7 The Dromastus Throws a Normal Birthday Party
287 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The halls of our castle echo with the joyous cries of newborns. My wife, radiant and weary from the birthing, cradles our son in her arms. "What shall we name him? Gandalf sounds right, but Merlin has a unique charm too…" she asks, eyes bright with anticipation.

"Mia, my love, he shall be Merlin," I declare, remembering the tales of magic and valor I once shared with her. "A name befitting a powerful soul."

Her brow furrows slightly. "But what of Gandalf? It holds its own charm," she muses.

"Gandalf? Sounds like the rumblings of an old sage," I chuckle. "Merlin it shall be."

With a nod, she agrees, and Merlin Eirling Dromastus enters the world with a name that echoes through the ages. The word 'Eirling' apparently means 'noblest of all, and heir to great blood' which sounds quite grand as expected of my ex-princess of a wife.

But then comes the task of naming our daughter.

I look upon our little girl, swaddled snugly, and announce proudly, "Arthur."

My wife's surprise is evident. "Arthur? But that's a name for a boy, darling."

"A name is a name," I reply with a shrug. "Besides, I know of a 2d 'girl' named Arthur from distant lands."

She exchanges a glance with Fred, my trusted officer, who joins her in protest. "It's not quite right, sire," he ventures. I don't know since when Fred is inside the room, since I expressly told him to stay outside… or did I? Nah, small details…

"Then Morgan le Fay it shall be," I decree, met with approving nods. "Morgan le Fay Dromastus." I don't really know what le Fay means except it is a name that has to be jointly put together with Morgan.

"Le Fay means 'the Fairy,'" my wife explains patiently.

I am like… sure, of course… I don't really pay attention to small details. After all, I am just a normal guy!

"Ah, yes, of course," I reply, pretending to understand. "Details aren't my forte, you know. Just a normal fellow, I am!" I grin while I baby my little Morgan in my arms.

Some days come to a pass.

The nursery is a battlefield of baby giggles and coos. My wife and I navigate this delicate terrain, each vying for the affection of our twin bundles of joy.

"Look how Merlin gazes at me," Mia smirks, cradling our son. "He'll surely follow in my footsteps, a ruler with a regal heart."

I glance at Morgan le Fay in my arms. "Our daughter, on the other hand, clearly appreciates her father's wit and charm."

We exchange these barbed quips, carefully choosing our words to shield the innocence of our infants. The tension in the air is palpable, the unspoken battle for their loyalty simmering beneath the surface.

One evening, as I hum a lullaby to Morgan, Fred enters the room with a mischievous grin. "Word has it that the Baron and Baroness are waging a war of love for the twins. The entire barony is buzzing about it!"

I shoot him a wary look. "War of love?"

Fred nods. "People are saying you two are the most doting parents ever seen in these lands."

I scoff, trying to maintain my composure. "Doting parents? Ridiculous." I might as well add, this is the countryside, what 'these lands' are you talking about! Though I rather not, since that might hurt the growing confidence of Fred here about his status being my closest confidant.

Fred chuckles. "Well, they do say that the way to a child's heart is through their stomach. Perhaps you're both spoiling them a bit much."

And where does this saying even come from? I feel like it sounds wrong.

My wife smirks at me across the room, clearly reveling in the rumors spreading like wildfire. I shake my head, determined to outdo her in this silent competition for our children's affection. This is my preparation, and my strategy for the future.

Fred teases me as he leaves, "Who would have thought the lord and lady are such perfect couples?"

Oh, if only Fred knows…

As the door closes, I look down at Morgan, my secret ally. "Don't worry, my dear. This is all for the sake of a normal life. One where you and your brother will choose me when the time comes."

I know my wife has some sinister plan to use the children as weapons of war to achieve her ambitions to take the throne back. That's why I have to outdo her in showing affection to the children. This is my preparation so that when divorce does finally come, the children will choose me! This is for the sake of my normal life! I shall get custody of my children!

Some days come to a pass… again.

The grand hall is abuzz with the business of governance, and Mia, the cunning puppet master, has successfully shifted the weight of ruling our territory onto my shoulders. It gives her more time with the children, and I can't help but feel the sting of her sly maneuvering.

"Fred, this is insufferable," I mutter, pacing the room. "She's using the children as pawns in her bid to steal their affections."

Fred, ever loyal, stands by my side. "Sire, you're an honorable father, dedicating yourself to the welfare of your children. It's truly commendable."

I glance at him, suppressing a smirk. "Honorable father? Fred, you do realize she's scheming, right?"

He nods earnestly. "Of course, sire, but your commitment to your children is truly remarkable. The people see it, and they admire you for it."

I raise an eyebrow, amused by his misconception. "Honorable father it is then, in the eyes of the people."

Fred pats me on the back. "Indeed, sire. Your dedication to the little ones will surely secure their love."

I nod, still mulling over the absurdity of the situation. As a 'normal' baron, it seems that I've unwittingly stumbled into the role of an honorable father. I let Fred continue to believe what he wants; after all, in this complex game of power and affection, a little misunderstanding might work in my favor… or not.

And here I just want to be normal… I fear for my children and my wife's schemes.

Some days come to a pass… again… WITH MORE WORK!

The courtroom is tense as I preside over the trial of the scheming merchant who dared to exploit my people. "You stand accused of undermining the economic stability of this territory," I declare, eyes narrowing at the scammer.

He feigns innocence, a poorly constructed mask that fails to fool anyone. "Your Grace, I merely sought to make wise investments."

I slam my fist on the table. "Wise investments? Buying land without proper channels is an affront to the very fabric of our society! Do you think you can take advantage of my people?"

The scammer stammers, realizing the severity of his predicament.

"For your crimes, you shall endure the punishment of the goat licking," I announce, my tone unyielding. "For two hours, you shall feel the sting of justice on your foot."

Gasps ripple through the courtroom as the severity of the punishment sinks in. I continue, "Furthermore, your ill-gotten property is confiscated, and half your family shall serve as slaves to repay the damage you've caused."

The scammer pleads for mercy, but I turn a deaf ear. In the world of nobles, where power and justice go hand in hand, this punishment is, in my eyes, a 'normal' consequence for those who seek to harm my people and disrupt the order of my territory.

I think, the punishment I have given is a pretty 'normal' punishment in this kind of world.

To make my work easier, and faster, I have gone as far as visiting the militia jail myself!

The air in the militia jail is thick with anticipation as I pass judgment on the wrongdoers confined within its damp walls. The accused, a motley crew of pickpockets, adulterers, a sheep thief, and a murderer, stand before me, their fates hanging in the balance.

"Guilty," I declare with unwavering authority, eyes scanning the array of faces before me. "Guilty as charged." I secretly use magic to detect and scan their minds of their innocence.

The punishments are swift and decisive, each tailored to the nature of their crimes. Floggings for the pickpockets, public shaming for the adulterers, a stint in the stocks for the sheep thief, and the hangman's noose for the murderer.

In this world, the lord's discretion reigns supreme when it comes to meting out justice, and I, the lord, wield that power with a certain grim satisfaction. It may be a backward world, but I find myself adapting to its peculiarities.

With the judgments delivered, I leave the grim atmosphere of the jailhouse behind and make my way to the room dedicated to my twins. The joyous laughter of Merlin and Morgan greets me, and their faces light up as they see their father.

I scoop them up in my arms, reveling in the warmth of their embrace. "Ah, my little ones, you've missed me, haven't you?"

Mia, watching from the sidelines, eyes me with a hint of jealousy. The twins seem to have grown tired of her face, and I can't help but feel a twinge of satisfaction. Sucks to be her, I think, relishing in the simple pleasures of fatherhood in this backward yet oddly fascinating world.

The twins sound asleep in their cribs. I make my way to our bed, expecting a quiet night after the chaos of the day. Mia, however, has other plans. As I enter, she looks at me with a playful glint in her eyes.

"Feeling a bit adventurous tonight, are we?" she purrs, her voice dripping with seduction.

I chuckle nervously, "Mia, the babies just fell asleep."

She smirks, crawling towards me on the bed. "Well, they won't wake up, will they?"

She challenges me with flirty lines, her lips provocatively puckering as she gets closer, rubbing her legs against mine. I can feel the temperature rising in the room.

"You can resist, can't you?" she teases, her eyes filled with mischief.

I hesitate, torn between the desire to maintain the normalcy of the situation and the allure of my wife's advances. "Well, I suppose..."

Before I can finish, she silences me with a lingering kiss. The night takes a turn, passion igniting as we succumb to the desires that had been simmering beneath the surface.

The mansion soon resonates with the sounds of our intimacy, the humping, moaning, and pleasure-seeking echoing through the halls. In the midst of it all, I can't help but wonder if this is what a 'normal' husband and wife do regularly. Regardless, the night unfolds in an erotic dance of love, reminding us that even in the midst of our responsibilities, there's always room for the flame of desire to burn brightly… Or maybe my wife is scheming something else.

The sun is high in the sky when I wake up, and the hushed whispers of the servants float through the air like an inadvertent melody. Curiosity tugs at me, urging me to eavesdrop on the gossip that swirls in my wake.

"...heard the lady baroness was quite vocal last night..."

"...says the lord is quite a performer..."

I can't help but smirk at the exaggerations that have already spread through the household and, undoubtedly, beyond its walls. But there's something more pressing at hand—the two maids currently struggling to change the bedsheets beneath me, unaware that I'm already awake.

I lay still, pretending to be asleep, listening to their hushed giggles and gossip as they work. One says, "Do you think the lord heard?"

The other responds, "Nah, he's still fast asleep. Probably had quite the night."

They continue their banter, oblivious to my awareness. Finally, with a mischievous glint in my eye, I decide to let them in on my consciousness. "Hello, ladies."

The two maids startle, their faces turning crimson. In a flurry, they attempt to arrange the bedsheet, clearly having been tugging at it for a while, careful not to wake me.

"Good morning, my lord," one stammers, avoiding eye contact.

As they scurry away, I chuckle to myself, realizing that my wife's schemes go beyond the bedroom. The vixen knows some tricks to tire me out through love-making. The thought amuses me, and yet, a twinge of jealousy surfaces.

Glancing at the clock, I notice it's already noon. Mia has surely spent more time playing with the children than I will ever manage today. A pang of jealousy settles in my chest, a reminder that even in the midst of love making, there are games being played, and I am not always the one in control.

Draped in the proper attire befitting a baron, I stride into my office, ready to face the day's duties. Fred, my ever-present officer, is quick to catch my attention.

"My lord," he begins, "I thought it prudent to remind you that your birthday approaches. The Month of End, 32nd day."

I raise an eyebrow, the coincidence striking a chord within me. The same as Randel Eir Dromastus's birthday, the former occupant of this body? Welp, ain't that one awesome coincidence. "Really? I never thought I will get to be reminded of my own birthday, huh?

Fred nods, a knowing look in his eyes. "Indeed, my lord."

I sigh, the memories of a decade-long seclusion in the Tower of Mirage flooding my mind. Loneliness had been my only companion as I tried to escape the plot of the novel that governed this world. But now, I am free from the shackles of that narrative… hopefully.

"Ten years of lonely birthdays, trying to avoid the inevitable," I mutter to myself.

Fred, hearing my murmurs, offers a reassuring smile. "I don't know your story exactly, my lord, but it seems you had quite an adventure before you have rightfully returned here in your territory."

It seems that Fred is misunderstanding again. Adventure? No! Hiding? Big yes!

The notion of a 'normal' birthday party feels surreal after the years of isolation. A sense of anticipation stirs within me, a realization that, as a baron and lord of a territory, I can finally embrace the joy of celebration without the weight of a preordained destiny. The Month of End, 32nd day—a date that once marked the loneliness of a solitary tower now beckons the promise of merriment!

.....

....

...

..

.

In the softly lit playroom, I find my wife surrounded by our giggling twins, a sea of toys scattered around them like colorful confetti. The air is filled with the sweet laughter of innocence. I approach with a smile, my heart warmed by the sight. As I bend down to greet my little ones, I can't help but marvel at the joy they bring to our lives.

With a playful tone, I ask my wife, "Hey love, do you realize our birthdays are just around the corner? The 32nd day of Month End for me and the 1st day of Month An for you. Back to back celebrations."

I rub my hands with a smile like some shifty merchant, "So what do you think about cakes, balloons, and clowns?"

She looks up from the pile of toys, her eyes sparkling with affection for our children. "I was just thinking about that," she says, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "But you know, birthdays for a baron are a bit different here. It's not all about balloons, cakes, and clowns."

My excitement deflates like a balloon losing air. "What do you mean? I thought a celebration was a celebration."

She chuckles, "Oh, my dear baron, your past life's idea of a 'normal' birthday doesn't quite fit in our world. We need something grander, more befitting of our status."

I'm a bit puzzled, "Grand, how?" I mean, I know what she means, but there is this small part of me that just wants to set loose!

She rises, gracefully picking up one of our twins. "Think more along the lines of a regal feast, a gathering of nobles, music, and elegance. I am an imperial princess once; I should know better."

I nod, realizing my perception needs some adjusting. "Right, no clowns then?"

She laughs, "Definitely no clowns. Let's make it a celebration worthy of a baron and baroness. Something that befits your title."

I sit with my wife in the cozy study, contemplating the impending birthdays. "Love," she says, her gaze thoughtful, "you should be inviting the neighboring nobles. A grand celebration with the aristocracy."

I frown, realizing the practical challenges. "But there's only a week left, and even if I send invitations now, it'll take them ages to reach our remote territory. No noble would want to journey this far for a modest celebration."

The weight of potential loneliness settles in, memories of a decade in seclusion haunting me like ghostly echoes from the Tower of Mirage. "I don't want no one attending our birthdays," I admit, a hint of regret coloring my words.

She places a comforting hand on mine, her eyes reflecting understanding.

"Perhaps," I suggest, "we should just invite the people from our own territory. The Dromastus Territory has twelve satellite villages and the city. It might not be a grand affair, but at least it won't be an empty one."

My wife's eyes light up with a spark of inspiration. "What about a Generous Banquet? A feast that welcomes everyone, regardless of their status."

I smile, impressed by her quick thinking. "A Generous Banquet it is, then. As expected of a former princess, always thinking of ways to include everyone."

With that decision, the worry about an empty celebration dissipates. The prospect of a shared feast with the people of our territory brings a renewed sense of excitement to the upcoming birthdays. Yep, I must make this a tradition!

In the bustling courtyard of Dromas Barony, I spot one of the maids and order her to summon Fred. Soon, Fred comes to the courtyard, my trusted officer and number one errand runner. "Fred!" I beckon him over.

He quickly makes his way to me, a look of anticipation in his eyes. "You called, my lord?"

I nod, wasting no time. "Fred, I have a task for you. We're hosting a Generous Banquet for my upcoming birthday and my wife's. I need you to spread the word throughout the Dromas Territory. Make sure everyone knows."

Fred's eyes widen with surprise, a mix of shock and excitement evident on his face. "A Generous Banquet, my lord? That's quite an honor. I'll get right on it!"

I entrust him with the important task, knowing that Fred is not only my officer but also my attendant, capable of handling such responsibilities. "Make sure the news reaches every village, and that the city is prepared to host such event. We want everyone to feel welcome."

He salutes, a proud smile breaking through. "Consider it done, my lord. This will be a celebration to remember!"

With that, Fred hurries off to fulfill his duty, spreading the word of the upcoming Generous Banquet. I watch him go, confident that with his efficiency and dedication, the news will reach every corner of the territory, ensuring a festive atmosphere for our birthdays.

As I sit in my study, penning invitations to the villages for the Generous Banquet, Mia enters the room with a purposeful stride. My wife's presence signals an urgency that draws my attention away from the parchment.

"Husband," she begins, her expression carrying a mix of concern and responsibility, "there's a matter regarding the budget for the Generous Banquet."

I pause, my quill hovering above the paper. "What is it, Mia?"

She takes a deep breath, her eyes meeting mine. "The funds allocated may not be sufficient to feed the entire population of the Dromas Barony. Hosting such a grand celebration for the villages might lead us perilously close to financial strain."

I lean back, contemplating the predicament. A birthday party on the verge of bankruptcy is far from the celebration I envisioned. "What are our options, oh my dear smart and all powerful wife?"

She thinks for a moment before responding, "We could scale back the festivities, reduce the guest list, or make adjustments to the menu. However, even with these measures, a significant compromise would be necessary to avoid financial ruin."

I furrow my brows, determined not to let the Generous Banquet falter. "We can't let this celebration fail. Find a way to make it work, Mia. Be creative, but ensure we stay within our means."

"I am not all powerful… even with magic, I am severely limited! I just gave birth, so give me some slack…" Mia complains rather vocally. There is no helping that then.

With the ink drying on the invitations, I decide that the Generous Banquet must proceed, no matter the financial constraints.

"Mia," I declare, determination coloring my voice, "we will find a way to make this celebration happen. The Generous Banquet proceeds as planned."

Her eyes light up with a mixture of relief and resolve. "Very well, Ran. I'll make the necessary arrangements to ensure it's a memorable event for everyone."

As Mia sets off to carry out the preparations, I finish writing the letter and turn my attention to Fred who just arrived after an errand. "Fred, take this letter and travel to each of the 12 villages. Read it aloud to the people and let them know they are invited to the Generous Banquet."

He nods, taking the letter with a salute. "Consider it done, milord. I'll spread the word far and wide."

As Fred departs on his mission, I focus my energy on sorcery. I cast <Phantom Step>, swiftly reaching the roof of my mansion. From this vantage point, I extend the boundaries of my magical abilities, enlarging the <Phantom Barrier> that once covered my mansion to now envelop the entire Dromas City.

The city transforms into my Sorcery Domain, a realm where illusions can manifest endlessly. As the <Phantom Barrier> stretches across the streets and buildings, I sense the mystical energy weaving through every corner of the city. It's a display of power that sets the stage for the grand celebration to come.

With the Generous Banquet invitations sent and my Sorcery Domain established, I await the arrival of the villages and the festivities that will unfold under the illusionary enchantment of the Dromas City.

The much-anticipated day has arrived, and the gates of the Dromas Barony territory swing open at the early hour of six o'clock in the morning. As the villagers enter, they are greeted by the guards who offer them ice-cold, delicious, bubbling, and fizzling soft drinks – a refreshing surprise that immediately piques their interest.

The villagers, initially doubtful, exchange glances but accept the drinks graciously. As they step further into the territory, they are met with a sight beyond their expectations. Families scattered across the open spaces, each feasting as if it were a lord's banquet. The air is filled with the aroma of mouth-watering dishes, and the pathways are lined with tables groaning under the weight of sumptuous meals.

Every villager walking through the territory is awestruck by the abundance before them. Food overflows from tables, and the generosity of the Generous Banquet becomes evident. The doubts that lingered in their minds dissipate, replaced by wide-eyed wonder at the lavish spread laid out before them. The celebration has begun, and the people of the Dromas Barony are treated to a feast that exceeds their wildest expectations.

Seated in our ornate thrones inside the mansion, my wife and I await the arrival of the village elder leading his folk. Our twin babies, their eyes wide with curiosity, look around from their cribs, absorbing the spectacle unfolding before them.

As the elder and his group enter, their eyes widen in awe at the sight of the banquet laid out before them. The tables groan under the weight of delicious-looking food, a spread fit… not just for any noble… but for royalty!

The village elder, his face a mix of reverence and humility, steps forward. "My Lord, we come with no tribute this time. The harvest has not been kind to us."

I smile, gesturing for him to approach. "It's quite alright. The Generous Banquet is meant to be a celebration for all. You need not bring tribute."

He bows slightly, relief evident in his eyes. "Thank you, Milord. In place of tribute, I offer my granddaughter to work for your house."

I consider his offer for a moment. "If she chooses to work for us, she will be treated with respect and receive fair wages. You have my word."

The village elder expresses gratitude, and I extend my generosity further. "Here, take this as well." I hand him a small pouch containing 'pocket money' for each villager. "Consider it a token of appreciation for joining us in the celebration."

I repeat the gesture as each villager approaches, ensuring they all receive a share. "This is for you and your community. Enjoy the festivities, and let this be a joyful occasion for all."

As the villagers disperse, their pockets a little heavier, I reflect on the fact that the money is the only tangible gift I'm providing. The bountiful feast and the illusions that fill the territory are a demonstration to the magic that creates an atmosphere of abundance.

The lively chatter of villagers fills the air inside my mansion, punctuated by exclamations of delight as they savor the delicious spread laid out before them. I observe discreetly, a sense of satisfaction washing over me as the illusion of culinary abundance works its magic.

Amidst the joyous ambiance, my wife leans in and whispers, "The food looks amazing, and they seem to be enjoying it thoroughly. Well done, my lord."

I smile, acknowledging her compliment. "Thank you, dear. I made sure to create a realistic illusion of satiety as well. We wouldn't want them to discover my sorcery, would we?"

She chuckles softly, nodding in agreement. "Indeed, it's best to keep our magical abilities as per… our agreement. But I must say, you've managed to showcase your skills without anyone suspecting a thing."

As the villagers relish slices of watermelon, indulge in ice cream, and marvel at a chocolate fountain, I can't help but feel a sense of accomplishment.

"I guess practicing magic in front of our subjects isn't so bad," I remark with a wry smile. "As long as they're happy and unaware of the sorcery at play."

My wife nods, sharing my sentiment. "Agreed."

After all, magic is for all— it is the belief that my wife has taken to heart as a 'character' from the novel. So I understand her in a sense.

As the day unfolds, more villagers, merchants, and outsiders flock to my territory, drawn by the revelry of the Generous Banquet. Laughter and lively conversations fill the air as people from various walks of life join the celebration.

Gifts of all kinds are presented to me—from the villagers who have come bearing local produce to the outsiders bringing unique treasures from distant lands. I graciously accept each offering, appreciating the spirit of generosity that permeates the occasion.

While I only distribute pocket money to my subjects, I welcome the outsiders with open arms, emphasizing the generosity that defines this celebration. The feast extends beyond my expectations, continuing not just for one day but spilling into the next.

In the midst of the festivities, Mia and I mark our 28th birthdays, surrounded by the joyous atmosphere we've cultivated. It's a party to remember, filled with merriment, lively conversations, and the freedom to let loose.

As the last echoes of celebration fade away, I reflect on the happiness shared during these days. The idea solidifies in my mind—this is not a one-time affair. With a sense of conviction, I declare, "Every birthday henceforth will be celebrated with a Generous Banquet!"

The decision is met with cheers and applause, affirming that the tradition will endure, bringing joy and camaraderie to the Dromas Barony year after year. The Generous Banquet, a celebration that transcends boundaries and welcomes all, becomes a cherished tradition in the heart of our vibrant territory.

12