Chapter 143 Final Arrangements
264 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While I was pondering what else I could do to get ready, I heard the conversation between Tide and Flood finish up. I quickly wrapped up my foraging and returned to the fire. Tide looked pensive but not rejected. Not able to clearly figure out what her facial expression meant, I hazarded the question, “Flood, are you willing to stay here with Emily?”

 

Flood hesitated and Tide filled that small delay. “She agreed….” Flood gave Tide what was obviously a meaningful look but since I did not listen to their conversation I could not glean the meaning behind her eyes. After a little hesitation on Tide’s part this time, she continued. “But she had a condition.” It seemed I had to give a nod for her to continue. “When we return from the village, she wants to have some time to talk with you. She wants to hear more about your past.”

 

It was my turn to hesitate. I had no reason to not talk to her about my past, so that was not the problem. It was more a question of why she would want that. And also, more importantly, “I do not think we will have much time to talk once we return. At most we would have one night. I fear my friends will be very weak and we will need to hurry them home.” Flood looked disappointed at my words. But I was not going to let her help get away without trying. “I could come back in a year or two once I have managed to settle things in my woods.”

 

She pondered for a moment before she replied, “How about I follow you then? I think it would be good for me to explore a little.” Flood’s offer to follow surprised me greatly. Wasn’t this the naiad that did not even want to leave the banks of her river?

 

I wanted to accept the offer but there was one thing I needed to confirm first. “It would be several weeks' journey for you with no notable bodies of water. Are you able to handle that?”

 

I was doubting that she would be up to that sort of journey. From the look on her face it seems she did not have confidence in her ability either. But her face did not stay darkened for long. “Then Tide can just show me the way and we can talk at your home.”

 

“Yes! Let's do that.” Tide immediately agreed with that plan with a big grin. If I did not know any better I would think that they had planned this from the start. But I saw no way around this and gave them a nod of consent while groaning inside.

 

Seeing that I agreed, Tide said, “Then let’s get heading. It seems that those three who are coming are ready.”

 

I looked over to see that indeed Leafia, Istan and Gray were waiting for us to set out. “We should talk to Terra one more time before we leave. See if there is anything she is willing to tell us.”

 

As I said her name the dirt near my feet began to swirl and  started to form Terra’s body. Had she been listening for me to call her name? Terra looked around at us, blinking a few times in the bright morning sun. The clear skies were a blessing to me. The only thing that would strengthen my power further was if the air would warm up more. It was just above freezing right now but I did not think it would ever get truly warm today. 

 

While I was reminiscing about my luck today, Terra turned to Tide and said, “I see you made it in time. And,” she turned to Flood, “I do not think that I have met you. I am Terra, the great spirit of the earth.”

 

“Flood,” she said, appearing nervous or unsure on how to greet Mother Earth. 

 

Terra simply smiled at her, “It is nice to meet you Flood. Don’t worry about this Maximus person. I am confident in Tide and Laurel’s abilities. They are more than capable of keeping you safe.” I guess Terra was thinking that Flood’s nerves were about facing Maximus and not having to do with facing herself. Should I take comfort in the fact that I am not the only one that people seem to freeze up around?

 

“Um. I am not going to the town.” Flood responded with some hesitation still evident in her voice. “I am going to be watching the camp with her.” Her finger pointed to Emily who was still scrubbing at the pot. The discordant scraping noise was the only thing marring the bright morning. Well, that and us being about to go fight for the freedom of my friends. 

 

“I was not expecting you to stay back, Emily.” Terra looked to Emily in surprise. I noticed Emily’s hand instinctively went to her belly as she was reminded of why she was staying behind. After a moment's pause, Terra seemed to understand with just the gesture and supplied a simple, “Oh.”

 

The conversation died and it was clear that no one really knew what to say after that. However, not wanting to waste this bright morning sun in fear that the weather might turn as the day progressed, I asked, “Anything we need to know before we set off today?”

 

“Your friends seem to be at the center of a fort or some separate walled off area on the north side of the town. Beyond that it is up to you. And no.” Terra added that last part turning to Tide. “I absolutely refuse to come with you. If I were to use my powers most of the town would be obliterated. Though I do think I might stay here for a little while. It seems like Emily needs some congratulations and I want to get to know Flood.” 

 

Knowing that I was not going to get anything more out of Terra, I stood up trying to remember if I thought of anything else I needed to grab while we were in camp. Tide, on the other hand, hesitated for a moment before she too decided that Terra had already done all that she was comfortable with. 

 

Once I realized that there was nothing more that I needed to bring, I looked to Leafia, Istan, and Gray. Tide stood by them now as well. “Are you ready to go?”

 

The only response I got was a stiff nod but I could not blame them for that. I turned to Flood and Emily as Terra walked over to join them. “I hope to be back before dark. If I send you a maple seed, prepare the horses to get ready to go, we might need to leave in a hurry.” Seeing the look on Istan’s face, I interrupted his impending question. “I think we should leave them here so we do not need to figure out what to do with them once we get to the town.” Then giving Terra, Flood and Emily a smile, I said, “Be safe.”

 

“Bye bye, now,” Terra said, waving us off. 

 

“Good luck storming the castle!” Emily added with her own wave.

 

Sorry about the last line I just could not resist throwing that in.

Good news the entirety of the big release is already with Editor-sama. Even better she is already starting to work on it. Bad news this is it until I am finished with the big push. I would love to get it up soon but... life? 

8