Chapter 5: New Employee (3)
73 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Mia's point of view]

I followed Donna, everywhere we went there were a lot of people to meet. I had to make a note of their names as there were a lot of people in different departments. I don't know if it was my imagination but people seemed to scrutinize me and look at me differently when Donna introduced me as Miss Fords' new assistant.

I was intimidated as some people are looking at me like hungry wolves. From my knowledge and what I've seen from dramas, this so-called intimidation is to let the new employees know that there is a hierarchy that needs to be followed and respected. "I understand, so please stop looking at me like that." I pleaded in my mind. I don't know what their opinion is about me but I have always been a good follower.

My feet hurts from all the walking, my head hurts from all the names I need to remember and add to that, the errands I have to do once I officially start working. I was not used to walking with heels I can feel the burning sensation on my feet. It seems I have blisters and I wanted to put band-aid on them. The friction makes them more unbearable. I wanted to ask Donna for a break but she seemed unapproachable like those single 40-year-old women who lost all hope in being married. "Hai. This poor woman. Just hang in there you would soon meet someone you will love." I thought to myself.

Finally, Donna stopped her steps and pointed in one direction. "If we go straight towards this corridor a large canteen can be seen. I think it's about time to have our lunch break. We will continue afterward," She said as she continues walking in the direction she pointed at.

Looking like a country bumpkin, I was surprised to see that the "canteen" she mentioned was worlds apart from the "canteen" I'm used to eating in. The "canteen" that was in front of me looked like a 5-star restaurant that can be found in luxurious hotels. The meals looked expensive while the atmosphere was fitting the elegance of the hall.

I was apprehensive to enter as I don't have a lot of money and Donna must have noticed my indecisiveness.

"What's wrong Miss Hall? We only have an hour break so I would like to get some food as fast as possible." She said.

I looked at the food she was pointing at. It was a buffet style with servers on each dish to assist the employees with the food they have selected. I once again thought to myself, "Yup, I definitely can't afford to eat here."

"Miss Donna I think it would be better for me to eat someplace else," I said politely.

"We are already here so stop wasting time. Let's go." She said with a bit of annoyance to her tone.

"This woman is so dense. Why can't she take a hint? She knows that I am a new employee and I haven't received a single dime from this company. How can I afford to eat here?" I thought to myself. Although I wanted to tell her these words, I am only a new employee so I should act respectfully all the time. I know where I stand and that's the bottom, the lowest of the low so if I say anything here it may cause me my job.

Suddenly there was a commotion at the entrance. People started to part and give way to someone. Some people even bowed while others nodded to show respect. I wondered which important person entered the canteen. I tried stretching my neck further to take a glimpse but all I can see is a sea of peoples' head. Since my height is average unless I get on a stool then I can't get a clear view. I was so preoccupied that I did not notice the sea of people in front of me gave way, I thought it was my chance stepped out but as I was in a hurry to get out I did not notice that there was someone in front as I bumped with him.

Sfx*thud*

"I'm sorry. I was not looking where I was going." I quickly apologized and bowed to the person in front of me. I was sure he was someone important if people gave way to him. The man was quite tall since all I can see was his chest which was firm. I then lifted my head to look at his face and apologize again but I could not say a single word. The person who looked at me had a handsome smiling face however behind that charming smile, it felt like he was looking at me intently which made me wondered why.

Donna suddenly pulled my arm with force, it hurts. She then bowed her head and said, "CEO White, I am sorry it was my responsibility to take care of the new employee." As I heard Donna mention CEO I quickly bowed my head again afraid to make eye contact with said person.

He, however, continued smiling as charming as ever and dismissed everything like it was nothing. "It's alright. Everyone continue with your break." He walked away in one of the private rooms. I couldn't take my eyes away from his back. He seemed oddly familiar but I could not match that face with anyone I know.

The people who heard his reply were flabbergasted as they saw CEO White's smiling face. This devilishly handsome man was known to be cold and strict towards his employees. People were thinking if he ate something wrong or something incredibly amazing happened for him to be so happy. It was also known that he does not eat at the canteen as he has a large space with a nice view where he can dine at his office. His food was always delivered which was meticulously prepared by the company chefs. This is why people were wondering why he decided to eat here instead. The commotion did not break down until he stepped into the VIP room that was always reserved for the company higher-ups.

1