Chapter 90: Outmatched
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, you three are with Culling?" Sero asked, trying to buy time as he analyzed their abilities and combat styles. The three assassins before them seemed to be of varying strengths. The man in the black suit, Kael, appeared to be the leader, and the most powerful of the three. The woman, Tenda, seemed to be focused on range with her whips, while the masked man, Brunn, seemed to be more of a support character, keeping them alive with his magic.

Instead of answering, Kael blinked forward, appearing before Sero in an instant. Already on guard, Sero was able to react in time, blocking Kael's punch with the flat of his mana blade. 

Sero's eyes widened in surprise as he realized that Kael's arm was coated in a white bone-like armor. He was even more shocked when his body buzzed, copying the skill as 'Bonemake', which formed a protective layer of bone around the caster's body that was as strong as steel.

"Impressive," Kael murmured, a hint of respect in his voice. "You're a fighter worth having around."

Amaya leapt forward to help Sero, but was kept at bay by bolts of blood fired from Brunn. Copying 'Crimson Shard', Sero realized that Brunn could manipulate his own blood with magic. 

"Are you... are you all Ascendants too?" Sero asked, his eyes darting between the three of them. They seemed more... human than the monsters they'd faced before. Kael gave him a knowing smile.

"I always find it a little prejudiced to label humanity based on their abilities," Kael replied with a hint of annoyance, "but, yes. The three of us are Ascendants." Sero could feel the power radiating off of Kael, stronger than any of the Culling members they had encountered so far. 

"And you're with Culling?" Sero fired back, pushing against Kael's bone-covered fist. 

"Not by choice, if that's what you're wondering," Kael made a face. "Though I can't speak for Tenda and Brunn here."

"You're not the first we've encountered who thinks that," Tenda scoffed. "Look, kid, we're not here to debate the ethics of it all. We're just doing what we're told. Now, you can make this easy on yourself or we can make it hard. It's up to you."

There was a flash of white light emitting from inside the house, followed by an enormous beam of mana that fired upwards, catching Tenda in the attack. Realizing that Elizabeth had probably caught up with Sting and learned of the situation, Sero and Amaya began to engage in their respective opponents.

As Sero fought Kael, he couldn't help but feel that he was holding back. The man was too strong and too fast, almost as if he were testing Sero's strength. Moss and Lime did their best to hinder Kael, but it was almost as if he wasn't using any mana at all, his strength innate instead of manipulated by magic.

Amaya, on the other hand, was having trouble trying to get close enough to Brunn. Even though the Spellblade cycled between Fire Blasts and Lightning Bolts, Brunn seemed to always stay out of reach, keeping Amaya dancing around the endless blood shards. 

Behind them at the ruined house, Sting telepathically updated Sero on Elizabeth's fight against Tenda. Elizabeth had summoned a couple of robotic drones to combat the monsters made up of tendons and muscles that Tenda had conjured.

Sero deactivated Burning Spirit in favor of Undying Spirit, beginning to quickly overwhelm Kael as he stole mana and strength with every attack. 

"You said you needed to capture us. Why?" Sero asked, pressing his advantage as he continued to overwhelm Kael. Kael's mask seemed to flicker, as if it were made of glass, before it solidified again. He glared at Sero, his expression hardening.

"Just a job. Culling pays and we deliver." Kael's voice was harsh, betraying a hint of anger. "Nothing personal, kid. You're just in the way." As he spoke, Kael seemed to grow stronger and faster, much to Sero's surprise. A quick Perfect Analysis revealed his passive, 'Full Potential', which allowed Kael to use every part of his body without limit. It was akin to Relentless, though it seemed to also allow Kael to push his mental capacities as well. 

"How'd you know we'd be here?" Sero tried to ask a different question. 

"You didn't think the pendant left here was by accident, did you?" Kael replied without any further explanation. 

"So, this was a trap? You were counting on us to come back?" 

Kael didn't respond this time, narrowing his eyes as he increased the ferocity of his attack.

Figuring that it would be better just to read his mind, Sero decided to end the fight, casting Fairness to even their strength while emulating Relentless. In spite of the situation he was in, Sero was amazed to realize he could handle a lot more excess strength than before. Kael's eyes narrowed as he felt the shift in power, switching to a defensive stance as he tried to create distance from Sero. 

But the battle had already been won. In a flash, Sero zipped behind Kael, firing mana railguns through each of his joints. Kael roared in pain, immediately falling to the ground as his body became immobilized. Moss and Lime growled as they ran up to Kael, weakening him further as they kept watch.

"Oh shit, Kael!" Brunn shouted, trying to get away from Amaya so that he could help him. Sero turned his attention to Brunn, who kept concentrating a storm of blood projectiles at Amaya. Feeling his Rationality wash over him, Sero dashed forward, swinging his blade down and lopping off Brunn's arm.

The right arm splattered to the ground as Brunn screamed in pain, falling to one knee. "You... fucker!" he hissed through gritted teeth. Sero was about to deliver a finishing blow, ignoring Amaya's screams of protest when he felt a surge of power from the direction of the house. He turned around to see Tenda and Elizabeth locked in combat, dodging attacks from their respective summons.

Sero realized that Sting had been defeated, and Elizabeth was beginning to tire out, her white armor flickering weakly as Tenda cracked her whip against her side. Elizabeth screamed in pain, her Empress armor dispersing into white light as her robotic summons also disappeared. 

"No!" Sero shouted, ignoring Brunn as he rushed to help Elizabeth. Amaya ran towards her as well, enhancing her speed with as much mana as she could muster up. Brunn grinned maliciously, his remaining arm growing impossibly long as he flung a few blood shards at them, trying to distract the pair.

"Fuck off!" Sero roared, conjuring the Jury axe and slamming it down in the direction of Brunn. The man's eyes widened in surprise as the shockwave rushed towards him, blowing him and his attack away. Sero turned his attention back to Tenda and Elizabeth, his stomach dropping at the sight. 

One of Tenda's whips was wrapped around Elizabeth's throat, glowing with a dangerous red light. Amaya had stopped behind Sero, her sword trembling in her hand. 

"Let's all just take it easy, okay?" Tenda smiled coldly, flicking her eyes towards her fallen allies. "You two did quite a number on the boys, didn't you?"

"Let her go." Sero growled, his voice hard. "You don't want any more trouble than you already have." Tenda laughed, shaking her head.

"Ascendants like you and me are very tough, kid," Tenda sneered, tightening the whip around Elizabeth's neck. "But, regular humans? They break very easily."

Sero's grip on his mana blade tightened. "I said let her go," he growled through clenched teeth.

"Sero!" Amaya gasped behind him.

He whirled around, jaw dropping as Kael slowly rose to his feet. Beside him, Brunn scowled as he stuck his right arm into place, a black light burning around the site of attachment. It seemed as though the two men had completely recovered from their injuries. 

"What the fuck? Are they zombies?" Sero growled, his eyes flickering between Kael and Brunn.

"Ha! As if. I would've killed them a long time ago if that was the case," Tenda spat, though her body relaxed, as if she was relieved that her allies were okay. 

"Good work, Tendra," Kael nodded. "We can use her to capture these two."

Sero felt a surge of anger course through him, clashing against his Rationality. He didn't like their odds right now, and he was desperate to avoid repeating the same mistakes. "One chance, Tendra," he warned. "If you hurt her, I swear I'll kill you."

Tenda laughed, her expression mocking. "Oh, please, you couldn't even kill Kael or Brunn."

"Stop antagonizing him, Tendra," Kael stepped forward, glancing at Amaya and Sero. "We need to capture the Scholar without any more delays."

"What do you want with Sero?" Amaya stepped in front of him defensively. "Just for his abilities? Or to sacrifice?" 

"Well, they only said we needed the Scholar for his abilities, but now that you mention sacrifice..." Brunn smiled wickedly. "Kael, won't we get paid more if we take all three in?"

"S-Sero... Amaya... I-I'm sorry..." Elizabeth gasped weakly, struggling against Tendra's whips. "D-don't... surrender to them... forget me... and save yourselves..."

"Shut up, bitch!" Tendra growled, slapping Elizabeth hard across the face. "You're coming with us, whether you like it or not!"

Sero prepared to emulate Lawbreak and somehow use Cat Paradox, but Tendra tightened the whip around Elizabeth’s neck. "Stay put, Scholar. I sense any change in your mana, and this pretty girl’s neck snaps in half faster than you can blink."

Sero felt his heart sink. There was no way they could hope to win a fair fight. His mind raced, searching for an alternative, any way to save Amaya and Elizabeth. He couldn't surrender himself this time, since these people wanted to take all three of them.

"Kael," Sero said, his voice steady, "if you really want to use my abilities, I'll help you. But you need to let Amaya and Elizabeth go free."

Kael stepped up to Sero, his mask shimmering with black energy. "I admire and respect your strength, Scholar. But that's as far as my admiration goes. I don't care about your noble sacrifice for your friends or whatever."

"Then what do you care about?" Sero countered, his voice tight with desperation.

"Among other things, money is the biggest motivator for me." Kael replied evenly. "Money that I know very well you wouldn't be able to produce in such a short amount of time."

"Kael, let's just take them in already!" Brunn growled. "No point in listening to what else they have to say."

"N-no..." Elizabeth gasped weakly. "Sero, Amaya... run away.."

Sero glanced at her, his heart aching. He didn't want her to get hurt any more. He could feel Amaya's hand gripping his arm tightly, her fingers trembling with anger and fear. He looked into her eyes and saw the same determination that burned within his own heart.

"I wished we could've fought on better terms, Scholar," Kael sighed, conjuring what looked like obsidian handcuffs. "But, the job takes precedence. The three of you will come with us. Your fates will be in the hands of Culling."

With a wave of his hand, the obsidian cuffs flew towards them, clamping shut around Sero's wrists. The cuffs bit into his skin, burning with cold fire. Sero grimaced, feeling his connection to his mana forcibly cut off. Next to him, Amaya yelped as the same cuffs clamped around her wrists. Tendra leered at Elizabeth, jerking her whip down to force her on her knees.

"Don't hurt her," Sero growled, struggling against his bonds. "Just take us. She's not an Ascendant." 

"Oh, I know," Tendra purred maliciously. "It seems like she's very important to you. Is she your girlfriend or something?"

Sero bit his tongue, unable to answer her question. He sensed Amaya stiffening next to him, and couldn't face her. Elizabeth's face flushed a deep red, and she struggled harder against the whip, but it was no use. Brunn snickered, enjoying the spectacle, while Kael sighed impatiently. "Can we just get going?"

"Fine," Tendra huffed, dragging Elizabeth along with her. Kael threw a cube-like device on the ground, conjuring a dark portal similar to the ones Thaddeus and Dr. Malek had summoned before.

"Let's go, you three," Kael growled, shoving Sero and Amaya forward. They stumbled, the cold handcuffs biting into their wrists as they were forced into the darkness of the portal. Sero cursed himself for getting into situations he continuously failed to find a way out of. Even worse, he had dragged Elizabeth and Amaya with him. 

0