32. Startle the Snake
55 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I pushed through the aged wooden gates, I was immediately met with the earthy scent of straw and horse sweat. Traditional lanterns hung from the high ceiling beams, their dim light casting an unsettling shadow-play on the neatly raked soil beneath. The murmurs of the horses in their bamboo stalls resonated through the cavernous space, accompanied by the occasional clatter of hooves and a soft sigh of equine breaths.

 

There, in the farthest corner of the stable, lay the monstrous Wind Serpent. It was a formidable sight, a living nightmare hewn from the darkest depths of folklore. Its scales shimmered with ethereal hues, flickering with the spectral light of the lanterns. It was immense, stretching almost two zhang in length - a sight that dwarfed the beasts in its presence.

 

As it slithered, its body created a soft rustling melody against the straw-covered floor. My heart hammered in my ribcage, an embodiment of the primal fear gripping me. Yet, I was held captive in my spot, ensnared by the grotesque beauty of the creature before me.

 

My gaze followed the silhouette of the serpent, settling on its massive head. The depthless black of its eyes reflected the lantern's glow, its fangs threatening and razor-sharp. The very thought of being swallowed whole by such a creature, my life snuffed out in an instant, sent a chilling shudder through my spine.

 

A hasty movement in my peripheral vision caught my attention - the innkeeper's son, a young boy half my age. He was a small figure against the backdrop of terror, his face etched with raw fear. Clumsily, he tossed whatever he could reach the colossal beast - a tattered straw hat, a rusty pitchfork, even a worn-out wooden clog.

 

The stable was plunged into hysteria. My horses, their eyes wild with fright, kicked at the sturdy bamboo gates of their stalls, their neighs echoing through the structure. Geese, housed in the smaller aviary adjacent to the stable, added their frantic squawks to the chilling symphony of dread.

 

Despite the mayhem, the Wind Serpent was unnervingly calm. It ignored the horses, perhaps due to their size being too large for its consumption. It seemed to relish in the fear it invoked, its interest drawn more towards the smaller critters that scurried in its periphery.

 

Even though my mind was flooded with terrible fear, I realized I had to act.

 

A wave of resolve crashed over me, the icy hands of fear momentarily receding. I knew what I had to do. My fingers tightened around the familiar grooves of my staff, the polished wood cool against my palm.

 

With a deep breath, I steeled myself. My battle cry cut through the air, a raw shout of determination that momentarily stilled the panicked cries of the horses. Then, I was moving, sprinting toward the serpent with all the speed I could muster.

 

"HAAAAAAA-!"

 

My mind played the scene in slow motion. I pictured the practice yard, the staff in my hands slicing the air in perfect arcs as I’d been taught. My footing faltered, my sandals skidding on loose straw. I wobbled, a sudden jolt of adrenaline saving me from a humiliating fall.

 

With a grunt, I regained my balance and continued my assault, my eyes locked on the colossal beast. My grip on the staff tightened, my muscles coiled, and I swung. My staff whistled through the air, meeting the serpent with a sickening thud.

 

But the wind serpent seemed barely affected. I could feel the shock of the impact reverberate up my arm, almost making me lose my grip. I realized then, training was one thing, but the reality of combat, was entirely another. Even with hours of practice, the terror of the situation made every swing feel clumsy, every stance feel shaky.

 

I swallowed, my heart pounding as the wind serpent shifted its colossal body, its attention now focused on me. But I had to fight. Even if my swings felt like a child's against the monstrous serpent.

 

The air stirred, and the hairs on my skin stood up in response. It was going to attack!

 

Out of sheer panic, I turned to the only skill that could protect me in this situation. I slid my feet into position and tensed up my entire body. I drew qi to reinforce myself, feeling the stability and rigidity that came with completing the Rooted Banyan Stance.

 

I barely completed the stance before the Wind Serpent lunged.

 

BOOM!

 

An onslaught of wind and power. My ribs creaked under the immense pressure of a reptile slamming its entire body weight onto me, and I went flying through the wall of the stable and out to the clearing. I let out an ugly gasp as the air left my lungs. It was unlike anything I'd ever felt before.

 

I let out pitiful wheezing noises, trying to get back up but it was near impossible. I dread thinking about what would've happened if I didn't protect myself with the Rooted Banyan Stance.

 

The hissing noise was followed by the snake's gaping maw ready to consume me whole. I screamed, hoping it would get anybody's attention before raising the staff and blocking the attempt on my life.

 

"FENG WU! HELP!"

 

There was no way I could defeat this on my own. Surviving that first attack took my all. My arms were rapidly giving out and my teeth nearly cracked as I fought desperately to stay alive.

 

The snake flinched, before rearing its head back and hissing in agony. I scrambled upward and saw Tianyi, glowing brighter than ever. As the Wind Serpent turned and stared, I could see one eye had been sliced open as a result of her attack. I could feel her simmering anger through our connection as she circled around in the air. Her wings looked razor-sharp.

 

A figure leapt in from above, shielding me from view and taking the Spirit Beast's attention. Feng Wu. I nearly collapsed in relief. He was holding his bladed fan, fully extended. He held a severe expression on his face.

 

"No time to rest, Kai! Ready yourself. Watch your back."

 

"Wha-?"

 

From behind, I could see a second Wind Serpent going on a rampage as three Silent Moon disciples clung to its midsection. But due to the sheer speed, they were unable to hold and skidded onto the floor.

 

I threw myself to the side to avoid it, and it charged over to where the first one was.

 

Suddenly, the air around us charged with an energy so intense it made my hair stand on end. The two serpents intertwined, their scales flickering with an ethereal glow. Their bodies rose up like coiling towers, the symbols on their scales dancing and writhing in the lantern light. The wind whipped into a frenzy around them, stirring the straw and dust into a miniature whirlwind. The two beasts hissed and roared, their voices mingling into a haunting melody that echoed into the night.

 

My breath hitched as they spiraled around each other, their enormous bodies entwined in a complex dance. I could barely keep up with their movements. It was as if the serpents had melded into one, their bodies fusing in a beautiful but terrifying display. The power they radiated was almost tangible, a living, breathing force that made the ground beneath us tremble.

 

Then, with a deafening roar, the serpents released the energy they had built up. A shockwave of wind exploded outward, throwing everyone and everything away from them. The concussive blast flung me back, my body slamming into the ruins of the stable wall. A burst of pain exploded in my shoulder, but it was quickly forgotten as the world spun wildly around me.

 

My ears rang, the powerful roar of the wind serpents echoing inside my head. As I struggled to my feet, swaying unsteadily, I looked up to see the serpents had slithered off in different directions, hiding in the shadows as the rest of the cultivators arrived.

 

Xu Ziqing stomped toward me with a sword in his hand. He looked enraged and slightly worse for wear. The cocky smirk he wore when we first met was long gone; replaced by a volcanic expression as he picked me up by the collar.

 

"I thought I told you idiots not to interfere."

Was this guy serious?

 

"Interfere?! That's what you're worried about?" I shot back. I tried to shove his arm off, but it was unrelenting. As a second-class disciple, there was no chance I could beat him in a physical contest. My arms trembled, already weakened from the battle. "There are two fucking Wind Serpents! One was about to eat the innkeeper's child!"

 

He threw me to the floor and scoffed. "You disregarded the Silent Moon sect and put your nose in where you shouldn't have."

 

Although I knew I couldn't I sorely wanted to punch him in the face. "How-"

 

Feng Wu cut in between us. Several strands of hair fell down his head, showing he didn't come out unscathed from the massive attack the Wind Serpents performed. "I will not sit by and watch innocent people be attacked just to save your sect face. If you were truly competent, you'd know that this subjugation will require any help you can get."

 

Sparks flew between the two as they faced each other. The tension made it difficult for me to breathe as we were surrounded by the Silent Moon disciples. Some were paying attention to the conversation, but more than half had their backs facing each other, eyeing the shadows as they waited for the Wind Serpents to reappear.

 

"Enough!" I shouted. "Save this for when we're out of immediate danger! The Spirit Beasts could be anywhere!"

 

They both glanced at me. Feng Wu, with a measure of respect in his eyes, and Xu Ziqing with disdain and irritation. After a few tense seconds, they turned away from each other and focused.

 

Xu Ziqing began barking orders, setting the cultivators into defensive positions, his anger turning into a focused intensity. "Zhou Li, Li Hu, cover the east side! Yu Han, Chen Wu, take the west! The rest, form a circle. And for heaven's sake, stay alert!"

 

Disciples hustled to their assigned places, their previous annoyance replaced with sharp, survival-driven alertness. This was no longer a mere power struggle, but a life-threatening situation. We were in the heart of the village now, surrounded by huts and outbuildings whose shadows concealed unseen dangers. The remnants of the day's life – empty carts, barrels, stacks of hay – all turned into potential hiding spots for the Wind Serpents.

 

Feng Wu, despite the animosity between him and Xu Ziqing, understood the gravity of our predicament. He positioned himself as part of the defensive ring, bladed fan at the ready. Its polished surface captured the feeble moonlight, reflecting an almost ghostly glimmer.

 

As I moved to join the formation, Xu Ziqing's stern voice stopped me. "You Stay put. Do not act without orders. Cause no trouble."

 

His tone was condescending, and I clenched my teeth, biting back a retort. I didn't need him to tell me what to do. I knew my place in this battle. My role was to support Feng Wu and the others and to protect the villagers. But I also knew that I had to be careful. My eagerness to help had nearly cost me my life just moments ago.

 

Swallowing my pride, I nodded stiffly. Xu Ziqing huffed, turning his attention back to the darkness beyond. I tightened my grip on my staff, my senses heightened. Every rustle of leaves, every flutter of a bird's wings in the distant trees made me jumpy. I wanted to be useful, not just stand there waiting for something to happen.

 

The village was deathly quiet, every rustle, every creak seeming unnaturally loud. I stood, feeling helpless and frustrated, but determined to do what I could. I might not be as powerful as the others, but I wasn't going to stand idle.

 

Then, from the direction of the old mill, a faint rustling was heard. It was a sound that could have easily been dismissed as the wind or a small animal. But we all knew better. It was them.

 

Feng Wu and Xu Ziqing seemed to have a silent communication of their own. With a curt nod, they sprang into action. Feng Wu's body glowed slightly as he took one side of the building. Xu Ziqing raised his blade and stood extremely still, before bursting into movement and slicing a deep gouge into the wall.

 

And then, there it was – a deafening hiss, a dark, monstrous shape erupting from the confines of the old mill. The Wind Serpent was visibly disoriented, missing an eye. Its scales glistening eerily in the sporadic moonlight as it writhed in the air. Feng Wu seized the opportunity and charged forward, delivering lightning-fast strikes across its scales.

 

The second one struck at our group in that moment, forcing the third-class disciples backward as they fended off an errant tail whip that elicited a gust of wind.

 

Tianyi remained on my shoulder, her small body pulsating with a steady stream of qi, her eyes following the chaos unfolding before us. As I soaked in the healing energy, I couldn't help but agonize over my lack of ability to contribute. I was a burden in this situation, and the Silent Moon sect would likely be more than happy to see me interfere and get killed so long as I didn't impede them.

 

How could I help them? How could I-

 

An epiphany struck me at that moment. I looked to the stables where the horses were. Past the hole my body had made, to the very end of the building where my cart sat. Potions.

 

My martial ability might not have been up to par, but that didn't mean I have to be useless.

 

As the battle raged in the middle of Qingmu village, I began moving towards the stables with fiery determination.

3