only to immediately trip over himself.

However, before he could fall, a brown haired reached out and stopped him mid air.

She was sure that public use of a quirk was illegal, but considering she saw people break it multiple times both back in Germany and now in Japan, she didn’t quite care. She didn’t care about it in the first place anyway.

She watched as the now stunned still boy just remained there listening to the ramblings of the girl before after a little bit, she waved at him and made her way to the doors. Walking past the now blushing boy, she too followed after everyone else and entered the school.

She looked around and saw the chaotic conglomerate of examinees walk too-and-fro trying to find out where they were supposed to go. Having come prepared by completely learning the layout of the school already, she made her way towards the auditorium.

When she arrived, she saw that about half the seats were already taken up and the rest was quickly being filled. Subconsciously, she made her way to the main back row and sat in the corner seat, giving her a view of everyone in the auditorium.

She sat there and waited patiently as the rest of the participants poured in, till the last few had finally found their seats.

“HEY, ARE YOU KIDS READY!” Was heard all throughout the auditorium as the murmuring died out and the lights darkened except for on the center stage where the source of the loud voice came from.

‘Present Mic’ Violet thought to herself as she ran through everything she knew about the man. Though, it seems she wouldn’t have to if the fast murmuring from the green haired boy had anything to say about it. It wasn’t till a little bit later that he noticed it and stopped. Violet could practically feel the heat from his blush all the way from her seat.

“I SAID, ARE YOU READY!” Again, he was left to complete silence.

“Ok, tough crowd.” Present Mic muttered before he began going over what was going to happen.

“To start, you will begin on the written portion of the exam which will last exactly one and half hours. Afterwards, and the one I’m sure most of you are excited for, are the practical exams!” Present Mic exclaimed as a picture with three robots appeared on screen, one less than what was written on the paper, Violet noticed.

“Each villain that you see depicted here has a point value consisting of one, two, and three. Your objective during this exam is to destroy as many bots as you can, the more the merrier!

When the written exam is done, you will all be taken to a mock city to take your practical exam. So without further ado, let’s get star-“

“Excuse me!” A voice rang out, interrupting Present Mic. Looking down, Violet could see that it was a tall boy with blue hair. Curious as to why he interrupted Present Mic during a briefing, she paid attention.

“You said that there are only three villain types, yet clearly on the paper we were all given, it says that there are four! How could such a prestigious school like U.A make such a mistake!” He exclaimed loudly.

Though Violet too was curious as to why it wasn’t stated, she just chalked it up to U.A not wanting to give all the answers to them. It was one of the exercises that Major Gilbert and her would do when she was learning strategy and tactics from him.

“Great question! To answer, that last villain is more of a roadblock for you, being worth zero points! So it’s best if you just get out of its way!” Present Mic answered.

“Thank you! I apologize for interrupting! And you!” At that, he turned and pointed a finger at the green haired kid that Violet had seen outside earlier. He seemed to freeze up and meekly point to himself.

“Yes you, with the insistent muttering! Quit it, some of us are trying to pay attention! If you can’t spare us that common decency, then leave!” With his peace said, the blue haired boy sat down, the crowd letting out a few chuckles at the other boy’s expense. Said boy almost shrunk in on himself in embarrassment.

While Violet thought the muttering was distracting, she didn’t think much about it like the other guy did. She’s been through worse debriefings with people far louder than the freckled boy. All in all, she thought it was going quite well, but the tall boy must have thought otherwise.

“Yes… now that that’s out of the way, you may now begin on the written part of the exams! Can I get a Plus Ultra!” Again, Present Mic was met with silence.

With a dejected sigh, he turned around and made his way out. As he did that, the participants opened their books and began working on the tests they have been given.


Violet stared at the gates leading into city B. She knew she did well on the test they have given her, only having to guess on only a few questions.

Looking around, she observed her fellow participants. Some were nervous, others excited, some even looked visibly sick. She, on the other hand, was completely calm, only thinking of the best ways possible to eliminate the mock villains. She didn’t notice the slight rise of her heart rate as she stared at the gates, memories of past battles flashing through her mind. Sounds of gunfire, orders shouted, bodies-

“And go!” Quick as lightning, Violet took off into the city. Her mind was somewhere else now, somewhere in her five years of service. The Doll that was Violet Evergarden was put to the side for now, instead the soldier that has fought in a war for a third of her life has come out to do her duty.

The other participants stared at the wiredly dressed girl take off down the street, with her already coming face to face with three one pointers.

“Well, what’s the wait for! Follow her lead! There’s no countdowns in a real battle!” Present Mic said over the speakers. That seemed to wake up the students as they quickly got over their shock and ran right behind her.

Violet herself had her eyes locked in on fast approaching enemies. One of the robots punched forward so she raised her parasol in a block and threw it off balance, allowing her to punch the mock villain multiple times in the chest. Her steel hands almost seemed to blur as she punched right through the first one, killing it.

Using the corpse as a weapon, she picked it up and charged at the second. Slamming into the second one pointer, Violet quickly turned around and delivered a picture perfect round house kick to the third and final bits side. It buckled, and Violet took advantage, reaching up and tearing the bots head from its body.

The second bot was finally getting back up to up its feet, ready to battle once more. Violet quickly changed that though as she twirled her parasol and brought the point of it right in the middle of the bot’s head, destroying it.

Down the street, she saw two two pointers and a single three pointer. As quick as lightning, Violet blitzed after the robots, her mind hyper focused on taking out her enemies.


“I must say, that blonde haired girl in city B is doing quite well.” Midnight said from her position as she watched the screen showing city B.

“Indeed, she is handling my bots with ease.” Power loader too commented, with him being quite impressed by the display.

“What’s her name again?” Snipe asked from his chair.

“Violet Evergarden.” Nezu answered, his eyes glued to the screen showing Violet.

“Say, wasn’t she the one you told us to look out for?” Midnight inquired.

At her remark, all the teachers listened a little bit more closely to see what he would say. Just what was so special about that girl?

They soon got their answer as one of the two pointers got a lucky hit and snagged one of Violet’s gloves. Pulling, the glove came off her and revealed her steel hand for all to see.

The teachers were stunned at seeing that while Nezu had a grimace on his face. He was hoping that the information he was given was wrong, but it was unfortunately correct.

“Say, was she born with metal arms?” Midnight asked. She knew it was a dumb question, but she was hoping that what she was thinking didn’t actually happen.

With a sigh, Nezu answered, “Regrettably no, she has indeed lost both her arms.”

While they were speaking, Violet didn’t lose a step and blitzed the two pointer who stole her glove. Jumping, she retrieved her glove and put the robot in a chokehold with it. Such was the force of her pull, that the mock villain's head actually came off, netting her two more points.

Some of the teachers flinched at the gruesome display of taking out the bot.

“A villain attack?” Aizawa guessed, his tired eyes locked firmly on the screen.

“No, war.” Nezu said grimly, a frown spread across his face.

It took the staff a little while to register what he said, but it finally got through to them.

“Wait, are you saying she’s from France?” Allmight asked. It was common knowledge that France was on the defensive the whole war, so it was a safe bet to assume that she was from there.

Nezu, however, quickly shot that misconception down, “She’s from Germany. Conscripted at ten due to the power of her quirk, she had been in every large battle in Northern France. She even was at Intense, where she lost both her arms.” It was clear from his tone of voice that Nezu didn’t like the fact that a child was sent to war at such a young age, and the rest of the staff concurred with him.

“That poor baby.” Midnight sadly said, tears at the corner of her eyes just thinking of the horrors that Violet must have seen. She’s seen pictures of the aftermath of some battles and even footage battles actively taking place. To say she was sick to her stomach when she saw all of that was understatement. Though she’s been a pro for many years, Midnight was willing to bet that Violet has seen more carnage and bloodshed than she has tenfold. War only got a lot more bloody when quirks came about, and pictures, videos and testimonies from those who were in them could give credence to it.


While all that talking was going on, Violet didn’t slow down for a moment. There’s two quotes that she remembered from a former Soldier in the U.S Army from before the age of quirks, “Marines don’t believe in self defense, they believe in self offense.” And “Get aggressive enough, quickly enough.” That pretty much summed up her time in service in the German army and many people would attest to it.

She took out the last two pointer and the three pointer before she charged a trio of one pointers. Making quick work of them, she was off to rack up more points.

When she rounded the corner of the block, she spotted a pink skinned girl get thrown back by a two pointer. Looking around, Violet saw that the girl had already taken out a few other mock villains with what looked to be acid.

The girl was stunned for the moment from suddenly being tossed from her feet, and the two pointer was going to take full advantage of it. Just as it raised itself to strike, Violet took her parasol and threw it like a javelin. It sailed true and planted itself into the skull of the bot, netting Violet two extra points while saving someone else.

“Are you alright?” Violet asked in her barely accented, monotone voice. She helped the girl up while looking for any injuries on her. Seeing none, Violet quickly picked up her parasol and inspected it for any damage, thankfully, there weren’t any.

“I’m good, just a little rattled is all. Thanks for the save by the way, my name's Mina Ashido, it’s a pleasure to meet ya!” Mina’s bubbly voice rang as she dusted herself off, a smile on her face all the while despite just taking a decent blow.

“Violet Evergarden.” Violet quickly and curtly said as she did a small bow and turned around to hunt more bots.

Mina was about to stop her to talk a little bit more but decided against it. There was still this practical exam to worry about and she figured she could catch up with Violet after the exam.

Violet continued her blitz against the robots, taking out a few scores of bots within ten minutes, all the while helping people where she could. She suspected a hidden objective or test that had to deal with helping out her fellow contestants when they were in a bit of a pinch. Even if there wasn’t, Violet was still for some reason called to help when and where she could. She didn’t understand this feeling, but it felt right to her so she didn’t question it.

Just as she finished ripping her hand out of a three pointer’s back, the ground suddenly started to shake and she almost hit the floor on instinct. She stopped that motion however and was rewarded with the sight of a truly gargantuan bot that looked similar to the one on the dossier they were given.

“That’s the zero pointer!”

“Why is it so big!”

“There’s no way in hell we’ll be able to take that thing down!” Violet suspected that was the point of it.

The participants turned around and started to hightail it out of there, whether that be out of fear or to get more points was left up to them. Violet was just about to do the same, she even got to turning around but was suddenly stopped dead in her tracks.

“Help! I need some help!” A voice rang from near the giant robot. Looking, Violet saw a short purple haired girl trapped beneath some debris, desperately trying to wretch them off.

Violet’s heart began to pick up pace and the world began to slow down. She was no longer in an exam to possibly become a hero, fighting against her fellow participants for the chance at one of the most prestigious schools in the world, instead, all she saw was someone who desperately wanted to escape their confines. The rumbling of the ground and the sound of the treads of the zero pointer reminded Violet all too much of her time back in Northern France, back in the war. Back with the Major. All she could envision now was the Major trapped under that debris, all bloodied up, missing an arm and eye, and her being too weak to do anything. She already knew the sorrow of that experience, she was determined not to let it happen again.

Quick as lightning, Violet bolted over towards the trapped girl. Her eyes roamed up and down her body for any serious injuries. Thankfully, there didn’t seem to be any other than a possible bruised leg from the debris.

“Don’t worry, you’re going to be alright.” Violet reassured the girl when she arrived.

“Oh thank god, I thought I was going to be left out here. I’m Kyoka Jiro, by the way.” Jiro said as she let out a huge sigh of relief, beyond thankful that someone had come to her rescue.

“Looks like you could use some help!” The voice of Mina Ashido rang to Violet and Jiro as she slid next to Violet, trademark smile still on her face.

Violet nodded her way in thanks as the two of them began removing the pieces of debris from Jiro.

“Say, what are your names?” Jiro asked as she began helping them remove the debris as well.

Mina just responded in her usual bubbly tone, a smile still on her face. Violet was just about to answer, but from the corner of her eyes, she saw that the zero pointer had turned towards them and was making its way over. Both Mina and Jiro seemed to notice it as well if their fearful looks and their more hurried movements to remove debris were any indication.

Knowing that they needed a little more time and seeing that the biggest pieces were already moved, Violet decided to act.

“I’ll distract it for as long as I can, though I suggest you hurry.” Violet said as she stared down the approaching bot.

“Not to insult you, but I think that is a very bad idea!” Mina shouted at Violet, fear evident in her voice.

“I have been sufficiently in combat, you need not to worry about me.” With that, Violet sped towards the zero pointer, a hardened look in her eyes.


The staff of U.A were watching all of this go down while also observing the other city’s, especially city D.

“Well I be! I definitely wasn’t expecting for the zero pointer to be taken out in one shot!” Power loader exclaimed as he and the rest of the staff watched Izuku take out the zero pointer in one hit.

“That may be so, but it seems that the kid can’t even take his own quirk.” Aizaw pragmatically said, and it was true. The rest of the staff winced at the state of Izuku.

“That doesn’t look good.” Snipe said from his position. They watched as he fell to the ground, and just as they were holding their breaths for the impact, the girl that he saved from the zero pointer slapped him and he began to float.

“I’ll have Recovery Girl go to city D first.” Nezu stated as soon as Izuku touched down. Calling, he informed her to head for city D with due haste.

“Not to jinx it, but I think we are about to see another of your zero pointers be destroyed, Power Loader.” Midnight said, quite literally on the edge of her seat.

All the faculty that wasn’t watching city B soon tuned into it and watched as Violet, who had retrieved a missile from a destroyed three pointer, climbed the zero pointer like a professional mountain climber.

The overly large robot tried to swing for Violet, but she was too nimble. With a leap, she landed on top of its head.

Working quickly, she rapidly began punching at the top of its large, singular eye. With a few more devastating punches, Violet broke through the shell of the zero pointer, exposing all the sensitive wiring within. Arming the missile in her other hand, she hurriedly stuck it in the opening and made a hasty retreat. Just as she jumped off the zero pointer to a nearby building, the missile went off.

The zero pointer came to a halt and powered down, the missile that Violet stuck into it hit something vital, making her one of the very few who had ever destroyed one.

After making sure that it wouldn’t start up again, Violet ran over towards a slack jawed Mina and Jiro, who had witnessed the whole thing take place in front of them. After making sure that they were okay, with Violet even doing some rudimentary first aid on Jiro’s bruised leg, she bowed slightly to them and he’d off to rack up any more points she could. Though, she was willing to guess that she should be alright with the already sixty plus points she already accumulated.

“And that is time! Please stop all fighting and wait for Recovery Girl to come around to make sure there aren't any serious injuries.” Present Mic got out after his stupor and seeing that the time for the exams to end had just expired.

It was silent for a moment in the teachers area, till Aizawa of all people broke it.

“Why do I have a feeling she’s going to be a problem child?” Aizawa said with a sigh, though for those who looked close, they would be able to make out the smallest of smirks on his face. That got a chuckle from the vast majority of them all.

They watched as the students stopped their fighting and began to sit down and relax a bit, laughing and talking amongst one another.

Recovery Girl had just arrived at City D and had just healed Izuku of his injuries. Making sure everyone else was alright, she turned around and made her way to the next city to repeat the process.

Violet, upon hearing the instructions, dusted off her dress and sat down on one of the few remaining park benches. Everyone looked at her with awe in their eyes, she had just defeated that gigantic robot all on her own and had taken out a lot of mock villains as well. Some of them, she even helped dispatch some of the robots that were giving them trouble. There was no doubt in their minds that Violet would become a student at U.A.

Some of the faculty watched with a smile as both Mina and Jiro walked up to Violet, the latter with a slight limp in her leg, and asked if they could sit with her while they waited on Recovery Girl. Violet didn’t mind and offered each of them a seat. As soon as they both sat down, Mina pretty much began fangirling about Violet, talking about how cool she was when she took out the zero pointer and the way she took out the other bots. Jiro did the same, but in a much more subdued tone, complimenting her on her skills and again thanking Violet for saving her.

Violet was quite surprised by all the attention, but she took it in stride and answered any questions they had.

The teachers were happy that Violet was quickly making friends, especially upon learning just a tidbit about her past. All teachers there, even those who would more than likely not teach Violet, vowed to themselves that they would learn more about her past and help her in any way they could. Because they saw something, especially Hound Dog, that Violet had not even noticed about herself. They’ve been pros for long enough to know the signs of someone who’s had a lot of trauma that is on the cusps of being let out. Nezu actually remembered a part of the papers he was sent, something her employer had said to her after she got out of the hospital.

“You don’t realize it yet, but your body is burning from the things you did.” Nezu had to firmly agree with that statement, he’s seen it too many times.

Regardless of everything, when Violet was ready to speak or when she broke down, they promised themselves that they’ll be there as a shoulder to lean on. Because, if they couldn’t help one girl get through her trauma, could they really look themselves in the mirror and call themselves heros?


Took longer than expected, but it is also longer than I expected. Confusing huh? Anyways, I hope you liked it!

As you have read, a lot has happened in this chapter, mainly having to do with Violet's Psyche. Fair warning, I'll be going into a lot of detail about in this story (I think), so prepare for that.

For those of you who have read my other stories, you'll notice that this story has been in third person and not first. Do you like it or not? I would really like to know. I'll probably do a first person POV coming up to see how that works out, so expect that.

Did you like this chapter or not? Again, I would really like to know, so don't hold back, tell me exactly what you liked and didn't like about so I could further improve. 

One more thing, did I make Violet too OP or to underpowered? Let me know your thoughts about it!

But, that's all I got for you for now, so until next time, and have an amazing day!

3