Chapter – 63
428 4 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a while, the path opened up into a more significant road. Immediately, Jenny walked off the packed earth, staying hidden from view in the trees off to the side while following in the same direction. Yuki agreed with that decision. She could hear things from far away in both directions, the noise of heavy animals and the groaning of wood under a heavy load. Merchants, she guessed.

“The baron pays the guild to patrol the region each year,” Jenny said, breaking the silence. The guild sends adventures to hunt down the more dangerous creatures.”

“How come no one ever found the dungeon?” Yuki asked.

“I’m… not sure.” The blonde admitted, looking back.; though,Yuki was confident the girl was looking in the wrong direction. “The entrance wasn’t even that hidden, and it is near the main road.”

“Laziness?”

“Could be,” Jenny agreed. In the end, it was yet another mystery that Yuki wasn’t sure if it was worth solving.

The sun had taken on that warm orange glow that indicated night would soon follow when Jenny stopped. “We’re not far from the town.” She placed the bag down and sat on the dried leaves. “How long does the magic last?”

[Shaping] hadn’t changed since the previous day. If she invested all her available points in duration, she could make the spell last a little more than two hours. All things considered, it wasn’t that long.

“Two—” Yuki stopped mid-sentence. She was being stupid again. She could cast a permanent [Enchant] [Shapechange] on Jenny for two magic points. Since the spell didn’t need any other parameters, it was cheap to cast. Yuki thought about the spell [Enchant], checking the details. This was one she hadn’t paid attention to since she needed tools. But that was to craft artifacts. Yuki wanted to make an effect permanent on a person, not craft a pretty dagger.

“Biscuit?”

“Gimme a moment, thinking,” Yuki answered.

Yes, the spell still needed a few material components, even if she wanted to cast it on a living person. Yuki would need ink, silver, gold, and precious stones to be ground to dust. That mixture would then be used to write the correspondent symbols on the target. She could even include herself in the casting, immediately she rejected the idea. Yuki liked opposable thumbs, but she enjoyed being a rabbit more.

“Two hours, give or take a few minutes,” Yuki said. She eyed Jenny’s blue sapphire earrings. “With the right materials, I can make the effect last as long as needed.”

Jenny nodded. “What do you need for that?”

“To make it last, I need ink, silver and gold dust, and precious gems also ground to powder.”

Jenny’s hand went to her ear. “How much of it?”

“A few of the coins of each, and both earrings.”

“Right,” Jenny said, looking away.

Yuki didn’t press. She couldn’t cast the spell right now anyway. “Man or woman?”

Jenny looked back, confusion written on her face. “What?”

“Is it normal for a girl to travel alone in these lands?” Yuki asked instead of answering.

“I see what you mean,” Jenny said. “Unusual, but not unheard of. Male would make it easier to avoid suspicion, but female would make it easier to meet the new baron.” Jenny had a scowl on her face.

Yuki waited while her companion deliberated on what to do. After a while, Jenny sighed.

“Woman, but with darker hair, and make me bigger.”

Yuki snickered at the woman’s words. She couldn’t help it. There was too much fifth-grade internet sloshing in her head.

Jenny misunderstood the giggle. “Right now, I look like a runaway girl who stole her dad’s armor. I need to at least fit the clothes properly.”

Yuki hadn’t stopped giggling, but she did her best to. Jenny’s words were innocent enough. “Right, I need a strand of hair,” she said after calming down. “And don’t resist.”

Jenny plucked the hair and placed it on the ground. Yuki caught it on her paws and cast the magic.

It was fascinating to observe the changes wrought by the spell. Jenny’s bones didn’t crack or bend; instead, her skin rippled and bulged, filling the once-large clothes. The hair, starting from the root, changed from inviting golden to dull, sun-burnt brown. The eyes changed from blue to black, and Jenny’s button nose transformed into a high-bridge, aquiline nose.

The new looks weren’t bad. Jenny looked like a warrior girl that meant mean business; Yuki approved.

“How do I look?” The woman asked in her new, deeper, more resonant voice. She held her hair in front of her face, observing it. Soon after, she removed her earrings and stashed them in the bag.

“Like you’re mean, and mean it.”

A broad smile blossomed on Jenny’s face, all teeth and malice.

“Good. It’s time for Larissa to cause some trouble,” Jenny or Larissa said. She got up, adjusting her now properly fitting clothes before she slung the bag over her shoulder. She knelt open palm on the ground. “I need to hide you,” she said with troubled eyes. Rabbits are a delicacy, and someone might try to steal you if they see you.”

Yuki nodded, a pang of sadness stabbing her heart. “Can we visit the burrow?” She asked.

“Oh, Biscuit. I’m so sorry.” Jenny said, picking up the white rabbit and hugging it closer. Yuki didn’t say anything. She just enjoyed the moment for what it was. It didn’t last, however. They were on a timer, and soon after, Jenny hid Yuki inside the bag, making sure it wasn’t wholly close and that Yuki could at least peek outside.

“I’ll go straight to one of the inns and reserve a room.” The woman said, walking toward the road. “Tomorrow morning, I’ll visit the blacksmith to see if I can have the coins and jewel ground down, and also the cost to repair the crossbow and spear.”

From inside the bag, Yuki nodded. That sounded like a good plan.

Jenny walked in silence, the spear used like a walking stick. Her strides were long and confident. Men and women they passed on the main road stared. It didn’t take long until they were at the town walls, stopped by a guard.

“State your Business.” A hoarse man called out.

Yuki moved deeper into the bag. Better to avoid complicating things by being discovered at the gates.

Next chapter on Monday.

27