Seal The Deal
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Cartography Class was hard. Only very few of us can keep up with the bombs of information and trivia. There are so many unique techniques of measurement that Vasco taught us, half of it was completely unheard of even for a book flea like me. Where did he learn all of them? Why aren't they recorded in the public libraries?

Now that I take a look at everyone, I guess we are all exhausted, drained of our brain juice. Some are just staring at the ceiling, some drop their heads on the table, and some are still busy catching up with the study materials even though the class is over. Damn it, school is just amazing, isn't it? Such a big world, but only so little is known.

"Heya! How'd you do, Zama?"

Someone tapped my shoulder as I was about to leave the class to sharpen my pencil on the park bench. I turned my head, and I found Vasco grinning at me.

"Senior Vasco?"

"Just Vasco, my friend. Just Vasco."

"Ah, okay. What can I do for you, Vasco?"

He lightly patted my shoulder and started to walk beside me. I wonder if there's something wrong with me. Wait, more importantly, did I smell bad? Ah, I hope he won't notice that I put no perfume whatsoever on myself.

"You see, Zama. I'm an adventurer at heart."

"Yes. You make it clear enough during the class."

"I guess I did, eh? Hahah. Well, that speeds up things for me. Now, tell me, Zam, do you know about logbooks?"

"Logbooks . . . the kind of daily journal that captains made on their voyage?"

"Great!"

Without me realizing it, he already led me to the place I wanted to go. We are now sitting on the park bench side by side. After he let out a big breath of relief, he took out a bundle of paper from his robe. He hands it to me, wanting me to read it thoroughly. I cast my pencil business aside and took a look at what he wanted to show me.

.

.

.

Ten minutes later, I am beyond surprised. What he showed me could be so priceless that people will undoubtedly kill for it.

"These are some highly valuable documents."

"Highly valuable? Hahahah. I'm so sorry, but that is a severe understatement. You wouldn't believe what I had to do to get my hands on that."

"Only if we presume that the information contained is real."

"Come on, Zama! We are talking about one of the greatest treasures, even more than those labyrinths! It's the sighting of the second Minaret of Origin! It's our part to find whether it's real or not!"

Minaret of Origin is a building so mysterious that contains a vast collection of knowledge. The first Minaret of Origin is located in Zarim, it's said that thanks to the knowledge that the Minaret beholds, the first wave of exiles and outcasts of humans and demihumans that venture to those lands can survive in the environment, and even thrive as one of the biggest economic powers in the world. Zarimans - the people of Zarim refer to the ancient complex of buildings as The Golden Canopy. They considered it sacred beyond anything else, and guard the place more than their own family.

At present, the first university in the world - Syams Ardhabia takes care of the heritage site and maintains full authority over it as the center of science. Even today, careful excavations are carried out to unearth every single relict and books to decipher.

"Alright, alright. It's not that I don't share your enthusiasm. I'm just a little skeptical since this is too good to be true."

"Hmph. As long as you understand the significance."

"So? Why are you showing me this?"

"Because I need to go to The Archipelago for the next clue."

Ah . . . so that's how it is. I think I know what he wants.

"And you want me to introduce you to Master Kinan."

Vasco claps his hands and smiles at me. I don't know what he expects from a 13-year-old girl, but I think I can turn this into something of a good profit. Let's play the cards right.

"Let me tell you this, Vasco. I respect you, but I myself, have only met Master Kinan once. I don't think it's wise to try anything this early. There are steps to take to get on her good side. I trust you understand this better than I do."

My words seemed to get through him. Vasco takes off his grey ivy cap and spins it on his finger, thinking.

"That's true. We need a careful approach. You got any idea?"

"Gifts economy works wonder, Vasco. Especially to a kid like her."

"Hm. Interesting take. What does she like? Good dress? Refined shoes?"

"I can look into that."

"Will you?! That's amazing!"

"But unfortunately, capital has never been my strong suit for an indigent scholarship grantee like me. So maybe it will take a long time before we can make any meaningful progress."

Seemingly catching up to my intent, Vasco nodded in a reserved manner. Then, he took a coin pouch from his satchel and threw it into my hands.

"Here, take whatever is in there as a starter. I'm willing to keep it coming as long as you provide results."

I peek inside the coin pouch. I guess there are roughly about ten thousand Ausvin inside. I spontaneously smirked uncontrollably. Then, I realized I might have just made it sour with Vasco.

"Uh, are you okay with this, Vasco?"

"Heh. Don't underestimate me, Junior. You know how it works, and it put me at ease. Everything is more simple and predictable with price tags. Don't be disinclined and use it as you see fit."

Vasco stood up, and so did I. He offered me a handshake, and I accepted it with pleasure. I'm glad he is a reasonable man. With this, it's safe to say that we agreed to terms, though no contract was made. All that tied us both is just pure trust and goodwill.

"I'll be sending you letters, and we should meet up monthly, if possible. Depending on what details you have, the next pouch you have could be heavier or lighter. Find out what you know about her, and if possible - her homeland."

"You can count on me, Vasco."

With the deal in the bag, now at least I can be a little less choked by my budget. Thanks, Vasco, you are a great guy.

1