30. Silent Moon Sect
58 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As we watched the Silent Moon Sect disciples from afar, the eldest among them broke away from the group. His stride was assertive, his eyes maintaining their cold, focused gaze on Tianyi and myself. The murmurs of the villagers turned into hushed whispers as he approached us, and for a moment, the entire village seemed to hold its breath.

 

The man, decked in his cobalt-colored robe, a dagger-like glint in his eyes, and a smirk gracing his thin lips, walked up to us. He oozed a sense of haughtiness and condescension that made my stomach churn.

 

"You must be new here," he said, his voice as cold as his eyes. "I am Xu Ziqing, but the Jianghu knows me as the 'Azure Moon Marauder.'"

 

My eyebrows shot up at his nickname, yet my mind drew a blank. The Azure Moon Marauder? Was I supposed to know him?

 

His smirk widened at my silence. "Never heard of me, have you?"

 

"Honestly, no," I replied, my tone as calm as I could muster under his domineering gaze.

 

His eyes flashed momentarily with irritation, but he quickly masked it with a feigned chuckle. "Well, it doesn't matter. This place, Qingmu Village, is currently under the protection of the Silent Moon Sect," he said, emphasizing the word 'protection' as if it held a greater meaning than I understood.

 

He looked at Feng Wu with a dismissive glance before his gaze returned to me. "We're handling the Wind Serpent situation. We don't need outsiders poking their noses in."

 

Feng Wu, who had been quiet, finally spoke up. "We have no intention of interfering," he said, his voice calm and collected, contrasting the hostile atmosphere. "We only stopped here to restock our supplies before continuing our journey. We'll be staying in Qingmu for the night, but that's it."

 

Xu Ziqing turned his gaze to Feng Wu. His icy eyes narrowed slightly, his smirk turning into a frown. "Is that so?" he asked, his voice dripping with skepticism.

 

"It is," Feng Wu replied, meeting Xu's gaze without flinching. "We respect the work that the Silent Moon Sect is doing here. We won't get in your way."

 

The horses under my control whinnied, sensing the tension in the air. Tianyi remained frozen still like she was doing her best not to catch the attention of anybody. Xu Ziqing turned his head and huffed in apparent annoyance.

 

"Very well," he said dismissively over his shoulder. "But remember, don't meddle in our affairs."

 

His eyes landed on me once more, lingering on the beautiful butterfly perched on my shoulder. I turned slightly to shield her from his gaze.

 

Leaving us by ourselves at the foot of the village, I turned to Feng Wu and whispered quietly.

 

"Those jerks! What the hell is up with them?"

 

The man seemed unaffable, although he had lost his smile and continued to keep his eyes on the Silent Moon Sect. "To think that QIngmu would become like this within a week...I advise you tread carefully, Kai. That man was a second-class disciple of their sect."

 

I gulped. Even without that information, I could see that Xu Ziqing fellow was a cut above the rest. Knowing he was the same rank as Feng Wu made me even more nervous. If such a person coveted Tianyi...

 

"Will it really be alright for us to stay here and replenish our supplies? I don't think it'll be safe..."

 

"Regardless of their demeanor, the Silent Moon still has a reputation to uphold. Attacking us would be tantamount to provoking the Verdant Lotus sect. But it's clear that they're taking the situation into their own hands."

 

It didn't seem like it was for the sake of the villagers, however. The glum look on the Qingmu residents' faces bothered me. It was a stark contrast to the views I saw in Gentle Wind Village. They gave the disciples a wide berth, keeping their heads down and staying quiet as they went about securing the area. A dozen of cultivators were more than enough to suppress a small village.

 

"But why though? I've heard tales about how strong Wind Serpents are. They're one of the few Spirit Beasts that are native to our province! Why would they turn away our support so callously?"

 

Feng Wu kept his eyes sharp, walking through the village while we looked for an inn. "It's all about face, Kai."

 

"Face?" I echoed, confused.

 

He nodded, continuing to survey the area. "Yes. In the Jianghu, face is everything. One's reputation, honor, respect... these all boil down to one's face. By handling the Wind Serpent situation on their own, the Silent Moon Sect can assert their dominance and strength. It tells others that they are a force to be reckoned with."

 

I scratched my chin, trying to process his explanation. "But... isn't it a bit risky? I mean, what if they fail?"

 

"Risk comes with every decision, Kai. However, they probably have calculated the benefits outweigh the risks in this case." He pointed to the villagers working under the watchful eyes of the Silent Moon disciples. "If they successfully drive off the Wind Serpent, they'll gain the gratitude and respect of the villagers. This could translate into goodwill, tribute, and a stronger foothold in this region. It's a strategic move, aiming to secure resources and influence."

 

I looked at the villagers again, their faces etched with worry and fear. It all seemed so cold, so calculated.

 

Seeing my troubled expression, Feng Wu added, "Remember, we're in a world where power dictates everything, Kai. The Silent Moon Sect is just playing the game like everyone else."

 

The reality of it was a bit hard to swallow. As a child, I'd always imagined the Jianghu to be a place of honor and respect, where those with strength would protect the weak. The tales of chivalrous cultivators like Zhen Lu shined brightly and inspired all. But, it seemed like it wasn't as simple as that. The mooks and grunts he dealt with weren't just caricatures or exaggerations, and noble cultivators like Feng Wu were more of an anomaly rather than the norm.

 

"Then what should we do, Feng Wu?" I asked, looking at him.

 

He took a deep breath, his eyes reflecting the determination within him. "We'll abide by their rules, for now. We'll stay out of their way and replenish our supplies as planned. However, if they can't handle the Wind Serpent or if they put the villagers in danger, we won't stand idly by. The Verdant Lotus Sect may value neutrality, but we also value justice and protection of the innocent."

 

I felt a surge of admiration for Feng Wu. His words were a reminder of why I admired the Verdant Lotus Sect in the first place. We might have been outsiders in this village, but we wouldn't turn a blind eye to injustice.

 

"Yes, we'll do just that," I said, more to myself than to him. "For now, let's find an inn. I'm starving."

 

HEAVENLY INTERFACE: KAI LIU

PERK(S):

Interface Manipulator - Allows manipulation of the Heavenly Interface and access to special features.

Race: Human

Vitality: Sufficient

PRIMARY

Affinity - Wood

Cultivation Rank: Mortal Realm - Rank 3

QI: Qi Initiation Stage - Rank 1

MIND: Mortal Realm - Rank 2

BODY: Mortal Realm - Rank 2

SKILLS

Spiritual Herbalism - 1 (...)

Nature's Attunement - 1 (...)

Reading - 4 (...)

Cultivation Techniques:

Rooted Banyan Stance - 1 (...)

Crimson Lotus Purification - 1 (...)

 

My stats have remained stagnant, leaving me in the mortal realm for my mind and body. But my qi was at the initiation stage. Did that mean my reserves were far ahead of my physical attributes? It was hard to imagine what I'd look or feel like with my mind and body at the first rank of the Qi Initiation stage.

 

If I had to deal with cultivators, having a large amount of qi wasn't enough. Being able to utilize it efficiently required a harmonious balance between all three areas.

 

"Feng Wu, on your interface...It also mentions what rank your mind, body, and qi are in, correct?"

 

He nodded as we tied the horses down to a post and entered the local inn. We were greeted by an employee who clamored nervously towards us, rubbing his hands.

 

"Hello, esteemed cultivators! Right this way!"

It was clear from how they treated Feng Wu that Qingmu were skittish around cultivators. Their treatment teetered between respect and fear. The second-class disciple from before appeared in my head. If they all looked like him, I'd be a bit nervous too.

 

Feng Wu turned to me and answered my question. "Yes, the interface does that. It's been a great way of tracking my cultivation and what I should focus on."

 

"Do you focus on a harmony between all three? Or does it depend on the styles taught by individual sects?"

 

He paused, thinking about it deeply while the waiter handed us menus. "Although the methodology of sects will affect it, the individual will also be an important factor that decides the style of their cultivation. I myself am predisposed towards the mind. My body refinement is lacking in comparison, but it is a personal preference of mine."

 

"What about having an equal distribution between all three? Wouldn't that be more..." I floundered around, trying to find the proper word. "...powerful?"

 

The waiter came back around and took our orders, before returning back to our conversation.

 

"I don't think so," He explained. "Think of it this way, Kai. Yes, being well-rounded can certainly be beneficial, especially when facing varied challenges. But to force equality between all three aspects would mean spreading your focus and resources thinly,"

 

Our food arrived within minutes. Plates of food aroused my appetite. But Feng Wu started, using his chopsticks to neatly divide a steamed bun into three parts.

 

"Imagine these three pieces are your mind, body, and qi," he motioned towards the bun. "By trying to cultivate all of them equally, you'll have to divide your time, effort, and resources into thirds."

 

His eyes met mine, his expression calm but serious. "Now, consider this - what if you naturally excel in one aspect? What if, say, your mind cultivation could advance faster than your body or qi cultivation? By forcing equality, you might inadvertently slow down your mind cultivation, stifling your potential growth."

 

"But wouldn't having all aspects at the same level increase my overall power?" I asked, not entirely convinced.

 

"Not necessarily. In the world of cultivation, there are many paths to power. It's not always about balance. There are individuals who focus almost entirely on one aspect, either by choice or because their inherent talent lies there."

 

As I began to eat, my mind drifted back to Feng Wu's words. His perspective had thrown a wrench into my previous understanding of cultivation. I was left to ponder my potential path, what it meant for my future, and how it would shape me as a cultivator.

 

My gaze flickered over to Tianyi, the beautiful butterfly fluttering around aimlessly as she explored our surroundings. A blue box appeared beside her, before she returned to my side taking a small drink of my herbal tea. Despite it being steaming hot, she didn't seem repulsed and continued her act.

Name: Tianyi
Race: Mystical Butterfly
Affinity: Wood
Cultivation Rank: Qi Initiation Stage - Rank 2

Special Abilities:

Qi Haven: Transforms frequented areas into concentrated qi zones, boosting recovery and cultivation efficiency for those within its boundaries.
Moonlight Empowerment: Gains increased power and vitality under the moonlight.
Qi Siphon: Can absorb small amounts of qi from its surroundings to sustain itself.
Qi Transfer: Can imbue living beings with energy by transferring its qi, providing a small boost to those who receive it.
Qi Infusion: Infuse your body with qi, strengthening and making it faster.

Bond Level: 3 (Close Companion) - Tianyi has formed a deep bond with you, displaying loyalty and commitment to your shared journey. Her abilities may strengthen in response to your connection, and she will be more attuned to your emotions and needs. Additional abilities or enhancements may become available as your bond continues to grow.

 

I was reminded of the way my Qi felt when I'd used it to infuse her. How it had worked alongside the energy of the Moonlit Grace Lily and saved her from the brink of death.

 

Could my talent lie in Qi cultivation then? I found the thought appealing, as I imagined myself controlling energy with such precision that I could heal or harm at will. The implications were enormous and it gave me a sense of power that I hadn't truly understood before.

 

However, that thought was quickly followed by another, the image of Xu Ziqing surfacing in my mind. He was strong, no doubt about it. The aura that he exuded, his confidence, his dismissive attitude... it was clear that he was no ordinary cultivator. I had to admit, the prospect of coming face-to-face with him in a battle made me shudder.

 

But if I want to stand against threats like him, or threats like a damned Wind Serpent! What do I need? A refined body? An enlightened mind? Or a robust Qi?

 

I went through my various abilities. Memory palace, qi manipulation, Rooted Banyan Stance, and Crimson Lotus Purification. What category did they fall under? Although they all used qi to an extent, did that mean focusing my efforts towards building powerful qi reserves was the right move?

 

I found myself circling back to the idea of an all-rounded cultivation. It was the safer choice, for sure. It would ensure that I didn't lack in any aspect, giving me a balanced set of abilities to rely on. But Feng Wu's words echoed in my mind - would it also limit me, hold me back from reaching my full potential?

 

'Perhaps for now, it's best to stick with being an all-rounder,' I concluded, taking a sip of my tea. 'I am, after all, still figuring out my path. I don't even know where my strengths truly lie. And an all-rounded base wouldn't hurt, would it? It could provide a solid foundation upon which I can build, once I figure out my specialty.'

 

I found solace in that thought, the anxiety washing away as I came to a decision. Yes, the path of cultivation was long and daunting, but it was also filled with endless possibilities. For now, I would focus on honing all three aspects - my body, mind, and Qi - simultaneously.

 

Once I discovered my true strengths, then perhaps I would choose a specialized path. But for now, I was content with the idea of being well-rounded, of growing evenly and harmoniously.

 

it may be slow, but it will be mighty!

 

My overexcitement led to the steamed bun in my mouth falling down the wrong hole. My chopsticks clattered onto the plate as I began suffocating.

 

Perhaps I should specialize in digesting food before I swallow first. That should be the primary goal. It would be embarrassing to become a cultivator and get felled by a half-eaten steamed bun.

5