Chapter 24: Plans and Prejudice
171 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We need to find out why the Whisperer was really here, and what their true intentions were," Alissa said suddenly, jolting him from his introspective. The time when he was thinking, she had already buried the uncomfortable emotion.

"If they're willing to use something as insidious as a multi-stage poison which can even harm your mother's Locket, then they're playing a game that's far more dangerous than simple family squabbles." Alissa said.

He was thrown in a loop as he was going to suggest that they confront him, but after a moment, realize that it must be due to the original past behavior. Taking control of the situation when it gets hard is her normal operation.

But he raised an eyebrow at her comment, remembering that the 'simple family squabbles' she said was not so simple for Asher. His uncle's schemes were tough enough to crush Asher. but maybe Alissa learned to not let them get in her way. 'She matured faster to get the best of their situation'' he thought.

Seeing Asher raise an eyebrow, she realized what she said. So she fumbled a bit, trying to clarify. "I mean, you survived all that, right? Even though your uncle wanted to kill you, he couldn't. But this... this is hitting you where it most harms you, directly crippling your future."

Asher just nodded, as he said "Ignore it... I understand what you mean." Asher thought. 'Of course it's not small, but which heir didn't have uncles to thwart his position after his father's death. No family's perfect. After his dad passed, it was like open season with his uncles,' he thought to himself.

Alissa gave a small cough, her voice a bit shaky. "Yeah, um... let's focus on what's important here," she said, pushing past the momentary awkwardness.

Asher noticed her expression turn serious, a sign she was getting too deep in thought. He can already see her ignoring him in her plan, not that he can blame her as he was too weak to be of use in her eyes. So he used his hand to deliver a chop on her head. 

"Ouch! Why'd you do that?!" Alissa exclaimed feeling annoyed, she rubbed the spot where he hit her.

"You aren't going to confront him alone and without me, right?" he said knowing that she still thought him as weak. Like in his memories when he did not have a system to stabilize his body.

"What! I'm not a fool. Some people and guards here owe me. I was going to cash those favors" she said telling her plan, knowing that he would want to know.

"Huh, then consider it your punishment for getting me almost crippled." he shamelessly said giving out a reason. 

Alissa looked at him with an aggrieved look but didn't say anything knowing she had no face to speak on the topic.

'That's actually a pretty good use of her power,' he shook his head. Just because she goes alone in the memory doesn't mean she will go alone this time too. He was too looking at her getting scammed that he forgot that she was smart enough to get the Vice Councillor position.

Still, something made him feel uneasy, there was no Whisperer in his memory and that branch didn't even come into contact with Alissa so he decided to check as he asked to confirm, "You checked his medallion right?" 

He knew that Alissa shouldn't have trusted anyone without confirming but he had to check to be not blindsided in the future. Showing someone a medallion is a show of trust and identity. And a proof of mission. Especially for a Whisperer. 

Alissa looked at him in anger "Of course I did. Did you take me for a fool!"

"Well you got fooled to 'cripple' someone for whom you left. So excuse me for making sure!" he said with a sarcasm.

She got depressed again as she muttered in a low voice, "You don't have to remind me that… "

He let her stew in her depression knowing that this girl will soon start to think about confronting the bastard. Letting her feel a little foolish will help in making sure she doesn't make any mistakes later on. 

"So, what's the plan?" he asked, after a minute of silence. "You always have something up your sleeve."

Alissa paused, a flicker of hesitation crossing her face. "Yeah, I've got some ideas," she confessed, her voice trailing off slightly. "But this time, it's... complicated."

"Oh, then I want in." Asher said realizing that he has to know what they are planning.

"Huh? What? Absolutely not. You just got hospitalized. And got beaten by Jolan again. What can you even do in front of a trained whisperer?" Alissa asked skeptically.

"Hello no. Did you forget I beat the bastard as good as I got this time." He paused, thinking about his words, he backtracked. 

"No, that guy is still hospitalized, so you know I got him better. And you know I am skilled with a sword. I can't use that against Jolan in the orphanage but at least I will be able to protect myself and lessen the pressure on you guys" Asher said. 

"Yeah, but… aren't you jumping to the deep end." she said not sure about adding Asher thinking his words as men bravado.

Seeing her wavering, he decided to push her emotionally, "You have taken care of me already this much. Let me give something back. And that bastard tried to cripple me so I have to return the favor. So you are not confronting the man without me."

"Are you sure?" Alissa said, knowing that he will not waver.

"Yeah, I feel confident and assured in my ability to take care of myself and not hide behind you. I am not insane or anything, or suicidal. Just trust me" he said using the golden words of 'trust me'.

Alissa finally said with a sigh, "Just don't let your overconfidence get you killed. I don't care if you feel confident in hospitalizing a bully. Let me check your sword skill before you are going anywhere near him. Okay?"

"When?" he asked to get a timeframe to get himself in order, already adding sword training to familiarize with it.

"Well the next time we meet will be in two weeks, So after a week from today."

Asher thought that a week was too late. "Why a week?" he asked.

"Idiot! Did you forget about Jolan, he will surely come to you to get his revenge." she said, reminding him about his bully. "How you handle him will determine what you will do when I confront the Whisperer." 

Asher was feeling a headache developing just thinking about Jolan and his lackeys. "Yeah.. I will handle him."

"And It will take me that much time to get everyone on the plan." Alissa said, feeling a little relieved that Asher didn't show any fear about Jolan's revenge. 

She continued with her reasoning, "Especially if the man would have someone on his payroll in the orphanage."

 


 

Trivia: The System Creators sneers at the concept of Immortals of Law. For them, Laws are Universal and should be under tight control. One of the major task of a World System is to get complete control of Laws that govern the World or Realm. That is to took control of the Heavenly Will. Overwhelming strength is one of the way but it is not the most effective. 

Get details about the Story in our Fandom Page. Spoiler Alerts!! 🚨🚨

For Virtuous Villainy, World System and Cultivation Realms check out the pages.

Checkout the Character List to see details for you favourite characters.
Characters in Chapter: Asher Maximus Silverstar, Alissa Pendragon, Jolan Wolfeng

9