Book 2 – Chapter 6 – The Automaton
176 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rebecca sighed in regret. “Maybe destroy just the throne itself? It would be a huge waste to destroy the whole room. This room likely cost thousands of DP.”

“Master? Are you–”

“What–”

“Shit!”

Both Rebecca and Nick shouted in alarm, as the creepy automaton suddenly appeared in the doorway. Rebecca had moved behind Nick as he had stepped forward, and his hand was on the hilt of his soul blade on his shoulder, ready to split the automaton in two. 

The automaton had paused in its speech when Nick and Rebecca shouted in surprise, but continued unknowing that it nearly just got severed in two. “What is it, Master? You shouted in pain. Do you require assistance?”

Nick relaxed. “Can you help me with the throne? We want to…stop usurping Seraphara’s faith.”

The automaton tilted her head. “Are you sure, Master? If you remove the connection, it will be nearly impossible to re-establish it. As it was, he had to use an irreplaceable artifact from the Goddess.”

Nick nodded, though he turned and saw Rebecca’s unease around the automaton that looked and sounded like her dead mother. “I’m sure.”

The automaton took measured steps to the throne, and reached out its hand toward the back of it. The golden back of the chair twisted like clockwork, revealing a black and white gem. Irene’s fake pulled it out, and the air shifted immediately. 

A wave of spiritual energy washed over Nick and Rebecca, and he imagined the entire cathedral. The air became thicker in the room, and Nick felt the sensation of being watched, like all of his secrets were laid bare. 

This continued for a few moments and actually became kind of heavy, before the presence seemed to move on. 

Nick let out a breath of air. “Ah, shit. Don’t tell me I’m going to get in trouble with the goddess over what the bishop did?”

Rebecca still looked uneasy around the fake Irene, but she shook her head. “I don’t think so. Seraphara is a goddess of wisdom, and shouldn’t blame you for the actions of my father. She should see you as someone that righted the wrong.”

“How could he usurp the goddess, anyway? Is it because of that gem?”

The automaton appeared happy to help, smiling. “Master is correct! This gem contains Irene’s faith core. Being a direct descendant of Seraphara, the core combined with the throne of enlightenment, an essence gathering and attuning device, enabled him to draw in the faith of all the first stratum adherents within the city.”

Rebecca looked at the gem in horror, her mouth agape. 

Nick was eager to know more. “Is that common? It feels like stealing from a goddess should be pretty hard…”

“Oh! It is very uncommon, and normally deemed impossible! Samuel was only able to achieve it due to a series of very specific circumstances. Any one piece missing, and it would have never worked!”

“You’re just a font of information, huh? What are you, and where did you come from?”

“Master is interested in me? I specialize in knowledge and pleasure, and I am a XG-21 Masterwork Service Automaton. Samuel purchased me along with the throne from the Darkrock Confederacy. I was built to serve!”

“Alright, can you change your voice and appearance…somehow? Rebecca here is not a fan of you looking and sounding like her dead mother.”

“Right away, Master!” It reached inside its slutty nun dress near its exposed stomach, its arm disappearing into a compartment there up to its elbow. It pulled out a blue sheet, and threw it over its head as it closed its wings behind it.

The automaton now looked like it was a child dressing up as a blue ghost for Halloween, the large sheet reaching all the way down to its feet.

The voice that came out next was different from Irene’s, a sensuous woman’s voice instead. “Is this good, Master? I can't change my actual appearance without visiting a Darkrock service depot, but–”

“It’ll have to do for now, but maybe try a more normal tone instead? Do you have a name?”

Her voice came out more normally this time. “The previous master called me many names, but mostly cumslu–”

Nick groaned. “Alright, scratch that name. How about…”

Rebecca said, “How about Lumos? It means the light of enlightenment. It’ll help me take my mind off of this thing’s…other specialties.”

Nick shrugged. “Sounds good. You are Lumos now.”

“Great. You can call me whatever you want, Master! But if anyone asks me, I will say my name is Lumos from now on!”

Nick frowned in thought. “Is there anything else you can think of that I should know about your previous master’s dealings? I really wouldn’t like anymore surprises.”

“Yes! You definitely need to know that a payment of five thousand gold coins is due to the Darkrock Confederacy yearly, or the throne and I will be forcefully repossessed! The next payment is due in four months and twenty-one days!”

“When you say forcefully…”

“Anyone who gets in the way will be slain! And, recycling me has a fee, if you are not beyond your ten year lock-in period. If you do not pay it, you will be taken in as slaves, your possessions claimed for repayment!”

Nick was now both worried and extra confused–especially how creepily enthusiastic Lumos was. Even if this automaton was really good at its second…specialty, how could it be worth so much gold? The man could have had slaves for that purpose. 

So this meant something about its first specialty was extremely effective, or he was really vain. Perhaps finding an angel slave was very rare?

“I’m not going to deny that you seem useful, but I have a hard time imagining the bishop seeing you worth such a vast price. What can you do as an automaton specialized in…knowledge?”

“Oh! The five thousand is not just for me, but for the throne as well. I was the one who configured and calibrated the throne! If master needs it, I can optimize it for your usage, whatever your Path might be. I can also craft items from treasures found within the Ordeal with skills matching craftsmen within the third stratum. I contain thousands of schematics for a budding kingdom, able to build anything you desire with the right supplies!”

“Huh, that does sound very useful for us right now. Still, I don’t know that I can afford five thousand gold a year right now. That is a vast sum.”

Rebecca nodded, but Lumos was quick to allay his worries. “Not to worry, Master! Samuel had immense funds and should be able to afford the next payment. Please, just follow me, and I will show you!”

Nick raised his brow at that, and they followed the blue ghost Lumos out of the Concept chamber, closing the door. Another door opened off to the side, a section of the wall with no lines or seams visible. He inwardly groaned at the man’s secrecy, but figured if it was a vault, it should be the most hidden of anything.

The hallway led to a vault, which Lumos opened much like the throne did, with the clockwork-like opening.

It walked inside, and Nick wondered how the thing was able to navigate–the sheet had no eye slits.

“See, plenty of gold. Enough for a few payments! This way, Lumos won’t need to be turned into scrap.”

Nick whistled. “How much is in here?”

“In gold? 17,238! Between all the treasures Samuel collected, there should be nearly thirty thousand gold in value.”

“Huh, that sounds like a lot. We should check that Brutus guy’s house.”

Rebecca looked sickened at all the money she saw, her face pale and her expression scrunched up as if in pain. “I can’t believe they sold this many people, to have this much in funds. We already checked his house, and confiscated his gold. It was a lot, and I should have a full accounting ready for you soon. I just hadn’t had a chance to talk to you about it yet.”

“Wow, so we’re rich now? This is…good, but we’ll have a target painted on our back. Our wealth exceeds our strength. Thankfully, we have a good way to funnel funds out of here.”

Rebecca exclaimed, “Ah! The Barrows! But I do hope that some of this money can be used for good…”

Nick smiled at Rebecca. “Of course, I wouldn’t be much of a hero if I just hoarded all the funds for myself, right? You mentioned redemption before, for the evil to receive a taste of their own medicine and become slaves, maybe using those funds from their sale to buy back other slaves. This can be challenging in practice because by merely buying them, especially a large number at once, I am increasing the demand for more slaves. Giving slavers funds for more operations likely means more destroyed families, and more slaves.”

Rebecca nodded with a smile. “You’ve thought about my words, haven’t you? There are ways to address and mitigate these concerns. For now, we have to worry about this bandit king, Blackthorne. Maybe we can afford some mercenaries in Silverbrook?”

Nick had thought of this. Now that he had the money, it certainly felt appealing. The problem was that many mercenaries were hardly better than bandits. They would need to get lucky in terms of finding the right people, but also not grab too many to tip their hand, or they would find even more enemies coveting their wealth.

Thankfully, Nick and his wives had the perfect method of screening potential mercenaries: Soul Sense. However, to accomplish that, he would definitely want to be in the second stratum before he made the journey to Silverbrook.

For now, he would just have to rely on Lothar. Nick was hoping that the orc raiders would really muddy the waters, confusing the bandits as to what actually happened in Havendale. The geography completely changed, but hopefully they would not learn of this detail for some time. For now, he would plan for the worst, while hoping for the best. He would rush to the second stratum, and soon.

Nick turned to the automaton. “Lumos, could you compile a list of these treasures and what they are used for? Wait, can you even leave here? What powers you?”

Lumos tilted its covered head, but sounded excited. “Am I being allowed to leave here?! I’ll be happy to make a list for you, and I can go anywhere you allow me. Samuel did not allow for me to leave the church’s basement after I was activated. As to what powers me, I am powered by essence! As long as the ambient essence is good enough, I can function without issue. Near a claimed Ordeal there should never be a problem.”

Nick frowned. “You seem happy to be able to leave the basement?”

“Of course. I live to serve, and so I am happy to not be left alone, where I am unable to. It is…lonely down here.” 

He raised his brow at that, he had no idea the automaton had some form of emotions or a level of sapience. “Alright. Let’s get you out of this basement. If anybody talks to you, don’t tell them what you are for now. Just say you are Lumos and Lord Nicholas is taking care of you. I’d rather people didn’t know we have an automaton, other than my wives or followers.”

“Ah, you mean this special connection you have? Is Rebecca not your wife?”

Rebecca blushed as she hastened her steps out of the room. “N-No! I am his follower.”

They left the church basement after closing the vault, and returned to Rebecca’s house. Nick quickly checked the Sanctum for more options now that he claimed the Throne, but nothing appeared here besides the option to destroy the whole room in question.

Nick asked Rebecca, “You got like a better…uh, costume for Lumos here? I bet Winny can come up with something.”

She shook her head. “I joined the clergy at a young age. I really only have habits and underclothes. A habit on something that looks like my mother would not help much.” 

They headed back to the cathedral, but as they neared the large double doors, they heard what sounded like a large crowd inside, voices echoing off the walls. 

“Huh, wait here, Lumos. We’re going to see what’s going on first.”

They left Lumos behind, and entered the church doors. There were many clergy in prayer, muttering out loud and some outright speaking. Even the many non-clergy had arrived, the people of Zura to pray.

It was the woman that wanted to accompany them before, Marissa. “Archpriestess! Whatever you did worked! Our connection to Seraphara has returned. It’s clear the Bishop had really pulled the wool over our eyes. When… your mother died, he said Seraphara was saddened. But things never improved…it was really the bishop’s doing?”

Rebecca nodded sadly. “It’s worse than that, but we can talk later.” She looked over to Nick. “I think it might really be best if I stick around here for now, so I can try to commune with the goddess as well.”

Nick smiled. “Hm, alright then. Put in a good word for me, would you?”

She chuckled. “I think you have nothing to worry about, Lord Nicholas.” Rebecca looked at the soul blade on his shoulder meaningfully. 

Nick realized that weight he felt probably had noticed this, and if it were against him, it would have placed a weight on him until he disarmed himself. “Forgot about that, you might be right. Well, I guess I’ll just sneak Lumos out of here and take them to meet with Winny and Kaya.”

He went back to Lumos after saying goodbye to Rebecca and the many thankful priests and priestesses, and as he arrived at Lumos, he realized something.

“Wait, do those Darkrock guys have some special control over you? You said they would repossess you. From half-way across the shard?”

“They can only track me to my general location, and no, they have no power over me! This is one of the many reasons why they would scrap me when they do so.”

Nick had ideas, but he still asked. “Why else would they scrap you?”

“All XG-21’s are made from recycled parts and come with various knowledge modules installed, tied to the master of their Ordeal. But that doesn’t mean someone would want a used pleasure servant, would they? I am worth more as parts for a new servant, rather than discounted as used.”

Nick frowned, as he reached out with his Soul Sense and his soul magic. While what Lumos said made sense, he really couldn’t risk his secrets around an unknown element. This creature might not be aware of some kind of back door, or was merely programmed to provide this answer.

Thankfully, his magic was able to connect with it. Because of that, he somehow doubted Lumos was a complete artificial life form. “Do you know…how your kind are made?”

“Oh! I believe most automatons are the result of a minor spirit being merged with a manufactured body and mind. What type is proprietary, and I do not know what I was before. But I know after I was merged into it, my thoughts became much more…significant. I am happy with my existence now!”

Knowing that, it made some sense that the creature had a soul. In the end, Lumos was somewhat similar to Jasmine. 

With that, he was able to make a soul pact with Lumos. He offered his protection and swore he would do his best to continue Darkrock’s payments to assure it didn’t get scrapped, and Lumos would do its utmost to earn its keep–with crafting and its aid, as well as keeping Nick’s secrets. 

The pact accepted, Nick asked Lumos about Darkrock again, but the answers were the same. He even asked about recordings of its speech and vision. Lumos was adamant that it knew there was no additional recording devices–it was capable of repairing itself, and had a general schematic of everything that went into it. 

Nick knew his Pact was truly powerful, and should override anything contained within the body Darkrock might have placed in there, as long as it was covered by Lumos’s spirit. In a way, Lumos was a spirit in the machine, and when its spirit was placed in the body, it became the body. This was why if the automaton was scrapped, Lumos would die.

Lumos lifted its finger under the sheet, the outline of it showing. “But wait! What about pleasure? Are you not wanting to use Lumos?! But, I’m very good–”

Nick snorted. “I’m not going to make someone’s existence depend on sexual favors. Not only that, but having you earn your value in that way is like paying a prostitute. I’m not interested in that. Lastly, your appearance is quite unfortunate. Irene is a lovely lady, but the bishop was a twisted man to want to use his deceased wife for your looks.” 

He continued, “That’s not your fault, but why not just focus on what you can do for now? You want to be useful, and I have many needs for your information specialty. I am just starting a kingdom, and we can really use your expertise. I already have two wives, and we are about to go meet them. Come on.”

“Yes, Master! Of course. Thank you.”

They walked through the cathedral, and the people of Zura were mostly bowed in prayer, their eyes closed. The few people paid Nick and Lumos nearly no mind, as they exited the Cathedral and headed up the street.

The pair went straight for Nick’s Crown Sanctum, but Lumos looked at the city with awe as it followed. 

“Wow, three Ordeals, Master? Your city is amazing!”

“Is that rare?”

“It is definitely in the upper percentiles. Most won’t merge them into one city, on account of the increased chance of Trials and Tribulations. Most opt for keeping the cities separate, but Orion wants you to be challenged to become more! You’re off to a great start.”

Nick saw the Dueling Grounds in the distance, seeing various orc warriors facing off. While a majority of the warriors had left, many still remained. Both to protect Frosthaven, but also to continue striving for the second stratum. Those that were close headed out, though Andross stayed behind.

They would soon be entering the Path of Kings in hopes of Nick reaching the second stratum, and upgrading the Ordeal in truth. Rebecca’s issue taken care of, he thought he was almost ready. However, he was still helping Eirwen and Kaya prepare.  

As they arrived at Nick’s home, Lumos let out a surprised voice. “Wow! My sensors cannot pierce your sanctum’s materials! Your sanctum is truly special.”

“You haven’t seen anything yet. C’mon inside.”

The door slid open, and the two walked inside, Lumos seemingly marveling at the walls as it looked back and forth. 

Eirwen and Kaya were lounging around in the living room with books, snacking and doing some light reading, it appeared. Kaya was drinking some tea, and it did appear they had been waiting on him. 

Winny stood. “Welcome home, hubby. Er, what’s this?”

Nick removed the sheet, revealing Irene’s visage. “This is my new friend, an automaton of the bishop’s. It really helped me out over at the church, and it turns out it’s really good at what it does. Say hello, Lumos.”

“Greetings, wives of master! I am Lumos, and Lord Nicholas is taking care of me. Can I interest you in some pleasuring? I am very good at it!”  

13