17: The Captain’s Reward (I)
85 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kristoffer was so sleepy. He did not want to open his eyes yet. Not to mention, wherever Kristoffer was right now, if he could describe it in one word, it was comfy.

Kristoffer felt the cool breeze graze his cheeks and ruffle his clothes.

His pillow had the proper balance of firm and soft.

He could feel the grass under him, yet it was not irritating nor itchy.

Kristoffer could also hear the rustling of leaves.

...Someone was also gently caressing his hair.

Kristoffer tried to move his body but he felt so comfortable right now. He also did not know where he was since he still had his eyes closed.

Kristoffer wished he could sleep some more.

When Kristoffer eventually turned his body to the side, his face touched something firm yet warm. It also smelled nice. Even though it was firm, the outer layer's texture was quite smooth. Something similar to... clothes?

Only when Kristoffer heard a chuckle did he force one eye open. Above him was Quill's face and he had his head currently lying on her lap.

What's happening right now?

What's even weirder was that Quill looked larger than usual. She's a lot taller than her halfling form and he could see hills instead of plains on her chest.

Really, what's happening right now?

Kristoffer could only show the confusion on his face.

"Pft. Aren't you comfortable?"

"...I am."

Quill smiled and continued stroking Kristoffer's hair.

"Where are we?"

"Outside the wall, on a hill."

Kristoffer was sure that he would know where he was if he just stood up. However, he didn't want to get up. The tree above perfectly protected them from the hot sun, the never-ending breeze creating a calming environment as the branches and leaves danced to its tune. Coupled with Quill's touch, it was like something out of a pleasant dream.

"For how long was I asleep?"

"Just for half an hour. After checking you for injuries, I teleported us here."

"...I do remember that I fell after I heard the end of the battle."

Quill hummed as she closed her eyes. "You did great out there."

From what Kristoffer had learned over the years, Quill's (and Lime's) compliments were often insincere if her eyes weren't fully open. Yet, the delivery of the compliment's purpose was true-Quill wanted the other person to feel proud of themselves and she wanted them to know that they did achieve something good.

It's just that she's not too impressed in reality. The compliments usually stemmed from the combination of the point of view of other people and hers. Even if she's not impressed, but she deemed that most other people would be fascinated or amazed by a deed, then she would throw in words praising the person. What she was showing outside and what she was thinking were contradictory, yet it was her way of showing consideration.

Also, Quill only complimented people she truly liked, which meant it was a good sign.

"Hey, thanks."

Kristoffer always liked this side of her. Even now, Quill was probably contemplating the mistakes that Kristoffer did during the mock battle, but she would not bring that up until Kristoffer did first.

Kristoffer chuckled in his mind. What a people pleaser.

While there were things that Kristoffer would have changed if handed the opportunity, it's still true that he was proud of the win. Kristoffer won despite the overwhelming injuries he took, and he couldn't be happier.

It took another minute of stroking before Kristoffer broke the calm silence. "I was not ready enough. I underestimated him."

"You did. But so did Mute." Quill's grin assured Kristoffer that Quill enjoyed watching the match-sadistically, at least. "That said, the only way you'll be more ready was if you brought out one of your better gears and I don't think you would be willing to use it on a mock battle."

Kristoffer let out a chuckle. "True. However, I was wondering what would have happened if I didn't assume he was a regular fighter."

"Well, if you knew what was coming, Mute would not last longer than a minute," Quill dropped her grinning face mere inches away from Kristoffer's. "That would have been truly boring."

Kristoffer smiled wryly. It hurt a bit that Quill didn't give him a proper warning but Kristoffer was aware it was his fault for not gathering intel before the battle.

If it was a real war, Kristoffer wouldn't just get himself killed. His men might also suffer the consequences.

On the bright side, Quill and Fiona's grins before the start were in itself a subtle last-second warning, which helped a bit. Assuming that the grins were done half-deliberately, Kristoffer was very thankful.

"I never thought that I'd experience that much pain again." Kristoffer touched the spot on his left side where the spear impaled him. The damage was so bad that Kristoffer thought he wouldn't make it out alive. The impressive little capsule healed just enough to reduce the pain. At least, that thing did its job marvelously.

Since he couldn't feel any pain now, Kristoffer guessed the healers properly closed the wound this time. That was a relief.

Kristoffer pulled his shirt up, letting the grass itch on his skin so he could look at the scar.

Nothing. Kristoffer saw unblemished skin.

"I made sure you won't be getting a scar from that," Quill reassured Kristoffer. 

Oh. She did mention something about her checking my injuries. That explains why it was healed so well.

"Did you think you were gonna die?"

"I did..." That was until Kristoffer saw Quill.

Quill stopped stroking Kristoffer's short brown hair and raised her head. "That's what I felt when that succubus possessed me. I was not ready. I thought my current strength was more than enough until the unexpected happened. To make matters worse, I didn't truly realize 'what' we were fighting against." By now, Quill was digging the soil with her nails in silent anger. "A succubus... I can see for what she is but why did I assume she'll be obedient out of fear?"

They were probably rhetorical. Even if they weren't, Kristoffer couldn't provide answers, of course. However, he was surprised when Quill suddenly thanked him.

Kristoffer asked why the thanks.

"For trying to save me. It bought me a precious second to take back control."

Kristoffer nodded. He didn't know what to say to that. Although, Kristoffer boldly snuggled his face on Quill's tummy to see how she would react.

Quill didn't act like she hated it as Kristoffer felt purring.

When Kristoffer raised his head, Quill now had cat ears on her head. She did not forget the tail as well.

This shapeshifting monster can do almost anything with her body. Kristoffer chuckled as he let the vibrations tickle his face.

When another wave of comforting silence ensued, Quill laid down on her back, arms below the head.

"For protecting the name and honor of the Silver Mavericks, what reward would you like to receive?"

Upon hearing that, Kristoffer sat up. When he looked at Quill, she had a serious expression on her face but a playful glint in her eyes.

Quill liked honesty. Saying things like, "It's fine" or "I do not deserve it" would only be bad in the long run. If you accomplished something equal or less in the future, never expect to be given a reward by then. Unless, you realize your mistake of pushing away her goodwill and apologizing for it, of course.

However, Kristoffer couldn't say a word.

It was no secret that they had a fling in the past. However, he was too young at the time.

When Kristoffer finally reached adulthood, it had been too late. Lime married a halfling called Emil and took a different persona as Quill.

Fiona often joked with Kristoffer how Emil's name was just Lime spelled differently.

Yes, Kristoffer did think that coincidence was funny.

Yes, Kristoffer was also sad it was not him who was with Lime, of course.

However, a tiny thought kept giving him relief: 'I do not deserve her.'

Did Emil?

Kristoffer couldn't say.

Did Kristoffer?

Definitely not.

Why did he think so? Kristoffer grew up his first few years with his parents fighting every time. Every day of the week.

Like, why did these people even marry each other?

They were nobles, that's why. It was an arranged marriage. That was fine and all until they realized that they had different values and personalities. They would always argue when the other had a different approach to something. On the bright side, they were good people so they haven't tried to kill each other.

That was a relief for the entire Marchand household.

But... when you think about it, meeting someone compatible with you was like winning a lottery. One shouldn't try betting on it in the first place. Unless you already understood you had the winning ticket.

As a kid, he often heard the problems of his subordinates and fief with their spouse. As a kid, the very thought of committing to someone scared him. As a kid, that fear etched itself deep in his mind.

Today, Kristoffer's already 27, yet the fear was still present.

Emil was dead for more than a year now, so Lime was again available.

But, should Kristoffer say, "I want my reward to be you"? He couldn't. 

Kristoffer's not as amazing as Lime. Kristoffer acknowledged he had several weaknesses. What if Lime became disappointed with him.

Kristoffer was competent if it was a competition. But he was amazingly lazy if it was a regular day.

Kristoffer might have been one of the smartest amongst the Mavericks of his batch. But he was astonishingly stupid on several occasions of his life.

Kristoffer might be a strong fighter. But not the strongest amongst Lime's followers.

The list went on.

Knowing those shortcomings meant that he did not deserve her. Quill would just be disappointed, then they'll argue, then it's over.

On that note, the cause for the reward was trivial. Why was Kristoffer even thinking about all this? In the first place, he could just request an item. Kristoffer laughed at himself.

Maybe Kristoffer just liked her that much. But Kristoffer already decided it was not meant to be.

It wasn't like it was a real fight for survival, anyway. So asking for a simple gift should satisfy both of them. Kristoffer's [Ring of Time Stop] crumbled into dust after use and none of it remained on his left pinky finger. 

Yeah... Kristoffer could just ask for another of those.

Kristoffer breathed in and opened his mouth but, all of a sudden, Quill rose and hugged him. This mind reader.

"Don't flirt with me."

"But I want to," Quill said in a teasing tone.

She's enjoying this. Tsk, fine.

Kristoffer hugged her back.

 

The other half to be posted tomorrow.

3