Ch 2.19: Planning
537 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The group was cautious as they approached the wall of terrain that was hanging over the, no one breaking the silence of the forest. Elaina was more on edge than she should have been since Carline was there to keep “lookout” as it were, but knowing there were dozens of potential enemies behind them and an unknown amount in front was unnerving regardless.

“I think that’s the entrance to the cave,” Flora said, pointing towards an opening in the stone.

“Carline, still nothing?” Tira asked.

“Nope, just us. Not even a squirrel.”

Elaina looked at the space just in front of the cave entrance, frowning. There was a massive clearing, recently cut stumps of tree, torn up grass and dirt, even the remaining stones of a large firepit. 

“Then where did they go…” 

“They left,” Flora said, walking over to the abandoned camp. “And this campsite isn’t big enough to hold forty people.”

“What does that mean?” Elaina asked.

Tira followed behind Flora, examining the fire pit. “There weren’t forty of them at first, I’d guess. They didn’t mind cutting down trees to make this site, so they certainly wouldn’t have minded cutting down more to make room for their friends. The only thing I can think of is they didn’t think that this space was safe to stay at anymore.”

“Not safe?” Elaina turned towards the opening, staring into the darkness. This obviously wasn’t some small hole in the ground like where she’d first found the System. There was no telling how far down it went, or what could be inside of it. 

“I would presume that they encountered some resistance in the dungeon,” Temmie said. “They are designed to be difficult to steal from of course, but considering they managed to remove the subcore and subsequently decided to leave, I do not think the difficulties they encountered were of the System.”

“Wait,” Elaina said, heart pounding, “it’s not the Order, is it?”

“Could be,” Tira said, frowning. “It sounded like we had more time.”

“I do not think it is the Order. They would have little reason to come here once the subcore was removed. Rather, it is more likely to be terrestrial threats. Many of them gather near crystal deposits, and they would remain interested even after the core removal.”

“Terrestrial? Like from our planet?” Elaina asked. She’d been paying a little attention in astronomy at the least.

“Correct.”

“Well, that shouldn’t be too bad,” Carline said, looking visibly relieved. “That’s the kind of things we’re usually doing on these missions anyway, right?”

“Sometimes,” Tira said, taking a seat on a rock and looking in her bag. “I’ve fought a swamp troll before.”

“And I’ve seen a giant platypus!” Flora said, giggling. “We didn’t fight it though.”

“Platypuses aren’t real,” Tira said with a glare. “Don’t lie; this is serious.”

“What? No, I saw one, I swear!”

“Yeah, whatever. Point stands, this is very much in our wheelhouse if that’s the case. Carline, you sure there aren’t any people around here?”

“Not a soul.”

“Good. We’ll break here for dinner, and then go into the cave for some recon. Whatever scared these poachers off, we need to know about it.”

Elaina wanted to speak up, but she wasn’t really sure what to say, so she held herself back. She was a little nervous about going into a dark cave that might be filled with monsters, sure, but there was more. She had imagined the trip being a little more relaxed, not a beeline to an enemy camp, immediate course changed to a monster-filled dungeon. I guess I thought it would be more like in the carriage…

Their quick dinner was a light affair at least, in comparison to the previous hour or so anyway. The food was pretty underwhelming compared to the Endrin banquet hall, mostly dried meats, cheese, and bread that Tira had been responsible for bringing. Most of them were actually quite flavorful, still having been prepared by the school kitchen, but they didn’t exactly make a full course meal.

Elaina still wasn’t quite used to those full course meals yet anyway, so she managed to find herself enjoying the meal anyway. The four of them hadn’t actually been together like this for a meal before, it usually just being Elaina and Carline, or Elaina alone when Carline was busy. It was fun, almost like being a family. Carline was the sibling she’d never had, and Tira and Flora were the arguing parents who you could tell still loved each other despite their bickering. 

Probably.

“Look, I’ve seen a duck, and I’ve seen a beaver. I know what you’re describing, and it just doesn’t exist.”

Flora pouted as stared at Tira, an expression that Elaina was pretty sure was somewhat exaggerated. “You just have no imagination.”

“We’re not talking about imagination though, we’re talking about reality. Next you’re going to be telling me it lays eggs.”

“Actually, I’ve heard that—”

Elaina burst out into laughter, drawing the attention and shushing of the rest of the group. 

“Elaina,” Carline said, looking around in a panic, “the poachers are still out here somewhere.”

“I know, sorry, sorry.” Elaina wiped a tear from her eye, managing to quiet herself down. “I just imagined a duck-beaver laying an egg, and it caught me off guard.”

“See, she has imagination,” Flora said, giggling to herself.

Tira rolled her eyes, doing her best to hide a smile, but not quite succeeding. “Whatever, but you’re still wrong. But I will at least concede that I think you believe you saw the mythical beaver-duck.”

“You’ll see, we’ll find one together one day, mark my words!”

“Sure sure, and then I’ll get naked with you and streak to the lake.”

Tira was obviously joking, obviously taunting, but the glint in Flora’s eyes made it obvious she wasn’t in on the jest. “Really!”

“Yeah, sure, once we see the giant platypus. Anyway.” Tira stood up, taking a drink from her canteen and putting it in her bag before pulling it back on her shoulder. “We should get going. Don’t want to be down there too late.”

Everyone started to gather their things, Elaina picking Temmie up from the stump she’d sat her on. “Hmmm.”

“Temmie, did you say something?”

“I know not of this platypus, but Flora’s description is not unfamiliar to me. I am wondering whether or not it is a coincidence.”

“Like, you’ve heard of them before?”

“Yes, but the creatures I am thinking of are quite common. Perhaps they have become endangered during my inactivity.”

“Are they dangerous?”

“Oh yes, very.”

16