Chapter 42 Night Visitors
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Early in the morning, as the residents of Mountain City opened their doors to begin their day, they were astonished to find the entire town covered in white. On the white surface, faintly written were twelve bold characters. Curious, people picked up a sheet and read: "Mu Xiong, brutal and oppressive, will soon meet his demise!"

Whispers spread among the crowd, questioning the audacious person behind this message. The consequences of being caught were considered dire.

Mu Xiong had just risen when Zou Ming and Cheng Kong hurried in, holding a flyer. Anxiously, they exclaimed, "Town Lord, something significant has happened!"

Mu Xiong, noting their urgency, asked, "What's so alarming?!"

"Town Lord, take a look!" Cheng Kong handed him the flyer.

Mu Xiong glanced at the flyer, anger building up within him. He crumpled the paper, tossed it to the ground, and gritted his teeth, "Lu Yunshan, how dare you be so brazen!"

"Town Lord, how do you know it's Lu Yunshan?" Cheng Kong inquired.

"Both of you, go fetch Mr. Chang immediately," Mu Xiong ordered.

"Yes!" The two rushed out.

Before they could take a few steps, Chang Qing arrived from outside. They informed him, "Mr. Chang, you're just in time. The Town Lord requests your presence!"

"Alright, I understand," Chang Qing replied.

The three entered the hall, and Chang Qing handed a flyer to Mu Xiong, saying, "Town Lord, take a look at this."

Mu Xiong glanced at it, shook his head, and said, "Mr. Chang, I've seen this already. I wanted to hear your opinion."

"It seems Lu Yunshan and his group are about to take action," Chang Qing commented.

"Mr. Chang, do you think this is Lu Yunshan's doing?" Mu Xiong asked.

"Previously, Lu Yunshan wouldn't dare to act so openly. It was because the lords of the 'Three Cities and One Town' were too powerful. Even with their numerous supporters, he had little chance of winning. However, now that we've pushed Tianhua into this situation, he will definitely assist Lu Yunshan. With Tianhua's support, Lu Yunshan's actions are expected. I just didn't anticipate it happening so soon," Chang Qing explained.

"In that case, let's discuss how to deal with it!" Mu Xiong said.

"Lu Yunshan's flyers are meant to incite public anger. If they launch a full-scale attack, they might gain popular support. It would be troublesome for us. So, we should quickly collect and destroy all these flyers. Anyone caught hoarding them privately will be punished for treason and executed," Chang Qing suggested.

"Kong Xu, Zou Ming, both of you, immediately collect and destroy all the flyers in Mountain City. If anyone is caught hoarding them privately, execute them for treason," Mu Xiong commanded.

"Yes!" The two quickly departed.

"Mr. Chang, what should we do next?" Mu Xiong asked.

"Summon and organize the troops, be ready to defend at any moment. I believe Lu Yunshan and his group will likely attack Mountain City first. So, we need to prepare. Additionally, we should send someone to inform the lords of the other three cities and ask for their reinforcements," Chang Qing advised.

"Alright, I'll draft letters immediately," Mu Xiong said.

After saying that, Mu Xiong wrote three letters, called in three trusted individuals, handed them the letters, and instructed, "Hurry to the other three cities, deliver these letters to the lords, and inform them that I'll be waiting here for their response."

The three individuals took the letters and, after expressing their understanding, left on their journey.

Inside Mountain City, Kong Xu and Zou Ming, with a group of people, were picking up flyers and relaying the Town Lord's orders: collect all the flyers in town and destroy them. Anyone found hoarding them privately would face charges of treason and be executed.

In the town square, a table and a chair were set up. Kong Xu sat there with fifty soldiers guarding the area. A large iron pot was placed on the table. All the collected flyers from the townspeople were thrown into the pot and set ablaze. A crowd had gathered to watch. Once the flyers were reduced to ashes, Kong Xu addressed the onlookers, "Do not believe the baseless words of those conspirators. They won't escape. Soon, you will witness them being executed here by the Town Lord. So, stay in line and do not ignite unnecessary troubles!"

Having said that, Kong Xu gestured, and the soldiers dispersed the crowd. He then had the table and chair removed before returning to Mu Xiong.

The day in Mountain City passed nervously yet peacefully. As night fell, the town was brilliantly illuminated, resembling daylight. Patrols continued, indicating that something significant was about to happen.

Outside the North Gate, within the dense forest, Tianhua, Lu Yunshan, Ali, and Cheng Kong sat around a table inside a house. Lu Yunshan smiled and said, "Just received the news. Mu Xiong has dispatched people to destroy all the flyers!"

"It means he's feeling guilty and fearful in his heart," Tianhua commented.

"Yes! And here's something that will make him even more fearful." Lu Yunshan chuckled, revealing three letters from his pocket.

"Yunshan, what are these?" Tianhua inquired.

"These are letters from Mu Xiong to the lords of the other three cities. I had a hunch that Mu Xiong would send someone to inform them, so I already dispatched people to secretly wait at the East, South, and West Gates. As expected, they soon caught sight of people hastily on the move. Our people subdued them and found these three letters on them," Lu Yunshan explained with a smile.

"Now Mu Xiong is in a tight spot," Tianhua said with a smile.

"Tianhua, tonight, I'll need your assistance again. I want you to cover them in a heavy snowfall," Lu Yunshan requested.

"No problem! I guarantee it'll be a massive snowfall. We'll cover not only the entire Three Cities but also half of them!" Tianhua said with a smile.

"Good, Tianhua, we'll rely on you tonight!" Lu Yunshan said.

As the night grew deeper, silence enveloped the land. The wind blew gently, and within the night sky over Mountain City, a dozen shadows appeared. Like phantoms, they floated in the air, moving in the darkness.

The shadows swirled, and suddenly, large flakes of "snow" began falling from the sky. These "snowflakes" poured down like water released from a dam, covering the entire town.

"What is this?!" Someone looked up and saw the "snowflakes," exclaiming in shock.

Others raised their heads to witness the "snowflakes" cascading from the sky. As they approached, the people realized these were sheets of paper, faintly inscribed with words. The papers landed on the ground, and those who picked them up were dumbfounded—they were the same flyers from daytime! And now, they were descending from the sky...

Could this be a sign from the heavens...?

People's hearts were filled with uncertainty. At this moment, an individual hurriedly ran towards the Lord's Mansion, holding flyers in hand. Upon reaching the entrance, the person saw two figures standing in front of the mansion. Approaching them, the person exclaimed, "Something is not right, the flyers are falling from the sky again!"

As the person spoke, several flyers drifted down like leaves in the wind, landing in front of the Lord's Mansion. The two individuals at the door, upon seeing this, glanced at each other and then at the person's flyers. Hastily, they ushered the person inside.

Mu Xiong had already gone to sleep, and the three individuals arrived at the rear of the mansion. Standing there, they hesitated to knock on the dark door. Meanwhile, flyers were also falling in the courtyard, adding to the urgency felt by those present.

A voice emerged from the darkness, "What are you three doing there?"

As the voice fell, Mu Xiong rose and opened the door. Seeing Mu Xiong, the three immediately knelt down. One of them held up a flyer, saying, "Lord, the flyers from daytime are falling from the sky again tonight!"

Mu Xiong approached, taking the flyer from the person's hand. After examining it and glancing at the ones on the ground, he looked up to the slowly descending flyers in the mountain town.

Staring into the half-lit sky, a thought struck Mu Xiong. He shouted to the three, "Go, immediately fetch Mr. Chang!"

The three, upon hearing this, hastily stood up and ran outside.

Mu Xiong remained, gazing at the pitch-black night sky, muttering, "Lan Yunshan, Tianhua. It seems I've underestimated both of you!" After a moment, he turned and went back inside.

When Chang Qing arrived, Mu Xiong was sitting in the room, contemplating the situation. Seeing Chang Qing enter, he said, "Mr. Chang, you just came from outside. Have you seen the situation out there?"

"I'm already aware. It seems we underestimated Lan Yunshan," Chang Qing sighed.

"Yes, we fell into Lan Yunshan's trap. The flyers today were meant to make us vigilant at night, prompting us to send people to guard and find out who is distributing the flyers. In doing so, we play right into their hands. The patrolling individuals, upon seeing flyers falling from the sky, will think it's a sign from the heavens. Tomorrow will surely be a city in turmoil! It seems this time it's truly the will of heaven!" Mu Xiong explained.

"This is indeed our oversight. We didn't anticipate Tianhua's ability. But, Lord, there's no need to be disheartened. I can issue an order right now: if anyone leaks the information about the flyers falling from the sky tonight, they will be executed!" Chang Qing suggested.

"But can we truly silence everyone's mouths?" Mu Xiong sighed.

"This is a makeshift solution. Currently, we don't have a better option. Since Lan Yunshan is competing with us using divine signs, let's compete with him in the same manner. Let's see whose signs the heavens favor at dawn!" Chang Qing proposed.

"Yes, for now, that's our only choice! There's one more thing: the individuals we sent to deliver messages. Why haven't we received any news from them until now? It seems their situation is precarious!" Mu Xiong expressed concern.

"At this point, we can only say it's a possibility. Before we see the true facts, let's not jump to conclusions. Let's wait a bit longer!" Chang Qing advised.

While the two were discussing, Zou Ming and Kong Xu arrived. Seeing Mu Xiong and Chang Qing, they hesitated for a moment before saying, "Lord, Mr. Chang, regarding the situation outside..."

"We are already aware! Zou Ming, Kong Xu, both of you immediately gather all patrolling individuals in the Mountain City. Inform them: if anyone leaks even the slightest information about the flyers falling from the sky tonight, execute them! Simultaneously, dispatch people to collect and destroy all the flyers! These two tasks must be completed before dawn!" Mu Xiong instructed.

"Yes!" The two acknowledged, then hurriedly exited.

After their departure, Mu Xiong looked at Chang Qing, pondered for a moment, and asked, "It seems we need to prepare quickly this time. It looks like they will have larger actions soon!"

"Yes! In that case, I'll go out now to see if there are any unexpected developments!" Chang Qing said, standing up. Afterward, he left the room.

Mu Xiong watched as Chang Qing departed, smiling slightly. "Unexpectedly, war is approaching again after fifty years! Well, well... Tianhua, Lan Yunshan, I want to see what you'll do next!" Saying this, he sat for a while longer before getting up and heading inside.

Inside the Mountain City, the flyers continued to fall. Zou Ming and Kong Xu had gathered all the patrolling individuals in the city, instructing them about the flyers falling from the sky tonight. Anyone revealing information would face execution. Simultaneously, they dispatched others to collect and destroy all the flyers.

"Understood!" The crowd responded in unison.

"Good, let's start the operation now!" Kong Xu ordered.

Upon hearing this, the crowd dispersed. Soon, only Zou Ming and Kong Xu were left.

"I can understand why the Lord wants us to collect and destroy the flyers, but why forbid people from discussing what happened tonight?" Kong Xu asked Zou Ming in confusion.

"I don't know about that, but I think since the Lord ordered us to do this, he must have his reasons! Let's not worry about it for now; let's first carry out the tasks the Lord assigned!" Zou Ming suggested.

"Alright! Let's go and take a look," Kong Xu said. The two then left together.

In a large residence, Chang Qing sat in a pavilion, watching the flyers slowly descend from the sky. Lost in thought, he gazed at the courtyard filled with flyers. After a long while, he sighed and said, "The grudge between Master Yu and Tianlong in the past, with Tianlong leaving in sorrow. I didn't expect that now it would be resolved by his son. Tianlong indeed has a good son..."

Chang Qing finished speaking, sighed a few more times, glanced at the empty sky, shook his head, and then stood up, walking towards the room.

Meanwhile, the dark figures in the sky continued to drift back and forth, while people on the ground busily collected all the visible flyers from the town. In this way, the sky and the ground remained in a state of tension.

As dawn broke, the earth gradually became clearer, and the falling of the flyers from the sky ceased. People, who had been collecting flyers all night, looked at the still-white ground. Some shook their heads in disbelief and sighed, continuing to bend down to pick up the remaining flyers.

In the early morning, as people who had been sleeping woke up and saw the countless flyers covering the ground, each person wore a puzzled expression. "What's going on

with these flyers? Why are there so many? I didn't hear any commotion last night. Could they have fallen from the sky?"

While people were still contemplating the situation, knocking sounds echoed. When doors opened, officials stood at the entrances, commanding, "Immediately collect and submit all the flyers from your courtyard. Anyone caught hiding them will face execution!"

The flyers were the same as yesterday's, and the orders were identical. When there's a command, it must be obeyed. Before these individuals could comprehend the situation, they picked up brooms and began sweeping their courtyards, then handed over all the flyers to the officials stationed outside.

Another tense yet silent day passed...

At the north gate, within the dense forest, Tianhua and his three companions sat in a room. Smiles adorned their faces as they discussed the previous night. Lanyunshan chuckled, "Tianhua, the 'snow' last night was perfect! Mu Xiong and his people were busy for a whole day and night. Moreover, he forbade the soldiers who patrolled last night from mentioning the falling flyers. Haha... It seems Mu Xiong has sensed that something is amiss. He's afraid. Tianhua, tonight, we continue..."

"Alright, no problem!" Tianhua agreed, smiling.

In the late night, just like the previous night, flyers began to descend slowly. When people reported this to Mu Xiong, he made the same decision as the night before: no one was to speak of tonight's events, and all the flyers must be collected and destroyed!

The next morning, as people woke up to see the ground covered in flyers, they once again felt astonished. Before they could understand what had happened, the knocking on the doors began. The orders were the same as before, and people resumed their busy activities...

Flyers continued to rain down for five consecutive days. On the fifth day, as people woke up and saw the flyers on the ground, they didn't hesitate. Without thinking twice, they grabbed brooms and started sweeping, placing the flyers at their doorsteps. People had become accustomed to this routine over the past few days, saving them from the early-morning visits by the government troops.

On the sixth day, there were no flyers in the morning...

Although the flyers had been confiscated and destroyed, and patrols were ordered to remain silent, the people in the town inadvertently started discussing the flyers:

"What's going on with these flyers?"

"We could see them every morning for the past few days, but today they're gone. Did you hear any noise last night?"

"This doesn't seem like the work of humans. I heard that since the first day the flyers appeared, the Lord dispatched patrols throughout the town. Who could have the audacity to distribute so many flyers in every courtyard under the watchful eyes of everyone?"

"Not human? Could it be something from the heavens?!"

"Well, you never know. Perhaps it's a signal from the heavens?"

"Don't talk nonsense. Be careful!"

"Why fear? Maybe it's just divine will..."

...

Inside a room, Mu Xiong sat silently in a large chair, while Chang Qing, Zou Ming, and Kong Xu stood nearby, exchanging glances.

"Zou Ming, what's the situation in the town now?" Mu Xiong inquired.

"Everything is normal in the town. No anomalies have been found! But there is one thing..." Zou Ming cautiously began.

"What is it? Speak!" Mu Xiong demanded.

"Some people in the town are discussing the origin of the flyers privately," Zou Ming said.

"What are they saying?" Mu Xiong asked.

"Well, it's..." Zou Ming hesitated.

"Speak whatever you have to say!" Mu Xiong raised his voice.

"Those people are speculating about the origin of the flyers, saying it's divine will..." Zou Ming cautiously stated.

After Zou Ming spoke, he lowered his head, avoiding eye contact with Mu Xiong. Mu Xiong remained silent. After a while, Zou Ming looked up at Mu Xiong.

"It seems Lan Yunshan's goal has been achieved. Next, they may launch even bigger actions!" Chang Qing suddenly commented.

"Yes, Mr. Chang is right! Now, we should prepare in case of a sudden attack by Tianhua and his followers. Zou Ming, Kong Xu, go and issue orders. Command everyone to be on standby, increase vigilance, and be ready for combat at any moment!" Mu Xiong instructed.

"Yes!" The two acknowledged and then left the room.

"Lord, I'll take my leave as well!" Chang Qing said.

"Mr. Chang, there's something I'd like to discuss with you," Mu Xiong said.

"Oh, what is it?" Chang Qing asked.

"I'm thinking about where Lan Yunshan might be hiding," Mu Xiong stated.

"Lord, are you suggesting..." Chang Qing looked surprised.

"Mr. Chang, your thinking is correct! That's exactly what I mean! Once we capture Lan Yunshan, without a leader, Tianhua will be alone and easier to deal with!" Mu Xiong said with a smile.

"All right! I'll take care of it!" Chang Qing thought for a moment and said.

"Mr. Chang, I appreciate your assistance with this matter!" Mu Xiong expressed gratitude.

"If there's nothing else, I'll take my leave now!" Chang Qing said.

"Sure!" Mu Xiong agreed.

Chang Qing left, and Mu Xiong sat there, contemplating for a long time. Eventually, he smiled and stood up, heading inside.

At night, the cold wind began to bite. The weather made it inappropriate to sit outside and chat in the courtyard. People gathered indoors, closing their doors, discussing various topics. What exactly were they talking about? Only they knew...

Outside the north gate, in the dense forest, in a room, Tianhua and Lan Yunshan sat inside. Cheng Kong and Ali had gone to bed early. Tianhua and Lan Yunshan, with something on their minds, sat there talking.

"Tianhua, we will take action in a few days. Are you ready?" Lan Yunshan asked.

"Well, what's there to prepare for? But deep down, I still feel a bit reluctant," Tianhua said.

"Reluctant? Are you afraid it might affect innocent people?" Lan Yunshan asked.

"Yes, that's right!" Tianhua replied.

"But war is like this! Some things are beyond our control. Sacrifices are inevitable if we want to gain something. What we can control is to let the departed rest in peace and ensure that those who survive can live better lives. Although they lost their lives, they would think the sacrifice is worth it. I believe they would want to see their loved ones and friends live better lives," Lan Yunshan said.

"That's true, but they are still innocent people," Tianhua said sadly.

"Tianhua..."

Just as Lan Yunshan was about to say something, Tianhua interrupted him. Frowning, he looked into the darkness and, after a while, said, "Yunshan, we have guests!"

"Who?" Lan Yunshan asked in confusion.

"An old friend!" Tianhua said.

In the endless night, silence enveloped the surroundings. A dark figure swiftly moved through the dense forest. The speed was fast, and the sound of trees rushing past filled the air...

0