Chapter 27 – Children’s Expedition (1)
180 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Proofreader: Myself (A short-ish chapter, longer ones coming soon? I'm behind on schedule... but next chapter is more than 1800 words :> )

??? POV

Residing within the basement, were two figures, one on the ground and the other sitting on a tattered chair. 

The one in a higher position inquired, “Well, how was the operation?”

The kneeling one trembled, “Boss! Th- the connection with our experiment has been cut off!”

“That quickly?” He rubbed his chin, “Tell me, do you know the culprits?”

Huhu. It only makes sense that it was Abel, and it seems they’ve caught our bait perfectly.’ He laughed lightly, expecting such an answer.

“Two children!”

‘Huh-‘ “Huh.” Both thought and speech of the once-composed figure escaped at once. 

“Explain yourself!” His face although covered with robes, was steaming.

“We d- don’t know…” The one in servitude lowered his head even further, prostrating to an unseen extent. “We beg for your forgiveness!”

‘Children…? Then it must be ones from the so-called Platinum Generation…’

“Tsk.”

Hiiieeekk!” The one on his knees trembled in fear.

“No matter, we will continue with our plans,” He regained his cool, but a soothing rage within had remained.

Y-yes of course!” He saluted, “To the era of a new hell! All hail the Demon God Raon!”

At once, they had both disappeared, vanishing into dust. 

Crash!

As if silence had not filled the room, child and adult figures collapsed on the peeling floor.

Bleh-“ A child’s tongue got caught on the remains. “Ptui. We were a bit too late it seems, ah well… at least we know that those demon fanatics are active again.”

“Yes, Abel.” The adult confirmed his belief, “We will be on high alert from tomorrow onwards. I’ll bring on all security staff.”

“Don’t do that,” The child smirked mischievously. “The children need some ‘motivation’ to get a head start!”

“But… the children are…” 

“It’s fine, I’ll be there to stop any deaths.”

The adult hesitated momentarily, but gave in regardless, “Un- understood.”

‘I just hope Luke doesn’t get into trouble… I’ve already troubled him with the Fairy Queen, and lack of help from Abel’s desire.’

-x-

Luke POV

“Ow- Ow- Ow.” 

My arm was being poked from all sides. Apparently I had been asleep for half a day, and I believed that with how much my body reacted to stimuli.

“Why is this commoner always getting hurt?” Julia had a hostile glint in her blue eyes. “Ever since the first day I met you… you’ve only been pushing yourself.”

I’ve had no choice but to do so… not like I could say that.

“I have to do my best as a commoner," I brushed it off. "We aren’t too well off, you know.”

“Mmm… Then… ” She pondered for a moment, “h- how about you become my vassal?

EH?!” A blonde patient who had been listening in, revealed themself.

“…?”

I didn’t expect such responses. First, a noble’s offer, and two, a priest’s eavesdropping. 

“Uriel, you’re awake?” Julia flicked back her ponytails regaining her composure. “You should have said so sooner.”

“N- no I- uhh… was woken by the noise!” She raised her finger high as if she made a genius point.

“Hmmm…” Both me and Julia were finding it hard to buy that.

“In any case, commoner. If you wish, give me your answer any time…” She blushed momentarily before adding one last thing, “It wouldn’t be good for me to see you hurt again.”

My heart was filled to the brim with that whisper, but I couldn’t lose my rationality here. I had to bite back.

Yeah- since we’re friends right?” I smirked, telling her softly.

MMMMM!” She practically sprinted out the door.

“Is she okay?” Uriel innocently asked, lying under her sheets somewhat scared. 

Somehow her bust was still visible… Not the time for this.

Ahem,” I coughed. “She should be.”

She accepted my answer, before calling my name, “Hey Luke…”

“Hmm?”

“Why were there no professors besides Clarisse?” It was a bombshell of a question.

“…”

“I- is there a problem?” She stuttered detecting my unease.

Should I tell her? Probably not.

Considering Abel’s personality and way of doing things, it was guaranteed that he forbade any action from being taken. It was likely he had ordered both Haruto and Riel, the head nurse, to be on standby. 

Fucking sadist,” I mumbled frustratedly.

Uriel peered closer at my face, “Did you say something?”

“No, nothing. It was likely that the teachers were unaware, and Abel was on the way.”

“Is that so…?” She contemplated for a moment, “Well, it does make sense.”

Thank goodness she wasn’t as bright as her looks.

Slam!

“Yo, Luke! How you doing?” With a smirk on his face, Fen busted through the infirmary door. 

“I’m fine now, as you can see." I lied through my teeth. Pain seared across my body as I used enhancement on my body's regenerative capabilities.

“Yup, and has Serina made her way here yet?” He asked such a question as if it was nothing.

“Why would?-“ The violet barrier flashed past my mind.

“Truth is, she was the one who took both you and Uriel to the nurse.”

“Eh!” “Seriously?” Uriel and I expressed the same reaction — surprise.

“I’ll take that as a no,” He shrugged. “It’s fine, just say thanks later. And uhh… get ready for the Dungeon Expedition tomorrow.”

I sighed but replied regardless, “Yeah- I’ll be sure to do that.”

“Of course!” Uriel wholeheartedly expressed her intentions.

We were on two opposite sides of the spectrum.

“Anyways, I gotta get going. Charles told me to be quick,” He waved leaving the both of us alone. "He also ordered me to tell you that he prepared something for you."

Did I ever do something to help him out?

"Luke?" Uriel called my name, seeing me space out.

"Ah yes, Luke to Earth," I joked. "What was it?"

Losing track of my thoughts, I engaged in small talk with the saintess.

-x-

After chatting for a while, Riel eventually discharged the both of us.

“We apologise for not being there,” She elegantly bowed. “Expect to receive a reward for preventing a terrorist attack of the Demon Uprising at the very least.”

It was a pretence for the fact that they weren’t allowed to do anything. If I were to describe it, imagine Hell… the desire to burn anything and everything, inside a person’s intention to teach. That was Abel, the greatest sadist in the world. The worst part was, he would only present such trials with those he gained an interest in.

Meaning, this won’t be the only time with no support. Although, he wouldn’t give us anything impossible… surely.

“I’ll see you tomorrow!” Uriel waved goodbye excitedly jumping, catching my eyes on a bouncy net.

Y-yeah, goodbye,” I waved back, walking toward my dorm.

Nothing was explained to me, so I was still unsure of what happened after I passed out. 

Tap, tap.

I had an extremely bad feeling… 

“Wh- who is it!?” 

“Your supposed demon tutor,” It was a familiar and hellish voice.

Fuck.

“Wait! I just woke up after my duel with a demonic version of Carlos!”

“Sure,” She wouldn’t listen, no… she’s refusing to listen.

Training after almost dying- 

When did I ever say she was my favourite character?!

11