Chapter 3
59 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            As soon as he came back, Lyra pinned August with her eyes and said, “We're heading out. You look like you’re about to keel over from all the time spent in your forge, and we all know you only go outside when we ask you to come with us to something we want; that’s not healthy. Our first stop is the market where I’ll get a few things, and we can help Vayla pick out something nice for Anya.” She gained a similar smell to Asra, like she was watering a beloved tree and keeping it healthy. 

            “Yes! Thankyouthankyou! I’m completely clueless here! This is somehow even scarier than being tested by Sensei Ren in front of all the other students!” She shouted, confusion evident in her voice.

             Lyra laughed and Valya pouted while I picked up my bag. 

             “C’mon, put your shoes on then, and make sure you have your water and your bracelets.” I urged them. “Yes, daaad,” they replied with a tired tone. 

             As they made their way out the door, August began walking down the road when he heard Lyra shout “Dad! Where are you going?”

             Had it been so long that he was going the wrong direction toward town? August turned, and was going to say some whitty response about taking the scenic route when he froze at the sight of his daughter getting into one of the fanciest, most expensive auto-carriages he had ever seen. Beautiful black wood made up the body and white runes inlaid the surface such that he couldn’t tell apart the artful ones from the functional. 

             The entire thing hovered a foot off the ground due to four reinforced metal spheres on each corner that he just knew were protecting multiple layers of and folds runes inside. He wanted to pick the thing apart inch by inch, but he was too busy trying to combine the image of his cute daughter from the gaudy transportation. 

            “Where- how did-? We could get robbed going around in that!”

            “The carriage has defenses, dad. I got it as a gift.” She giggled at his face, but she had a tone that wanted to put an end to the conversation.

            “And it’s awesome on the inside too!” Vayla called out, having already taken a seat without question.

             “Sorry it’s just- a gift? What, from the princess!?-“ August caught his tongue at the look she gave him. She looks pissed for some reason. Hm, I wonder…?

             Vayla was right; the interior was just as luxurious as the exterior, but August was more interested in the navigation system. With so many complex calculations needed, were the runes combined with soulcraft? Or some type of possession?    

             “Hey mister or missus carriage, are you sapient? Do a little swerve if yes.” No answer. But was that just because it was forbidden from speaking somehow?

             “It uses the directions I give it and a bunch of sensory magic, dad. I don’t think someone would have a reason to create a Living Blade out of a carriage.” Lyra answered his unsaid question.

             “Nobles are weirdos with too much money to spare, you never know.” I reply skeptically, but drop it. I really wish I had some sort of magic sight at times like these. 

             “MINI FRIDGEEE!” Vayla screamed and before I knew it she was leaning down, elbow-deep in a small refrigerator hidden under our seats. She let out a burst of smell like the air of a fresh market, a simple but intense desire for assorted foods. That’s one way to break tension.

             “No, bad gremlin. Only one drink and snack, you’re not eating all my food again!” Lyra yelled as she tried to pull her sister out by the shoulders, but the redhead was surprisingly strong when it came to something she wanted.

             She tried to look at me for help but I just grinned and said “As long as it’s not too much salt or sugar.” His eldest daughter looked at him with betrayal before turning back to the little monster raiding her stuff. Small moments like these with his kids were enough to make August forget about everything else, Ben if just for a while. The redhead appeared to give up, taking a bottle of chocolate milk and some jerky, but she shared a smug look with August behind Lyra’s back when he noticed her pocketing something circular wrapped in paper. She smelled faintly like meat snatched from a beast’s maw. August wasn’t a snitch, so he just smiled in acknowledgement of her victory. The elder sibling eyed them suspiciously, but August distracted her with something he’d been wanting to ask.

            “So, you said in your last letters that you were looking for a second job. How’s the search?”

            She twirled a finger through hair, which was completely straight unlike most of his children. It was a nervous gesture, and she reeked of desire to impress and look good. “Well I did find one, and I have to stop by the market to get something for it, but I’m not telling you yet until it’s all set in stone.”

            She had a strange smile, but before he could ask about it, she changed the topic to the coded message he left in the tablets. August gave a recap on everything he knew, and continued with the news of the rest of her sisters until the carriage “rolled” to a stop. He wondered if this smoothness was similar to the cars Otherworlders reminisced so fondly about. If they all had rides as smooth as this, he could see why they had such a hard time getting used to carriages and mounts.

             He was still worried about theft even here at the stables, but he didn’t detect any dangerous greed, and there wasn’t much he could do. Lyra locked the door by turning one of her fingers into a blade and cutting another to bleed, placing the digit on a small golden rune on the handle; it only made him feel marginally better. At least no one seemed to be following them into the streets, though there were plenty of turned heads initially. 

             They passed the rows of packed carriages and turned onto the main road of stone bricks. On either side were mostly two story wattle-and-daub buildings with storefronts facing the streets, or the occasional tent stall, and the air was filled with need, materialism, and vanity. There’d be more of the tents toward the more civilian-oriented market districts. August had a feeling he would never get used to the feeling of shopping here regularly, highlighted by the fact that he hadn’t bothered to buy any fancier clothes other than a decent linen. Heck, he didn’t even know how he was so shocked at the floating carriage when a bit less than half of the ones passing through here did the same.

             “Are we looking for something specific, or browsing stores?” I asked, trying to shake the stronger-than-usual feeling of walking around in a shitty skin suit.

             “I have to go to a specialty store to get my things, but we’ll start with Anya’s gift. Valya, do you know what she likes?”

             His younger daughter stared off into space for a few seconds as she thought, smelling vaguely like perfume with the desire to impress. “She does like sweets, but it doesn’t feel very gifty so… and I dunno what kind of paintings she would want specifically and that costs a lot… Ah, she also wears some jewelry like earrings and necklaces usually!” She perked up with a victorious smile and pulled out her necklace from under her shirt. The chain held a small crescent moon with twelve different runes engraved on either side, two of which were glowing. It matched the ones her sister and I also wore.

             “I told her about ours, and how they let us know when one of the others are nearby with the different runes lighting and heating up and stuff. She thought it sounded super smart and sweet, and we talked about getting a pair for both of us.” She rambled, blushing at that last bit. 

              “Did you really need help? It sounds perfect!” August laughed, then added, “If you want other ideas, sometimes the perfect gift can be a special moment you arranged for her, like going to see a place she wanted to visit.” 

               “Or some place pretty!” Lyra jumped in, adding to the rosy scent in the air. “We can share sweets and tea in a beautiful forest, and give her the necklace at the right moment, then bam! Instant marriage!” August sighed at her ecstatic expression, holding her face in her hands with a faraway look. She was probably the best and worst of the sisters to give relationship advice, being the most romantic of them all. In this case, the idea wasn’t half bad.

               “Married!??” Except for that part. Valya looked ready to combust at any moment, muttering denials at an impossible speed and waving her hands. August positioned his large body to mostly block her from view of the street when heads turned.

              “Idunno’boutmarriageisn’tthatabittofast?” She questioned. “Imeansurepeopleusuallymarryintheirtwentiesbutwe’rebothagelessright? Andhaven’tevendatedyetso—“

              “Lyra, don’t get too carried away, you know your sister gets worked up easily.” August nudged her out of her daydream, and she smiled sheepishly as her sister's words somehow continued to accelerate. He placed a hand on Valya’s head, and she froze before lowering her hands in embarrassment, looking around to see if she caused a scene. 

              He ruffled his youngest daughter’s fluffy hair before letting go. “Let’s find some tea first, and I‘ll fix up a neat necklace back home. If you really want a painting, you can try it yourself or ask Alice for help.” She laughed incredulously, “Me? No, no, and asking Alice feels like relying too much on her.”

              They ended up wandering until they found an older woman smelling of old wood, selling exotic tea blends in one of the smaller tents. The inside was dark, and the air was humid and pungent with the mixed smells of dozens of herbs. She said she had something perfect for after a day of hard work with a knowing look, and Lyra looked like she could barely contain her laughter. I was going to ask until the woman smiled, looking at me with eyes that sent a chill down my back. 

              Magic was bullshit, and glamor can be seen through dozens of different ways even if August’s runes were more potent than most. If she noticed his strange eyes, she at least seemed to write them off as something embarrassing rather than a life threatening secret. He doubted she could see deep enough into his soul to identify his demonic nature past the protective tattoo on his back, atleast. He’d paid good money for that, and tested it extensively.

             There were no more suspicious old ladies after that at least, and the bought pastries, hard candies, chocolates, cookies, and even a pretty picnic basket weaved with patterns for preservation that were still technically runes, just not carved.

             Lyra stopped at the store she needed last, which was a fancy looking leatherworking shop, and said she’d catch up to them. Vayla and August continued toward the jeweler where we’d buy the base for her necklace. He wasn’t a master runesmith, generally enjoying the more direct soulcraft work, but he got almost as much money from it as he did the latter. He would probably get more from soulcraft if he used his own soul for more than just Living Blades, rather than molding monster souls, but the idea of putting the culmination of his being into anything lesser just for money felt viscerally disgusting on a personal level, even back then when he was desperate. 

          The shop had more security than others, and thick enchanted glass cabinets filled with gems lined the walls. Behind the counter they could see men going through the process, the building being a combination of store and workshop. If the upstairs was a house, then it would be just like his old place. Below the counter were enchanted jewelry with extra protection, but we weren’t interested in that.

           “August! It’s been at least two years, how’ve you been?” A stout man behind the counter greeted them with a booming voice. He didn’t smell like much, which was a rarity.

           “I’ve been fine, James. My daughter here wanted to buy something special for a special someone, so I brought her to the best place in town.” I smiled warmly. James was one of his mom’s friends who helped him out when he needed it most. He would’ve visited him more, but who knew what perception runes he or a worker might happen to be testing out that day?

            The man took a liking to Vayla quickly, listening to all of her ideas and suggesting material, methods, details, and prices with the zeal of someone who truly loves their craft. In the end, they picked out twin silver necklaces in the shape of a glaive and short sword. 

             August paid for the commission happily, and after leaving the shop, he thumbed Lyra’s rune on his necklaces and felt the heat growing steadily. His daughters had spent weeks choosing unique runes to represent everyone, though they never told him what his own meant, citing an obvious and frustrating excuse that it wasn’t going on his own necklace. “She’s getting closer, let’s wait here.” He explained to Vayla, a bit uselessly since she was doing the same.

              They scanned the windows and made comments about the expensive items while they waited. The jewelry was a famous one, operating at the very edge of the high-end market, bordering the noble’s district. All of the items were efficient, magical, and/or gaudy as all hell. 

              August looked even more out of place here, and the lower nobles and high born stared at his simpler clothing with either disdain, confusion, or suspicion. The ones that recognized him -a sizable portion- looked at his daughter with either apprehension, respect, or both. He thought it was funny, really; Vayla, being the youngest, hadn’t even had the chance to make any waves yet. But because he had gone an unprecedentedly long time without making another Living Blade, to the point where some thought he might be done with the craft, they had begun to lump her and her sisters together with what they called the Troublesome Twelve. 

              The title was due to their general propensity for stirring things up, the short time frame in which they were all born, and their abnormal strength which was probably due to August’s demonic properties. In fact, his production rate might be due to the demonic properties too, but he couldn’t be sure. 

              Lyra was one of the biggest examples, having taken strong measures in rooting out corrupt nobles with her partner, Asra, the captain of the guard. Together they made a living off finding dirt on those too protected so their enemies could use it against them. Their biggest hit by far was a hidden project by one of the three major noble clans, the Brathus family, to build a private force of groomed Living Weapons last year. The bastards had even once requested that August himself make one to be an “official member of the house” in exchange for the prestige of their name. Accepting had never been in question, but the fact they were eyeing his daughters made his hair burst into flame when read Lyra’s letter that day. Luckily he was alone, because it took him a whole hour to calm down from that, combined with the pure gut-wrenching horror that the two had almost been assassinated if it weren’t for the princess’s protection.

                August was jolted out of his thoughts when Valya exclaimed “Oof!” after colliding with someone and landing on her but. A sharp chill ran down my spine when I noticed the elegant black and purple gown of the person. Of course; they wouldn’t be his daughters if they didn’t piss off a rich noble right when he was reminiscing about them pissing off rich nobles. 

5