Chapter 3
47 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vincent's family lived in the capital, near the royal castle. However, they did have a few rooms reserved for their use in the castle. They would also often travel to many of the king's domains, where they would stay at reserved estates belonging to the crown for high-ranking officials that came in the king's name. With James being the Chief Minister, it's no surprise that he's usually the one in these estates. Having nicknames such as the king's right-hand man or the king's favorite bureaucrat definitely made his relationship with the king very clear to all.

James would usually take a carriage ride from his home to the royal castle, which was where he usually worked, but he normally didn't take anyone with him; however, in recent days, Vincent would come with him nearly every day. At first, James was fine with it until one day he got a complaint from none other than his majesty, the king himself, telling James that the 5th Princess Victoria somehow got her hands on a wooden sword and dug a big hole in the center of the royal garden alongside his son. To make it worse, even after getting a stern talk with Vincent, the kid still failed at not getting into trouble alongside the princess. Only two days later, Vincent and the princes were found doodling animals on the back of the king's throne. At this point, James would've stopped bringing Vincent to the castle, and the king probably would've banned him from entering too. However, Victoria got too attached to Vincent and refused to eat or exit her room until her father promised Vincent would be free to visit whenever he wanted and that he would also come for a visit the very next day. Back when it happened, the king was completely shocked, as his quiet and calm daughter had never thrown such a tantrum ever before. To make things worse, this tantrum was the biggest tantrum any of the princes or princesses had ever made since all his very first days as a father. Not knowing what to do, the king reluctantly agreed to his daughter's request. Both James and the King felt helpless in this whole situation; however, the King was unwilling to experience such a major tantrum again.

 

James knew he needed to do something, so in the last two weeks, James had began to hatch a plan and make preparations. Today was the day he started to put his plan into action. As Vincent joined his dad on the carriage, James spoke to his son.

"Vincent I have some news I think you shall find interesting.

Vincent: "Is it news I find uplifting?"

James: "Indeed, I think you shall."

Vincent: "Am I getting a pet dog? I told Victoria that not just people like to play in the mud, but also that animals such as dogs also like playing in the mud!"

While James face grew ugly, yet he managed to bring out his next words in a surprisingly neutral voice.

"No, it's not a dog. Also, please stop with encouraging the princess to play in mud; it's unfitting for a noble boy such as yourself and even more so for royalty such as the princess."

Vincent: "Dad, if I want to commit any meritorious deeds, the best way is during times of war! I must lead troops, or at least fight really well, and if I'm not used to mud, then how could I ever fight on the battlefield?"

James: "How much of that is the truth, and how much of it is rubbish that you are using as an excuse to play in the mud? You know what? I don't even want to hear your answer, as I ought to return to the subject at hand. The news I have for you is in fact related to you learning how to fight. I have arranged for an instructor to instruct you on how to fight using a sword and, maybe later on, also a shield. He'll be waiting for you in the castle."

Vincent "THAN DO I GET A REAL SWORD!!! It reminds me, dad. I told Victoria that you can play dress up with a sword just like you do with a doll by selecting a sheath or scabbard and also by customizing said sheath or scabbard in a way that would look pretty. Do you think she'll like my new sword? Will I get a scabbard?"

James let out a long sigh before helplessly responding to his energetic son.

James: "I'm not even surprised anymore, and no, you're not getting a sword. No, you're also not getting a scabbard. You will be training with wooden swords; I cannot risk you getting injured in training, especially since I was the one giving you most of your training to this day."

Vincent was making a sad face as he then asked.

"Aww, am I really not getting even a scabbard? Also, what does training me have to do with me not getting a real sword?"

James: "My skills with the sword are considered good, but for someone on the battlefield, they are severally lacking. Your tutor will be the real deal, but I fear you'll be injured if I give you a real blade. Even if not from him, you might try to block but lose control and slash yourself or something of the sort. I shall give you a metallic sword only when I personally deem you ready to wield one."

3