Volume 1: Arc 2: Chapter 25: Like mother, like daughter
321 6 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Inside the Gazebo, Sera inquired once more, “What are you here for mother?”

"What? Can't a mother come to visit her daughter?" Ravenna countered playfully.

"Oh! Then will you stay for a few days?" Sera jested.

"Unfortunately, we can't. When she received the report that her grandchildren were close to being sacrificed to a demon, she immediately rushed over, throwing everything aside,” Lila responded in Ravenna's stead.

“Oh” Sera understood.

"Your tongue seems particularly loose today," Ravenna narrowed her eyes.

Giku Lila flinched.

“It seems it needs some punishment. I will make sure to fill both your mouths tightly. You can forget your sleep tonight.” Ravenna smiled dangerously.

Lila became frightened for a bit, squirmed her legs, swallowed her saliva nervously, licked her lips, nodded and said meekly with a blush on her cheeks, “Okay.”

‘Gulp, Aunt Eleanor seems to inherit her sadistic nature from grandmother.’ Tia gulped internally.

‘Or is it a trait of the family?’ Tia thought, looking at Sera.

"Then at least stay for the night," Sera chuckled.

"I can't. I'm already on a tight schedule. Now that your plan has succeeded, we're at a crucial step."

‘What plan?’ Tia thought.

"Now is the time to expand our influence and stabilize our position. I have to help Count Adrian too. Not to mention I have an additional agenda.”

‘Agenda???’ Sera is puzzled as she isn’t aware of it.

“In the next few years, I'll probably be very busy. That's why I rushed to settle your matters first."

‘Adrian? Where did I hear this name?’ Tia tried to recall.

“I heard you visited the shrine?” asked Sera.

“Hmm,” Ravenna nodded.

“What do you think?”

“That old monster is as healthy as ever.”

“Will you be able to fight them?”

Ravenna pondered for a moment. “Hard to say. If I am to fight them alone, it might end up in my loss. If I fight along with my wives, then maybe we can make a draw.”

“Kevin is still in his growth phase. In the future, I am certain that he will become an even stronger monster than Benedict. I think he is definitely from an ancient family. It’s better if we don’t mess with them anymore.”

“Why? Do you want to get rid of them or something?”

“No, I just wanted to gauge their capabilities,” Sera shook her head.

“Good. It is better if you don’t take any more risks.”

“I know. Is there a way to thank them?”

“You want to thank those priests?” Lila interjected, surprised.

“The extent of Malachi and Ethan’s corruption went beyond my calculations. It was a huge blunder on my part. Even if I have the Lamia’s Embrace, I might not have been able to make it in time to save Vina and Tia. If it wasn't for Kevin and Benedict, I might have lost my reason for living. I really owe them big time. I can pay the villagers who went on rescue with money. But I couldn't think of anything I can give them as repayment,” Sera explained.

‘Plan? Adrian? Malachi? Ethan?’

‘Huh! I remember now. These were the names of fishes in the story mother told us when Aunt Eleanor visited last year.’ Tia recalled.

‘Does it mean, mother planned something involving Ethan and Malachi? That too from last year? maybe even longer.’ Tia tried to piece together the information he observed.

“This is hard to determine. Considering their identities and status, even if it is me, I couldn’t think of anything I could do or give them as repayment.” Ravenna contemplated.

Ravenna observed Sera, who seemed frustrated.

“I know how you feel. You can’t stand being indebted to someone. Currently, neither of us have anything we can think of to repay them.

“How about this? If you are unable to come up with something, perhaps decades or even centuries hence, should an opportunity present itself, As your mother, I will try to help them as repayment for their favor in your stead.”

“Alright, I will leave this matter to you then,” Sera sighed, unable to find a way.

“Now, let’s discuss your recompense,” Ravenna continued.

“Hmm,” Sera gestured for her to proceed.

"The old hags declined your petition for ownership of the Lamia’s Embrace. However, they agreed to extend the loan period for the artifact for another 15 years," Ravenna explained.

“They initially only agreed to extend it for 10 years. But Ravenna threatened them and made them increase it to 15 years.” Aiden interjected with a smile.

“You speak too much. Are you also craving for some punishment?” Ravenna shot him a sharp glance, prompting a chuckle from him.

“Thank you, Mother,” Sera replied with a smile.

"I believe the compensation you've received doesn't quite balance your accomplishments," Ravenna waved her hand indicating that it was nothing. 

"It holds significant historical value for our clan, being an ancient relic, but beyond that, it is utterly useless to everyone else. I still don't understand why they're so obstinate about withholding it from you. Those old bitches are evading my inquiries stubbornly," Ravenna continued, frustrated.

"Indeed, I am also curious about this. Even after utilizing it for over a decade, I've yet to uncover anything substantial," Sera added, summoning the artifact onto her wrist.

All eyes were drawn to the enigmatic ornament.

‘Is this the item they're all talking about? Lamia's Embrace, they called it? What exactly is an artifact?’ Tia mused, his curiosity piqued as he observed the ornament that suddenly appeared on Sera's wrist.

"Mother, what is that?" Vina inquired, interested.

“This is called an artifact.” Sera chuckled.

"Can we see it?" Tia asked eagerly.

"Of course, but you both must promise to keep it a secret," Sera instructed, removing the ornament and passing it to Vina and Tia, who eagerly began to examine it.

“Yes!” Tia and Vina nodded like hens.

It seems like an old and worn out metallic bracelet made of unknown metal which is bronze in color. It is in the shape of a completely naked lamia. If worn, its tail coils along the wrist and its upper boy lies on the palm. It has an eerie and ancient feeling to it. Holding it felt like holding a living snake almost making others hear the hissing sound.

"If you're so desperate for the artifact, why don’t you just take it and run away?" Aiden suggested with a mischievous grin.

"Oh my, listen to you, smoothly suggesting treachery," teased Lila making Aiden chuckle.

‘No, although Sera is lecherous, mother wouldn't condone stealing,’ Tia silently defended Sera in his mind.

"I'd love to, believe me. But I can’t," Sera sighed.

Crack.

"And look at you, not even batting an eye at the idea," Lila shook her head in amusement.

"Why not?" Isolde asked.

"This artifact is of an incredibly high level and is bound to those old crones. I can only use it because they've granted me permission. If I were to steal it and flee, they'd simply render it useless. And who knows, it might even have tracking capabilities. I wouldn't be able to hide," Sera explained, frustrated.

"Unless those old hags kick the bucket, I can't claim ownership for this artifact. If not for that, I would have long fled," Sera pouted, momentarily reverting to her childish demeanor in front of her mother.

Crack.

‘Mother!’ Tia heard the sound of Sera's righteous image shattering in his heart.

“Hmm, I can’t beat them as I am now. But if it is after 15 years. Maybe we can sneak attack and gang up on them.” Ravenna mused, serious.

"But even that might not be enough. I can't picture them going down easily, even with mother leading the charge," Sera added, frustrated as she nibbled on her thumbnail.

Their conversation left Aiden and Isolde feeling anxious.

‘Mother, please don't. Killing is wrong,’ Tia wanted to scream, but he held his tongue.

“Hey, you two, stop plotting assassination against our clan matriarchs. They're good old grannies,” Lila exclaimed.

“Tch,” Ravenna and Sera clicked their tongues simultaneously.

“Seriously, what did they do to you two to make you so hostile?” Lila pressed, but they refrained from answering, invoking their right to remain silent.

‘This won't do. If this continues, they might go and kill someone. I need to divert them,’ Tia desperately racked his brain.

“Mother, why isn't it doing anything?” Vina interrupted them after experimenting with the artifact.

‘Nice one, sister,’ Tia gave a thumbs up to Vina in his heart.

“You can't use it without awakening your magic,” Ravenna explained.

“Oh!”

“Grandmother, what does it actually do?” Tia asked, curious.

Vina perked up, her curiosity piqued.

“Hmm, it has many functions, but you could say that it lets others have pleasant dreams,” Ravenna replied cryptically.

“Haha, that's one way to put it. Nightmares is the more accurate term, though,” Aiden interjected with a grin.

‘Dreams? Nightmare? What use are they? Does it have anything to do with mother’s late night escapades? ' Tia pondered.

“Alright, I will let you play with it later.” Sera retrieved the artifact and wore it on her hand. Sera soon made the ornament disappear.

“Wow! I want to awaken my magic soon." Vina said excitedly. 

The children’s curiosity  elicited a chuckle from everyone.

Copyright ©[May] [2024] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved. 

"If you need anything else, just tell me, and I will get it for you. As for those old hags, I'll take care of them," Ravenna assured.

"In that case, can you procure two sustenance rings? Vina and Tia will need them soon," Sera requested.

"I see, for the magic awakening ceremony. But why do you need two? One should suffice," questioned Ravenna after some contemplation.

"I want to have a proper conversation with those hags," Sera responded firmly.

"Hmm, We have about eight sustenance rings, all in the possession of those crones. They keep five of them in use at all times. I can't persuade them to lend them to you for an extended period, but a few months should be manageable." Ravenna contemplated.

"Anything else?"

"For now, nothing," Sera replied, shaking her head.

"I'll arrange for someone to send you those rings when the time for the awakening ceremony arrives."

"When you wish to visit the matriarchs, just send me a letter. I will arrange an escort to accompany you for your protection and provide an excuse for you to leave your territory.”

“Alright”

"If you require anything else, just send a letter. I might be busy, so, I'll have one of your mothers manage things for you," Ravenna offered.

"Okay," Sera said, smiling gratefully.

They continued their discussion on various topics.

At some point, Vina, who was being pampered by her grandmother, fell asleep on her lap, leaning against Ravenna’s breasts. No matter what, Vina is still a child who has yet to develop an interest in and understanding of such matters.

So Lila and Aiden took Tia and Vina under their care, with Vina sleeping peacefully on Aiden’s lap while Tia nestled on Lila’s, who seemed to take satisfaction in hugging him. 

Tia attempted to observe and absorb as much information as possible from their conversation. However, gradually, Tia began to feel odd.

At first glance, Sera and Ravenna appeared deeply engrossed in conversation. However, Tia could discern that beneath their serious discussions, they are truly enjoying themselves. 

They delved into topics ranging from the important to trivial, exchanging ideas and making questionable schemes. They became so absorbed that they seemed to lose track of time and space, their surroundings fading into the background. Unbeknownst to them, subtle smiles began to grace their faces.

Aiden, Lila and Isolde sat silently with warm smiles as they observed the mother and daughter who reunited after a long time.

Meanwhile, Tia experienced a feeling he had never felt before. Gradually, He slowly forgot to listen to their conversation for information and absorbed himself in this unfamiliar sensation, trying to decipher its meaning. After some time, he realized what was causing his discomfort. Sitting on Lila's lap, Tia just observed Ravenna and Sera, who were enjoying each other's company like two friends.

Vina also woke up at some point as their discussions continued till dusk.

“Alright, kids, it's time for me to leave,” Ravenna said.

“Grandmother, can't you stay longer?” Vina asked, saddened.

"I want to, but I can't. I'll visit another time." Ravenna ruffled their hair affectionately.

Then everyone stood up.

“Mother, thank you,” Sera said gratefully.

“What are you thanking your mother for? Do you want a spanking?” Ravenna asked with mock seriousness.

“No need for that,” Sera replied, blushing slightly.

“Hahaha,” Ravenna chuckled as she kissed Sera on the lips as a goodbye.

Soon stepped outside the castle. 

The sun is already setting in the sky. Ravenna and her wives mounted their horses, ready to depart. 

Sera, Vina and Tia stood at the entrance, waving goodbye as countess Ravenna and her entourage rode away.

Tia turned to glance at Sera as she bid farewell to her mother.

‘Grandmother is quite similar to mother, or perhaps it's the other way around. Seems like mother learned a lot from her by emulating her. Maybe she even admires her to some extent.

‘It’s my first time seeing Sera act childish or relying on others. Being in front of grandmother seems to bring out her childish nature. Maybe she feels secure in her presence just like we do in Sera’s. 

‘I hope someday I can make vina and mother feel safe in my presence.’ Tia felt bitter knowing that he is currently too weak and helpless.

Being an orphan and despised by everyone around him in his previous life, Tia had never had anyone for whom he wished to be a source of strength.

Tia realized that he now truly cared for Sera and Vina, and watching Sera and Ravenna, he began to contemplate the type of bonds he wanted to form with them.


Copyright © [2024] [The Rainy Imp]. All rights reserved. 

No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, contact the publisher at [[email protected]].
6