Chapter 4: Lab Rat
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Through the dirty glass that was all around me, I could make out a faint light shining from the opening door, its creaking soft yet ominous. My thoughts formed slowly as I wondered how long it had been since I had seen the sun. I couldn't even remember when I had ended up in this dark room.

I tried to move my limbs, yet they refused to listen, as if disconnected from my brain's command. My vision darkened as a black silhouette stood before the opened door, casting its shadow over me. The figure lit a gas lamp, weak flames waning in it, lending spare illumination to the small chamber.

In a blink the figure loomed over me and I could barely glance upon her face. I fought the urge to throw up as memories surged back into me. My pupils dilated in shock. That pale face. The indifferent look in those grey eyes, it was her!

She studied me and sneered, a sound full of disdain. "You're the reason hundreds died. Vile bottom feeder!" Tears began streaming down my face as I recalled the bloodbath. All that death, the ghostly screams for help as I stood there in the midst of the massacre. An overwhelming cacophony of sounds assaulted my mind as I recalled it all in horrific detail. Sighing, she spoke “Crying because you got caught, you lot seem to love doing that”. The demon in human skin hoisted my glass coffin out of the shelf it was in and carried me over to a large metal table, placing me on it.

I saw her turning around and fumbling with something she had gotten out of her peculiar lab coat. I used that short time frame to look around the room and noticed more glass containers, all seemingly empty. I turned my head to check the other side, freezing as I did so. “I'm fucked” this thought bore into my mind as I stared at dozens of deformed bodies shoved into those transparent boxes. “Sorry to keep you waiting sunshine”, I winced at the mad expression. “You wound me with that scared look of yours” green flames shooting out her eyes gave her morbid grin a terrifying effect as I could feel my heart pumping, the fear I was feeling almost tangible.

In one quick stride she stood over me and reached for the glass with her delicate glove-clad hand. The sizzling sound of melting glass penetrated my ears and I frowned at the heat puckering my skin. I narrowed my eyes to minimize the pain, all to late as I saw the fingers reaching for my face. I cried out in agony. My head throbbed and I could no longer see light, the smell of burnt hair the only thing left.

"Now, it's more fun if you can't see what's happening. It makes you more sensitive." Her voice carried a fanatical tone and it dawned on me into whose hands I had fallen.
"Fleshweaver" I stuttered the word out of my dry throat as I remembered the horror tale my parents used to tell me whenever I got caught up in unsavory business.

I heard an annoyed exhale. "That's what you people call me, but I'm no weaver, I'm an artist. If I ever find out what imbecile came up with that insult of my work." she cut her rant short and I heard the sound of a cork being pulled out. My breaths started to draw short. The air in this godforsaken dungeon was asphyxiating. There was no doubt anymore. "I'm going to die here" as this thought struck me I was hyperventilating gasping for air and cold sweet beads were running down my back. My movements became rigid and fear overwhelmed me. Suddenly something hit my head and I lost consciousness.

I awoke to the feeling of my skin slowly being nibbled away, the sensation quickly spreading throughout my insides as the world seemed to be encompassed by it. I saw that demon again, I could see again! She leaned over me, holding a jar pressed against my stomach, then my lower body started to cramp. Heat spread through my body. Suddenly my insides were shredded like a mushed feast. My face or what must be left of it contorted into a tormented grimace. The stress my body went through rendered me incapable of movement!

My conscious was waning and I just wished to lose it, to be freed from this torture. Just as my brain began to shut off, another bright flash invaded my vision and adrenaline sparked.

I screamed in agony as green shine accentuated a ghastly countenance donning a sickening smile, eyes glistering. My salvation eluded me, I was now fully awake again! I could hear a buzzing coming from within me and saw my skin vibrating. Squelching sounds resonated in my eardrums and I saw wasps writhing themselves out of my body were they exploded, spraying their remains over the grotesque fleshy mush.

From one moment to another the pain subsided and I was left with an indifferent feeling.
"Why does this always have to happen when it starts to get fun" I heard her complain and turned my head just in time to see a fist accelerating towards me.

"You haven't nearly atoned yet, how can you go numb on me" the demon spat out, voice full of anger.

I heard cracking, "My nose must have broken" I reasoned and looked to where my nose would be, to find it wasn’t there anymore. It had been caved into my skull. Surprisingly I didn't feel anything at this observation. The blood-specked fist drove towards me again and again. I wasn't able to count the punches as I got knocked out and awoken repeatedly. Occasionally I could hear insults being thrown at me. Another loud crack and my cranium gave in. I apathetically gazed at the figure standing above. The last thing I saw were those neon green lights exiting her eyes.

Blur:

Blur watched as the life disappeared from her captive's eyes, still furious and barely stopping herself from hitting the mutilated corpse.

"How could he already have reached his limit?" in her anger she shouted into the now quiet chamber, but quickly answered her own question internally.

"I forgot to alter his brain with Visage-Swap, because I was busy with the cursed Tias." Hers alone, Visage-Swap allows her to change her body and that of others through precise heat bursts.

Knowing that it was her mistake, she frowned at the phial in her pocket and began her clean-up work. After what she had done to him there was no use to preserving the body.

Once again she cursed that damn aspect of hers for not erasing this eyesore. Having thrown everything into a body bag, she heaved it up and carried it to the crematorium, in the back of the room.

As she opened the steel chamber, she wondered if that idiotic student of hers had fallen asleep yet. "That wimp probably has issues falling asleep after today" she mused. She threw the bag into the aperture, closed it and turned the heat up.

Having to wait for the cremation anyway, she eased onto a stool and clasped her hands together, thinking back to where her Tias dependency had started.

She could remember vividly how she had dashed towards that corrupted bastard, blade tightly in her hand. Caught up in her bloodlust she hadn't seen the canister. Back then the concoction splashed all over her face while she sunk her blade up to its hilt into the throat of that bitch.

Sighing she took the phial out again, popped the cork sealing it out, tilted her head back, and dripped a drop of the shimmering substance onto each of her irises. She blinked a few times to spread the fluid out evenly and chuckled self-deprecatingly. Having the fortune to survive the poison attack, she now ended up dependent on that very poison. She was unsure if her aspect-amplified adaptability was a blessing or a curse, but being an addict was certainly better than being dead.

Her tear glands finally didn't ache anymore, the comforting warmth caressing them in constant intervals. Expression easing, she was able to collect herself again and remembered that she still needed to prepare the information papers for Mimicry's upcoming training.

"What do I not do for this inexperienced student of mine?" she thought to herself while going to retrieve the charred remains. Throwing them into a metal bin in a corner of the room, she swiftly made her way out.

Reaching her study, she started to compile the list of abilities Mimicry would be learning in the upcoming days. Going through countless scripts and books in the process, she narrowed her selection down to two abilities which she deemed most important for the mission, which her student had to complete in three days.

The time limit greatly hindered the choices, since she had to consider, if he could learn them in the given timeframe. Even so she believed that he would be fine. He had her as his mentor after all. Finishing up the list and the descriptions, she scanned the finished amalgamation of data.

Satisfied with her work she threw a look to the small window of her study and saw the glistering stars adorning the night sky. Reluctantly she left the warmth of her comfortable recliner, still having to check on some of her suppliers.

She exited the AOs hideout through a hidden backdoor and entered the busy black market district of Stean, not bothering to don a disguise since the police were too scared to enter this part of town anyways and none of the thugs posed a threat to her.

The streets, too narrow for carriages excluding some major ones, were sparsely illuminated by rundown gas lamps.

A commotion seemed to transpire in one of the truss construction style three-story houses, standing on both sides of the street. Blur tried to sneak a look, but couldn't make out what was happening in the building due to the blinds being drawn.

She decided to not give it anymore of her attention, forcing herself to drag her gaze away from the incident. She had seen many similar scenes in her years of operating in Stean and instead of intervening she opted to merely keep a mental note of the address.

Having returned to walking in the direction of her supplier, she passed many figures. The ones recognizing her quickly scurried to move out of the way. But not everyone was that smart and a drunk figure crashed into Blur's side.

Despite his opulent stature, she didn’t budge, instead reaching for his throat and weaving his air pipe shut in one quick motion. She strode past him, long black hair lending her a creepy air as the drunkard desperately gasped for breath behind her. Unable to even scream for help, he collapsed, tears in the corners of his eyes.

Shortly after, Blur entered a small shop in a secluded alley, the ringing of a bell accompanying her arrival.

“Haven’t seen you here in a while.” Basto greeted and looked at her, his voice carrying a questioning tone.

Blur cut straight to the point. “You have my goods? I’m kinda in a hurry.”

“Actually I was able to acquire all the materials on your list” he reached under the counter and procured a wooden box. As Blur was one of his regular customers, he was happy to do business with her, at the same time snatching a deal away from Trave, his rival shopkeeper two blocks away, from which she would have normally bought a part of the goods, which he wasn't able to provide before.

“That makes my day easier. Send it to Café Cyan” she finished up the transaction and left the shop with decisive strides, hair flowing behind her.

Making her way to Café Cyan, she passed a bakery and decided to buy a cup of coffee since her eyelids grew heavier by the second. The hot liquid jolted her back awake and she realized her mistake, inwardly criticizing her impulsive acting. She could have gotten an espresso of far better quality at Café Cyan for free! "Whatever, still does its job." she shrugged and downed the coffee in one clean swoop.

Although the aspect allowed her to fully function on two hours of sleep, she still occasionally felt sleepy when wandering around at night, hence her inclination towards coffee.

She arrived at her destination shortly, thanks to her rapid pace and entered the unremarkable establishment, nestled between two rather large warehouses.

The lone waiter at the counter noticed her arrival as he looked up from his book. "Your package is in the basement." He informed her and returned to his book, engrossed by whatever it contained.

She walked past him, to the back of he café and went down the stone stairs. In the damp cellar she opened the package and stashed its contents into the pockets of her lab coat. Promptly exiting the nearly empty café, she returned to her quarters in the AOs hideout.

Letting herself fall into the soft recliner situated in her study, she quickly fell asleep, a dreamless sleep.

Rays of blue light awoke her after what felt like nothing more than a blink and she stared at the ceiling for long minutes. Gathering her spirit , Blur jumped to her feet, ready to arrange breakfast for herself and Mimicry.

On the way to the hideout's kitchen, she saw the rising sun and stopped to witness its ascent. Suddenly she started to pray, clasping her hands together in reverence, "Praise be to you Terex, our lifeline and benefactor. We who live in the shadows, extend our devotion as you shine bright once again."

0