Chapter 11: What A ‘Relief’
28 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Suddenly, multiple knocks on the bathroom door jolted me back to reality. "Noah? Are you okay?! Noah?!" The voice sounded muffled through the door, tinged with concern.

My mind raced, grappling with intrusive thoughts that threatened to pull me under. The trauma from my past, the abuse I had endured, resurfaced with a vengeance, casting a dark shadow over my present reality.

I took a shaky breath, trying to regain my composure. "I-I'm f-fine," my voice trembled, echoing through the bathroom walls. The persistent patter of the running shower continued, drowning the room in its ceaseless sound.

There was a momentary pause, as if Marius was contemplating his next move. "Alright," he finally replied, his voice filled with unease. "Just... tell me if you need help!"

As his footsteps faded, leaving me alone with my thoughts, I realized the depth of my vulnerability. The scars of the past still haunted me.

Taking a deep breath, I pushed myself up from the cold, tiled floor of the bathroom. A dull ache resonated through my back, the impact having left its mark. "This is gonna cause a bruise," I muttered to myself, massaging the sore spot with my hands, hoping to alleviate some of the discomfort. Gathering my strength, I steadied myself, leaning against the wall for support.

The realization dawned upon me that Marius might have heard more than I'd like to admit. My fear, the despair of my screams – it was all laid bare, echoing through the confines of the room. A pang of embarrassment washed over me. There was no way I was going to leave the bathroom.

I'm just gonna stay in here, yep. I've got enough water to survive for... pretty much forever. Humans survive at least 3 weeks without food, right?

Suddenly, another round of knocks sounded at the door. "I... um..." Marius stuttered, seeming to be just as embarrassed as myself. "I don't want to be annoying you, but... I might need to use the bathroom at some point."

I sighed. Well, there goes my plan. Guess it was a pretty bad one anyway. But can't he hold it in a bit longer? And why is he already back again? Wasn't he going to play a solo-queue game?

Now, it had dawned on me... How long have I been in here already?!

"It's pretty urgent," Marius emphasized, desperately. The undertone of panic in his voice caught me off guard.

Can't he pee outside the window or something?! Isn't that what boys do?

"Y-yeah, I'm hurrying. Hang in there! Sorry!" I wrapped a towel around my body, then a second one, just to make sure nothing could be seen.

As I opened the bathroom door, Marius was there, leaning against the wall, his eyes going over my body as if he were looking for something. "Are you okay?" he asked in a serious tone.

Perplexed, I nodded and offered a small but sincere smile. "Mhm," I said.

I already told him I was fine, didn't I? Does he care that much about me, he needs to ask twice?

"Sooo," I began, pointing at the toilet behind me. "Do you still need to go?" I reassured, raising an eyebrow in question.

"Ah, yes. Thank you." he replied, chuckling slightly, a hint of embarrassment evident in his demeanor.

I let him through, stepping out of the door way to allow him some space. After the bathroom door closed, I leaned against it and let myself fall down to the floor. My heartbeat gradually returned to a more regular rhythm.

From behind the door, I could hear Marius exhale deeply, the sound echoing with relief. The tension seemed to dissipate for both of us.

So he really was worried about me, huh?

Then, the soft sound of Marius relieving himself drifted through the bathroom door, mingling with the faint hum of the ventilation fan. My eyes widened, and my cheeks flushed. What had I been expecting? Feeling somewhat guilty for listening, I pulled my head back slightly from the door, yet the sound persisted in my ears.

Or was he rather relieved because of... that?

A faint smile tugged at the corners of my lips as another thought crossed my mind. I began giggling softly. "Or perhaps," I mused silently to myself, "he's relieved for both reasons."

As the toilet flushed, a brief moment of panic gripped me. The need to move away from the door became suddenly urgent; I couldn't have Marius thinking I was lingering for any weird reason.

"Uh, I think I left my phone on the bedside table," I blurted out, trying to act unsuspicious.

Marius stepped out, his face notably more relaxed as he let out a deep sigh. "Thanks for understanding," he said, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

"No problem," I replied, attempting to match his casual tone. "It wasn't a big deal." I rushed over to the sink, feigning interest in rearranging the items on top of it, all the while attempting to drown out the awkwardness of the situation.

Marius looked at me, his eyes searching for something. "Uhm... so what happened in there? You sounded pretty... scared," he asked, his concern palpable.

Looking up, my gaze met his through the mirror. There was a momentary silence, the air thick with unspoken words. "Just a... rough day," I mumbled, hoping he wouldn't press further. My eyes shifted to the side, not entirely convinced of my own words.

Marius nodded, his expression softening. "I understand," he replied gently. "Let me know if I can help somehow."

A sense of gratitude washed over me. "Thank you"

Taking a few moments to compose myself, I began to assess the situation. I needed a plan, a way to ensure that the remainder of our time sharing this space would go as smooth as possible. The tournament was fast approaching, and distractions were the last things either of us needed.

As I busied myself with the toiletries, I felt Marius's eyes on me, attempting to read the unspoken emotions swirling between us. "So," he began, his voice hesitant, "About the room situation... Maybe we should establish some ground rules? To ensure you're comfortable?"

I looked at him, appreciating his attempt to diffuse the tension. "Uhm... Yes, sounds good," I replied, grateful for his proactive approach. "Like what?"

Marius began, rubbing his chin, clearly contemplating his response. "Well... Perhaps we could set some guidelines. For instance, if you ever need space or time alone, just let me know, and I can find somewhere else to be."

His consideration took me by surprise. "You'd just leave if I asked you to?"

He shrugged slightly. "Of course... I want you to feel safe."

His words were comforting, reassuring me that he wouldn't be offended by such a request. "Alright," I began, considering his suggestion, "That's nice of you. But it should work both ways then. If you ever need a moment alone, let me know too."

He nodded, a faint smile appearing on his lips. "Sounds like a plan."

As the evening progressed, we managed to establish a few more ground rules, lightening the mood and dispelling some of the earlier awkwardness. We exchanged stories, shared a few laughs, and for a moment, the tension seemed to fade away.

However, as the night deepened, I couldn't shake off a growing unease. The room's ambiance shifted subtly, the shadows growing longer. I glanced at the bed we'd have to share, suddenly aware of the implications.

When it was time to sleep came the realization: it would be my first time sharing a bed. With a boy. The weight of that realization hung heavily in the air, leaving me wondering what the night would hold.

1