Day -4: A Convenient Opportunity
58 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What is this, honey?"

"What is what?"

"Why is there a Terran ship sitting in our courtyard?" Levro and his father stared blankly as trunk after trunk of stuff, his mother's stuff, was taken from the Terran ship and into the palace. "And where did all of that stuff come from?"

"The girls and I spent some time in Mehmed's Grand Bazaar and bought a few things." By 'the girls' she meant Levro's sisters, Elc and Tima. "Most of it was in the clearance section, so it wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be!"

"So we went back to get more!" Tima seemed ecstatic about the ordeal, while a drowsy Elc kept herself upright by tugging on her mother's sleeve.

". . . how much did it cost?"

"I made sure to use the allowance you gave us before we headed back!"

Bahn sighed whilst Levro almost had his soul leave his body. Mehmed's Grand Bazaar was the Terran commercial center in the Sanctum, an insane mercantile complex replete with almost every good the Terran crown authorized for export. These Terran goods were naturally quite expensive given the practical monopoly the Terrans held, especially the line of women's clothing and accessories designed by the Empress herself. Even if it was on sale, a Terran product was going to cost a pretty penny, and Leaza had spent every single penny she had.

"That's . . . nevermind. Even if you had all this, I can't imagine they would fly you back because of that. Why did they come?"

"Oh! That! I won a raffle!"

""A raffle?""

"Um, perhaps I should explain?" Kathy stepped in, probably out of a desire to defuse the situation before it blew up.

"Please do Miss . . ."

"Kathy."

". . . Kathy. Please explain why this raffle thing means there is now a Terran vessel in my yard."

"How much would you like me to explain?"

"All of it, if possible." Bahn seemed to be enraptured by the sheer volume of things his wife had bought.

"As you wish. A raffle is like a lottery, one ticket out of a box is selected, with the biggest difference being that someone can buy more tickets to increase their odds of winning. In this case, tickets were not purchased directly but instead earned through the purchase of specific items we have been trying to clear out of our stores. I don't think it should be surprising given the number of items your wife has returned with, but her chances of winning the raffle were quite a bit larger than our average customer."

"So, uh, what did she win?" Levro hoped it was money, preferably more than she spent in the first place.

"Your mother - she is your mother, yes? - won an all-inclusive, all-expenses paid vacation to Nectar, our capital planet. Initially we planned for only one or two people to be included in this trip, however we came to the decision that a vacation of this length would probably be best given to the family as a whole rather than just a couple. As such, I have come to formally invite you."

Levro and his father exchanged a wary glance, Leaza giving the both of them an expectant stare.

"H-how much is this going to cost us?"

"Oh, it won't cost you a thing. We were and are fully prepared to eat the expenses involved with the trip, even if they are far in excess of the revenue generated from the sale in question. That isn't to say we don't expect anything in return, but it isn't anything monetary or materiel."

"What is it you want, then?" Levro was confused. They were prepared to take a massive financial hit for nothing materiel in return? 

"We would like to receive feedback and suggestions on how we can refine and improve the vacation experience for future customers, as well as the right to use your image in future campaigns advertising the service. If you would like some form of monetary compensation for the latter, we would be more than happy to provide. We understand people put a price on their privacy and image."

That was just about the most Terran thing Levro had ever heard. He and his family were basically being asked if they were alright with being paid to give their thoughts about something. Maybe it was a ploy to sucker them into more 

"When did you get into this vacation business?" Bahn, someone at least vaguely familiar with Terran culture, had never seen such a service offered by other nations, let alone the Terrans.

"Vacations, as a business, have been quite common internally for about sixty years now. Ever since the average family has had a sizeable disposable income at their, well, disposal, they have wanted to explore their home planet and others in order to experience new things and physically distance themselves from the places they associate with work and stress. As a matter of fact, such practices were promoted by Empress Diana for a period of time as a means of stimulating economic growth and the spread of cultural practices in locations that had not yet been urbanized. It was only a handful of years ago that she proposed a similar service be provided to the wealthier individuals living abroad that may have a need for it, and we have recently determined that we are ready to invite the preliminary round of guests."

"Who are these guests?"

"Most of them are friends of the royal family or business partners of The Imperial Standard. A handful, such as yourself, were selected at random in order to see what a more average customer's response would be. Naturally, the selection we have in store for you is markedly larger than what we expect a normal vacation to consist of, but you will also have less time to experience each destination than if you had planned for, say, a week in a single place."

"So we'll be rushed around? That doesn't seem very relaxing!" Leaza decided that this, of all things, was what she should complain about.

"Of course not, Lady Leaza. You are more than welcome to take your time with or not participate in certain activities. There is just so much to do and see that we cannot have you in one place for too long."

Levro just couldn't wrap his mind around the method of repayment. There had to be more to it.

"Can we please go Bahnny?" Leaze had wrapped her arms around Bahn's chest and was giving him puppy-dog eyes. "I won it for us, and its free!"

"Maybe you and the girls can go, but I have stuff to do." Bahn kissed his wife on the forehead (to Elc's displeasure) before addressing Kathy. "My apologies, but I am simply too busy to make it."

"Ignore him, dear." A voice from behind. "He may be king, but he's still a moron. The five of you will go on this Terran vacation."

"What?" "Grampa!!!"

The responses of Bahn and his daughters were drastically different. 

"What do you mean? I have to oversee the management of my new territories! I can't do that without being here."

"You also can't do it without a head." Gramps hobbled around his son and embraced his granddaughters. "Miss Kathy, what is the likelihood that any of my family will be assassinated while in Terran territory?"

"We can guarantee his absolute safety, sir. The law states that any individuals found to harbor malicious intentions towards any of our guests or citizens and act on them are to be tortured for information and then executed. Sanctions are then placed on the country responsible for said individual unless fault cannot reasonably be placed at their feet."

"See? You'll be safe there. I'll get a handle on everything in the mean time."

"Then I'll stay behind as well." Levro made up his mind on the matter. "I feel I still need to earn my place as successor, and grandfather's tutelage will be valuable towards that end."

"Oh no, no you don't! You're going right along with him, you hear me?" Lev was shocked by how quickly his grandfather turned on him. "I said you needed to relax, and this is the perfect opportunity for you to do so!"

"Gramps, how am I ever going to-"

"I'll figure it out! I already said I'll figure it out."

"But-"

"No buts! You are going!"

"Dad I-"

"You too! Both of you are going on vacation, vacation!"

- - - - -

Levro scowled at his trunk, the one he barely had the time to unpack before being told to throw everything back in there again. Everything of note was in there once more, clothes, weapons, emergency supplies, and some choice accessories.

knock knock

"Lev?"

"Come in." His grandfather did not owe him the courtesy, already having assumed the role of acting regent, but it was appreciated regardless.

"Are you almost packed up?"

"I wonder why I even unpacked in the first place." His grandfather didn't respond, a sign he was making his signature 'that didn't answer my question' face. "Yeah, I'm packed. What are you here for?"

"I wanted to check on you."

"You already know how I'm doing."

"And it doesn't help to make sure." Levro bit his lip. He wasn't about to reject his grandfather's compassion, but it sure as hell hurt to receive it. He gestured to a sofa, one of the many in his room. "I want you to make the most of this trip, Lev."

"I agree. Getting on the Terrans' good side should be a priority."

"You know that's not what I meant." Levro took a seat on his bed, facing his grandfather. "I do genuinely want you to enjoy yourself. You . . . haven't been given the life that a child deserves. Every day, you pushed yourself, sometimes to an unreasonable degree."

"You were the one who pushed me to."

"And for that I apologize. I had thought that maybe, just maybe, you would find life easier if you were a bit better at everything than I was. Now though? Now is probably the last chance you will ever get to enjoy yourself without worry. I don't want you to lose it because of some bogus advice I gave you thirteen years ago. This is your youth, kid, what's left of it at least. Cherish it."

"How do you expect me to do that when there is so much to do? I get that you are a capable man, but this seems like a bit too much for you. You're old now, old enough that even I might be able to eke out a win against you. How are you going to handle all of this without me or dad here to help?"

"Your concern is appreciated, Lev. It really is." His grandfather took a deep breath. "I am old, I'll admit it. I don't have much time left. Hell, I might die before you guys get back. However, something I am not is a normal man. I have connections, more than I would like to admit, and I feel I am owed more than enough favors to get the help I need. I . . . don't exactly have the time left to use them for myself, and I would hate to die with someone in my debt."

"You plan to trade your prestige for money?" Lev's grandfather was a proud man, prouder than any other he knew. To do something like this was heartbreaking. "Are we really in that bad of a spot?"

"We might be, we might not be. I won't know until I get a full situation report from the ministers, but I have learned to prepare for the worst. And I don't plan on trading prestige for money, only for the means to solve our money problems. A favorable trade deal is not money in and of itself, and it has the potential to benefit both parties. Besides, the money isn't my main concern at this point."

"It isn't?"

"No. If things got really bad, the Terrans would come to offer us a loan with favorable terms."

"What? Wouldn't that be a lot of money?"

"It would, and though it might be hard to repay, it would be plausible. Instead I have decided to put my focus on, well, you."

"Me? What do you mean?"

"I've given a lot to Bahn, every father should do so for their son, but I feel he has failed to do the same for you. He has tried, believe me he has tried, but there is a disconnect between what he thinks you need-"

"And what I actually need."

"Such as a good wife, a good queen. A few friends of mine should have daughters or granddaughters around your age. I'm sure a few of them are unmarried or otherwise widowed. Failing that, I believe they should at least know someone that fits the bill. The girl I end up with for you might not be the prettiest or most influential or provide the most powerful military ally, but I am certain I can pull some strings to find someone with the proper character to be your wife."

". . . you'd go so far?"

"Further if necessary. It's the least I could do." The two men sat in silence, both feeling acutely aware of their own mortality. "Regardless, I expect you to uphold your end of the deal, okay?"

"I promise I'll try to relax. I'll do it for you."

"Heh, brat."

3