Chapter 4
55 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gu Yanfeng pushed the door open and saw Jiang Mi sitting obediently on the sofa. He hesitated for a moment.

An eighteen-year-old girl, like a just-blossomed flower, sat gracefully with a radiant charm. She was delicate but not flirtatious, stunning but not vulgar, beautiful without any aggression, pure and tranquil.

In her presence, even the air seemed to be filled with a faint fragrance.

Gu Yanfeng felt a bit awkward. How should he deal with this girl who was beyond the plan?

Jiang Mi heard the sound and raised her head, meeting Gu Yanfeng's gaze perfectly.

A warm and gentle smile quickly spread in Gu Yanfeng's eyes as he walked over and sat on the sofa beside Jiang Mi.

"Why aren't you watching TV? Isn't it boring?" Gu Yanfeng asked gently.

Before Jiang Mi could reply, the study door was opened again, and Yuan Ze walked out, his steps floating, and his expression trance-like.

He glanced in their direction, as if wanting to say something. However, after moving his lips for a while, he ultimately said nothing and turned to walk towards the door.

"Leave the keys and access card," Gu Yanfeng reminded him.

Yuan Ze trembled, took out something, hesitated for a moment, and placed it in the table before leaving.

After Yuan Ze's figure disappeared at the doorway, Gu Yanfeng turned to Jiang Mi and said, "Sorry for letting you witness that."

"No, it's okay," Jiang Mi said, feeling a bit uneasy. "He..."

She had many questions to ask but hesitated since they weren't very familiar, and she didn't dare to speak freely.

Fortunately, Gu Yanfeng seemed to understand her concerns and explained, "He was my agent, or rather, my former agent. I just fired him."

Jiang Mi had already guessed this, and she breathed a sigh of relief.

After all, she had offended Yuan Ze just now. If he continued to work around Gu Yanfeng, she would inevitably be in an awkward position.

"Yuan Ze was... someone planted around me," Gu Yanfeng continued to explain. "He hid it well, and I wasn't very sure. This time, due to the tight schedule of the crew, I couldn't take leave, so I asked him to help find a partner. It's just that he did a lot of things behind my back."

There were many implications in his words, but Jiang Mi didn't dare to dig deeper. She just comforted him, "Don't be sad. What's bad will go away, and what's good will come."

Gu Yanfeng couldn't help but smile. "I'm not sad. I'm just sorry for involving you. Now, I want to talk to you seriously."

"Sure," Jiang Mi straightened her back, trying to make herself look more mature and stable. "Also, don't feel sorry. Meeting you was my biggest surprise. Of course, I don't think I'm your ideal match. You can cancel this engagement. However, my parents aren't very reasonable, and the money you gave might not be easy to get back... Well, maybe you can try using force."

Even though there was still a hint of childishness on her face, and she was wearing clothes with a small rabbit design, she insisted on speaking in an adult tone. Seeing her like this, Gu Yanfeng's mood improved somewhat.

"If you go back, will your parents..." he began to ask.

"Don't worry, they can't possibly kill me anyway," Jiang Mi pinched her fingertips in nervousness. "They will probably, still want to sell me for money, but they don't dare to hit my face."

Gu Yanfeng frowned slightly and said, "I promised you that I would help you move your household registration."

"Huh?" Jiang Mi looked at him in surprise. "Didn't you want to cancel the engagement with me?"

After a brief moment of contemplation, Gu Yanfeng admitted, "My relationship with my family is not good. They wanted me to marry, so I needed an unmarried woman."

At the engagement banquet, Gu Yanfeng's family did not appear. There was only one director and a few colleagues from the company among the male guests.

The original book also mentioned that Gu Yanfeng had a very bad relationship with his family.

But what Gu Yanfeng said now seemed a bit contradictory.

Don't talk about anything else. If it's just acting, is it necessary to spend more than eight million to "buy" an unmarried wife?

Given Gu Yanfeng's status, it should be easy for him to find someone to act with him, right?

Why insist on a financial transaction?

It's probably related to the so-called hidden ailment, but it's not clear what specific ailment it is.

Gu Yanfeng doesn't say, and Jiang Mi felt she shouldn’t press him.

She has no relatives or connections in this strange world, and she is still a cannon fodder with a high probability of accidental death.

So, she needs a big shot who can protect her, and Gu Yanfeng is undoubtedly the best choice.

Everything has two sides. High returns come with high risks. Jiang Mi certainly knows that if Gu Yanfeng can spend more than eight million, this hidden ailment is definitely not simple, but she is willing to take a chance.

"What requirements do you have for your fiancée?" Jiang Mi asked.

"I don't have any requirements, but my family may not respect her, and she may suffer a lot of grievances," Gu Yanfeng said, "Of course, I will stand by her side."

Jiang Mi: "That's nothing."

If she returns to the original owner's family, there will be even more grievances.

Gu Yanfeng: "So, what do you mean?"

Jiang Mi decisively said, "If you don't mind, choose me. After all, we've already had an engagement banquet."

Gu Yanfeng: "Are you sure?"

Jiang Mi: "Of course!"

"Okay." Gu Yanfeng agreed without much thought, "Give me your account."

Jiang Mi was stunned, "What?"

"The gift I'm giving is 8.88 million. Your parents have 5 million in their hands, and I'm sure they won't give it to you. I won't give them the rest." Gu Yanfeng explained.

Jiang Mi didn't expect to receive money and was a bit caught off guard. "You don't need the money, right? I'll live in your house, eat yours, use yours, be taken care of by you... How can I still take money?"

"That is that and gift money is gift money, two different things." Gu Yanfeng insisted.

Jiang Mi sighed, "I don't have an account."

Yes, the original owner was tightly controlled by her parents and hadn't even opened a bank account.

There was a flash of shock in Gu Yanfeng's eyes, followed by a gentle tone, "Then I'll accompany you to open one tomorrow."

So, it was settled. Jiang Mi breathed a sigh of relief.

At least, she temporarily had a place to stay.

Gu Yanfeng got up to change his clothes and came out to say to Jiang Mi, "I'm going out for a while. Will you be bored alone? Should I ask Shuang jie to come over and accompany you?"

"No… no, wait." Jiang Mi came to her senses, "You're going out so late?"

Gu Yanfeng looked at the pitch-black night outside, asking, "Are you afraid?"

"Yeah." Jiang Mi didn't want him to go out, so she nodded, "Your house...is too big. I'm not used to being alone."

"It's my oversight." Gu Yanfeng hesitated slightly, then added, "I won't go out then."

Jiang Mi felt a bit embarrassed again, "Is it okay?"

"It's okay." Gu Yanfeng smiled.

Then, both of them suddenly fell silent, and the air quieted down, feeling a bit strange.

"Do you want to go online?" Gu Yanfeng broke the silence.

Jiang Mi was afraid of awkwardness too, so she nodded hastily.

Gu Yanfeng got up and brought a laptop from the study, "You can use this computer for now. I'll buy you a new one when I have time. Can you put it in your room?"

"Yes, thank you, Teacher Gu." Jiang Mi stood up and walked towards the room.

"Wait a moment."

Gu Yanfeng stood at the doorway, watching her. "No rush."

When Jiang Mi slowly moved to the doorway, he pushed the door open, followed her in, and placed the computer on the table. "No password set. There's nothing important inside. You can use it freely."

After making sure Jiang Mi didn't need any help, Gu Yanfeng turned and left. Even though Jiang Mi had just moved into this room, and there weren't any personal items yet, he tried not to look around as much as possible, maintaining politeness.

Judging from the details, Jiang Mi felt that Gu Yanfeng was truly a modest gentleman, but she couldn't understand why he had a hidden illness.

After sitting blankly for a while, Jiang Mi finally opened the computer.

However, she had no idea what to do online. She didn't want to play games, couldn't find anyone to chat with, and the news...she kept zoning out.

Finally giving up on the computer, she noticed a bag next to her, which, according to memory, belonged to the original owner and was probably brought by Shuang jie from the hotel.

Casually opening the original owner's bag, Jiang Mi wanted to explore "her" things.

But as soon as she opened it, she was stunned.

There were no cosmetics, no snacks, no toys in the original owner's bag. Instead, there were... a bunch of test papers.

When she came over during the engagement scene, and later discussed marriage-related topics, Jiang Mi almost forgot that the original owner was a senior high school student.

In fact, today was Sunday, and she should have returned to school for evening self-study.

Jiang Mi: "..."

Whether going to school or take leave, it was already too late. According to her memory, the original owner often skipped classes and the teachers didn't bother. Jiang Mi took out those test papers, wanting to see if there was any homework.

The book mentioned that although the original owner was not good at studying, she loved learning because Bai Mo was a top student, and she wanted to get closer to him.

Now it seemed that the love for learning was not exaggerated.

However, when she unfolded the test papers, Jiang Mi fell silent again.

These were all graded exam papers. 24 points in math, 18 points in physics, 39 in chemistry... Chinese was the highest, scoring 88 points.

Jiang Mi remembered that the book explained that the original owner was able to attend the same university as Bai Mo. In the end, thanks to Gu Yanfeng's connections.

Jiang Mi: "..."

Actually, the original owner's poor grades could be understood. She wasn't liked by her parents at home, looked down upon by classmates and teachers at school, daily anxieties about whether she could go to school the next day, secretly in love with Bai Mo, and also had to contend with the female lead... it would be strange if she could study well.

Only, these scores seem like a joke, but upon closer inspection, it can be found that every test paper is filled. For the difficult questions that they truly didn't know, they earnestly wrote the character "" (solution).

Jiang Mi sighed, suddenly hearing faint footsteps at the door.

There were only two people in the house, so the footsteps must be Gu Yanfeng's.

Jiang Mi thought he had come to find her, but after waiting for a while, the footsteps moved away.

Nothing?

Then why did he come?

Suddenly, a thought flashed through Jiang Mi's mind—could he be checking if she's asleep, planning to leave only after she falls asleep?

Entirely possible!

Jiang Mi suddenly couldn't sit still.

What if Gu Yanfeng goes out in the middle of the night?

No, he absolutely cannot leave today.

She has to keep an eye on him, but with what excuse?

A girl, what reason is there to stay with a man all night?

Jiang Mi's gaze swept over those test papers, suddenly stopping.

Ten minutes later, Jiang Mi stood at the door of Gu Yanfeng's bedroom, gritting her teeth and knocking.

Gu Yanfeng quickly opened the door, looking slightly surprised: "What's wrong? Do you need something?"

Jiang Mi, seeing he was still wearing the same clothes as before, became even more certain she hadn't guessed wrong and immediately said, "Teacher Gu, there are a few problems I don't understand. Can you teach me?"

Gu Yanfeng obviously didn't expect her to make such a request. He stared blankly for a few seconds before saying, "I can take a look, but I might not be able to explain it well. After all, the college entrance examination is in distant lands for me."

"It's okay, you teaching me will definitely be fine." Afraid that he might refuse, Jiang Mi entered his room directly.

Gu Yanfeng had no choice but to leave the door open and follow her in, saying, "You don't know, these college entrance examination topics, if you haven't used them for a long time..."

He paused because Jiang Mi spread the test paper with the eighteen-point score on the table.

Jiang Mi, shamelessly, said, "I knew you could teach me, right?"

Gu Yanfeng: "…"

7