Chapter 71: Sweet Sweet Victory
239 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The blue and white flag of the federation fluttered atop the rubble of the town hall. The entire town lay flattened, not a single building left standing. Soldiers bustled about, distributing humanitarian supplies to the elves who found themselves in dire circumstances. Bell couldn't help but lay blame on Falael for this, though the man was now deceased. With him gone, so too was Saven, reduced to nothing more than ruins.

Perched on the edge of the helicopter door, Bell surveyed the devastation below from a bird's-eye view. His decision to withdraw had proven correct, even if it meant sacrificing the healthcare facility. With Federal troops looming, there had been no time for hesitation.

"Quite the sight, huh?" remarked Lisa from her seat behind him.

Bell nodded, his focus still fixed on the desolation below. "Indeed," he replied, his voice barely audible above the helicopter's roar. "An inevitable conclusion, albeit a costly one. Yet, it could have been far worse."

The elves would never have any doubts about the Federation's intentions for the future. Hussar was under Bell’s control now and Hanna's unwavering loyalty had been evident since their first meeting before all of this fiasco would prove beneficial, especially considering Hanna’s ideals. It was her idea to abolish the Emperor and to strive for equality in all things. Bell shared these ideals, driven by frustration with the aristocracy and nobility who hindered the Empire military's effectiveness. He refused to allow the 18-year-old son of a duke to manage his army simply because of his noble birth.

The pilot skillfully landed the helicopter in an open space where the town hall once stood. The scene below was grim, with bodies strewn about—soldiers and civilians alike. Some had been executed, their bodies left to decay in the streets. This was where it had all begun, and now, it was where it all came to an end.

Bell and Lisa stepped off the helicopter and approached a goblin who was overseeing a group of demons and goblins. The goblin was delivering a speech about forgiveness and compassion, commending the groups for carrying out their tasks as instructed.

Bell and Lisa stepped off the helicopter and made their way toward a goblin overseeing a group of demons and goblins. The goblin was in the midst of delivering a speech about forgiveness and compassion, praising the groups for their adherence to orders.

“Lancaster!” Bell called out.

The goblin, named Slaart, turned and nodded in acknowledgment, approaching them. He wore the Augmented Reality Night Vision Goggles-36, a signature piece of gear for tankers that allowed them to integrate with the network system and see outside their tanks. Flipping up the goggles, he extended his hand to shake Bell's. "Please, call me Slaart, sir."

"Nice to meet you, Slaart. So, what's the situation?" Bell inquired.

Slaart displayed his tablet, revealing a PowerPoint presentation he had prepared earlier for briefing the command staff, including Major General Shruss. "We've managed to capture 428 POWs, destroy 15 encampments, and liberate around 765 elves, with the count still ongoing."

Bell grimly assessed the information. "So, the remainder..."

"I'm afraid so, sir," Slaart confirmed.

The town had been occupied by 12,000 soldiers, outnumbering the mere 2,000 elves who had no chance against such overwhelming force. Without Bell's intervention, the elves would likely have faced extinction, either through slaughter or enslavement—both grim prospects.

With Saven reduced to ruins and most activities shifted to New Glacier, its future seemed limited. Perhaps it would serve primarily as a trading port, utilizing its existing infrastructure. The roads were already in place; the only missing link was a rapid transportation system, like a high-speed train, but that was a concern for another time.

For now, Bell's focus lay on the POWs and the elves. The POWs would need a separate facility from New Glacier, while the elves might require temporary housing in a refugee camp, given the uncertainty of available space in New Glacier. He planned to task Hussar with constructing additional public housing and saw potential in integrating the surviving elves into reserve forces; Eldrin and his elves had already proven their capabilities as soldiers for the Federation. Bell envisioned visiting their modernized village one day.

"Lisa, could you coordinate with Hannah and civil affairs to arrange the relocation of these refugees? I'll request support from the 1st Infantry to provide MPs for the POWs. We may need to establish a prison facility somewhere between Saven and New Glacier," Bell instructed.

"I can handle that, no problem," Lisa assured Bell with a nod.

"Great. Now, onto the next matter—those fleets are still out there," Bell gestured toward the sea.

Lisa shrugged. "One step at a time. First, the refugees, then the POWs, and after that, we deal with the ships."

"That's manageable," Bell agreed.

"Should we proceed with Wolfpack's order to abandon the town once everyone's evacuated? I just want to confirm with you, sir," Slaart inquired.

"If that's what's deemed best, then it's for the best," Bell replied thoughtfully. "We can utilize the port for trading once we establish connections outside the coalition. I've heard rumors of another continent on the far side of this one, but it's uncharted territory. Having a naval base could prove beneficial."

"Hannah would likely have another fit if we allocated another billion for defense," Lisa remarked sarcastically.

"Let's hold off for now. Thank you for the report, Colonel," Bell acknowledged.

"No problem, sir," Slaart responded before returning to his men to continue the debriefing.

As Bell and Lisa walked through the ruins of Saven, the stark contrast between their first visit and their last was undeniable. What was once a peaceful seaside town bustling with trade now lay in ruins, covered in ash and concrete dust.

Was it Bell's fault for coming here? He doubted it. It seemed inevitable that the Southern Coalition would target this port eventually. Regardless, dwelling on the past wouldn't change anything. It was time to focus on the future and what could be built from the ruins.

As they strolled down the street, Lisa reminded Bell, "You've leveled up, haven't you? Why not distribute the points?"

"Ah, right..." Bell replied, realizing he had almost forgotten amidst the chaos.

[Diagnostic Menu] [Level: 36] [9 Demonic Points Available]

Name: Bellial Radcliffe

EXP: 215,240/341,000

General Health Status: Healthy

Skills and Perks:

  • Diplomatic Seer Lv. 4: Provides an edge in bargaining, crucial for resource acquisition or information gathering. This includes knowing what the current state or mood of your diplomatic opponent, or allies. It also allows the user to know their relationship with other diplomatic party. Moderate amount of Aether Energy needed to use this spell.
  • Sweet Talker Lv. 3: Provide a soothing-like ability to your voice during negotiation session, alongside with a non-aggressive passive spell that would make your offer more likely to be accepted by the opposite party. This ability only works on good will and any dubious request will cancel the spell immediately.
  • Aura of Authority Lv. 1: This ability imbues the user with an innate sense of authority and charisma, making others more inclined to respect and listen to you. It's particularly effective in leadership situations, where your presence can inspire confidence and loyalty. It only works on allies that have trusted the user. It will also boost the chance of intimidation slightly towards enemies.
  • Mana Efficiency Lv. 2: Reduces the amount of aether energy required to cast spells, allowing for more frequent use of magic.
  • Marksmanship Lv. 4: +10% Range and Accuracy of All Weapons on Your Arsenal, Including Summoned Soldiers
  • Second-Hand User Lv. 5: 55% Reduction in Equipment Price
  • Corpse Bank Lv. 3: This ability ensures that each corpse would be rewarded greatly, undeads or not. The system will give you an extra 40% for each creature, this includes both mechanical and biological creature that you encounter.
  • Experimental Logistics Lv. 2: Increase the efficiency of fuel items, engines, and so on, allowing +25% increase on average on range and duration.

With his financial concerns alleviated and hunting husks no longer a primary income source, Bell opted to delay his upgrade plans for now. Instead, he prioritized saving up to enhance the Second-Hand User skill. Building a navy was a long-term goal, but the exorbitant cost of ships made it impractical for the time being. In comparison, planes were a more affordable and versatile option that better suited his needs.

With sufficient points available, Bell chose to upgrade the Second-Hand User skill, recognizing that equipment costs remained a significant hurdle in military procurement. As money was no longer an issue, he decided to hold off on upgrading the Corpse Bank skill for the time being.

[Diagnostic Menu] [Level: 36]

Name: Bellial Radcliffe

EXP: 215,240/341,000

General Health Status: Healthy

Skills and Perks:

  • Diplomatic Seer Lv. 4: Provides an edge in bargaining, crucial for resource acquisition or information gathering. This includes knowing what the current state or mood of your diplomatic opponent, or allies. It also allows the user to know their relationship with other diplomatic party. Moderate amount of Aether Energy needed to use this spell.
  • Sweet Talker Lv. 3: Provide a soothing-like ability to your voice during negotiation session, alongside with a non-aggressive passive spell that would make your offer more likely to be accepted by the opposite party. This ability only works on good will and any dubious request will cancel the spell immediately.
  • Aura of Authority Lv. 1: This ability imbues the user with an innate sense of authority and charisma, making others more inclined to respect and listen to you. It's particularly effective in leadership situations, where your presence can inspire confidence and loyalty. It only works on allies that have trusted the user. It will also boost the chance of intimidation slightly towards enemies.
  • Mana Efficiency Lv. 2: Reduces the amount of aether energy required to cast spells, allowing for more frequent use of magic.
  • Marksmanship Lv. 4: +10% Range and Accuracy of All Weapons on Your Arsenal, Including Summoned Soldiers
  • Second-Hand User Lv. 6: 60% Reduction in Equipment Price
  • Corpse Bank Lv. 3: This ability ensures that each corpse would be rewarded greatly, undeads or not. The system will give you an extra 40% for each creature, this includes both mechanical and biological creature that you encounter.
  • Experimental Logistics Lv. 2: Increase the efficiency of fuel items, engines, and so on, allowing +25% increase on average on range and duration.

"Alright, done. Still, I expect leveling shouldn’t be too much of a bother, no? It’s too slow for my taste," Bell remarked.

"In that case, Bell, I want you to do something," Lisa requested.

"Such as?" Bell inquired.

"Can you use your program on yourself?" Lisa asked.

Bell pondered the concept for a moment, a flicker of concern crossing his mind. If something were to happen to him, who would manage the Federation? However, with Hanna now among his staff, sharing his ideology, the concern faded, and he agreed to the idea.

"Sure, but for what?" Bell questioned.

"I need you to train as a pilot," Lisa revealed.

"Why?" Bell pressed for an explanation.

"I'm aware of the sudden limitation on EXP gained from allied kills, so I highly recommend using a platform that allows you to take out a large number of creatures at once. And for that, I believe a multi-role fighter jet is your best option," Lisa explained.

"Fair enough," Bell conceded with a shrug. Truth be told, he relished the idea of being back in the cockpit. His experience with Larry had been indescribable, a revelation compared to his time riding dragons in the Empire's military.

[Specialized Personnel Sub-Menu][Input Code: ___ ][EP: 2,311,650,000] [Experience: ◄Veteran►]

  • Ace Fighter Pilot [Assign: Bell Radcliffe]

[Train All Soldiers] [10,000,000 EP + 17,000,000 EP For Equipment]

As Bell pressed the button, he vanished into thin air, leaving Lisa alone in the middle of the street. A smile played on her lips, knowing that this move would greatly accelerate Bell's leveling progress. She understood the benefits firsthand, as she also reaped the rewards of Bell's leveling, recognizing the immense power wielded by a system user. A timer appeared on her peripheral vision, indicating the duration of Bell's training session.

[96:00:00]

It took quite a while, but then again, he was the owner of the system. She felt fortunate that it was Bell who possessed such power, someone she saw as having strong principles of egalitarianism and equality. She was relieved it hadn't fallen into the hands of some mad autocrat or a batshit insane wannabe villain or villainess. Lisa understood the implications well—system users were always powerful, if not outright omnipotent.

After all, she used to be a system user too. Lisa could only smile when she looked at her own interface.

[Portable Armory 3.0: ERROR]

[Enter ERROR: ERROR]

She missed it, really.

10