31. Stir the Grass
83 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Yes, and can we also have a room that has a view of the stables? That'd be appreciated, thank you."

 

The only inn available in the village also offered a stable for travelers to let their horses rest. Although they said it was secure, I didn't know if the claim could hold up against foul play from cultivators. The only guard there was a young boy who went around feeding the animals within. I wouldn't put it past them. Those Silent Moon folk were far from the chivalrous, taoist cultivators I knew from stories! They were like thugs.

 

"You do have to remember, Kai. Not all sects are taoist. The Silent Moon is an unorthodox sect that follow the rule of might is right." Feng Wu said, listening to me rant about the disrespect shown by the disciples patrolling the village. "They don't respect those they deem as below them."

 

"That's not right! If we were the Whispering Wind sect, they wouldn't be walking all over us! Judging someone based on background is..."

 

"What is out of your hands, should not be in your worries. What can we do about their behaviour? The important thing here is to avoid stooping to their level."

At what point do cultivators learn to speak only in metaphors and proverbs? Clearly Elder Ming and Feng Wu had reached that level. I sighed and leaned back into the bed, allowing the soft sheets to take some of the day's weariness.

 

"Feng Wu, there's something I don't get," I started, my tone echoing with inquisitiveness. "The Verdant Lotus sect, it's a Taoist sect, isn't it? Then why does it emphasize on the pursuit of righteousness when others do not?"

 

Feng Wu eased back into his chair, his verdant eyes mirroring the soft flicker of the oil lamp that stood between us. "Well, the Taoist sects aren't all identical. For instance, orthodox sects, such as the Verdant Lotus, endorse values like balance, righteousness, and humility. They follow a moral code, striving for enlightenment and unity with the universe."

 

"And the non-orthodox ones?" I asked, seeking more clarification.

 

Feng Wu's expression grew thoughtful. "Non-orthodox sects adhere to the principle of survival of the fittest. They prioritize personal power and ambition above all else. For example, the Silent Moon sect doesn't seek unity, but rather dominance, placing strength above all other virtues."

 

"Feng Wu, isn't the Taoist way about balance? If all orthodox sects act as the Verdant Lotus does, and all unorthodox sects like the Silent Moon... where is the balance?"

 

Feng Wu's eyes shimmered in the dim light, reflecting the complexity of his thoughts. "Balance doesn't mean everyone acts the same, Kai. It means allowing for differences. The universe is a spectrum, not a uniform entity."

 

"But," I countered, leaning forward, "it seems to me that the unorthodox sects, like Silent Moon, are causing harm and disorder. They choose power and dominance over unity and harmony. Isn't that wrong?"

 

Feng Wu smiled, a hint of wistfulness in his expression. "Ah, the naivety of untouched lands. Wrong and right, Kai, are subjective terms. The Silent Moon sect may seem chaotic and harmful from your perspective, but they see it as asserting their survival and strength. The universe thrives on duality, on the clash and blend of different forces."

 

"I can't agree with that," I asserted, the conviction in my voice surprising even me. "Causing harm, fostering fear... that can't be justified in the name of survival. There's a difference between survival and oppression."

 

"You're not entirely wrong," Feng Wu conceded. "But remember, our view is influenced by our experiences. You come from a sheltered village, nurtured by peace. Your perspective is invaluable, but it's not the complete reality of the Jianghu. It's a world filled with ambition, desperation, and strife, as well as peace and tranquility. The lines between right and wrong blur amidst these complexities. It's about understanding, not merely judging."

 

I sat back, thoughts swirling in my head. The conversation had opened up a new perspective. Maybe the world wasn't as simple as it had seemed from the peaceful confines of my village. Still, the idea of causing harm for the sake of power... it left a sour taste in my mouth. Yet, I knew I had a lot to learn, and Feng Wu, in all his Taoist wisdom, was a beacon of guidance in this unfamiliar territory.

 

It was hard to believe we were close to the same age. Our experiences were worlds apart.

 

I took first watch and allowed Feng Wu to cultivate in peace while I watched over the stables, making sure none of the cultivators tried anything. But they rarely made their presence known, popping up in groups of two or three as they patrolled the village for any sign of the Wind Serpent.

 

The moon hung in the sky, casting its soft luminescence over the land. Tianyi was resting soundly on the corner of the windowsill. The words of Feng Wu still echoed in my mind, his wisdom challenging my seemingly naïve worldview. The line separating good from evil appeared to blur, its clarity diminishing amidst the complexities of the world outside my village.

 

Feng Wu understood the human propensity for greed and conflict, far more intimately than I could. His experiences in the Jianghu, a world of martial arts, sorcery, and intrigue, had given him perspectives that I, sheltered and nurtured by the serenity of my village, could hardly comprehend.

 

Yet, I found myself unwilling to let go of my beliefs. They were immature, perhaps, when pitted against the realities of a world that thrived on ambition and power. But these beliefs were a part of me, they defined who I was, they were the rock against which the waves of change crashed but failed to erode.

 

I was reminded of my childhood dreams of becoming a cultivator. Many in the village had scoffed at my aspirations, ridiculing them as fantasies of a naive boy. But I held on, worked hard, and proved them wrong. I wanted to do the same now, with my ideals about right and wrong, about justice and oppression.

 

As I watched the shimmering stars, I felt a spark of determination ignite within me. No matter how complex the world, how ambiguous the definitions of good and evil, I knew what I couldn't tolerate: cruelty, manipulation, the strong preying on the weak. The very idea of judging someone based on their reputation or talent and then choosing to trample over them... it was repulsive.

 

In the silence of the night, I made a resolution. I might be stepping into a world where might often trumped right, where survival dictated actions. But I would not allow myself to become a part of such a cycle. I would hold onto my beliefs, stand for what I deemed right. No matter how many times I would be ridiculed, no matter how many obstacles I would face, I would stay true to myself.

 

"OVER THERE!"

A loud voice shook me from my contemplations, making Tianyi rise up in alarm. I peered out the window and tilted my head to see what was going on. The moonlight revealed a group of six Silent Moon disciples, all wielding their weapons and chasing after something.

 

Another shout alerted them, forcing the group to curse and move backward out of view. But just as they left, I saw it.

 

It was a brief glimpse of something extraordinary. My breath hitched as a creature of ethereal beauty and majesty glided across the wall. The Wind Serpent. It was every bit as magnificent as the legends had described. Over one zhang long, with scales that shimmered like liquid silver under the moonlight, a being that seemed more at home among the stars than here on earth. It was so fast that it seemed almost as if it was a gust of wind itself, with a trail of cool breeze following in its wake.

 

I could hardly believe my eyes as the creature moved with the grace of a celestial dancer, its body twisting and turning with a fluidity that was truly mesmerizing. The serpent’s scales reflected the moonlight in a way that made it seem almost invisible, camouflaged against the night sky. It was a creature of speed and beauty, an embodiment of the free, wild spirit of the wind.

 

I watched as the Wind Serpent disappeared into the night, the cultivators of the Silent Moon sect oblivious to its presence. I grabbed my staff and gently alerted Feng Wu, making him rise from his seated position.

 

"The Wind Serpent! It's here! We have to go now!"

 

"Calm down, Kai." He put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "We'll need to assess the situation before we dive in."

 

"Feng Wu, I saw it! The damn thing passed by the building next door and disappeared! We have to catch it before it's too late!"

 

There was no telling what it would do if it managed to find a way of entering a Qingmu resident's home. Even with that glimpse, I could tell it was massive. The girth of the Wind Serpent was equal to my leg. Maybe even bigger. It could easily swallow a child whole.

 

"Trust me, Kai. Breathe. Don't let your emotions control you, and assess the situation rationally."

 

Feng Wu's calm voice cut through the whirlwind of panic and anxiety I was feeling. His calm demeanor was like an anchor in a storm, helping me regain control over my escalating emotions.

 

"I just... I don't want anyone to get hurt, Feng Wu," I said, my voice hitching with the intensity of my emotions.

 

"I understand, Kai. And neither do I. But that's precisely why we need to remain calm and make sure we're making the right decisions. We can't afford to rush in without a plan."

 

With a reluctant sigh, I nodded, recognizing the wisdom in his words. "Alright, alright. What do you suggest we do?"

 

Feng Wu was silent for a moment, clearly deep in thought. "We need a better vantage point, somewhere we can see the entire village without being seen ourselves. Do you think you can climb to the rooftop?"

 

My stomach churned at the idea. Heights weren't exactly my forte, and we were on the third floor. But the urgency of the situation was a powerful motivator. I gave a shaky nod. "I can try."

 

Feng Wu gave me an encouraging smile. "That's all I ask, Kai. Follow me."

 

With a graceful agility that I could only envy, Feng Wu swung open the window, and before I could even process what was happening, he had pulled himself up onto the window ledge and then onto the roof of the inn. With a single arm!

 

I took a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart, and then, mimicking Feng Wu, I clumsily managed to pull myself up onto the window ledge. But as I was about to hoist myself up onto the roof, a tile fell, and I felt a moment of stomach-dropping panic as I began to fall.

 

But then, in the next moment, a firm grip wrapped around my wrist, halting my painful path nearly three zhang below. I looked up to see Feng Wu, his arm outstretched, a small smile playing on his lips. "You're doing great, Kai. Just a little further."

 

With Feng Wu's help, I managed to pull myself onto the roof, my heart pounding in my chest and embarrassment burning my face. The view from up here was nothing short of breathtaking. The moonlight cast an ethereal glow over the entire village, and from this vantage point, we could see everything.

 

"Look," Feng Wu said, pointing towards a group of cultivators running past a house a few streets over, their lanterns bobbing like fireflies in the night. "They're still looking for the Wind Serpent."

 

"But they're going in the wrong direction," I pointed out, my eyes scanning the village. "The Wind Serpent went that way."

 

"That's our advantage, Kai. We know something they don't. Now we need to use that information wisely."

 

As we watched, another group of cultivators rushed past in the opposite direction, led astray by the misdirection of the Wind Serpent's wind trail. But I saw it again, and pointed it out to Feng Wu.

 

"Look! It's over there now! How the hell-?"

 

The speed it demonstrated was mind-boggling. Making its way from one end of the village to another made it look like it was teleporting. Was it possible for something to move that fast?

 

I watched in horror as it managed to slither through an opening in a window. It had managed to get in, almost as if it knew the other disciples would be out of reach.

 

Feng Wu narrowed his eyes. He took note of where we saw it and began to make his move, jumping lightly from rooftop to rooftop. Without much choice, I followed after him. I didn't even try to use qi to power my jump. I knew it was doable, but trying it now made me anxious. I jumped using the force of my legs alone, landing loudly onto another villager's rooftop with a fraction of the grace Feng Wu displayed. Inwardly, I hoped they would forgive me for the damage done to their tiles.

 

Just as I readied myself for the second leap, I saw something at the corner of my eye. Another brief flash of a tail. But this time, it was opposite to where I just spotted it a few second ago. It didn't make sense.

 

As it slithered away, I realized it was headed straight for the entrance of the stable where we placed our steeds. Within seconds, I began to hear screams.

 

The boy. The one who was feeding the horses!

 

Quest: Spirit Beast Subjugation

- Repel the Wind Serpents (0/2)

 

A pit formed in my stomach as realization hit. There's not just one. There are two Wind Serpents.

 

With Feng Wu just out of reach and the Silent Moon sect chasing another trail, I powered qi through my legs and leapt off the roof. It propelled me high into the air, and I began screaming.

 

"HEEEELP! IT'S OVER HERE!"

 

I landed on the floor, squatting deeply as my joints protested the amount of force it was put under. Despite my shouts of alarm, nobody came forward.

 

I would need to do this myself.

 

Armed with my iron staff, I rushed into the stables and hoped it wasn't too late.

4