Chapter 43: The Onset of War
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Tianhua, who is this old friend?" asked Lan Yunshan, puzzled.

"Yunshan, for now, don't ask. You'll know soon enough!" Tianhua said with a smile.

Having said that, Tianhua looked into the darkness. Seeing him like this, Lan Yunshan refrained from asking further and also peered into the darkness.

After a while, everything remained silent. Curious, Lan Yunshan looked into the darkness, filled with doubts. He glanced at Tianhua, thinking about saying something but decided against it.

"Mr. Chang, why hide at such a late hour?" Tianhua suddenly called out.

As he spoke, a dark figure instantly appeared in front of Tianhua and Lan Yunshan. Tianhua calmly sat there, and when Lan Yunshan saw the sudden appearance of the figure, he was surprised. However, when he recognized the face of the person, he exclaimed, "Mr. Chang!"

The person was indeed Chang Qing!

"Tianhua, unexpectedly, your power has grown significantly since we last met!" Chang Qing stared at Tianhua.

"Mr. Chang, at this late hour, what brings you here?" Tianhua asked.

"I came with a matter on my mind!" Chang Qing said indifferently.

"Oh, I wonder what Mr. Chang's concern is?" Tianhua inquired.

"Mr. Lu should be well aware of it," Chang Qing said.

Upon hearing this, Lan Yunshan thought for a moment and said, "Me? Let me think... I think Mr. Chang came at this late hour perhaps for the sake of the younger generation!"

"Well said, Mr. Lu. Indeed, with a simple leaflet, the Mountain City has been stirred into unrest. Let the Lord be unsettled!" Chang Qing clapped his hands and said with a laugh.

"Mr. Chang, you're too kind! In that case, Mr. Chang, do you plan for Mr. Yunshan to return tonight or otherwise?" Lan Yunshan asked.

"With Tianhua here, it's impossible for you to take him back!" Chang Qing looked at Tianhua and said.

"In that case, Mr. Chang, how do you plan?" Lan Yunshan asked.

"Given the circumstances, I think we can only give it a try. At least this way, we can explain ourselves when we go back!" Chang Qing sighed.

"Mr. Chang, do you think you can give Mu Xiong a satisfactory explanation tonight?" Tianhua asked.

"It's hard to say! But I think it might be possible!" Chang Qing said.

"Do you believe what you're saying will come true?" Tianhua asked.

"I don't know. We won't know until it's over!" Chang Qing said.

As soon as Chang Qing finished speaking, Tianhua suddenly leaped up. With one palm, he pushed Lan Yunshan away and then kicked towards Chang Qing. Chang Qing retreated, leaping into the courtyard.

"Yunshan, go inside first. I'll handle this!" Tianhua said.

Lan Yunshan nodded and turned to walk into the house. When Chang Qing saw this, he shouted, "Want to leave!" At the same time, he waved his hands, and numerous earthen spikes flew towards Lan Yunshan.

Tianhua rushed forward to block the spikes. When the spikes approached Tianhua, they stopped moving, and at the same time, Tianhua waved his hand, and the spikes turned back. Seeing this, Chang Qing leaped into the air, and as he did, he swung his sleeves, causing the spikes to fall to the ground.

By now, Tianhua had also arrived in the courtyard, standing in front of Chang Qing. Chang Qing looked at him, and behind him suddenly appeared a giant warrior. The warrior, as it appeared, wielded a long sword and swung it towards Tianhua. When the sword was about to hit, a huge sword appeared in the air, blocking the long sword. Gradually, a large hand appeared on the hilt, followed by the arm, and slowly, the entire body emerged.

This earth-made figure was about the same size as Chang Qing's warrior. The earth figure separated the long sword and then swung the giant sword towards the warrior. The warrior raised its sword to meet the attack. After a dozen moves, the battle was still inconclusive.

Watching from the side, Chang Qing thought to himself, "Tianhua's current strength is far beyond what it used to be. At this rate, I might end up losing to him. Now that Lan Yunshan is not here, attempting an ambush is impossible. It seems I have to retreat first and deal with it later when the opportunity arises!"

With that in mind, Chang Qing leaped backward, and the warrior separated the giant sword. Chang Qing then took out a bow and arrows from his back and suddenly shot several arrows towards Tianhua. At this moment, Chang Qing leaped into the darkness. Tianhua, seeing this, had the earth figure jump in front of him, waving the giant sword to block the arrows. Chang Qing had already retreated far away. Tianhua stopped and paid no further attention.

Inside the house, seeing that the battle had stopped, Lan Yunshan walked out and came to Tianhua, saying, "Tianhua, are you alright?"

"I'm fine! It seems Mu Xiong has realized that things are not going well and is planning to make a move against you!" Tianhua said.

"Yes! This is just right; it shows that they are starting to feel uneasy!" Lan Yunshan said.

"Yeah... Yunshan, it seems you can't wander around randomly before they make a move. You need to stay by my side. Otherwise, if they find an opportunity, all our previous efforts will be in vain!" Tianhua said.

"Tianhua, then I'll trouble you!" Lan Yunshan said.

"Let's go! Yunshan, it's late. Let's go inside!" Tianhua said.

Having said that, the two turned and entered the house.

Inside the house, Mu Xiong and Chang Qing sat facing each other.

"Now that Lan Yunshan and Tianhua are together, we have no chance to act!" Chang Qing said.

"Then send people to monitor them closely. I don't think they can be together all the time. As long as there is an opportunity, we can take action!" Mu Xiong said.

"Although that's feasible, I'm afraid they will act soon. In that case, our efforts will be in vain!" Chang Qing said.

"What do you think we should do?" Mu Xiong asked.

"The letter I sent to the other three city lords last time, I suspect Lan Yunshan intercepted it. This time, I want to go there in person!" Chang Qing said.

"Well, that's a good plan! If you go in person, there should be no mistake!" Mu Xiong said.

"Alright! It's urgent! I'll set out now!" Chang Qing said.

"Okay! Mr. Chang, please!" Mu Xiong said.

At this point, Chang Qing stood up. After bidding farewell to Mu Xiong, he walked out of the house. Slowly walking towards the door, Chang Qing said to the two guards, "Go and prepare a horse for me!" One of them hurriedly went inside, and after a while, he led a horse to Chang Qing.

Chang Qing took

the reins, mounted the horse, and urged it towards the east gate. As he reached the gate, the guard stopped him, saying, "Mr. Chang, what important matter brings you out so late?"

"Open the gate quickly! I have official business to attend to!" Chang Qing said.

Hearing this, the guard rushed to open the gate. Once the gate was open, Chang Qing urged his horse and galloped out of the city.

The night was silent. Apart from the sound of the wind rustling through the trees, there were the rhythmic sounds of hooves...

"Listen, it seems like someone is coming!" Several people hidden in the darkness said in low voices.

"At this hour, why are there still people on the road? Let's take a look; perhaps they are delivering a message out of the city!" someone whispered. After saying that, a few people turned to look in the direction of the hoofbeats.

Chang Qing was swiftly riding through the dark night. Just as he reached a certain spot, a faint sound rang out from the darkness, and a long arrow shot towards his back. Chang Qing, hearing the faint sound, was already prepared. When the arrow arrived, it suddenly bounced off!

In the darkness, several people were surprised to see this. They exchanged glances, picked up their bows, and shot several arrows towards Chang Qing. However, when the arrows approached Chang Qing, they all suddenly deflected away! Seeing this, the group tried to continue shooting arrows, but by then, Chang Qing's horse had already gone far!

Jumping out of the darkness, the group reached the spot where the arrows fell. One of them crouched down, picked up a long arrow, examined it, and said, "Who is this person? How could they have such ability?" The others looked at each other in confusion, shaking their heads.

"You guys stay here and keep watch. I'll go back and report what happened!" one person said.

The others nodded, and that person turned and left, quickly disappearing into the darkness.

Chang Qing urged his horse, and soon he arrived outside the Mountain City at dusk. The city gates were already closed. Chang Qing shouted to open the gates. A voice from the city walls shouted, "Who goes there?!"

"I am Chang Qing from Mountain City. I have urgent matters to discuss with the Lord, even in the deep night!" Chang Qing shouted from below the city!

The person on the city walls, having only heard of Chang Qing's name but never seen him, squinted in the dim light, vaguely seeing an elderly man on a horse below. After thinking for a moment, he said, "Mr. Chang, opening the city gates at night is not a trivial matter. Let me go back and inform before we proceed. Please wait a moment, Mr. Chang!"

Chang Qing, hearing this, pondered for a moment and said, "By saying that, you clearly don't trust me!"

"Mr. Chang, the night is dim; it's just a precaution!" the person said.

Chang Qing, hearing this from below the city walls, thought for a moment, then leaped up. His body had already landed on the city wall. Seeing this, the people on the wall were astonished, hurriedly gathering around! Chang Qing looked at them without saying anything. The people on the city wall stared at him in surprise, then glanced at each other, unsure of how to proceed.

"Mr. Chang, your reputation is well-deserved!" the person who spoke earlier approached and said.

"Now do you believe?" Chang Qing said.

"Mr. Chang, please don't be angry. We acted on orders. We were just following orders!" the person said.

"Let's not dwell on that! Can I enter the city now?" Chang Qing asked.

"Mr. Chang, please go ahead. We will take care of your horse downstairs!" the person said cautiously.

Chang Qing, upon hearing this, leaped down from the city wall and disappeared into the night.

After Chang Qing left, the group approached and said, "Boss, was that the legendary Chang Qing?"

"I think so! Besides him, who else in Mountain City could have such abilities?" one person looked at the pitch-black Mountain City and sighed.

"This power is too strong! It's a bit unbelievable! Boss, it's so late, why did Chang Qing personally come to the city to see the Lord? I wonder what major event has happened in Mountain City?" the others commented on the side.

"I heard that Chang Qing rarely appears in public! Coming here himself at this late hour, it seems something significant has happened in Mountain City!" the person said.

Before others could say more, the person continued, "Each of you return to your posts!"

Everyone agreed and dispersed. The person looked at the city for a while before turning and leaving.

The grand gates of "Imperial Dragon Mansion" shone with golden brilliance, two large lanterns hanging in front illuminated the front courtyard, and two guards on either side were imposing and vigorous!

Chang Qing arrived at the front of the "Imperial Dragon Mansion" shortly after, standing at the door. The guards stopped him and asked, "Who goes there?"

"I am Chang Qing from Mountain City. I come late at night to discuss urgent matters with the Lord!" Chang Qing said.

"Oh, it turns out to be Mr. Chang. Please wait, Mr. Chang. I will inform and lead the way!" someone said. After speaking, the person turned and walked inside.

After a while, the person came out with an elderly man. When the old man saw Chang Qing, he smiled and greeted, "Mr. Chang, it's been a long time! Coming here so late at night, forgive us for not welcoming you from afar. Please, Mr. Chang, let's go inside and talk."

The elderly man who came out was the steward of "Imperial Dragon Mansion." When Lord Yulong established the "Three Cities and One Town," he followed Lord Yulong to work as a steward in the "Imperial Dragon Mansion." Unless it was a major matter that required Lord Yulong's personal decision, he would generally handle everything. It had been fifty years since then. His last name was Zhang, so everyone called him Steward Zhang, and over time, people almost forgot his real name.

"Since that's the case, Mr. Chang, please speak inside." Steward Zhang said. After speaking, he led Chang Qing inside the mansion.

Chang Qing followed Steward Zhang into the hall, and the two sat down. Steward Zhang asked, "Mr. Chang, what important matters require you to come late at night?"

Chang Qing looked at Steward Zhang and recounted the whole incident from start to finish. After finishing, he said, "Steward Zhang, I came late at night to discuss this matter with the Lord and seek his decision!"

Steward Zhang, after listening, remained silent for a moment and then said, "Mr. Chang, how to handle this matter should be decided by you. Lord Yulong has already given instructions that during his seclusion, whatever happens in the 'Three Cities and One Town' should be decided by the respective city and town lords."

"Seclusion?! When did this happen?!" Chang Qing asked in surprise.

"It has been a year already!" Steward Zhang said.

"Why wasn't it notified to the other city and town lords?!" Chang Qing asked.

"I don't know. When Lord Yulong closed himself off, it seemed very hasty. After giving me brief instructions, he left in a hurry before I could ask more questions!" Steward Zhang said.

"That's quite strange!" Chang Qing said.

"Yeah! I find it strange too. But since Lord Yulong did it this way, there must be a reason!" Steward Zhang said.

"Well, we can only think that way for now!" Chang Qing said.

"Mr. Chang, since Lord Yulong has given such instructions, you don't need to worry too much. Go ahead and handle it freely! Regarding the matter of 'Rimoc Castle' mobilizing troops, once

you have any movement on your side, we will send reinforcements from here!" Steward Zhang said.

"Alright, with Steward Zhang's words, I can rest assured!" Chang Qing said.

After chatting for a while, Steward Zhang said, "Mr. Chang, you've come late at night, and you must be tired from the journey. I think I should arrange a room for you to rest now!"

"Sure, thank you, Steward Zhang, for your trouble!" Chang Qing said!

Steward Zhang personally led Chang Qing to a room, pushed open the door, and led Chang Qing inside. After Chang Qing entered, Steward Zhang smiled and said, "Mr. Chang, it's already late at night, so I won't disturb you. Get some rest. We can discuss the specific matters tomorrow morning!"

"Alright, Steward Zhang. Thank you for your hospitality tonight! You should rest early too!" Chang Qing said.

After Steward Zhang casually spoke a few words, he left on his own. Chang Qing closed the door, troubled by something, and sat at the table, unable to find any sleep! After a while, Chang Qing sighed deeply, stood up, walked to the window, and pushed it open, standing there quietly.

Outside the window, the lights were bright, illuminating a small pond, calm without ripples. A small bridge and pavilion faced each other from a distance. The plants by the pond lacked a bit of charm.

Seeing this scene, Chang Qing couldn't help but sigh, "I didn't expect to see such a beautiful sight here! " Chang Qing stood there for a while, sighing, "Unfortunately! Perhaps this beautiful scenery will belong to someone else soon!"

Chang Qing watched for a while, closed the window, and went to sleep!

The night remained quiet, but in a certain place, there was a commotion...

In the early morning, Chang Qing woke up early. When he opened the door, someone was already waiting outside. Seeing Chang Qing open the door, the person hurriedly said, "Mr. Chang, the washing items are ready. Please come this way!" After speaking, the person led Chang Qing forward.

Chang Qing followed behind, asking, "Where is Steward Zhang now?!"

"Steward Zhang is already waiting in the hall. After Mr. Chang washes up, I'll take Mr. Chang over!" The person turned and replied.

Quietly, Chang Qing followed the person. In no time, they arrived at the hall, where Steward Zhang was already waiting!

Seeing Chang Qing coming in, Steward Zhang hastily stood up and greeted, "Mr. Chang, good morning!"

"Good morning, Steward Zhang!" Chang Qing replied.

"Someone, set the table!" Steward Zhang gestured for Chang Qing to sit down while calling out!

After both had taken their seats, Steward Zhang asked, "Mr. Chang, did you rest well last night?"

"Very well." Chang Qing replied.

While they were talking, the breakfast was arranged. Steward Zhang said, "Please!"

As they ate and talked, soon both finished breakfast. Chang Qing said, "Steward Zhang, I think I should go back now. The Lord is waiting for my message!"

"Mr. Chang, considering the current situation, I won't keep you any longer. As for the mutual support we discussed yesterday, as soon as there's any movement on your side, we will provide full assistance from here. Mr. Chang, you can rest assured!" Steward Zhang said.

"Thank you, Steward Zhang! I'll take my leave now!" Chang Qing said.

"Mr. Chang, let me escort you!" Steward Zhang stood up and said.

Steward Zhang accompanied Chang Qing to the door, calling out, "Someone, prepare a horse for Mr. Chang!"

Soon, the horse Chang Qing left outside the city the night before was brought to him. Chang Qing glanced at it, mounted, and said from the horse, "Steward Zhang, farewell!"

"Take care, Mr. Chang! Be cautious after you return!" Steward Zhang said.

Chang Qing nodded, turned the horse, and rode away, leaving a trail of dust...

Steward Zhang watched Chang Qing leave for a long time, sighed, and said, "Unexpectedly, with such an event, I hope, my lord, that you can come out at this critical moment!" After saying that, he looked into the distance for a moment before turning back into the house.

Chang Qing returned to Mountain City and went straight to the Mu Xiong Mansion. Mu Xiong welcomed him, and the two went to the hall, where Mu Xiong inquired about the situation. Chang Qing briefly mentioned Lord Yulong's seclusion.

Mu Xiong remained silent for a while and then said, "Since Lord Yulong is in seclusion, we shouldn't disturb him! Besides, there's no need for Lord Yulong to intervene in this matter. The forces of the 'Three Cities and One Town' are more than sufficient to deal with Lu Yunshan and the others!"

"I also think so. In that case, I will immediately go to Moonflow and Starswater for another visit!" Chang Qing said.

"Mr. Chang, you just returned, and the journey is exhausting. I suggest you rest for a while before setting out again!" Mu Xiong said.

"This is not a problem. This matter is urgent, and it's better to hurry. I'll go now!" Chang Qing said, then got up and walked towards the door.

Mu Xiong accompanied him to the door, and Chang Qing had someone bring his horse. He mounted the horse, said, "Mu Xiong, farewell!"

"Take care, Mr. Chang! After you go back, be cautious!" Mu Xiong said.

Chang Qing nodded, turned his horse, whipped it, and quickly disappeared...

Two days later, Chang Qing returned to Mountain City, bringing back the responses from the two city lords: the two cities would prepare immediately, and as soon as there was any movement in Mountain City, they would send reinforcements immediately!

Mu Xiong, upon hearing this, felt relieved, saying, "With this, there's nothing to worry about!"

"But there's still one thing we need to pay attention to," Chang Qing said.

"You mean Tianhua," Mu Xiong said.

"Yes. We can't underestimate Tianhua's power. He plays a crucial role in this war. Without him, Lu Yunshan might not dare to do everything he has done today!" Chang Qing said.

"Well, Tianhua is indeed a troublesome character, but I believe if we join forces, even if we both suffer losses, when the troops from the other three cities arrive, Lu Yunshan and his group will be powerless!" Mu Xiong said.

"That sounds good, but when I saw him last night, I found that his power seems to have increased again! Moreover, he now has the 'Seal Axis'!" Chang Qing said.

"The 'Seal Axis' has limited uses, and he won't use it casually. As for his increased power, I think if we join forces, even if it can't be as easy as last time, it will still consume most of his strength. I believe that level of power is not something to be feared!" Mu Xiong said.

"Now we can only think this way!" Chang Qing said.

"Mr. Chang, you have worked hard these days. Go back and rest for a while. Perhaps a big battle is imminent!" Mu Xiong said.

Chang Qing agreed and got up to take his leave, heading outside!

In the next few days, the "Three Cities and One Town" quieted down, completely devoid of any disturbances. The eerie silence made people uneasy and fearful. Before the storm, perhaps such quietness was expected...

One afternoon, Mu Xiong and Chang Qing were in the garden of the Lord's Mansion. Mu Xiong looked at the scenery, feeling somewhat strange, and said, "There's been no news from Lu Yunshan and his group these past few days! Everything is too quiet!"

"Yes! Although this quiet life used to be normal, it feels unusual now! It makes people feel uneasy!" Chang Qing said.

"People are strange. Everything being normal is what the heart desires, but the heart always wants something

to happen to feel at ease!" Mu Xiong said.

Chang Qing listened and said nothing, looking at the garden. Mu Xiong glanced at him, then called out, "Servant!"

Shortly after, someone arrived, and Mu Xiong ordered, "Prepare some wine and food!"

The person acknowledged and quickly left.

"We haven't had a good drink together for a long time!" Mu Xiong said.

"Yes! It's been a long time!" Chang Qing thought for a moment, sighed, and said.

When the wine and food arrived, Mu Xiong picked up the wine bottle, filled Chang Qing's cup, and said, "Today, let's have a good drink without thinking about anything!"

"Good!" Chang Qing raised his cup.

The two of them chatted and drank, sharing life stories. Unknowingly, time passed quickly. As the sun set, a cold wind began to rise. Chang Qing looked at the setting sun and sighed, "The sunset in the City of Sunsets should be the most beautiful at this time!"

Mu Xiong, upon hearing this, turned to look at the sunset for a while, then said, "Yes! It's been a long time since I went to see the sunset in the City of Sunsets!"

What was the sunset like in the City of Sunsets under the sunlight? Not many knew. But under the sunset, Mountain City was also beautiful!

"Lord, Lu Yunshan and Tianhua's troops are waiting outside the north gate!" Zou Ming hurriedly came to report to Mu Xiong.

Mu Xiong, hearing this, hurriedly stood up, ordered someone to prepare horses, and went directly to the city wall outside the north gate.

Outside the north gate, warhorses neighed, forming neat formations. On two large flags, one with a big "Lu" character and the other with a big "Tian" character, were fluttering in the wind...

0