Chapter 6
35 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jiang Mi's emotions were touched, but she wasn't sure how to express it. When Gu Yanfeng mentioned hugging, she subconsciously reached out.

Now that Gu Yanfeng was motionless, the atmosphere became a bit awkward.

Jiang Mi hesitated for a moment, maintaining this posture without retracting her arm.

Gu Yanfeng smiled, bent down, and lifted Jiang Mi—not in a regular hug, but a princess carry.

He placed Jiang Mi on the sofa, turned to fetch a pair of slippers, and placed them by her feet. "Today, I need to transfer my household registration and get a card for you. I might not have time to go to school. Can you call the teacher and ask for leave?"

Jiang Mi nodded and added, "These things aren't urgent. You should take a nap first."

"It's okay; I'm used to staying up late due to filming all year round." Gu Yanfeng turned to the bedroom. "I'll freshen up and go later."

Jiang Mi watched him disappear and, with no other option, took out her phone to call the homeroom teacher.

The original owner was a poor student who frequently skipped classes, leaving a bad impression on the teachers. Whether she attended school or how she performed in exams, the teachers were indifferent.

So, when Jiang Mi called to request leave, the homeroom teacher remained silent for at least ten seconds before dryly saying, "It's okay. Take care."

After the call, Jiang Mi slowly returned to her room to freshen up. She then found the clothes Gu Yanfeng had bought for her and chose a light blue knee-length dress.

After changing, she came out and saw Gu Yanfeng standing at the doorway, wearing a light blue casual shirt paired with white trousers.

Their outfits surprisingly gave off couple’s vibe.

Gu Yanfeng's expression twitched slightly, as if he wanted to say something, but the doorbell rang first.

It was the assistant from yesterday, named Cheng Shuang.

She brought a hearty breakfast, and they all ate together. Jiang Mi only had a bowl of white rice congee and a plain steamed bun.

Gu Yanfeng glanced at the abundant dishes on the table but said nothing.

After finishing the meal, they prepared to leave, heading first to the original owner's home.

"Don't move, wait for me." Gu Yanfeng said to Jiang Mi.

After waiting for a while, Jiang Mi saw him pushing a wheelchair towards her.

Jiang Mi: "..."

"Use less force on your foot now." Gu Yanfeng explained seriously, "The wheelchair is very convenient, don't worry about it looking awkward."

What else could Jiang Mi say?

Of course, she could only sit in it and comfort herself that using a wheelchair was more elegant than hopping on one leg.

The original owner's family lived in an old dilapidated house. Gu Yanfeng brought two bodyguards, and one of them knocked on the door for a long time without any response. Instead, it attracted the attention of the neighbor.

"Is it MiMi?" The neighbor aunt's gaze was like a searchlight, scanning Gu Yanfeng from top to bottom. "What's going on? Injured? Your mom and dad came at 8 in the morning. They might have just gone to bed. Where's your key?"

Due to Gu Yanfeng's special status, the engagement wasn't publicized, but Zhu Xiuchun and his wife couldn't keep their mouths shut and had already revealed to the neighbors that Jiang Mi had married a wealthy man.

Now, the neighbor aunt's curiosity was about to overflow.

"Hello, Auntie." Jiang Mi greeted, "I left my key at home and forgot to bring it."

Actually, Zhu Xiuchun took the key away to force her to live with Gu Yanfeng.

"Your mom sleeps like a log. Knocking on the door like this won't work." The neighbor aunt ran over, banged on the old iron gate, making a loud noise, and then shouted loudly, "Old Zhu, MiMi is back! Are you still sleeping!"

She deliberately said this to test Gu Yanfeng. After saying it, she looked towards Gu Yanfeng with a smirk.

Gu Yanfeng glanced at her with a smile that wasn't a smile.

Aunt suddenly felt a chill on her back and didn't dare to shout a second time.

Fortunately, Zhu Xiuchun in the house had already been awakened by the shouting. She came to open the door with sleepy eyes, a displeased expression on her face. "Who the hell is disturbing my peaceful dream so early? Oh, it's Gu... Why are you guys here? Come in quickly."

She was still wearing the bright red suit from yesterday, her makeup still intact. Her eyes were bloodshot, evidently having not slept the entire night.

Zhu Xiuchun liked to play mahjong, and when the neighbor aunt said they would finish at 8 o'clock, she meant finishing the mahjong game.

Gu Yanfeng pushed Jiang Mi in, Cheng Shuang followed and closed the door. The two bodyguards stood outside, intimidatingly guarding the door, effectively scaring away the neighbor aunt.

Inside the house, Zhu Xiuchun didn't show any concern for Jiang Mi. Instead, she smiled obsequiously at Gu Yanfeng. "Why didn't you inform us in advance when you were coming? We thought you wouldn't be free to come today. Yesterday, my husband went out to drink and hasn't returned till now..."

Jiang Mi interrupted Zhu Xiuchun, "It doesn't matter, we didn't come to see you."

Zhu Xiuchun replied, "...You, kid, how do you talk?"

"What about the household register you promised me yesterday?" Jiang Mi took out her phone and raised it.

Zhu Xiuchun glanced at Gu Yanfeng and didn't care about Jiang Mi's threat. "You're such a child, I don't understand why you're always so naive. Why do you need the household register? When you get married, Mom will naturally give it to you."

"So, are you trying to back out of the promise?" Jiang Mi wasn't surprised. She never trusted these parents, which is why she sought help from Gu Yanfeng.

"Back out or not, you're still young and don't understand. Holding the household register in your hand, if someone deceives you, you won't even know. Mom is protecting you." Zhu Xiuchun looked at Gu Yanfeng, unable to figure out what had happened between them. She tried hard to play the role of a good mother.

"What do you mean?" Gu Yanfeng slowly spoke, "Are you saying I would deceive Mimi?"

"No, no, no, of course I'm not saying that about you." Zhu Xiuchun hastily waved her hand. "There's no problem following you, but..."

"So, do you want to cancel the marriage?" Gu Yanfeng asked.

"Of course not." Zhu Xiuchun had already received the final payment last night, so she wasn't afraid of Gu Yanfeng. "Even if you slept with her, it's too late for you to back out now."

No one expected her to say that. Gu Yanfeng frowned, and Jiang Mi's face turned red, but it wasn't appropriate to say anything more.

"In fact, if you really want the household register, it's not impossible. Just pay some money." Zhu Xiuchun knew that Gu Yanfeng had money and couldn't resist the urge to extort. "Since you have so much money, giving some to your parents is not a big deal, right?"

Jiang Mi angrily said, "You dare to use the word 'parents'?"

"If it weren't for us, you would have died long ago. Do you want to deny your parents?" Zhu Xiuchun had lost all shame. "Did you grow up on air?"

Jiang Mi had never seen such shameless people. "But you've already taken five million..."

"Don't get angry." Gu Yanfeng gently patted Jiang Mi's shoulder and said to Zhu Xiuchun, "How much do you want?"

"Five million!" Zhu Xiuchun boldly opened her mouth. "Gu Yanfeng, with your status, you surely wouldn't want any bad rumors, right?"

She was blatantly blackmailing. After saying it, she nervously stared at Gu Yanfeng.

Gu Yanfeng, however, was not angry. He even smiled, looking very amiable. "Five million is indeed not much for me, but I can't give it to you for free."

He looked around and saw a deck of playing cards on the table. "I heard you like gambling. How about this, let's gamble. If you win, I'll give you five million to buy Mimi's household register. If I win, you immediately hand over the household register to me. How about that?"

Zhu Xiuchun's five million was just a casual remark. She had intended to negotiate with Gu Yanfeng slowly. She never expected him to suggest a gamble.

Forget about five million, even if she could get another fifty thousand, she would be happy.

Therefore, when faced with Gu Yanfeng's proposal, Zhu Xiuchun was very tempted, but she was cautious, afraid that Gu Yanfeng was playing tricks.

"Scared?" Gu Yanfeng didn't pressure her. "Well, forget it then. I'll go check with someone I know at the police station..."

"Wait." Zhu Xiuchun stopped Gu Yanfeng. "How do you want to gamble?"

"The simplest way, just play Big Win," Gu Yanfeng pointed to the deck of cards on her table. "What do you think?"

Zhu Xiuchun gritted her teeth and nodded, "Okay. But I'll shuffle the cards."

"Sure." Gu Yanfeng was easygoing.

Jiang Mi, anxious, grabbed Gu Yanfeng's wrist. Zhu Xiuchun often cheated when playing Mahjong.

Gu Yanfeng blinked at her, shaking his head slightly to signal it was okay.

Jiang Mi strangely trusted him and instantly calmed down.

On the other side, Zhu Xiuchun began shuffling the cards, and Gu Yanfeng glanced at Cheng Shuang, sitting across from Zhu Xiuchun.

With only two people, there was no need for complicated betting agreements; they could see the result after dealing the cards.

"You first," Gu Yanfeng said.

Zhu Xiuchun flipped the first card, Ace of Spades.

Gu Yanfeng flipped the first card, Ace of Hearts.

Zhu Xiuchun flipped the second card, Queen of Spades.

Gu Yanfeng flipped the second card, Ace of Clubs.

Jiang Mi didn't usually play cards much, but she could understand this.

In the current situation, as long as Zhu Xiuchun's last card was a spade, regardless of the value, she would have a flush. A flush beats a pair, unless Gu Yanfeng also had an Ace. Otherwise, he would lose.

There were still 10 spades left, but only one Ace.

Without calculating, it was clear that Zhu Xiuchun had a better chance of winning.

Jiang Mi anxiously stood up.

Zhu Xiuchun revealed a confident smile.

Only Gu Yanfeng remained calm, "Turn it over."

Zhu Xiuchun flipped the last card, King of Spades, a straight flush.

"Since you know I often play cards, you shouldn't have bet against me..."

Zhu Xiuchun's words were cut off halfway as if someone had choked her throat; she suddenly fell silent.

Gu Yanfeng's last card was indeed an Ace, a 1 in 47 chance, and he won.

"ID card." Gu Yanfeng stood up, politely extending his hand to Zhu Xiuchun.

Zhu Xiuchun was dumbfounded, "No, how is this possible..."

"Why is it impossible?" Gu Yanfeng's voice slightly deepened.

Zhu Xiuchun seemed to remember something, closed her mouth, and went into the bedroom.

Not long after, she came out with the ID card.

But just as Gu Yanfeng reached out to take it, Zhu Xiuchun withdrew her hand, "No, I can't give it to you. You cheated!"

"How do you know I cheated?" Gu Yanfeng smiled.

Zhu Xiuchun shook her sleeve, and a diamond Ace fell out, "Where did five Aces in a deck come from? The last Ace was in my hand."

Gu Yanfeng turned to Cheng Shuang, "Is everything recorded?"

Cheng Shuang nodded, "Everything is recorded, including what she did while shuffling."

Zhu Xiuchun exclaimed, "!!!"

"At 0.5x speed, send the video to the neighbors, especially those who like to play cards and Mahjong," Gu Yanfeng took the ID card from the stunned Zhu Xiuchun and said to Cheng Shuang, "Bring them in."

Two bodyguards entered the room.

"What do you want?" Zhu Xiuchun was uneasy. "You're a movie star, a big celebrity. If you dare..."

"You've misunderstood. I won't harm you," Gu Yanfeng explained seriously. "They are here to save your life. After your friends finish beating people, they will take you to the hospital."

4