Chapter 2
57 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since I don’t have anything to do while I recuperate, I asked Maester Corren to bring me books to read. Yes, I finally know his name when I misheard one of the servant calling him.

I don’t know if all the books and scrolls in this world are scholar-related or not but Maester Corren only brings this category to me, not that I’m searching for American comic books but half of these books are all about medicine.

I was also requesting a Septon or Septa to be brought to my chamber every day since I get my full consciousness back, we are having a conversation about The Faith of Seven since I only know the superficial nature of it and its history.

I just figure since this is a medieval society, I would really benefit to know about the majority of religions in this world since it was an important aspect of life during this time period.

Anyway, turns out they were really enthusiastic to share more information with you including outside the Faith of Seven if you present impression you were really interested with their belief.

We talk a lot, they were fairly knowledgeable about other religions too.

“Since the Faith of Seven was coming from outside of Westeros, do the Sept members of the Faith are required or expected to speak other languages?” I asked one of the Septa name Marybel who has been talking with me these last couple of days.

Septa Marybel considered the question thoughtfully. “The Andals invasion which brings The Faith of Seven among them to Westeros happened thousand of years ago, Your Highness. They influence Westerosi customs from that point until now with their own cultures but they do not forced language assimilation of their own. Perhaps that’s why we as member of The Faith of Seven Sept do not have any familiarity with foreign language in our institution even during our first inception to today.” She paused letting her explanation settle in.

“Is there a reason of why Your Highness ask that particular question?”

‘Well… because there is a high chance I would get exile to outside of Westeros in the near future. It would be nice if I can fairly speak multiple languages beside the common tongue and High Valyria.’ I answered in my mind.

I don’t remember any memories of Viserys’s past but somehow I retain scattered knowledge, in particular like High Valyria language without ever learning about it.

“Just wondering, I would like to learn about other languages that are spoken outside of Westeros too,” I said nonchalantly.

Septa Marybel nodded. “If that’s the case, mayhaps a trader is more appropriate person to consult with. We have many Braavosi traders that regularly visit and do business here in Dragonstone, perhaps Your Highness would like to speak with one of them?” Septa Marybel asked.

“I would like that, can you help me arrange it Sister Marybel?” I request.

“Of course, I will inform the guards of this matter, I will personally recommend a trader that The Faith has connection with to meet with you, I think he would be more than happy to provide you with more information about his culture if he's currently available on the island.” She helpfully smiles.

“Thank you for your help and time Sister, we had a lot of interesting and open discussions these last few days. I hope we can have many more discussions in the far future.” I said, politely dismissing her.

“It’s my pleasure, My Prince. There were some ill rumors about you but thanks to Seven I have the opportunity to prove it wrong, you have been nothing but a wonderful host since the beginning and until the end, if I dare to say, just like your older brother, Prince Rhaegar.”

I shyly coughed.

‘Welp… That was some high compliment, it seems like I have outdone myself this time around,’ I think in my mind.

“Thank you for the compliment, Sister. Perhaps there is some truth about those rumors, I was just trying to be less of a petulant child since I don’t wish to be a burden for my Mother.”

Septa Marybel shakes her head, “Nonsense, My Prince… You have demonstrated a level of maturity beyond your years, All those nasty rumors, at the very least among the Sept, let me see to it and fix it.” She exclaimed, bowing before me.

I nod back with a sheepish smile on my face, letting her leave.

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

In the late afternoon these days, I usually take a walk, getting used to my new body, Viserys body or more accurately my body is currently on skinny side and it seems like if I have to guess from the appearance alone I currently barely hit ten years old. During one of my strolls I’ve also met with Ser Willem Darry, he was a gruff old man just like in canon.

I was telling him I would start my sword training with him as soon as I felt able to and have more energy to do it, but he was looking at me funny. He said I would feel better much quickly if I started training immediately, I don’t know about that but we agree to settled for light training just to see how far I can go every other day.

I keep walk around the castle, one thing I didn’t expect was how grand Dragonstone truly is, this kind of infrastructure is not possible to be built in the real world, especially in this time period. This is just straight-up magic and sorcery.

I didn’t mentioned it before, but in this particular afternoon I bring a couple scrolls with me, intend to sneak into The Chamber of the Painted Table. I found it not long after going around the hall and asking one of the servant.

I pushed the big door opening the chamber before quickly shutting it again, this room is technically a war room where the Targaryen ancestor (Aegon and his Sisters) planning their invasion of Westeros approximately 300 years ago.  

The painted table itself is a large table carved in the shape of Westeros. The table is meticulously detailed, featuring different types of wood to represent the various regions, with gemstones used to denote major cities.

This table was commissioned by Aegon the First, which meant no matter how impressive this table is there is bound to be inaccurate information that was not updated yet.

That’s why I bring the scrolls, this scrolls contain various maps. I want to learn about Westeros geography and it’s important for me to know I have the most up-to-date and correct information about it.

While I’m busy making notes and journaling the various places across Westeros, the chamber door is open with Maester Corren behind it.

“Your Highness… I had checked on you in your chamber while you were not there and wondered where you were going, what are you doing here?” He asked.

‘Whoops… Busted,’

“Just refreshing my study Maester Corren” I expertly lied.

He smiles rather proudly, “That’s an admirable discipline Your Highness. Do you need my help?” he beams, walking toward me.

‘Dude… No, I deliberately sneak up here because I don’t want you to know I know next to nothing about basic Westeros geography.’ I screamed internally.

“I don’t think so Maester Corren, aren’t you busy with something else?” I said smartly.

“Your education is part of my job and duty Your Highness, worry not, I don’t have anything else to do right now. How about we start with some questions you have to answer…”

I gulped, realizing there was no way out of this situation. Maester Corren's insistence on helping with my studies was genuine, and I couldn't simply brush him off without feeling bad or raising suspicion.

"Alright, Maester Corren," I conceded reluctantly, still hoping I could steer the conversation in a way that wouldn't expose my lack of knowledge.

Fortunately, after we spend a couple of minutes together, I found out it was fairly easy to do just that, Maester Corren passionately explaining various regions and histories of Westeros to me.

My fear is actually unfounded, maybe because he realized I was really listening and keeping note of everything he was telling me, but it turns out he didn’t feel the need to test my knowledge with questions.

He does ask a few but it's about subjects he already explained so I know all of the answers. All in all, in the end, it turns out all right and more beneficial for me.

2