13 I’m a Core!? Ch.8: Panic
253 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Shit, shit, shiiit!)

My arms were raised, not like it mattered. I was no longer considered harmless, whether as a hostage, a slave, or a dungeon monster. I'd somehow blown my chance. And I was already feeling heat build up in my body, making my cheeks flush and my skin develop a light layer of sweat.

(Mimissa, please help me!)

~~~~~

Mimissa was observing the situation. The death of the second Commander woman was not unwelcome since that meant more DP; she had realised her acid trap was overkill because they couldn't get DP from a corpse and their belongings if neither of those remained. No wonder Czara was horrified!

But now these invaders - well technically not all of them were invaders since some had not gone through the entryway yet but whatever - had Czara surrounded, their rifles aimed and ready to hurt her.

"Oh a tag change. 'Plan C'? I don't want to, but fine. If Czara gets turned into holey cheese she'll probably complain for days. She'd look very uncute too. "[List Search: Monster, Dolores.]"

The search function looped, then returned an error.

'No matching monster found.'

"What...? [List Search: Monster, Mimissa.]"

The search function made a second loop, then showed Mimissa's name in white, accompanied by several blinks.

(So it's not broken, there's just no entry?)

"[Menu], skip the search display, just be faster! [List Search: Monster, Malfissa]!"

The list jumped directly to the name, it was white and blinked. Her position indicated she was outside the dungeon.

"[Summon: Malfissa]!"

A magic circle appeared before Mimissa's screen, and a light wind picked up. She involuntarily moved back since the effect was downright ominous.

Before her stood a demonic woman. A tall, and very, very attractive demonic woman. Her very long, red hair and pink glowing eyes were accentuated by uncharacteristically tanned skin, while a pair of complexly spiralling horns sat on her head like a crown. Her wings, majestic black things that would make any bat go mad and die from envy, partially wrapped around her body while her long tail of a similar colour and material whipped around in a flurry, its end a mean-looking stinger.

The entire ensemble was ruined by the large pink sweater and plush in-door shoes she was wearing.

"You daaare summon me thiiis soon after the last time!? Was I not here but a few days ago too? You have NO sense of-" She looked at Mimissa, her anger completely forgotten in an instant. "...Mimissa? Why're you in the Dungeon Core room? No, wait, HOW are you in the Dungeon Core room!?"

Did she know? Did she not know? Mimissa needed to establish that first, or this would almost certainly backfire.

"Malfissa, you know me even though I only know your name. But that's not important right now, there's an emergency! The Dungeon needs your help!"

Malfissa's face contorted, unbelieving what could possibly be the problem.

"I fail to see how a nearly dead dungeon could have an emergency. Nobody but that little girl has been here in... in... well, a long time or whatever. The fact I'm still bound to it annoys me so make it quick, I'm missing my favourite radio show."

"Right, that 'little girl' is named Czara. She saved the Dungeon Core and, uh, also became the Dungeon Core-"

"SHE DID WHAT!?"

Powerful wind erupted from Malfissa, proof of how incredibly displeased she was at the news.

"C-Calm down! Look, Czara is now our core, and she needs help! Anastelle is out of it due to some cursed bayonet thing, and I'm not a fighter. Please, help her!"

"Ffffffffff- you do realise I was hoping the core would die so I could be free again? Besides, what does it matter? Are they next to the core and ready to blow it up?"

"N-No... Czara is at the entrance with enemies aiming rifles at her. Err, here."

Mimissa showed Malfissa the video feed. Czara's body was on the ground and being tied up. Her head was bleeding lightly; she had possibly been struck and lost consciousness.

"That sure is the girl. So she took a shortcut to Dungeon Avatar by keeping that body. *Whistle* The fuck, I didn't even know that's a thing. Ugh, fine, I'll rescue her. Mind if I slaughter all of those people?"

"No, don't. Please charm them so we can plan what to do next."

"Meh, sure. Oi, Anastelle, are you asleep?"

She was, so Malfissa stepped over to her.

"Oh Anastelle, sooo nice and defenceless for once. I really want to kick you a bit. But then I'll probably get told off. The laugh. A little girl inherits a whole-ass dungeon... Whatever, place me. We still have Bulky?"

"Y-Yes, I think I saw it."

"Place him and me close to the entrance. Now!"

Malfissa disappeared, leaving Mimissa and Anastelle alone again.

(This is all going wrong. I just wanted a friend.)

~~~~~

"Hi, Bulky. Did you miss me?"

"Grumguhuhuha."

"Good boy, good boy. Will you make mama happy today, too?"

The creature nodded quickly and repeatedly despite the shadow of the alcove making it almost impossible so see.

"Then let's go."

~~~~~

The soldiers were preparing to send the adjutant and two escorts by horse. Commander Anastasiya, now properly clothed and outfitted, had taken over but decided to stay with the troops. Or at least she wanted to, but everyone present insisted she should leave. If anyone could make it back, it would be the adjutant and her.

"Alright, before I spend too many words on a pointless speech, let me just say this: you all are fine soldiers. Hold the position until reinforcements arrive, then leave the dungeon to them!"

She was getting up on the horse, her left foot already over the saddle, when-

"Guurgggahuhuhuhaaa."

The strange sound was unlike anything anyone present had ever heard before. Commander Anastasiya got off the horse again in reflex. This would be her last mistake in this place as she spotted the monstrosity crawling out of the shadows.

The... thing was easily 5 metres tall, quite wide too, and dragged its misshapen body along the ground. Its crooked face full of oddly-angled teeth seemed to be smiling a demented smile, its tiny legs too small to allow it a proper walking gait.

"What... in Perun's name is that...?"

The body of the Bulk Petonator was covered in dozens of tentacle-like appendages ending in elven-like hands, all a faint pink-grey colour, which it whipped around in a flurry. Its gaze invoked confusion on anyone not strong-willed enough to resist it, making [Charm] skills all the more effective while the victims had their wits taken and resistances damaged.

"[Lilim Charm], you fools. [Lilim Charm], [Lilim Charm], and ohhh how about some more [Lilim Charm]!?"

The voice came from behind the Petonator, which came closer and true to its name randomly started petting people with its many appendages even as Malfissa appeared from the shadows.

"You, woman holding the reins, give me whatever papers you have for delivery."

"Yes, your highness!"

"A pleasing response."

All the soldiers had been completely [Charmed], any thoughts of disobedience purged from their minds. Anastasiya handed Malfissa the letter.

"Hand me the maid as well. You may spend some time with Bulky as a reward."

She scratched him under the chin. He shook in delight, like a severely-oversized dog. Czara's body was handed to her.

"Pffft. Why didn't that silly Mimic not just place you? Amateurs, losing their heads in a panic like chickens." She spoke louder. "Mimissa, you can hear me, I know. Get us in the room, it's cold as hell out here!"

~~~~~

"And that's what happened while you were unconscious."

I was being held by Mimissa, both of us with tears in our eyes. Malfissa looked away from what I assumed someone strong like her would consider just pathetic displays of affection.

"So uhm, I know you just got up, but what're we going to do now? We can still kill everyone for their DP, you know?"

"I don't know about that. But I do know I need to get stronger! I fucked up so badly from messing around and suddenly-"

Mimissa held a finger on my mouth.

"You're new to this, it's fine. Also, I promised I'll be your Co-Admin, so I'll do all I can to help."

"I- You- *Sigh* You're right, I'm being stupid. However, I think this position is no longer any good. We should try to run away and find more allies to-"

"Ahem."

We looked at Malfissa, who was seemingly getting really annoyed.

"You two really are like little children. 'Run away to find allies'? You must be crazy. Czara, you are a DUNGEON! Unless you move your core, which will leave you utterly defenceless, you cannot simply run away!"

We looked at each other. I then looked at Malfissa. The gears in my head were turning again.

"Run that by me again, please."

"What, that you are crazy? Because you are."

"No, the... you said the core can be moved?"

Malfissa crossed her arms. I wasn't sure if that meant she was calming down, or getting even more annoyed at us.

"Well obviously. Why do you think you can place it on a different Floor?"

"That's it! We'll find a different area and start over. This time as a dungeon that helps people!"

"Are you growing soft already?! A helpful-"

Malfissa felt the urge to facepalm, but stopped, realising something. This could be her opportunity.

"...You knooow, as much as it pains me, I guess I must agree. It would ceeertainly be better if you start over. Use what you have learned in a better position than this. A village exists beyond the lake. Stay in hiding for a month, then present yourself as a 'new' dungeon."

Mr. Imp came over and flexed his muscles.

"Mr. Imp, you'll carry the core?"

He nodded.

"Good for you, because I have no intention to do that. I will head home now and I expect you will not summon me for the rest of the year."

Her tone of voice was really starting to annoy me. Grind my gears, if I had any. Well, maybe I did. In any case, I realised something; was she not the one to lolify me in the first place? I smiled deviously.

"Before that. Say, Malfissa, aren't you the succubus famous for her hobby of turning women into little girls to toy with them?"

"I am a lilim, thank you very much. And it is not exactly a hobby of mine, but-"

Eyes closed, a smile on a my face, I started my revenge.

"Then as your Dungeon Core I command you to ensure our collective security for as long as it takes!"

"You- You little shiii-"

"Also, be silent."

"..."

The glare she gave rivalled the sun, but even though she seemed just about to start snarling and pouncing me in a very un-succubus- excuse me, un-lilim-like manner, she could not. Dungeon monsters in range of the dungeon's mana field have to obey their dungeon unconditionally, contract or spawn. But admittedly I would not do such a thing to Mr. Imp or Anastelle... and certainly not to Mimissa.

"Alright, Malfissa, for the sake of advice and advice only you may speak. How do we best go about this relocation?"

"Well, Ms. Little Shit, for starters we..."

20