11: Glad To Have Met You
402 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
On the previous poll, majority wanted the next chapter, so here it is.

"And what are you doing here?!"

Kristoffer's already getting fed up asking the same question on the same day.

 

Getting a lot of visitors was probably a sign that a chance to retreat to his peaceful everyday life was already nulled...

As for this man, he couldn't even begin to imagine for what reason he came. The man he just met last night stood there as he laid the shotgun on his shoulder. He wore a cowboy hat, jeans, a gray polo shirt, and a pair of shades. It was Kristoffer's first time to see such attire.

With the lack of sugar and dough, the aroma of hot cocoa became more prominent as it wafted towards the only open exit.

Carl zoomed past the two (three) haughtily and straight into the kitchen, where he poured himself a cup of the thick chocolate. Carl returned with a wooden stool, sat on it, flanking the two who were either on top or bottom of each other.

Everybody just stared at each other for a moment.

Realizing that everyone's paused, Carl said, "Please, continue."

"Like hell we could continue!" Kristoffer bellowed.

"Yes, we could," the Quill look-alike pressed Kristoffer back down the sofa and wrapped her arms at the back of his neck. When she was about to close in on Kristoffer's lips, he only cupped her mouth with his hand.

"Sorry, but no." Kristoffer would like that but he just couldn't, not with some guy he barely knew watching. He gently pushed her to the side and asked Carl, "Do you need something?"

After sipping from his cup, Carl answered, "Well, I had to make sure Pula here wouldn't do anything that crosses the line but I guess I just had to see it for myself before I actually stop you." He flashed a thumb.

Carl could almost imagine an anime-like vein pop on Kristoffer's forehead after he said so.

"Could you please get out now? It's getting awkward," Kristoffer said. At first glance, one would think that he was referring to Carl, but when Kristoffer turned to the girl beside him, the succubus mouthed an "oh" and casually revealed herself.

It was just like a person passing through a wall, not that it was something that a Rouenian would see every day, but suddenly coming out of another person's body, it certainly felt like such to the onlookers. A strikingly beautiful woman stood before them but Carl could only express his disappointment that the show has been canceled. Even though, he was the reason it was canceled in the first place.

Kristoffer might have said "awkward," but he felt embarrassed the most. He wasn't certainly used to getting caught making up with a person inside another person. Not that he knew of anyone else who had done it other than him. 

To forget the embarrassment, he tried talking about what he heard from Carl earlier.

"So, your name is Pula then?"

"Yes, you may call me that from now on."

Carl chuckled. "I had a rough time thinking of a suitable name for her, you know."

Penelope "woke up" and was surprised to see Carl. "What happened?" she asked.

Kristoffer couldn't respond. Carl just sipped to conceal his grin.

"Your skill was so convenient I had a great time," Pula said. "Go try it yourself next time, won't you, dear."

"Okay!" Kristoffer said. "Now that's done and dealt with, do you have anything else to do here, Carl?"

"Actually, yes. I do need you for something else."

Carl brought out a familiar-looking lockpick. Kristoffer's lockpick.

"How did you get this?"

"Quill purchased it back for you--well, I was the one who had to fight with the pawnbroker. You should have seen how I gave him a broken nose."

Kristoffer and Pula gave him unconvinced looks as if he was the boy who cried wolf.

The pawnshop's owner Kristoffer pawned it on was a retired A-rank adventurer. That old man wasn't definitely one to go down with a broken nose.

"...I'm a good citizen so I just paid him with what Quill gave me."

Pula covered the side of her mouth to whisper at Kristoffer. "Told you she appreciates what you did."

Kristoffer received the nostalgic item from Carl. "...Thanks, I guess, for your effort. Please, tell Quill I said thank you and I won't let go of it anymore."

"Don't make promises you can't keep, pal," Carl smirked. "I won't mention that last part to her just in case you try to exchange it again for something more valuable."

Carl finished his drink and as he stood up, so did Kristoffer and Nel.

Just as Kristoffer believed that it's finally done after they escorted him outside, Carl broke out a piece of news that Kristoffer had completely forgotten.

"You better wash up, the taxman's already in town."

The taxman, the same person that a certain former underling of Quill stabbed out of-

"Shut up, narrator! We know who the taxman is," Carl said to the sky. Of course, he only looked like a madman who was talking to empty air.

Kristoffer averted his gaze since he couldn't take in what he just saw.

"Where's Pula?" Kristoffer said when he noticed they were one person less.

"You mean me?" Pula smiled as she peeked out of Carl's chest.

"Wah!"

The other two jumped back in unison.

Pula exited from Carl's body and patted her clothes as if she just came from a dusty place.

Kristoffer had his eyes bloodshot at the scene. "...What the f*ck are you doing?"

"Well, I mean, last night he had perfectly worn an anti-possession ring for the occasion but now he tried to visit without one. It's like he was inviting me so I did what I have to."

"It's not every day that you get a chance to experience it after all... Especially when it's with a non-enemy," Carl suddenly announced and put up a high-five which Pula promptly returned with a loud slap.

"Are you stupid?" Kristoffer couldn't help but ask out loud.

He must be stupid.

Kristoffer could count a couple of problems with what he just did.

Mainly, with how the succubus could practically read the memories of anyone she possessed.

"You're thinking that she might have seen what I know, right?" Carl said calmly. His expression was now more serene more than anything.

Like someone who had a ton of weight lifted off his shoulders after revealing his deep secrets.

Then Kristoffer had a sudden feeling that it's as if Carl's now relieved that his knowledge won't go down with him to the grave. There was no evidence, but he thought of that specific reason.

"...Come on, now..." Kristoffer could only scratch his head. Earlier, he also wasn't able to stop Pula from doing it to Nel but that's because of the heat. So, he couldn't complain to Carl's face either.

"It's not like I read everything," Pula interjected. "Unless they are utter weaklings, I could only read the stuff that the host permits me to."

"Ha? What about Quill? It doesn't seem like it's only a 'little'."

"That's because she tried to override me that so much spilled over. She literally threw everything at me."

The succubus was smiling but she wrapped her hands around her arms while her eyes looked into the far distance, probably remembering the point where she underwent that torment that souls who were thrown at dungeons also typically suffered.

While all of these were occurring outside of his bakery, Kristoffer was not fearful of witnesses.

And that's because the four of them were the only ones standing at the stretch of cobblestone road.

As for why the vicinity was completely deserted, it's because of the piece of news Carl reminded earlier.

Nel was still confused about one thing. "How did you possess Carl without us noticing?"

Almost thankful at the question, Pula regained her senses and without a word turned invisible in front of them. 

Carl was the only one unsurprised.

As Kristoffer's wondering where she had gone to when he touched nothing but air when he swiped ahead, someone had embraced him from behind.

It was a very warm sensation even if he froze at the spot.

He felt something crawl inside his pants, something he could only think up of as a tail.

When Kristoffer thought he could no longer keep up a straight face to lengthen the session, Nel stretched a hand towards his back and pinched.

"Ow!"

"I caught a bug."

Pula detached herself and when she turned visible again, Kristoffer couldn't see any hint of the prior tail.

"Gah! You'll rip off my ear!"

Unexpectedly, Nel let go of Pula's ear with nothing but a small click of her tongue.

Carl, on the other hand, was visibly entertained with their skit.  

Getting embarrassed anew, Kristoffer quickly muttered, "I'll go wait for the taxman at the gate," before walking on his own.

Of course, the other three followed immediately after for one reason or another.

As all four of them walked together side by side, chatting about simple, and sometimes senseless matters, Kristoffer told himself that meeting these three in a single night probably meant that they would become an important part of his everyday life.

He did not have proof, it was just a feeling he had. It could turn out to be wrong in the end but if his intuition were to be trusted, he should perhaps mentally prepare himself to be dragged into their crazy antics from now on.

But more than that, even though yesterday was extraordinary (to say the least), he's just glad that all of them had smiles plastered on their faces and having a great day.

What do you want the taxman's race to be?
  • Human Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Elf Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Halfling Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Heh Votes: 9 37.5%
  • ...Goblin Votes: 12 50.0%
Total voters: 24
5