Chapter 44: Reinforcements
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underneath the city wall, Lu Yunshan and Tianhua rode side by side at the front, while Mu Xiong on the city wall frowned as he observed the two and their neatly arranged troops behind them.

"Mu Master, what do you think Lu Yunshan and Tianhua are up to, gathering people and positioning themselves with horses and spears here?" Mu Xiong shouted from the city wall.

"Lu Yunshan, Tianhua, what exactly do you intend by entangling the people like this, holding spears on horseback here?" Mu Xiong asked.

"Mu Master, you should know very well what we intend. We're just making it clear," Lu Yunshan replied with a smile.

"Lu Yunshan, you traitor! The 'Three Cities and One Town' are prosperous now, and everyone is well-fed and clothed. Yet, you dare to incite rebellion, gathering people to revolt. Such acts against heaven and humanity, don't you feel any guilt?" Mu Xiong shouted.

"Mu Master, this prosperity and well-fed lifestyle you mentioned might be referring to yourself!" Lu Yunshan retorted with a mocking smile.

"Lu Yunshan, don't talk nonsense here," Mu Xiong replied sternly.

"Nonsense? Can't you see, or do the people here not see? The Mountain City has long been prosperous, with a few areas now declining. People understand it, but they choose to stay silent out of fear!" Lu Yunshan shouted.

"Lu Yunshan..." Mu Xiong began.

"Mu Master, let me ask you. Where are the families outside the north gate now?" Lu Yunshan inquired.

"You..." Mu Xiong's face turned grim, not knowing how to respond.

"People on the city wall, think about it. How did Mu Xiong treat you in the past? Now that things have come to this, do you still want to shed blood and sacrifice for him?" Lu Yunshan shouted.

Hearing this, Mu Xiong was furious. He grabbed a longbow from someone nearby, nocked an arrow, and swiftly shot it towards Lu Yunshan. However, Lu Yunshan, unfazed, stood still without dodging. The arrow, about to hit him, suddenly deflected away and landed far on the ground. Mu Xiong, now even angrier, looked at Tianhua beside Lu Yunshan. Without hesitation, he took another arrow from the quiver, pulled the bowstring, and prepared to shoot, but a hand suddenly intervened, stopping Mu Xiong.

Mu Xiong turned and saw Chang Qing - quiet and observant. Chang Qing shook his head at Mu Xiong. Realizing the situation, Mu Xiong put down the bow and arrow. Chang Qing gazed at the scene below, lost in thought.

Early in the morning, Chang Qing learned about this news and came straight here. However, he didn't rush. Throughout the journey, he pondered over some issues. He knew this day would come sooner or later, but when it finally arrived, he couldn't help feeling a bit anxious.

"Tianhua, do you realize the consequences your actions will bring to the people of the 'Three Cities and One Town'? Once war breaks out, countless homes may be destroyed, innocent people may be displaced, or even lose their lives! How can you bear such a heavy burden?" Chang Qing said with a heavy heart.

"Mr. Chang, hearing such words from you is quite unexpected!" Tianhua replied coldly.

Chang Qing blushed slightly, hastily adding, "Do you really want to see such an outcome?"

"Mr. Chang, do you care about the well-being of the people in the world? This is truly a blessing for them!" Lu Yunshan laughed loudly.

Chang Qing, standing on the city wall, felt a burning sensation on his face. He stood there without saying a word.

Lu Yunshan turned to Tianhua below and said with a smile, "It seems even Mu Xiong is afraid now!"

"Mr. Chang, what was the scene of the war fifty years ago? How did the conflict with Boss Han go that night, and what methods were used?" Tianhua shouted from below.

Chang Qing remained silent, staring down below.

"Mu Xiong, take some time to think. If you surrender the city, we won't make things difficult for you!" Lu Yunshan called out.

Mu Xiong, furious, shouted, "Lu Yunshan, dreaming of me surrendering the city? Forget it!"

"Mu Xiong, at this point, you have no say in the matter!" Tianhua coldly declared from below.

"Mu Xiong, listen carefully. Starting now, we'll give you an hour to consider. When time is up, we will immediately attack the city!" Lu Yunshan shouted.

A strong wind blew, causing everyone to instinctively close their eyes. The two flags below, fluttering in the wind, made a crisp "peeling" sound.

In the distance, within a grove, there was a secluded place. Inside a house, two people were present: a young man playing with an adorable little girl.

"Big Brother Ali, where did Tianhua and the others go?" Little Bell blinked her big eyes, looking at Ali.

"They went to a very distant place to handle some matters," Ali said, looking into the distance.

"A very distant place..." Little Bell also looked towards the horizon, her eyes full of curiosity. After thinking for a moment, she continued, "What kind of place is a very distant place?"

Ali was momentarily stunned, thinking for a moment, and said, "A very distant place is somewhere our eyes can't see."

Little Bell nodded as if understanding and said, "Oh! When Tianhua and the others come back, can they bring back Dad and Grandpa from the very distant place?"

Ali, feeling a slight soreness in his nose, looked at Little Bell with a smile and said, "Yes."

Little Bell looked at Ali and suddenly ran around the yard, shouting, "Oh... Oh... We can see Dad and Grandpa very soon!"

Ali watched the cheerful Little Bell, feeling a pang in his heart. After watching for a while, he looked up at the sky, recalling the conversation he had with Tianhua the previous night.

"Ali, tonight I will leave with Yunshan and the others!" Tianhua said.

"Really, I can finally go with you guys to teach Mu Xiong and his gang a lesson!" Ali exclaimed excitedly.

"No, Ali, you have to stay here!" Tianhua said.

"Why?" Ali exclaimed in surprise.

"Because Little Bell still needs someone to take care of her. We can't bring her with us," Tianhua explained.

"But why me? I want to go with you!" Ali protested.

"Ali, I can understand your feelings, but Little Bell is still a child. We can't leave behind many cruel scenes in her young mind. I hope you can understand," Tianhua said.

After hearing this, Ali stared at Tianhua for a long time, then nodded slowly, saying, "Alright, Tianhua! I promise you!"

Tianhua, hearing this, patted Ali on the shoulder with a smile and said, "That's what brothers should be like!"

"However, Tianhua, I have a condition for agreeing. You also have

to agree to my condition," Ali said with a smile.

"What condition?" Tianhua asked curiously.

"Help me give Mu Xiong a good beating!" Ali said loudly.

Tianhua, after hearing this, nodded with a smile, saying, "Rest assured! I agree to this condition!"

"Okay, that's settled!" Ali said with a smile, extending his palm. He looked at Tianhua with a smile and then looked forward to their clasped hands.

Clap...

The palms met, and then the two burst into laughter...

Chapter 44: Reinforcements

The night deepened, a gentle breeze rustling through the branches, shadows dancing in the moonlight. Laughter echoed, carried away by the wind, drifting into the distance...

"Tianhua, you will surely fulfill the promise you made to me. I believe in you!" Ali looked at the sky, silently expressing his trust.

On top of the city wall, Mu Xiong observed Chang Qing and remarked, "Mr. Chang, with Tianhua here, we need reinforcements from the other three cities; otherwise, it will be challenging to defend Mountain City Town."

"You are right, Master Mu. Since we have some time now, send Zou Ming and Kong Xu to visit Moonflow City and Starswater City. Then, dispatch a trusted person to inform Manager Zhang at Sunset City about our current situation," Chang Qing suggested.

Mother Bear nodded after hearing this, "Very well, Zou Ming, Kong Xu, follow Mr. Chang's instructions and depart immediately to Moonflow and Starswater."

The two hurriedly descended from the city wall. Mu Xiong, watching them leave, furrowed his brows and asked Chang Qing, "Who will go to Sunset City?"

Chang Qing, after a moment of contemplation, couldn't think of a suitable candidate. After a pause, he said, "During this time, I will personally go. It should be a quick trip. I'll leave and return promptly."

Mu Xiong, glancing at Lu Yunshan and Tianhua below, then looking into the distance, pondered for a moment and said, "Very well, Mr. Chang. Please take care of it!"

Chang Qing didn't say anything more, turning to leave the city wall, calling, "Someone, prepare a horse!"

Shortly after, a horse was brought over. Chang Qing inspected it, took the reins, mounted the horse, and with a flick of the reins, swiftly left, leaving dust in his wake...

Below the city wall, Tianhua saw Zou Ming and Kong Xu descend from the tower, witnessing Mu Xiong and Chang Qing exchange words. Chang Qing then left the wall, and Tianhua, smiling, remarked to Lu Yunshan, "It seems Mu Xiong and the others can't sit still, in a hurry to seek reinforcements!"

"Let them go! There won't be any reinforcements coming anyway!" Lu Yunshan replied with a smile.

"Yunshan, your plan is truly brilliant! Attack this town, and the other three cities will be paralyzed! With no reinforcements arriving, Mountain City Town will inevitably fall into despair. Once Mountain City Town is breached, the other three cities will be in absolute panic, afraid to make a move. Then, we can take down Sunset City in one go, and the 'Three Cities and One Town' will be free," Tianhua explained.

"Yes, Tianhua, after that, everyone will live a life of freedom and happiness," Lu Yunshan said.

Tianhua nodded, smiling, and looked at Lu Yunshan, asking, "Yunshan, how much time do we have left?"

"The time is not important; what matters is making Mu Xiong and the others feel fear and despair. In the art of war, the key is to attack the minds; conquering without a battle is the ultimate strategy," Lu Yunshan replied.

"Yes, Yunshan, you're absolutely right!" Tianhua agreed.

Lu Yunshan smiled and fell silent, gazing up at Mu Xiong on the city wall. At this moment, Mu Xiong felt an urgent unease, anxiously observing the people below.

Outside the south gate, a chilly wind brushed through, and the trees on both sides of the road were silent. Suddenly, a voice rang out, "Mr. Cheng, look, someone is coming!"

Lu Yunshan had anticipated that Mu Xiong would send someone to report to the other three cities, calling for reinforcements. Therefore, he had stationed people outside the other three cities in advance.

It was indeed Cheng Kong standing outside the south gate. He looked at the approaching figure and smiled, "As expected, just let him pass for now. Everyone, hide well and avoid being discovered."

The messenger arrived on a fast horse. Cheng Kong noted, "Mr. Cheng, he's gone far!"

"Good, but everyone still needs to be cautious. He might come back soon. We shouldn't be discovered before the troops from Starswater City set out. We need to stay hidden until then!" Cheng Kong instructed.

"Understood," the others responded.

In the woods, besides the two hundred people, twenty large boxes were neatly arranged. What were they here for? Could this modest force of two hundred and the twenty large boxes resist the army of Starswater City?

At the east and west gates, two riders galloped, heading towards Sunset City and Moonflow City, respectively. Similar to Cheng Kong's group, there were people hiding in the deep forest, watching as the two passed without revealing themselves.

In the dense forest near the two cities, there were also two hundred people and twenty large boxes arranged neatly. What secrets did these boxes hold? Could this force of two hundred defeat the city's army once unleashed?

Zou Ming arrived first, his horse trotting directly to the front of the city lord's mansion. Dismounting, he entered, and the guards stopped him, asking, "Who goes there?"

"I am Zou Ming from Mountain City Town, here on urgent business to see City Lord Qian." Zou Ming stated.

"Wait here! I will report to the city lord," the guard said, walking towards the mansion.

After a while, the guard returned, saying to Zou Ming, "Mr. Zou, the city lord invites you in."

"Thank you!" Zou Ming responded and followed a servant inside.

In the main hall of the city lord's mansion, Qian Fang sat at the top. Zou Ming hurriedly bowed and said, "Zou Ming of Mountain City Town is here to see City Lord Qian."

"Zou Ming, did you come today regarding the deployment of troops?" Qian Fang asked.

"City Lord Qian is wise. I am here to report that rebels are gathering outside the north gate, preparing to attack the city. The rebel forces are formidable, and we fear it will be difficult to resist. Therefore, our town lord has sent me to inform City Lord Qian and request urgent support!" Zou Ming explained.

"Since that's the case, I will send people to gather the troops immediately. Once assembled, we will head to Mountain City Town. Thank you, Mr. Zou," Qian Fang responded.

"Thank you, City Lord Qian! In that case, I will take my leave to report the situation to our town lord," Zou Ming said.

"Very well," Qian Fang agreed.

Zou Ming left the mansion, mounted his horse, and with a swift ride, quickly departed.

Kong Xu arrived at Moonflow City, proceeding directly to the city lord's mansion. After explaining the situation to the guards, he was escorted to meet Lord Du Nan. Following a similar dialogue, Lord Du Nan also pledged support and dispatched troops to Mountain City Town.

Finally, Chang Qing arrived at Sunset City. Having met with Manager Zhang, he conveyed the urgency of the situation. Zhang, concerned about Mu Xiong's ability to withstand the rebels, agreed to send reinforcements

.

As Chang Qing left the city lord's mansion and prepared to return, Zhang said, "This situation is urgent, Mr. Chang. If you weren't here to defend Mountain City Town, it would be difficult for Lord Mu alone."

Chang Qing replied, "The urgency of the matter forced me to make a personal visit. Now that you have pledged support, I will return to reassure our town lord."

"Very well," Zhang nodded.

Chang Qing, mounted on his horse, galloped away, his mission accomplished.

The messengers from the three cities, having received assurances of support, raced back to Mountain City Town to convey the positive responses. The future of the town rested on the reinforcements that would soon arrive.

Chapter 45: The Calm Before the Storm

"This is not a problem. They hope that Lord Mu will abandon the city and surrender, so they've given us an hour to consider. If we send someone else, I'm afraid it will end up like the last time, with the message not being conveyed. So, it's better for me to go in person," Chang Qing said.

"In that case, I will immediately mobilize the troops and send them to Mountain City Town," Manager Zhang stated.

"Manager Zhang, we don't need too many troops. What we need is for you to send more skilled individuals," Chang Qing emphasized.

"Oh, Mr. Chang, why is that?" Manager Zhang asked, puzzled.

"Actually, I'm not concerned about Lu Yunshan and the others. My only worry is Tianhua. As a descendant of the Tianlong, his abilities should not be underestimated. The first time we faced off, his abilities were inferior to mine. However, after a while, when Lord Mu and I teamed up against him, we both ended up injured. The next night, when we encountered him again, I found myself far below his level. The growth rate of the Tianlong lineage is truly astonishing!" Chang Qing sighed.

"Yes, the Tianlong lineage was the strongest among the thirteen tribes back then, and Tianhua is widely recognized as the strongest among the Tianlong. Mr. Chang, don't forget the origin of the name 'Tianlong'!" Manager Zhang reminded.

"How could I forget that!" Chang Qing sighed.

"Since that's the case, what should we do now? With Lord Yu leading the four experts in seclusion, according to your words, it seems no one in the 'Three Cities and One Town' can match him!" Manager Zhang said.

"I've thought about this. Although Tianhua has extraordinary abilities, he has a kind heart. In previous encounters, he only knocked people unconscious without causing harm. His main target this time is me and Lord Mu. So, by teaming up, although we may not deplete his strength as we did last time, we should be able to consume about seventy to eighty percent of his energy. Even though he will still be formidable in front of others, he won't take action. When the troops from the other three cities arrive, we'll see how Lu Yunshan handles it," Chang Qing explained.

"Well, this plan is indeed clever! But why does Lord Yu dispatch fewer troops from Sunset City?" Manager Zhang asked.

"The troops from the other two cities are sufficient. If Tianhua escapes after the defeat and rescues Lu Yunshan, he will become a future threat. Therefore, skilled individuals are needed to restrain him, making sure he is too occupied to care about others. If possible, we might even be able to capture him. Then, the 'Three Cities and One Town' will be at peace!" Chang Qing said.

"But even if Tianhua is left with only twenty to thirty percent of his strength, what use are those so-called skilled individuals compared to him?" Manager Zhang inquired.

"I am aware of that, but this is an extraordinary situation. Lord Yu and the four experts are in seclusion, the other two city lords can't easily leave their cities, so we have no other choice for now. Today, our main target is Lu Yunshan, whose presence poses a greater threat to the 'Three Cities and One Town' than Tianhua. Only by taking him down can we truly bring peace to the 'Three Cities and One Town.' Tianhua is just a lone warrior; even if he escapes today, when Lord Yu returns from seclusion, what can Tianhua do? But Lu Yunshan's cunning is truly troublesome!" Chang Qing said.

"Yes, you make sense. In that case, I will now mobilize the troops!" Manager Zhang said.

"Good, Manager Zhang, I appreciate your efforts. I will go back now. If Lu Yunshan and his group attack the city, I'm afraid Lord Mu alone won't be able to handle it!" Chang Qing said.

"Sure, I'll escort you out," Manager Zhang said.

"No need, Manager Zhang. It's an extraordinary time, and there's no need for such courtesy between us. I'll leave on my own," Chang Qing said.

Manager Zhang nodded, Chang Qing bid farewell, turned and left. Outside the mansion gate, someone brought over a horse, handed Chang Qing the reins, and he mounted the horse. With a flick of the reins, he rode away into the distance...

Zou Ming, Kong Xu, and Chang Qing returned to Mountain City Town one after another. They went directly to the city wall, where Mu Xiong asked about the situation. Upon hearing their responses, Mu Xiong felt a lot more at ease.

Below the city, Tianhua, seeing Chang Qing and the others appearing one by one, smiled and said to Lu Yunshan, "Yunshan, it looks like they've brought reinforcements."

"Yes, it seems so," Lu Yunshan replied.

"So, when should we start the attack?" Tianhua asked.

"Wait a bit longer. Let them wait!" Lu Yunshan smiled.

"It's been more than an hour. Why haven't they attacked yet?" Chang Qing frowned.

"Yeah! Are they waiting for something?" Mu Xiong wondered.

"Lu Yunshan probably knows that we will call for reinforcements from the other three cities. So, why aren't they ordering an attack now, swiftly resolving it? Are they deliberately waiting for the forces from the other three cities to arrive?" Chang Qing speculated.

"That's impossible! With the strength Lord Yu possesses, he wouldn't do something so detrimental to himself! However, now that Tianhua is there, this possibility cannot be completely ruled out," Mu Xiong said.

Mulling over this, Mu Xiong looked down from the city wall. At this moment, he saw Lu Yunshan draw his long sword from his waist, point it at the city gate, and shout, "Soldiers, attack!"

With this command, the troops swung their weapons, charging toward the city gate like ferocious beasts...

The reinforcements from the three cities were already on their way, the dust kicked up by their horses filling the air. Seeing the multitude of banners and weapons, the soldiers were high-spirited, ready for action...

"It's been almost two hours. The troops from the three cities should have set out by now. Why hasn't Lu Yunshan ordered the attack?" Mu Xiong was getting anxious.

"Could it be that they're waiting for the troops from the other three cities to arrive so they can deal with them together?" Chang Qing suggested.

"That's impossible! Even with Lord Yu's strength, he wouldn't act against his own interests like that. But now that Tianhua is there, we can't completely rule out this possibility," Mu Xiong said.

Contemplating the situation, Mu Xiong observed Lu Yunshan below. Suddenly, Lu Yunshan drew his sword, pointing it at the city gate, and shouted, "Soldiers, attack!"

With this command, the troops brandished their weapons, charging toward the city gate like a horde of fierce beasts...

The situation was tense. People, both above the city walls and below, waited in suspense. Warhorses, their hooves lightly pounding the ground, added to the sense of anticipation...

At this moment, perhaps everyone's mind, except for Lu Yunshan and Tianhua, was tightly

wound.

"Mr. Cheng, look!" someone softly called from the woods outside the south gate.

Hearing this, Cheng Kong looked towards the front. Outside the south gate, dust billowed, and the sound of hooves echoed. Cheng Kong thought for a moment and said, "They're here; everyone, prepare!"

Outside the east and west gates, the same scene unfolded, with dust rising and the rhythmic pounding of warhorses. The leaders of the people in the dense forests at these two locations immediately gave orders: "Get ready, everyone!"

The reinforcements from the three cities were on the move, heading towards Mountain City Town. However, Lu Yunshan and Tianhua remained unmoved, like a mountain!

"It's been almost two hours. The troops from the three cities should have set out by now. Why hasn't Lu Yunshan ordered the attack?" Mu Xiong was getting anxious.

"Could it be that they're waiting for the troops from the other three cities to arrive so they can deal with them together?" Chang Qing suggested.

"That's impossible! Even with Lord Yu's strength, he wouldn't act against his own interests like that. But now that Tianhua is there, we can't completely rule out this possibility," Mu Xiong said.

Contemplating the situation, Mu Xiong observed Lu Yunshan below. Suddenly, Lu Yunshan drew his sword, pointing it at the city gate, and shouted, "Soldiers, attack!"

With this command, the troops brandished their weapons, charging toward the city gate like a horde of fierce beasts...

The situation was tense. People, both above the city walls and below, waited in suspense. Warhorses, their hooves lightly pounding the ground, added to the sense of anticipation...

At this moment, perhaps everyone's mind, except for Lu Yunshan and Tianhua, was tightly wound.

"Mr. Cheng, look!" someone softly called from the woods outside the south gate.

Hearing this, Cheng Kong looked towards the front. Outside the south gate, dust billowed, and the sound of hooves echoed. Cheng Kong thought for a moment and said, "They're here; everyone, prepare!"

Outside the east and west gates, the same scene unfolded, with dust rising and the rhythmic pounding of warhorses. The leaders of the people in the dense forests at these two locations immediately gave orders: "Get ready, everyone!"

The reinforcements from the three cities were on the move, heading towards Mountain City Town. However, Lu Yunshan and Tianhua remained unmoved, like a mountain!

0