Chapter Thirty-Eight
15 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Upon reaching the entrance of the cave, they waited in anticipation for the role assignment. They had discussed beforehand that they would aim to complete the quest in an untouchable record breaking time. Their previous record had already been overtaken by other players and their competitiveness was fired up.

“Which role would you rather play?” Wen Xi asked.

Gu Qingfeng hummed, resting his chin on his palm as he looked at the loading page animation. “Doesn’t matter. Last time I just wanted to hear—” He abruptly stopped his mouth and was saved by the timely refresh of their screens.

You entered the cave and have been poisoned, losing your sight. Rely on your comrade to reach the end of the maze to get the antidote.

“Guess I’m the one giving directions this time,” Gu Qingfeng said as Wen Xi’s screen went dark.

Perfect. Wen Xi discreetly adjusted his laptop so that he had a clear view of Gu Qingfeng’s screen and face. He played the game so often he already knew where the controls were even with his eyes closed, which meant he could entirely concentrate on Gu Qingfeng during the quest.

“Please take care of me~” he said experimentally, trying to inject some of Gu Qingfeng’s playfulness into his tone.

“Mm, don’t worry, ge will take care of you,” Gu Qingfeng assured as his eyes focused on the screen, his hands moving busily.

Is that not it? He had thought that perhaps flirtatiousness was the answer. Automatically following the directions Gu Qingfeng gave as he periodically glanced at the other’s screen, he tried again, “Nice hit! Great job!”

To which Gu Qingfeng just grinned and muttered ‘thanks’ without pausing in his gameplay. Wen Xi’s brow creased in disappointment as he tried to recall the past occasions… what had he said just now that caused Gu Qingfeng to blush? He had spoken sternly to get Gu Qingfeng to stop—maybe if he lowered the pitch of his voice?

He waited for an opportunity before pitching down his voice, saying quietly with strength, “Qingfeng.”

Gu Qingfeng twitched and slipped slightly, almost missing his attack, as he said nonchalantly, “Hmm? Careful it’s coming towards you—ah, nice dodge.”

Sensing victory within his grasp, Wen Xi quickly executed some attacks and rolled out of the danger zone before continuing in the same calm voice, “Great work, Qingfeng.”

The man’s ears turned noticeably redder as he casually rubbed the ear closer to Wen Xi, and continued fighting with the monster, murmuring a low ‘mm’ in reply.

Wen Xi’s eyes gleamed mischievously as he locked onto his target. With them conveniently seated next to each other, they aced the maze, without having to restart at all. 

In the course of the next twenty-minutes, Wen Xi managed to determine that Gu Qingfeng was especially reactive when he spoke with his chest voice, and was particularly affected by certain words like ‘good’, and his own name.

His grin subconsciously grew wider and wider as he relished the extent of the effect he had over Gu Qingfeng. He had never been more pleased to have this voice.

“So happy to play with me?” Gu Qingfeng teased as he chucked Wen Xi’s chin as they moved to the Goblin King fight.

“Ahh… just happy how we’re making good time,” Wen Xi said as he hastily wiped the smile off his face, and because he could not resist, “Qingfeng...”

Gu Qingfeng twitched and narrowed his eyes suspiciously at the other who was earnestly concentrating on attacking the boss.

“…I’ll draw its attention with long range attacks, you can sneak up and get it from the back,” Gu Qingfeng directed as they immediately put it into action.

“Mm, good…” Wen Xi answered with a slight smirk, which sent an involuntary tingle down Gu Qingfeng’s spine. Suppressing the slight shudder, his head snapped up mid attack as he looked apprehensively at Wen Xi who had schooled his expression back to serious concentration.

Shaking off his growing suspicion, Gu Qingfeng refocused on taking down the Goblin King and rapidly spawning goblins.

With their seamless teamwork, they completed the quest with ease, prioritizing maximizing damage and speed while carelessly chugging potions.

“Yes!” Wen Xi exclaimed as they checked the scoreboard to find that they had managed to set a new record ten whole minutes faster than the previous first place. They got up from their chairs and grabbed each other, jumping up and down in excitement.

“I can’t believe we even got the ruby ring! We’re definitely gonna kick ass at the competition next week,” Gu Qingfeng happily said as he excitedly squeezed the man in his arms.

Still feeling a little mischievous, Wen Xi purposely leaned down slightly in their embrace to be a little closer to Gu Qingfeng’s ear and said huskily, “Help me put on the ring?”

“Ok…” Gu Qingfeng agreed with a barely noticeable gulp as he sat down in front of Wen Xi’s laptop to equip the newly acquired ruby ring on Wen Xi's Undying account.

Wen Xi hugged him from behind, bending over to rest his chin on Gu Qingfeng’s shoulder as the other opened up the inventory. At this point, it had progressed beyond mere teasing. “Qingfeng…” Wen Xi murmured as he held Gu Qingfeng firmly with one arm and lightly ran his fingers over the exposed collarbone with the other, which made the man noticeably shudder in his arms. When the ring was equipped, he continued, “The ring my boyfriend got for me looks good.”

“Xiao Xi…” Gu Qingfeng said warningly as he held onto Wen Xi’s playful hand.

“Hmm?” Wen Xi asked nonchalantly with a knowing smile, making sure to accentuate the vibrations in his throat in that short phrase.

“Xiao Xi, y-you…” Gu Qingfeng stuttered accusingly as his favourite voice at such a close proximity sent tremors running through his body. He tried to turn around in the chair to look at the culprit, but was held in place by the taller man.

“Yes, Qingfeng?” Wen Xi purred as he released his hand from Gu Qingfeng’s grasp and slid down his chest.

Gu Qingfeng’s chest hitched as he trembled from the pleasurable physical and auditory torture. “That’s n-not fair,” he whimpered as Wen Xi moaned in his ear and moved his questing hand under the hem of his shirt.

“Qingfeng, you like my voice, don’t you?” Wen Xi teased as he licked the reddened ear.

Gu Qingfeng had already caught on to Wen Xi’s playful antics during the game and his rhetorical question confirmed the suspicion that his shameful preference had been uncovered. “Mm…” he confessed as his eyes instinctively squeezed shut in embarrassment.

“Is that why you were so nice to me—”

Forcefully twisting out of the embrace, Gu Qingfeng held Wen Xi’s hands and looked into his eyes, and anxiously said, “—maybe at first, but I like you for more than your voice, you know that, right?”

Letting out a low chuckle at his worried face, Wen Xi clasped his hands and reassured with the smile that he knew Gu Qingfeng liked, “Of course. You like it when I touch your cheek, my stubbornness, my eyes, my smiles, even when I get angry. Pervert.”

Recognizing the contents of his letter, Gu Qingfeng blushed and shot back, “Luckily your pervert boyfriend is very handsome. And thoughtful. Charming, and makes you laug—”

Wen Xi laughed and silenced the other with his lips instead of his voice.


Happy Chinese (Lunar) New Year! ヽ(´▽`)/

Apologies for the delay~ Been a little busy with my new job and Chinese New Year celebrations (≧︿≦)

1