Chapter 6: New Employee (4)
57 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

William entered the room and sat on the comfortable chair, when the door was closed and he was sure that no one else was near the door, he laughed out loud to himself. He just couldn't help himself as he saw Mia's surprised face when they bumped into each other. He saw his face reflected in those bright eyes of her and he felt elated. However, what bothered him was that she was not able to recognize him. He scrunched up his brows and thought of better ways to approach her.

He tried bumping with her on the elevator but it seemed like he missed the chance. He tried waiting for her until it was almost time for the company business hours to start but to no avail. He was depressed going up to his office so he asked Melissa where the new employee was, but to his disappointment he was not able to determine the exact place where Mia headed, he decided to wait for her at the canteen. Lunch break was the same time for everyone so he was sure that he can find her there.

The gamble paid off but her reaction was not what he expected. However, he needed to be patient as he was aware of the gossips that were spreading around the office. He was surprised at the fast-spreading news of a new assistant under Melissa. It was only her first day and yet everyone is already aware of her some even talks about her. He needed to be careful he does not want any additional gossips to spread, as he was thinking he forgot that he was not alone.

While William was deep in his thoughts the women who were supposed to be taking their lunch still looked like they were in a daze. They were looking at William in his thinking posture and his face looked like an expensive painting that captured the hearts of ladies. This was the first time some of them even got the chance to see him clearly. It felt like just reaching out their hand and they will be able to touch him.

...

On the other hand, Donna was still trying to calm her nerves as what happened earlier rattled her. She was responsible for Mia for today, she would be the one facing the consequences if something did happen. She looked at the person who was the cause of her worries to only find her already holding 2 plates, one at each hand.

Donna was surprised as Mia was the one who was saying she did not want to eat here, and she looked very determined in that matter. However, now she was as happy as can be while humming a tune with a smiling face. It was as if she got the first prize from the local market sweepstakes draw. Mia noticed that Donna was looking at her so she asked, "I thought you were hungry Miss Donna?" she looked at Donna curiously. She then started looking around for a comfortable seat to eat.

You could see a vein wiggling at Donna's head. She thought to herself that this person brings a lot of trouble, she was relieved to know that she only needs to last until work was over. She did not ask Mia about her sudden change of attitude and decided to get food.

Mia who was undecided at first changed her mind when she saw the fine print description on the menu. There it says, "All employees are free to eat anything on the menu." Her big round eyes were sparkling with happiness. She could not help herself from salivating with the amount of free food in front of her. Big companies sure are different, the salary is higher, the benefits are better and the food is free.

Everything was uneventful after their lunch break. She didn't think that they would be able to finish the introductions on her first day, but they did. The last thing she did before finishing her work for the day was getting her picture taken for her identification card and signing her employment contract.

Everything went well for my first day, she thought.

She had to take the bus to get home. It approximately takes 15-20 minutes depending on the traffic. Since she finished her first day, she decided to buy some beer and spicy chicken wings to celebrate. Her household was made up of three people. She was the only child of the family. Her father was in the construction business while her mother was a housewife. Both mother and child like to watch television dramas every night while waiting for the father to come home. His work sometimes becomes irregular if they needed to finish a project.

Their house is a normal household with 3 rooms, 2 baths, a kitchen and a small backyard. Although they were not rich they did not have any financial difficulties.

"Ma I'm home!" Mia exclaimed while she entered the house. Her little dog was running towards her showing affection as her owner came back home. Her little tail wiggling and she was standing on two feet wanting a hug.

Her mom looked at her and said, "How was your first day?"

Her mom was in the kitchen preparing for dinner. You can smell an aroma drifting from the kitchen.

"It was good ma. The people seemed nice, I think we were worried for nothing." Mia replied while putting the items she bought on the counter.

Mia's mom stared at her and said, "You bought beer and some fried chicken wings again? You will definitely become fat. Don't go gaining weight before you get a proper husband. You're not getting any younger Mia."

"I'm still young ma, and how can I get a husband when I don't even have a boyfriend," Mia said while grunting. This was not the first time her mother mentioned this. Every time she spends time with the other women outside their neighborhood, all they take about are their kids, grandkids or how successful their children are. What bothers Mia the most is her mother letting all out her frustration on her when the other neighbors start asking about her situation. She put the beer in the fridge, took one, and went to sit on the couch while opening the television.

1