Chapter 7 – Beddy-byes
38 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Thanks for reading! In case you missed it, the next few chapters will be posted at this new time (8PM UTC) as an experiment.
 
I've finally figured out how to get my formatting in to scribblehub and updated all the previous chapters with it, so it's a little nicer now.

sigh

I’ve wasted hours here in the company of my own thoughts - a horrific process.

Perhaps wasted is the wrong word, I have gained two proficiencies after all. It’s just… I need 30 Ether for a cheap nights stay somewhere, so at roughly 11 an hour, it’ll take me about 3 hours of cultivation to afford it. That might not sound terrible - but I’ve already been sat here for at least that long.

Looking up, I see the two suns in the sky. They’ve definitely moved, but not as much as I would have expected - just how long is a day on Astrion? Not that it matters, I just want to snuggle up in bed! Awaahrgh!

I hate being sat here. It’s so… public - I feel exposed. I tried finding somewhere to sit that is out of the way, but still. The ever-present sensation of sand beneath me is yet another distraction that I struggle to tune out - something which certainly isn’t helping me cultivate - on top of my fidgeting.

Just a little bit longer…


> [Ether Crystal]
> Ether: 32

Finally. I lost some to the ether leech, but I finally have enough to pay for a bed for tonight - and then I get to wake up and sit in silence for hours on end to afford my next night. If it weren’t for the lack of social interaction, this might actually be worse than holding down a job. At least now I can actually sleep and I yawn can’t wait!

My body aches and creaks and my knees pop as I get up - not moving for the better part of a day will do that. I stretch as quietly as I can and leave the area without disturbing anyone else. The worst thing in the world is to be an inconvenience for people - an inconvenience that I know myself to be.

Time to check out the nearby Inn.


I stare at the sign. Oasis Inn. Beats Premier Inn I guess…

Okay Lara… no big deal. Just go in, ask for a room, hand them the crystal, and it’ll be sorted. ‘Hello, I’d like to rent a room for the night’ ‘Oh hello there! Welcome to Oasis Inn. The price is 30 Ether…’

I take a minute to plan out the scripting for this social interaction - my [Masking] skill is still active and helping, though it doesn’t do anything to reduce my anxiety.

Ready? Let’s go.

I walk in to a large white room, like the reception of a fancy hotel with marble flooring. It seems stone is a common building material around here - not many trees in the desert I suppose. I spot what appears to be the receptionist, a large reptilian man reading a book at the counter.

“Hello! I’d like to - “

“No”, he says without looking up.

OwO

The thin, fragile façade of confidence that I carefully crafted over the last 2 minutes shatters in to a million places. He didn’t even let me finish my question! This was not part of the plan, Nora. We’re going to have to go… off script.

“No?”

“No rooms”

Crap. Don’t panic! We just have to leave.

“Oh… I see. Thanks anyway” I say, heading off, but then turn at the last second.

“Do you know anywhere nearby that might have space?”

Ohmigoshwhatdaheckinghellamisayingplsjustendme

“Prized Inn, just down the street, can’t miss it.”

Oh my dog - it worked.

“Thanks!”

Hrmph, he grunts.

Rude!


“35 Ether”

What! that’ll take me another half an hour… I should have cultivated a little longer.

“Uhm, I only have 32 Ether at the moment. I don’t suppose you have any cheaper rooms?” I say to the humanoid… devil horned thing. I haven’t figured out a way to nicely ask what someone's race is, so for now that’ll have to do.

“30 Ether without breakfast” she says, equally as inattentive as the receptionist of the previous Inn. I mean I’m used to normal British customer service, but this is something else!

“Bloody nora. Okay” I say, handing over the crystal.

“Bloody nora?” she says, and looks at me confused.

“Ah… an expression from my planet, don’t worry about it.”

“Right…”. With a scowl on her face, she takes the crystal of 32 Ether, and a moment later I get a smaller crystal back, with 2 Ether inside it.

“Here’s your key. Upstairs, room 201”.

“Thanks!”.

Ugh, why did I have to say bloody nora out loud?! One new thing to add to my growing pile of awkward memories. I thought my skill was meant to help me out here?

I head up to my room. I quickly dump my backpack and look around. It’s quite a decent size, by British standards anyway. We’re used to sleeping beneath the stairs, after all. Inside is a small single bed, a desk, a chair, and wardrobe. Nothing fancy, but it’s all I need - more than I need, really.

“Nora… is that… a bathroom! They have bathrooms!!!!” :’)

SeagullSea!


After deciphering how the bathroom facilities work here, I swapped out in to the pyjamas I packed, and flop in to bed with Nora at my side.

Closing my eyes, I hear the inn around me. The floorboards creak, voices murmur in the corridor, and somewhere a door slams shut. It's mundane, everyday noise, but to me, it's a lullaby after the crazy day I've had. At least I'm alone.

I shift, trying to find a comfortable position on the bed. It's hard and lumpy, but right now, it feels like the softest place in the world. I let out a sigh, feeling the tension drain away, and check my status

Oh…

> Dexterity: 2/3
> Intelligence: 1/3
> Wisdom: 3/6
> Charisma: 1/3

I forgot! [Masking] affects my mental attributes - that must be why I’ve been struggling in the last couple of hours! Well, it said I recover by resting. Usually that would be easier said than done, but after such a long and tiring day I don’t think I’m going to struggle.

I don’t think I’ve played a game before where my attributes can go down - it’s a little weird. Does this mean I can temporarily get stupider? Like, more than I already am? I suppose that makes sense in a way… but I don’t feel that different. None of them hit 0 - is that a limitation? or did I not push myself hard enough?

What happens if they hit 0?

An experiment for another day… I’m absolutely knackered. I grab Nora with a snuggle and a squish.

noitynoitelara

Nighty Night Nora <3


"So..." Bryn begins, eyes not leaving the spot where Lara vanished, "That was weird, right?"

Loric nods, frowning slightly. "Yeah, her clothing? Never seen anything like it. And Earth? Doesn't ring any bells."

"Alone. No Ether. Bit strange, that. And I've never seen a dimensional pocket like that bag before. That's not common around here" Bryn adds, his voice tinged with curiosity.

"Must be high level or really gutsy to wander the desert solo. 'Just exploring the area' she said'" Loric muses, "Didn't want to startle her and ask questions"

"Did you scan her?"

"Of course not, no reason to make her suspect anything was wrong"

Bryn nods, "Good. Her shift in demeanor was odd too. From guarded to almost too relaxed. Weird, right?"

"Let's keep tabs on her," Loric suggests. "Inform the scouts she has an Ether Leech, they can use that; not too intrusive, just to know where she's at."

"Good call. I'll also inform Captain Elinor, see what she wants to do about it."

"And make sure the scouts are discreet. No need to spook her, just a light watch."

Bryn claps Loric on the shoulder, "Alright then. Better safe than sorry."

3