Chapter 125 – Herding Cats
385 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Hello everyone! Elegist here with another news update.

If you would like to support me (and get a couple benefits while you're at it), you can do so on my Patreon. I appreciate your help so, so much.

Join the Discord for official character art (FREE) and updates (ALSO FREE).

Tess was grateful for the time they allowed themselves to reconnect and gather themselves. She wasn’t sure how she would feel if she immediately needed to get up and keep moving. Instead, she embraced the opportunity to hug Gwen, catch her up to speed on what she experienced, and what she remembered during her time as the Starlit Creature.

It wasn’t much, admittedly. She remembered the way she felt, but it was hard to completely understand it in the first place. She hadn’t particularly felt powerful. She just felt complete. She felt right. There was something about that form that was familiar and safe for her. It was understandably safe, given how strong it was, but why familiar?

According to Krahe, she’d done this before. According to Krahe, it was dangerous. According to Krahe, she’d promised never to do it again.

There was so much about her third Trial that didn’t make sense to her. She witnessed an important part of history and, potentially, changed its outcome. From her talks with Miri, Scirocca, and her own independent research in the library, it was at that tower battle that Henry was captured by Arlen. He spent the next ten years being tortured by the madman. Tess changed that though. Was that the actual, real past that she affected, or just some imaginary trial?

Tess wasn’t sure what the point would be, if it had all been illusory. But if it wasn’t, did she just change history?

It was too much to think about right now. She just wanted to get home and to ignore all of the weight that had some bearing down upon them during this venture. She just wanted to restart the makeout session with Gwen that’d been interrupted by this mission! Was that so hard?

She was pulled from her musings when Gwen interlaced her fingers through Tess’. The two gave one another a kind smile and Gwen whispered, “I think we’re headed out.”

Sure enough, Tess could see Joyona picking up Wydwen and walking toward the upside down staircase with Mairaela. Miren was close enough behind.

Tess couldn’t believe what Miren was responsible for. Or maybe she could. Loneliness was a terrible thing that nobody deserved, and Tess hadn’t treated Miren the best. She hadn’t treated her poorly, either, but there was more that she could’ve done. She could’ve learned about life in the Winter Court. She could’ve been more supportive to the woman as she adjusted to a new setting. Miren always seemed so confident, though. Who would’ve known that she needed that kind of help? Tess wondered how often people in the Winter Court were allowed to ask for help.

If she could only see Gwen while in the Void, would she kill to try and stay there?

Tess wanted to believe that she never would. It was out of the realm of possibility. But who knows? Who knows what loneliness would do to her. Besides, she had other friends to count on in that situation. Miren didn’t. She was just relieved that there was something that could be done to fix the situation. If Joyona was really gone for good, Tess wouldn’t have been able to find it in her heart to forgive Miren. Maybe Tess was being too kind. She wasn’t sure. What was too kind in this situation?

The group navigated to the next floor. The bottom floor. Or the top? This tower was so frustrating. In the center was a bright, white light. Wydwen had already given Joyona and Mairaela an explanation, so Mairaela shared it with the group.

“We’re going to move through the portal as usual, but Wydwen has to be the last one out, so Joyona is going to hold him and walk backwards,” the Summer Fey explained, “And there was something else?” She looked to Wydwen with a curious glance.

“Right,” the cat bobbed his head in agreement from his cradled position in Joyona’s arms, “I aim to live my life as a mortal cat once we return, which means that I don’t need any of my divine power remaining as I depart from this place. In fact, it is a priority.” Wydwen cleared his throat, which was an unusual sound from the feline, “As such there is a second advancement that I can give to each of you.”

“A second?” Gwen asked, raising a brow, “I thought you would only have enough for one.”

“As I said,” Wydwen reiterated with the same dull tone, “I need to use up all of my power as I depart so that I am no longer divine—old, new, whichever—when I return to your world. I have some left, so I may as well give it to you. I have nothing else to do with it.”

The cat closed his eyes, the rune on his forehead beginning to glow. He spoke once more, “Each of you should know, for the most part, what you’ve gained once I bestow it.”

Tess was excited, smiling wide and feeling extremely curious as to what her second advancement may be. She could feel Wydwen’s warmth and power wash over her as the cat god bestowed his blessing. Understanding of her power dawned on her, and Tess’ eyes widened.

“What the fuck?” Tess blurted.

Gwen snapped, “Fuck you, Wydwen!”

“How is this even a benefit?!” Miren shouted.

Mairaela fumed, “Gods dammit!”

The words were spoken in unison from all of the ladies but Joyona. Wydwen looked emotionless and uncaring as always.

“You are the most perverted cat that I know!” Mairaela shouted, eyes squeezed shut and fists clenched, “This is more like a curse!”

Joyona blinked from teammate to teammate before looking at Wydwen, “I don’t think I got anything.” She took a moment to pet the cat affectionately.

“You get the best thing,” Wydwen assured her, “You get me.”

Joyona raised an eyebrow, clearly intrigued.

“I have decided,” Wydwen added with a sagely nod, “I will live in your care, Joyona.”

“You want to be my pet?”

“I wouldn’t call it that,” Wydwen replied, “You’ll be feeding me, petting me and discarding my waste. Who sounds like a pet in that scenario?”

“Point,” Joyona replied dully.

“Fuck you!” Gwen shouted, “The moment we’re back I’m going to punt you off the Branch, cat!” She pointed at the cat and looked at Joyona, “Tell him!”

Joyona shook her head, “He is my pet now.” She gave him more pets and added, “Or I’m his. Whichever. He is in my care.”

“You do this to us and then you hide behind the giant?!” Miren shouted with complete disdain, “You’re going to get what’s coming to you, you degenerate!”

“What was it that everyone got?” Tess asked out of curiosity, looking around to the others, “Was it the same as mine?”

None of them seemed to want to volunteer their new gift, but Mairaela shook her head, “I don’t think so. Mine seemed pretty personal.”

“What was it?” Gwen asked, looking uncomfortable and like she wanted to pull the attention off of herself.

Mairaela let out a deep sigh and said, “The butt plug. It’s coming with me. I’ll have an irresistible urge to wear it at least once a day, and so long as it’s in, I’ll be faster and more agile.” She rolled her eyes and glared at Wydwen.

“Oof,” Miren said with a grimace, “Not as bad as mine, though.”

“What is it?” Tess asked.

“I get into a ‘heat’ once a month. It is what you think it is, but during that time I am empowered the longer I go without… satisfying the urge,” Miren scowled, looking to the cat, “Gods damned degenerate, you are.”

“What about you?” Gwen shakily asked Tess.

Tess could feel her cock twitching at the thought of the others’ new “gifts.” She was a little excited by the thought of Miren craving her. Or was she going to be lusting over one of the ladies? She wasn’t sure what Miren’s preferences were. Regardless, she looked to Gwen and the rest in turn, “Less time to wait for another round after an orgasm.. I’ll be ready to go again after about ten seconds.”

“Any benefit from multiple orgasms?” Mairaela asked.

Tess replied, “Other than the obvious? No. It’s just perverted, not beneficial in the Void at all.”

Eyes turned to Gwen and expected her to offer up her own new gift.

Gwen shook her head, “It’s private.” Curiosity was piqued for all three of the other “gifted,” but they acknowledged and accepted Gwen’s privacy. Gwendolyn leaned over toward Tess just barely and whispered, “I’ll tell you later.”

There was something exciting about being considered so special to Gwen that only she would know. Were they that close now? She hoped so.

“Everyone ready?” Wydwen asked.

“I can’t wait until you can’t talk anymore, you lech,” Mairaela groaned at Wydwen.

Wydwen sighed, “Must I remind you that the gifts and the Trials are all based on you, not me.”

“B-bullshit,” Miren responded, her voice shaking for the briefest moment. It was so strange to see the Winter Fey flustered.

“Let’s go home,” Joyona concluded, gesturing for the others to head through the portal, “I’m hungry.”

9