Chapter 3: Healing
55 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Unknown)


Melissa laid unconscious on a hospital bed, unable to move. Taped white rolls covered her wounds, a single bloody spot visible amidst the elastic exterior. A blue hospital gown adored her athletic form, wholly wrapped in a stripped black blanket. 

Her right arm was connected to an IV unit, her index finger encased inside a reader feeding the life support system data. A oxygen breather fed her air, keeping her lungs stable. The slow beeps monitoring her heart rate echoed in the quiet room, barring the open window and door letting some noises in. 

Melissa’s conscious began resurfacing within, her left hand’s finger twitching one by one till the whole fist closed. Then both eyes slowly opened, struck by harsh yellow ceiling lights. She moved her head down somewhat, finding Shaoshao in a blue chair on her left. The eastern brunette slept peacefully, her right cheek touching the blanket’s fabric. Her eyes had black marks, indicating a moment of intense grief. 

Just how long was Melissa out?

“…….mmgh….” Shaoshao stirred from her slumber, gradually leaning back into a straighter posture. Her arms stretched high, her neck cracked side to side, and she yawned with her right hand over the mouth. When she finally met the awakened Melissa, her expression became one of surprise, her eyes widening for emphasis.

“Me….Melissa?” Shaoshao uttered unintentionally, reeling from the initial shock.

“Hi, sweetie,” Melissa kindly said, waving a hand weakly. “Did you sleep well?”

Shaoshao blinked twice, unable to stop her inevitable tears. Salty rivers flowed down her face, hands quickly wiping them away. Or trying to, at least.

But all the pent up emotions fueled by concern for Melissa’s injuries released regardless, hiding her anguish in Melissa’s stomach. The wounded brunette could only stroke her friend’s hair, its once lovely texture ruined by overnight melancholy. Melissa wore a bright smile, happy to see Shaoshao alive.

“Are we awake now?” A new voice entered the room, both eyes on the man dressed in doctor’s attire carrying a clipboard. He was an older caucasian gentleman bearing two diagonal scars across his right eye. Quite intimidating, despite his pleasant smile.

“Dr. Primerson,” Melissa commented on his arrival, waving her left hand again.

“I hope I wasn’t interrupting anything,” the doctor said, taking a seat on her bed. 

“Uh….” Shaoshao quickly wiped off any traces of her tears, clearing her throat and shaking her head. “No, no, you came at the right time! I was just thinking about coming to get you.”

“Sure you were~,” Melissa teasingly expressed, much to Shaoshao’s dismay.

“Well, since I’m already here, I bring you good news,” Primerson flipped a page on his clipboard. “Your injuries weren’t terribly serious, so you’ll likely be discharged by tonight. I do recommend, however, that you take things easy once you’re out. I’ll even proscribe you painkiller medication, should you require them.”

“That’s great news, Doc. I think you’ve just made my day,” Melissa felt excitement fill her heart. “Isn’t that great, Lilly?”

“Yeah, totally, congratulations. Now will you stop calling me lily?” Shaoshao kindly asked, still annoyed at her nickname.

“Hmm….” The brunette pondered on her suggestion, then wore a snarky smile. “Nope!”

“I hate you.”

“I love you too, Lily!”

“Agh….”

Dr. Primerson stood up, heading to the door. “I’ll leave you two alone. Should you require anything, my nurses will attend to your needs.”

“Awww, don’t go, Oliver! We miss you already,” Melissa brazenly used his first name. “Stay a little longer?”

“Unfortunately, Miss Faireborn, a higher power requires my attention. And you know what they say, ‘there’s more to me than meets the eye’. Until then, ladies,” the good doctor swiftly left the room, back to his medical duties.

“That is the worst catchphrase ever created,” Shaoshao pointed out. 

“I know, but it’s so hot when he says it,” Melissa blushed at her remark. “T-That’s not weird to say, right?”

“What, you thinking his voice makes you wet or you having the hots for him?” Shaoshao asked wearing a sly grin, leaning back in her chair.

“Uh…..both?” Melissa guessed.

“Nope, not at all. It suits lovely and nutty wild ones like you.”

“Lily, you jerk.”

“Now you know how I feel, now stop calling me lily!”

(Melissa’s house) 


Skyquake laid dead in a pool of his own oil, which seeped into the dry rocky soil. His body occasionally had packs of birds perch on his back wings, some even defecating for relief. It eventually turned into a regular relief spot, making his whole body whiter than icy snow and stinker than cattle manure. 

While that unfortunate occurrence occurred, an unknown car silently approached the property, crunching rocks under its tires. It was a golden sports car modeled like the 1987 Chevrolet Corvette, black-tinted windows concealing the interior. It stopped near Skyquake’s corpse, smoke billowing out its exhaust.

Then out of complete randomness, its sleek body shifted parts around, panels exposing alien circuitry and gears. The front wheels were detached by two large appendages, both sporting them on the forearms. The seats folded down, and the dashboard spun around for storage. All the windows and windshield pushed inward, allowing the whole roof to rotate 180’ into the body. The car’s front half split into two, folding back then downward to become a backpack of sorts. Meanwhile, the rear half rotated around to reveal purple thighs, also folding out the feet which made way for the rear wheels and split bumper to nicely tuck away into the legs.

What resulted was a large blocky mechanoid, sporting dark purple on its thighs, chest, head, the latter containing twin blue eyes and a faceplate with double riveted lines on both ends.

“HQ, this is Motorhead,” the robot tapped into his head comms. “I found Skyquake, badly hurt and possibly dead. Requesting a ground bridge and medical attention.”

He hung up, walking over to the fallen Decepticon. The bird perched there flew off, leaving only their white stained dung. Using his left hand, he grabbed Skyquake’s right wing then flipped his body on its back. A loud thud echoed around him, scaring more birds in the surrounding trees. 

Motorhead examined the Predator leader, finding a hole where his E-stone chamber laid. Judging by the hole’s length and width, it can be assumed that some kind of bladed weapon was used. At least he assumed as much, based on his experience with CQC.

“What the slag happened to you, pal?” He asked, receiving no answer.

Silence continued its temporary reign, then overthrown by a green swirling portal being opened near their location. Out came two Decepticons holding a metal stretcher, who carefully lifted Skyquake onto it. Oil dripped from his body during the extraction, leaving a blackish trail right into the portal itself. 

Once the portal closed following Skyquake’s retrieval, Motorhead scanned the nearby house missing its roof. His thermal scanner compiled data on the home’s owner, or rather owners as it belonged to a family. The Faireborns, to be exact.

They included the patriarch and matriarch David and Allison Faireborn, and their daughter Melissa. The former two currently reside in Germany, while the latter remained here. 

Interesting. How very interesting.

Motorhead transformed into his corvette mode, speeding off towards Melissa’s current location: Primerson’s Clinical Center.

(Primerson’s Clinical Center)


“Hi there, girls!” A skinny nurse knocked on the door to Melissa’s room, entering with a smile. “Is everything alright, miss Faireborn? Are you feeling any better?”

“I feel much better now, yeah,” Melissa spoke, able to breathe normally now. “My back still hurts, though.”

“Just sit tight until tonight, sweetie. We’re currently getting your prescription ready,” the nurse explained. “Dr. Primerson also notified your parents on your condition, so no need to worry there.”

“Oh….” Melissa uttered, feeling relieved yet anxious on what they’ll say. “Thanks for that, I guess. Sooner or later, they had to know.”

“Hey, come on. They’re family, so of course they should’ve know,” Shaoshao chimed in, rubbing her friend’s shoulder.

“Yeah,” the brunette replied, swallowing her spit. “I know.”

“Alright, I’ll be here if you need anything, so feel free to push the red button. I’ll come back later to….” The nurse was rudely interrupted by outside noises, sounds of revving engines and people screaming.

“What the hell?” Shaoshao got off her chair, walking to the blindfolded window. Once she unveiled them to let the sunlight through, a golden corvette was spotted doing donuts near the clinic’s front parking lot, scaring off visitors and former patients. 

“Is that guy nuts!?” The eastern beauty commented on the outgoing insanity, which abruptly ended as two police vehicles entered the view. 

Suddenly, the golden corvette converted into a humanoid robot, backflipping once before landing on its feet. Its blue eyes illuminated for dramatic effect.

“Oh my god….” The nurse uttered, stunned at what she saw. 

“No…” Shaoshao muttered, relieving last night’s fear as she steps away from the window. “Not now. Why now, goddamn it, why now!?”

“Lily?” Melissa saw her friend breathing rapidly again, putting a hand on her shoulder. “Lily, it’s okay. We’re gonna get outta here now. Stay with me, it’ll be alright.”

“I……I-I-I-I-I’m sorry, Melissa. I……can’t seem to move my legs,” Shaoshao replied, seeing the large robot pull out a rifle, aiming directly at them.

The nurse grew frightened, running away at full speed. Melissa held her terrified friend close, fiery eyes starring at their gigantic enemy. 

But then, it lowered its gun. Instead it turned around, firing at its surroundings. First the police cars, all neighboring buildings, and finally any unfortunate bystanders each got up in a hailstorm of bullets, a pile of casings dropping down near its feet. 

Melissa only held lily tighter, gritting her teeth in pain from her back. Nevertheless, she never let go.

Until the robot again turned towards them, using its right index finger to flick the glass barrier open. Clear shards scattered like pellets, one of them cutting Melissa’s right cheek. A blood trail flowed down, droplets landing on Shaoshao’s face.

“Melissa Faireborn?” It spoke, aiming his rifle at them.

“Who’s asking?” The brunette questioned him, unafraid of any incoming threats.

Motorhead, Race Track Patrol,” he introduced himself, reaching out inside with his free hand. “You’re coming with me, sweetheart.”


“Back off, gear-head! I’m not going anywhere with you!” Melissa spat out, keeping her friend close. 

“Suit yourself,” Motorhead armed his left index finger, releasing an enormous wire that wrapped around the duo. 

He reeled them in, tuning out the harsh screams from Shaoshao. Once more, he fired his rifle, destroying the clinic along with its inhabitants. Motorhead then transformed, speeding off with his hostages in tow.

HQ, this is Motorhead. Prepare a ground bridge at this location. Over and out,” He transmitted through his comms, watching Shaoshao have a panic attack from his rear view mirror. Melissa simply held her tight, hushing the scared little girl.

(One hour later)


“No….” Dr. Primerson watched the firefighters spray his burning clinic, dropping the bags of supplies onto solid concrete.

“This…..cannot be,” the good doctor fell to his knees, yellow eyes stuck on the ongoing horror. “How could this happen?”

“Doctor,” a new voice spoke from behind, its owner walking to Oliver’s side. An older man in police attire wearing the sheriff’s badge held out a hand, which he gladly accepted.

“Sheriff,” Oliver said, untangling his hand. “What happened here?”

“I just got here myself, so I really don’t know,” the sheriff replied, adjusting his hat. “I’m gonna have a look around, see what’s going on. I’ll let you know by then.” The sheriff walked off towards the crime scene, tipping his hat at the firefighters spraying for their lives, two more fire trucks entering the scene.

And Oliver just stood by and watch. He watched his entire life burn down in a matter of seconds, taking countless lives with it. And all he can do was watch. 

Such a disgusting act of cruelty had a motive, and he needed to find out why. Either with or without police, the monster responsible for this…..


Must. Pay. Dearly.


“Dr. Primerson!” Someone ran towards the entranced doctor, which snapped him out of his mind’s inner thoughts. A nurse had arrived, panting heavily and marred with charcoal marks. Thankfully, she didn’t get burnt.


“Nurse Ramsey,” the doctor spoke, eyes trembling with emotions. “Are you….al-?”


“I’m sorry, sir!” She blurted out, interrupting him. “I couldn’t do anything to stop it. I….I just ran away while it took Melissa and Lily!”


“What?” The doctor put his hands on her shoulders. “Miss Faireborn and Shaoshao were kidnapped? By who?”


“I don’t know, sir! It looked like some….some giant robot,” she answered under stress, shocking her superior. 


“Giant robot?” The doctor pulled back, eyes frozen at her explanation. “No…..it cannot be.”

“Sir?” The nurse watched Oliver bear a stunned expression, as if old memories resurfaced inside. Until he gulped his sorrow away, now sporting a hardened look filled with determination. 

“Nurse,” Oliver picked up the dropped supplies, handing it to Ramsey. “Go on ahead without me. I have something else to do.”

“Huh!? But sir, that’s-!”

“I promise I’ll be back,” he assured her to little effect. “You’re in charge here until then. Now go.”

“Y…..Yes, sir.” She relented, running back to treat any wounded recovered. 

Oliver walks away from the scene, pulling out his phone for a quick call. “Roller, requesting transportation at my coordinates. Urgency level: one.”

His body was instantly engulfed by white light, removing him from sight completely. 

(Unknown)


Oliver stared at the cave entrance, dusting any dirt from his arrival. He walks through the open space, leading him down a compact tunnel. 

“I should’ve known then,” he lamented to himself. “I should’ve known that Decepticons never quit since Megatron’s demise.”

And now he knows. Tragic.

Oliver reaches the end, finding a large structure awaiting him. A base made up of a truck trailer, which included a comm station, repair bay, and armory. And the crown jewel of it all was the large humanoid robot lying on its back in the middle. 

A red and blue machine outfitted with beefier armor on its legs, forearms, and chest region, alongside gigantic upside down wings on its back. The head had two protruding antennas on each side angled upward, twin yellow eyes, and polished faceplate. 

Oliver runs over to the base, taking the front ramp leading into it. He climbs onto the robot, standing above its gray chest. 

“I swore a promise eons ago,” Oliver said, removing his white coat. “A promise that has kept me here since my reawakening.”

His tie was next, loosening it till it finally came off. “I swore to become this world’s guardian. To protect it from threats, both Cybertronian and beyond.”

Third, his brown vest was unbuttoned, tossed aside on the ground. “And I shall fulfill my promise once more. Cybertron may have been lost…”

His dress shirt too was unbuttoned, revealing a hidden Autobot insignia. “But I, Optimus Prime, will always uphold the freedom of all sentient beings. From today, tomorrow, and onward!”

The insignia glowed a bright crimson light, engulfing Optimus’ whole body till he became a red streak of light, which traveled around the cave until it headed for the lifeless robot and integrated itself within. 

Bolts of red lightning sparked across the mechanized form, its bright yellow eyes shining on after so long.

Prime, having returned to his own body, arose off the platform. With his clenched fists and igniting feet rockets, he blasted a hole in the rocky ceiling, leading him outside into an emerging rainstorm. But getting wet didn’t matter.

“You picked the wrong planet, Decepticons,” he said to himself. “Wherever you are, whatever you are, whoever you are, I WILL find you. 

And when I do….when we finally meet again…..I will RIP out your souls. 

This is MY world, and no one shall destroy it.”

1