Chapter – 65
384 11 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tired as she was, Yuki didn’t complain or resist when Jenny hid her in a bundle of clothes and went to take a bath. She enjoyed the hot water and the woman’s fingers cleaning her newly regrown fur. Yuki didn’t need cleaning; she was a clean rabbit, and the bath was lovely. She even played in the warm water once the instinctual fear abated. She wasn’t proud of that. The moment Jenny had dunked her underwater, Yuki lost it for a moment, splashing wildly. She was fine as long as she could keep her head above water, which Jenny learned soon enough and didn’t try the same again.

After the bath, she ate a few leaves while Jenny devoured dinner. Soon after Jenny and Yuki were both tucked into bed and beneath covers; Yuki was out before she could count to ten rabbits.

“We don’t have much time,” Jenny said while fixing her clothes and hair. “I’ll go down for a quick breakfast, and once done, I’ll come here and pick you up.”

Yuki nodded, munching on yet more leaves.

“I don’t know yet how I’m going to explain to the blacksmith why I need him to grind gold, silver, and precious stones to powder for me.”

Yuki stopped her breakfast and asked. “What are your ideas so far?”

“My best bet right now is saying I’m doing it at a physician’s request, but this is a poor town, and we don’t have a physician that needs the powder.”

“Why a physician?” Yuki asked, not seeing the connection.

Jenny sat on the bed, fingers soon reaching Yuki’s ears. “I’m not sure,” she shrugged. “It’s something I heard the late baron complaining about. A few years ago, when Gregory got sick, a famous physician requested for it: silver, gold, and precious stone dust. The man said he needed to balance the fluids on Gregory’s body to cure his disease.”

That sounded a lot like that old faulty theory. “Humoral medicine?”

Jenny nodded. “That’s the name.”

Yuki considered things. “What other choices?”

“Gilding or art, but I’m worried that the man will think I’m getting those for nefarious reasons or worse, for a magic ritual. Some sermons at the church often condemn alchemists and sorcerers and their use of such things.”

Yeah, that would make things complicated. “Larissa is an adventurer, right?” Jenny nodded. “You can say you know a physician who taught you a salve to help balance your humors, and since you’re alone and separated from your party, you are willing to part with your hard-earned gold to be better prepared for the next leg of the journey.”

Jenny got up, and the nice ear massage ended, unfortunately. “That might work. I’m ready for the magic.”

Yuki cast [Shapechange], imagining the same transformation from the previous day. With their time limit set, Jenny moved out of the room as soon as the transformation was over, leaving Yuki alone with her thoughts. She planned out what  she wanted for the near future: to visit the burrow and search for the other rabbits, investigate the lord’s office, and find more information about the stalker.

Jenny didn’t take long to return. The woman grabbed her spear; opening the bag so Yuki could hop inside before collecting that as well. 

It was strange and comforting traveling inside the bag. As a rabbit, Yuki was afraid of open spaces and the sky. Logically, she knew those fears were a question of instinct and that she was safe, but her body did what it did. She didn’t peek outside this time; she just listened to the sounds and smelled the scents.

The busy ambiance of the inn soon abated, replaced by the dry scent of earth, horse manure, and piss. The more Jenny walked, the more that the voices of those nearby and other things reached Yuki. Closer, she heard the sounds of animals and what sounded like clucking chickens. A dog barked in the distance, and a horse neighed. The hubbub of conversation and the new smells of herbs, baked goods, and food told Yuki they were in some sort of mercantile street or something similar. In the distance, she heard the loud, strident clang of metal against metal in rhythmic strikes. That would be the blacksmith, but another sound, closer and fainter, caught Yuki’s attention.

A soft, low keening, almost drowned by all the other noises. It sent Yuki’s heart beating fast. She’d heard that sound before. She knew that sound. Yuki thumped the bag hard. Jenny’s steps faltered for a moment before she started walking again. Yuki thumped the bag again. Jenny’s hand sneaked inside the bag and rested on Yuki’s soft coat. Jenny’s finger tapped Yuki two times. Yuki waited, anxiety growing with each second that passed.

Not long after, the sound of voices grew distant and Jenny stopped. She opened the bag and peeked inside. “What is it, Biscuit?”

Yuki all but yelled. “I heard Whisker!”

Jenny looked confused. “Who?”

Yuki didn’t have time to explain. “A rabbit, she was crying. Can we find her, please?”

The blonde woman looked back, then inside the bag again. “I did see a stall selling live animals. What does she look like? Is she like you?”

Biscuit shook her head. “Dark gray fur, black eyes, a white spot on her left ear. Her horn isn’t the biggest.”

Jenny nodded. “I’ll leave the bag open and inspect the rabbits, thump to signal me I have the correct one.”

Yuki waited in anxious silence while Jenny walked back to the shopping street. Merchants peddled their wares, but Yuki ignored them. Whisker’s keening had gotten louder like she was in pain. Every muscle in Yuki’s body wanted her to jump out of the bag and summon [Wrack] to teach whoever was hurting Whisker a lesson.

“Excuse me,” Jenny said in her native language. “Can I look at your livestock?”

“I’ll be with you in a moment,” a man’s voice said. And here’s your order, ma’am. That’s the last one of the bunch. I reckon it’s gonna make a fantastic stew!”

Yuki peeked outside, and Jenny froze. Whisker cried out louder. From the gap between the folds of the leather bag, Yuki saw a grizzled man holding a dark gray furred rabbit to a customer by the ears. The rabbit’s fur was marred in some spots; her horn had been cut at the base, but Yuki would recognize those twitching whiskers anywhere. Jenny’s hand sneaked inside the bag and tightened around Yuki before she broke free of her surprise.

“It will!” The middle-aged woman smiled back. “It’s been ages since we last got one,” she said, raising the rabbit by the ears. “My little Anya has her tenth birthday coming up, and she’s wanted to eat one of these forever. Such a special treat for a special girl!”

 

Thank you for reading.

Next chapter on Friday.

22