Chapter 82: The Paradox
9 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before she could react, Sero pushed Amaya out of the way as the cultists swarmed them. However, it didn't seem like they were interested in her as they thrust their black energy blades into Sero's body. 

Amaya could only watch in horror as Sero screamed with pain, the Culling members piercing his body over and over again. His blood stained the ground, mixing with the tears that streamed down her own face. She wished she could do something, anything, but there was nothing she could do. The same despair she felt when she watched Malice gut Sero threatened to overwhelm her, and she fought against it with every ounce of strength she had left.

Finally, the Culling members stopped their torture, stepping back as Sero fell to his knees, bleeding profusely from the gashes all across his body. His mana aura had dwindled dangerously low, and Amaya could tell he was on the verge of death again. 

Thaddeus chuckled, walking up to the Scholar with a sneer. He pulled out a small, obsidian stone sickle from within his cloak.

"And now," he hissed, "for the coup de grâce." He raised the weapon high, preparing to bring it down upon Sero's neck. "We thank the Scholar for his sacrifice. Let his death stain this blade to give us the powers he possesses." 

Without a second thought, Amaya surged forward to take the hit, her body flying through the air as the obsidian blade came down toward them. She winced in pain as it struck her shoulder, but she didn't let it stop her. Her eyes blazed with determination and fury as she landed on her feet, clutching her injured shoulder. The blade had drained a tiny portion of her energy, as if it needed its prey to be as weakened as Sero was for it to do whatever it was it could do. 

"Insolent bitch!" Thaddeus roared, his eyes narrowing. "How dare you interfere with the will of the Culling!" He raised his arms, intending to unleash a wave of dark energy, but Amaya was quick to react. She dashed forward, slipping behind him, and planting her sword against his neck.

"I am no bitch," she hissed, her voice cold and determined. "And I will not allow you to kill him or anyone else." With a swift motion, she pushed the sword harder against his throat, making it clear that she meant business. 

Thaddeus simply cackled, as if Amaya's actions were amusing to him. "You think you can bargain in this situation? Don't forget, I can very easily kill the children with one command."

Amaya's expression twisted in anger, but she didn't let it show. She kept the sword firm against his throat, her body tense and ready to strike if he made any sudden moves. "I know," she growled, "but I'm willing to take that risk. Now, let's make a deal."

"Amaya... it's ok..." Sero croaked hoarsely as his eyes became unfocused. "Stop what you're doing."

Amaya closed her eyes, fighting back tears as she felt the weight of her decision. With a deep breath, she opened her eyes and pressed the blade of her sword harder against Thaddeus's neck. "Let them go, Thaddeus. Let them all go, and you can have me."

"Amaya... no..."

"Why would we ever want you?" Thaddeus scoffed. "We only need the Scholar. Besides, I think I’ve let you go on for long enough." 

Before Amaya could react, Thaddeus snapped his fingers, emitting a black electrical aura that zapped her, sending her flying back a few steps. The Culling members closed in, surrounding her, their black blades ready to strike if she made any moves to attack again. Amaya struggled to stand, her body numb from the shock.

"Pathetic," Thaddeus sneered. "I had hoped for more resistance from you. It seems you truly are nothing but a foolish child, willing to throw your life away for a man who will soon be dead." He gestured to the Culling members, and they advanced on Sero, gripping his arms and holding him in place.

Amaya desperately willed her body to move, but it felt like every muscle was on fire. She managed to push herself up onto her hands and knees, her sword clattering to the ground as she did so. She couldn't let them hurt Sero anymore. She had to do something.

"Sero, why aren't you doing anything?" Amaya screamed, her voice hoarse from the effort. "You're the one who always finds a way out of things! You always pull through!" She struggled to stand, her muscles burning with the effort. "Sero, please..."

"Amaya...." Sero's voice was barely audible, his eyes heavy. "How much... do you believe?"

"I believe in you, Sero," she gasped, her voice strained. "I believe that you can stop this."

The Scholar smiled weakly. "I don't... think I'm the one... you should believe in right now." 

Before Amaya could ask him what he meant, there was a shattering boom as the barrier above them collapsed, revealing the night sky. A figure plummeted through the darkness, landing gracefully on the ground beside them. The Culling members that surrounded Amaya and Sero quickly moved to protect Thaddeus, who seemed mildly surprised at the intrusion.

"Who. Hurt. My. Bookworm?" Kit's words were clipped, each syllable precise and cold.

"Ah, the Paradox," Thaddeus sneered, though he seemed slightly off-put. "But, it seems as if you've arrived a little too late."

Without a word, Kit turned and knelt next to Sero, whose breathing was becoming labored. She pulled him into her arms, murmuring softly in his ear as a white aura glowed around them. The Scholar sighed painfully before he lost consciousness. 

"Amaya, please watch over Sero," Kit laid Sero gently on the ground as she stood up. "I'll take care of Culling."

"You can't fight all of them alone, Kit!" Amaya protested as she ran to Sero's side, pulling him into her arms. "Not while they have a hostage!"

"This boy?" Kit asked calmly, pointing to the child next to them who, mere moments ago, had been in the clutches of the Culling. The boy had a bewildered expression as he realized where he was. "I think he's safe for now." 

Thaddeus's smirk faltered, but only for a moment. "You are definitely strong," he muttered. "But you're still outnumbered."

"I wonder. Do numbers mean anything before a paradox?" Kit asked, a calm and deadly rage flickering in her glowing mismatched eyes.

Without waiting for a reply, she took a step forward and vanished, reappearing behind one of the Culling members. With a snap, the surrounding Culling members disappeared without a trace, their shadows vanishing into nothingness. Thaddeus's eyes widened in disbelief as he realized what had happened. "What... what sorcery is this?" he stammered.

"Cat Paradox," Kit replied, her usual humorous answer now a deadly serious threat. The Culling members who had been standing close to her were nowhere to be seen, their very being having been erased from existence.

Thaddeus recovered from his shock, a malicious smile blooming across his face. "No matter, Paradox. You may have prevented the Scholar's death, but we have already claimed what we needed."

He snapped his fingers, conjuring a portal behind him as the rest of the Culling members surged towards the group. However, in the blink of an eye, the portal snapped shut and all of the cultists save for Thaddeus disappeared.

"What?" 

Thaddeus seemed shocked, snapping his fingers over and over to no avail. "How are you this powerful?" The Culling leader hissed at Kit. "We were told that the more people within your presence, the harder it would be for your skills to work!"

Kit chuckled humorlessly, her mismatched eyes narrowing as they glowed white with power. "Oh, they were right about that," she replied, taking a step forward. "It does get harder with more people around. But, I hope you didn't forget that the strength of one's will is the deciding factor for my abilities. It helps that you guys don’t expect it, either."

As Kit spoke, the air around her shifted, her presence becoming almost palpable. Thaddeus paled, realizing that he had underestimated the Paradox. "No matter. Even if we did not factor encountering an S-rank elite here, our plans will still proceed."

"Seems like you're a talker," Kit replied, blinking out of existence to appear before him. "Good thing, because you're going to tell me everything."

"Those to be culled, have failed–" 

Thaddeus’s eyes suddenly rolled back as he slumped to the ground, unconscious. Amaya shivered as she realized that Kit had forcefully knocked him out without any effort. She glanced down at Sero in her lap, who had his eyes closed and his breathing stable. His wounds, while still apparent, had stopped bleeding. It seemed as though staunching the blood was all Kit could manage for now. 

"He should be fine," Kit assured, her gaze lingering on Sero before returning to Amaya. "But we should probably get him some medical attention soon." The Paradox turned her attention to the crying boy. "What’s your name, kid?" 

The boy sniffled, wiping his nose on his sleeve as he took in choking breaths. "T-Thomas."

"Well, Thomas," Kit said gently, kneeling down to be at his eye level, "I’m sorry for all the scary stuff that happened here. It won’t happen to you again, I promise." 

The boy looked at her uncertainly, tears still clinging to his eyes. "What about… that man?" he asked, his voice shaking as he pointed at Sero.

Kit glanced at the unconscious Scholar, her expression softening further. "He'll be fine too," she assured the boy. "He's just hurt right now, but there are people who can help him get better. You'll see."

"Okay..." Thomas sniffed, wiping his nose again. Kit smiled warmly at the boy before turning back to Amaya. 

"I'm glad you texted me, Amaya. I'm also surprised that Sero didn't notify anyone," the Paradox frowned at the Scholar, concern flickering in her eyes. "I would've thought my bookworm thought this out better. Or at least learned from his experience with Malice."

"He’s changed," Amaya shook her head. "I don't know for sure, but Sero hasn't been acting like himself..." She hesitated, cradling his head in her lap. "He’s become so... cold and brutal."

Kit nodded understandingly. "I can imagine. He must be going through a lot." The Paradox took a deep breath and stood up, looking around the clearing. "We should probably gather everyone and get out of here. The Culling might send someone after us."

"Are you guys okay?" A new voice called out behind them. The trio turned to see Elizabeth, wearing what looked like futuristic white armor jogging up to them. Jack and Yelena were also with her; Jack had on silver armor with blue lights while Yelena was outfitted in black armor and red lights.

Slim and sleek, Elizabeth's armor was adorned with several intricate designs, each one glowing with a soft light. She had white, fingerless gloves, an ethereal white scarf that seemed to float around her neck, and a small diadem made of silver light that topped off her gear. Jack’s armor was just as streamlined, though his gauntlets were clawed, and he had white fur for a collar. Yelana’s armor was much bulkier, akin to a medieval knight’s, with a dense chest plate embedded with a circular red jewel.

"Elizabeth?" Amaya exclaimed, feeling a mixture of relief and surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"Sero texted me that he was at a place where the children might've been held," Elizabeth replied, taking note of the unconscious Scholar in Amaya's lap. "Is he... all right?"

Kit bristled at Elizabeth's words while Amaya felt an overwhelming sense of jealousy and anger as she realized Elizabeth was the one Sero contacted.

"He's... not doing too well," Amaya managed to choke out. "Kit came to our rescue. She managed to stop the bleeding, but... we should probably get him to a hospital."

"Right," Elizabeth nodded, turning to Jack and Yelena. "You two, secure the area." She paused, noticing Thomas and the unconscious Thaddeus a few feet away. "I'm assuming that the man passed out there is a Culling member?"

Amaya nodded. "Yes, he's the one who attacked us."

As Jack and Yelena zipped off to make sure the area was safe, Elizabeth pressed a finger to her ear, "A.R.E.S. Unit on site. Area under lockdown. No signs of hostility so far. One Culling member subdued, one injured, one hostage rescued." She turned back to Kit and Amaya. "The alliance is moving in to help sweep the area. We should take Thomas and Sero to safety, and bring in the Culling member for questioning."

Kit nodded, looking a bit relieved. "That sounds like a good plan." She knelt down next to Thomas, gently taking his hand. "Are you ready to go with us, sweetie?" The boy nodded, still sniffling, his eyes wide with fear but determined not to show it.

"Now for that Culling member–" 

Elizabeth's words were cut off as a black portal opened up next to the unconscious Thaddeus. A familiar figure stepped out, causing Kit and Amaya to stiffen with shock. 

"Ah, this is a reunion I wish was under better circumstances." 

Dr. Malek smiled dryly as he stood next to Thaddeus. Kit seemed bewildered at the sight of the doctor, but Amaya felt a surge of blinding rage within her.

"You!" she shouted, tears streaming down her face. "How could you do this?" 

Dr. Malek sighed, looking genuinely apologetic. "Amaya, I... I wish I could explain properly. But for now, there are things that need to be done. I only hope that you aren't caught up any more in this than you already have."

2