Chapter 46: Dusk
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

News of the fall of Mountain City quickly spread to the other three cities. Upon hearing the news, the city lords were greatly alarmed. Originally, they intended to gather their armies and retake the city together. However, with the central hub of Mountain City cut off, it was challenging to communicate. The presence of Tianhua, the warrior from Mountain City, made them hesitate. Consequently, they only dispatched individuals to closely monitor every move in Mountain City.

General Land Yunshan issued strict orders upon entering the city: there should be no disturbance to the citizens, and anyone who violated the order would be executed. As the army passed through, not a hair of the people was harmed. The citizens were allowed to continue their daily lives as usual. Land Yunshan took control of the military in the city, and he declared that those willing to stay could join, while those who chose to leave would be provided with money and supplies to return home and reunite with their families.

Upon hearing this, the people were overjoyed, and the majority of the military chose to stay. Initially, the citizens were fearful, keeping their doors closed, and the town remained empty for several days. After witnessing the actions of Land Yunshan and his subordinates, a few brave souls opened their doors and ventured out. Slowly, more and more people emerged, and soon, life in the town returned to normal.

Land Yunshan ordered the exemption of all taxes and levies imposed by Mu Xiong during his rule, in addition to a three-year waiver of regular taxes. The people were deeply grateful upon hearing this news.

Seven days after the city fell, Land Yunshan and Tianhua walked together into the town. Seeing the lively activities in the town, Tianhua sighed, "It seems like everything is back to normal here."

Land Yunshan was about to speak when someone nearby exclaimed, "This is the new lord who defeated Mu Xiong and brought happiness to everyone!"

Before Land Yunshan could react, a crowd rushed over, surrounding him and showering him with praises. Land Yunshan smiled and engaged in conversation with the crowd, occasionally glancing helplessly at Tianhua, who was pushed out of the crowd and was now smiling at Land Yunshan from a short distance away.

As night fell and the crowd gradually dispersed, leaving only Land Yunshan behind, Tianhua approached him, saying, "Yunshan, it seems like you've succeeded!"

Land Yunshan smiled and replied, "This is just the beginning; the road ahead may not be as fortunate."

"I believe everything will go smoothly," Tianhua said with a smile.

"I hope so," Land Yunshan said.

"Suddenly, I feel a bit hungry. Let's go, Yunshan! We should head back," Tianhua said with a smile.

Land Yunshan agreed, and the two returned to the Lord's Mansion together.

After dinner, Tianhua found himself in the courtyard. The lights illuminated the entire area, creating a pleasant atmosphere. Clouds broke, the moon rose, and flowers scattered in disorder. However, there was no one there to appreciate the scenery. Tianhua walked back and forth beside a cluster of flowers.

"What's wrong, Tianhua? Something on your mind?" a voice sounded from behind.

Tianhua turned to see Land Yunshan, who explained, "I was passing by and noticed you walking here alone with a heavy heart. So, I came to take a look."

Tianhua nodded and remained silent, gazing into the distance.

Seeing Tianhua like this, Land Yunshan refrained from speaking. After a while, he asked, "Tianhua, if there's anything bothering you, feel free to share. Maybe talking about it will help."

"It's nothing, Yunshan. I'm just thinking about some things. Once I figure them out, everything will be fine. Go ahead and attend to your duties; there's still much to be done in Mountain City!" Tianhua smiled.

Land Yunshan was about to say something but held back, contemplating for a moment before saying, "Alright, Tianhua. I'll leave now."

Tianhua acknowledged, and Land Yunshan glanced at him, sighing inwardly before turning to leave.

The night grew darker, but the courtyard remained brightly lit. Tianhua looked up at the sky, sighed, and then turned to leave.

Deep within the courtyard, a bright spot could be seen. Before long, Tianhua arrived at the door, stood outside, and hesitated for a moment before knocking. "Lord Mu, Mr. Chang, it's Tianhua. I apologize for disturbing you late at night. Are you asleep?"

Soon, the door opened, revealing Chang Qing. Tianhua greeted, "Apologies for the late disturbance; please forgive me!"

"A defeated general, there's no need for such courtesy," Chang Qing said calmly before turning and entering the room.

Tianhua looked at Chang Qing, then followed him inside. Inside the room, Mu Xiong sat dejectedly at the table, and Chang Qing joined him.

The two looked more haggard than before, appearing worn out due to exhaustion. Tianhua observed them for a moment, then walked forward to sit in front of them.

"So late, what brings you here?" Mu Xiong asked.

"Tonight, I came to seek advice on a matter from both of you," Tianhua said.

"We dare not accept the term 'advice,'" Mu Xiong replied indifferently.

Tianhua looked at Mu Xiong, wanting to say something but unsure of what to say, so he remained silent.

"What do you want to know?" Chang Qing asked from the side.

"I want to know the process of establishing the 'Three Cities and One Town' back then," Tianhua said.

Upon hearing this, Chang Qing looked at Tianhua without speaking. Tianhua looked back at him, waiting for him to speak.

"If you came tonight for this matter, you might be disappointed. This is a deal between you and me. Although the situation has developed to this point, a deal is a deal, regardless of the circumstances," Mu Xiong said.

Chang Qing nodded slightly after hearing Mu Xiong's words. Tianhua understood, stood up, and said, "Since that's the case, I won't disturb you two any longer. I hope you rest early." With that, Tianhua stood up to take his leave, closing the door behind him as he exited.

Upon hearing Mu Xiong's voice from behind, "We've been here for many days. How do you plan to deal with us?" Tianhua turned to look at the two. After thinking for a moment, he calmly said, "The era of the 'Three Cities and One Town' for the past fifty years no longer needs people like us." With that, Tianhua walked away, closing the door behind him.

Tianhua stared at the closed door, feeling an inexplicable pain in his heart. Inside the room, Mu Xiong and Chang Qing exchanged glances, remaining silent for a long time. Finally, Mu Xiong shouted, "Is our lives destined to end here?" Chang Qing, hearing this, remained silent, sighing deeply in his heart. Outside, Tianhua heard Mu Xiong's shout, sighed, and turned away.

The night was deep, and the lights inside the room soon went out.

On the tenth day after the fall of Mountain City, people

stopped discussing the matter. The most talked-about topic was Land Yunshan. The citizens harbored no resentment toward this former enemy who had just taken over Mountain City; in their hearts, they had already accepted him as the new lord.

Inside the "Mountain City Inn," though the tables and chairs were neatly arranged, a thick layer of dust covered them. Tianhua knelt in front of two memorial tablets, tears in his eyes, and said, "Uncle Han, Master, the murderer has been brought to justice. I have avenged you. May you rest in peace. Soon, I will bring you back home..."

As the night grew darker, Tianhua continued kneeling, still lost in his thoughts. Suddenly, a few gentle knocks echoed, accompanied by a voice, "Tianhua, open the door. I know you're inside. Open the door..."

Upon hearing Land Yunshan's voice, Tianhua stood up to open the door. Seeing Land Yunshan, he asked, "Yunshan, why are you here?"

"Tianhua, I haven't seen you all day. I figured you must be here, so I came to check on you," Land Yunshan said. He walked in, bowed in front of the tablets, then said, "Tianhua, your strength hasn't fully recovered. You haven't eaten or drunk anything today. How can your body endure this..."

"Don't worry, Yunshan! I'll be fine," Tianhua whispered.

Land Yunshan reassured, "Rest assured, Tianhua. I'll leave now."

Tianhua nodded, and Land Yunshan glanced at him before leaving. The night was deep, but the lights in the courtyard continued to shine like daylight. Tianhua looked up at the sky, sighed, and then turned away.

In the deep recesses of the courtyard, a bright spot remained. Before long, Tianhua arrived at the door, stood there, hesitated for a moment, and then knocked. "Lord Mu, Mr. Chang, it's Tianhua. I apologize for disturbing you late at night. Are you asleep?"

Soon, the door opened, revealing Chang Qing. Tianhua greeted, "Apologies for the late disturbance; please forgive me!"

"A defeated general, there's no need for such courtesy," Chang Qing said calmly before turning and entering the room.

Tianhua looked at Chang Qing, then followed him inside. Inside the room, Mu Xiong sat dejectedly at the table, and Chang Qing joined him.

The two looked more haggard than before, appearing worn out due to exhaustion. Tianhua observed them for a moment, then walked forward to sit in front of them.

"So late, what brings you here?" Mu Xiong asked.

"Tonight, I came to seek advice on a matter from both of you," Tianhua said.

"We dare not accept the term 'advice,'" Mu Xiong replied indifferently.

Tianhua looked at Mu Xiong, wanting to say something but unsure of what to say, so he remained silent.

"What do you want to know?" Chang Qing asked from the side.

"I want to know the process of establishing the 'Three Cities and One Town' back then," Tianhua said.

Upon hearing this, Chang Qing looked at Tianhua without speaking. Tianhua looked back at him, waiting for him to speak.

"If you came tonight for this matter, you might be disappointed. This is a deal between you and me. Although the situation has developed to this point, a deal is a deal, regardless of the circumstances," Mu Xiong said.

Chang Qing nodded slightly after hearing Mu Xiong's words. Tianhua understood, stood up, and said, "Since that's the case, I won't disturb you two any longer. I hope you rest early." With that, Tianhua stood up to take his leave, closing the door behind him as he exited.

Upon hearing Mu Xiong's voice from behind, "We've been here for many days. How do you plan to deal with us?" Tianhua turned to look at the two. After thinking for a moment, he calmly said, "The era of the 'Three Cities and One Town' for the past fifty years no longer needs people like us." With that, Tianhua walked away, closing the door behind him.

Tianhua stared at the closed door, feeling an inexplicable pain in his heart. Inside the room, Mu Xiong and Chang Qing exchanged glances, remaining silent for a long time. Finally, Mu Xiong shouted, "Is our lives destined to end here?" Chang Qing, hearing this, remained silent, sighing deeply in his heart. Outside, Tianhua heard Mu Xiong's shout, sighed, and turned away.

The night was deep, and the lights inside the room soon went out.

"Uncle Han, you entrusted Little Bell to Tianhua, but now he's so indifferent to his own well-being. I'm afraid that someday Little Bell will have no one to take care of her!" lamented Land Yunshan.

Tianhua, upon hearing this, didn't remain silent. After a moment, he said, "Let's go, Yunshan! We're going back!" With that, he closed the door from inside, bowed towards the memorial tablets, then headed towards the backyard. Land Yunshan also paid his respects before following.

As they walked towards the Lord's Mansion, they arrived at a certain place. Tianhua stopped, looking at the lights on the upper floors. His heart sank, "Could she still be here!"

Seeing Tianhua's expression, Land Yunshan glanced at the location, then looked at the topmost light. He thought for a moment and said, "Tianhua, the 'Fragrant Pavilion' has long been closed. Why are there lights on the top floor? Could someone still be living there? Should we check it out?"

"I think we better not. Let's go back quickly!" Tianhua said and started walking briskly.

Land Yunshan hurriedly caught up, calling, "Tianhua, what's going on? Why are you suddenly walking so fast?"

The next morning, Tianhua went to Land Yunshan's room after getting up, knocked on the door, but there was no answer. At that moment, someone passing by caught Tianhua's attention. He called them over and asked, "Where's Land Yunshan?"

"Lord Land is currently in the hall discussing matters with others," the person hurriedly replied.

Tianhua acknowledged and walked towards the direction of the hall. As he approached, he heard Land Yunshan saying from inside, "What do you all think of this proposal?"

Before anyone could respond, Tianhua, walking in from outside, called out, "Yunshan, what are you discussing so early in the morning? Why didn't you invite me to listen?"

Upon entering, Tianhua saw Land Yunshan sitting on a large chair, with Cheng Kong and others in seats below. Tianhua stood not far from the door, watching Land Yunshan.

Seeing Tianhua, Land Yunshan stood up from his chair, walked towards him with a smile, and said, "Tianhua, we are discussing plans to attack Dusk City."

"Why didn't you call me?" Tianhua asked puzzled.

"Tianhua, I noticed you hadn't woken up earlier. After the battle in Mountain City, you need a good rest. So, I didn't call you today. Besides, we are just discussing roughly. When there's progress, we will call you to discuss the details," Land Yunshan explained with a smile.

"Yunshan, I'm fine. You can continue; I'll just listen on the side," Tianhua said, taking a seat nearby.

Land Yunshan glanced at Tianhua, then turned back to his chair. He said, "What do you all think of the proposal we just discussed?"

"Although the last feigned troop movement successfully stopped the forces of the Three Cities, I fear that if we use the same tactic again, they might see through it. If that happens, we will be in danger," Cheng Kong expressed his concern.

Upon hearing this, the others started discussing in hushed tones. Soon, they all nodded in agreement, considering Cheng Kong's point valid. Land Yunshan observed quietly as they discussed. One person spoke up, "Lord Land, we also think Cheng Kong has a point. If this strategy fails, we might lose everything we've achieved!"

"Warfare involves deception, as the saying goes. After being deceived last time, they wouldn't expect us to use the same tactic again. Moreover, this allows us to concentrate our forces, quickly taking control of Dusk City," Land Yunshan suggested.

"Our forces were initially limited, leading us to employ the feigned troop movement. But now, with the addition of an extra town, even without this tactic, our forces should be sufficient. Using the same strategy again poses too much risk," another person argued.

"The defense forces in Dusk City are much stronger than those in Mountain City. We don't know much about Lord Yuxingtian. Using the feigned troop movement and bringing as many forces as possible would increase our chances of taking Dusk City. Otherwise, if we divide our forces and are outnumbered, it will be regrettable," Land Yunshan explained.

The room fell into silence as the others contemplated Land Yunshan's words. After a while, one person spoke up, "Lord Land, we agree with Cheng Kong's reasoning. If this strategy fails, it could be highly dangerous."

"Since Tianhua also thinks this method is feasible," Cheng Kong suddenly said.

Everyone turned to look at Tianhua. Land Yunshan smiled, appreciating Tianhua's support. Cheng Kong continued, "Let's proceed with this plan then!"

Land Yunshan nodded, "Since everyone thinks it's viable, let's discuss the specific details and the time of deployment. Cheng Kong, the two of you will lead troops to ambush outside the west and south gates. This time, 500 soldiers each. Inform us if successful, and if not, quickly retreat to Mountain City and defend. Also, inform us as soon as possible."

Cheng Kong and his companion stood up, "Alright, no problem."

"As for when to attack, what do you all think?" Land Yunshan looked around.

After some discreet discussion, the room fell silent again. Everyone then turned to look at Tianhua. Land Yunshan, seeing this, also glanced at him.

Tianhua looked around, then at Land Yunshan, and smiled, "Now that I'm fine, and considering the importance of speed in warfare, I believe the sooner, the better. Delaying will only be detrimental to us."

Everyone nodded in agreement. Land Yunshan smiled and said, "Tianhua, since you've said that, let's all go back and prepare. We'll set out for Dusk City in three days!"

"Alright!" Everyone in the room responded.

"If there's nothing else, everyone, please go back and get ready!" Land Yunshan said.

"Yes!" The others responded, and one by one, they left the room.

Once everyone had left, only Tianhua and Land Yunshan remained in the room. Land Yunshan approached Tianhua and said, "Tianhua, are you really okay now?"

"Yunshan, I'm really fine. Besides, when have I ever lied to you?" Tianhua smiled.

"True, you've never lied to me. But this battle is different from Mountain City. This time, our opponent is the one who founded the 'Three Cities and One Town.' We've only heard rumors about him. We don't know what difficulties we'll face. I'm just worried," Land Yunshan expressed his concern.

"Yunshan, I understand your concern. But don't worry, we will succeed. This is not just my ideal but also yours, Uncle Han's, Master's, Grandfather's... the ideal in the hearts of everyone. This belief will drive me and many others to risk our lives to accomplish it. I firmly believe that as long as we hold onto our ideals and strive for them, the heavens will favor us!" Tianhua reassured.

"Good, Tianhua! Let's brav

ely move forward for the ideals in our hearts, for the struggle, until our lives end," Land Yunshan said excitedly.

Tianhua looked at Land Yunshan, nodding with determination.

Three days later, at dawn, outside the east gate, Land Yunshan and Tianhua rode horses in front of the gathered troops. At that moment, a messenger rushed up and reported, "Reporting to the Lord, Mr. Cheng has led two hundred men to set up ambushes outside the west and south gates."

Upon hearing this, Land Yunshan waved his hand, and the messenger retreated. He looked at Tianhua, who nodded. Land Yunshan then mounted his horse and, in front of the soldiers, walked back and forth, looking at them. Then, he shouted loudly, "Everyone, I know there's a dream in your hearts: the dream of living in a world of freedom and equality. Today, we fight for that dream! Although we will face a legendary figure, someone we don't know how powerful they are! Today, we may get injured, or even lose our lives, but everything we do today is for a better life for ourselves, our families, and friends in the future! To live freely and equally in the 'Three Cities and One Town'! So, we should not fear. Whether we succeed today or not, we must strive forward for the ideals in our hearts, fight for it until our lives end!"

The soldiers, stirred by his words, shouted in unison, "For the ideals in our hearts, strive forward, fight for it until our lives end!"

Land Yunshan nodded and called out, "Let's go!"

After that command, Land Yunshan and Tianhua, followed by the massive army, headed towards Dusk City. Inside Dusk City, scouts gathered information and hastily rode back to report. Hearing the news, Zhang, the manager, immediately gathered the generals for a discussion.

Zhang, the manager, addressed the generals, "Gentlemen, the enemy is approaching Dusk City. We must prepare for their attack. Marshal Yuxingtian is away, but he has left me in charge, and I won't let any harm come to our city."

The generals listened attentively as Zhang continued, "We have strong defenses, but we must not underestimate the enemy. The last time they used a feigned troop movement, and it was quite effective. We need to be cautious and strategize accordingly."

One of the generals, named Li Yan, spoke up, "Manager Zhang, do we have any information about the enemy's strength and the leaders commanding their forces?"

Zhang nodded, "Yes, we have gathered intelligence. The enemy is led by Land Yunshan and Tianhua. They have added an extra town to their forces since the battle in Mountain City. Land Yunshan is known for his cunning tactics, and Tianhua is a formidable warrior. We should be prepared for a tough fight."

Another general, Wei Cheng, asked, "What are our options, Manager Zhang? How do you plan to defend Dusk City?"

Zhang thought for a moment and then replied, "Firstly, we will reinforce the city gates and walls. Ensure that every section is manned by well-trained soldiers. Secondly, we will deploy scouts to monitor the enemy's movements and relay information back to us. Thirdly, we need to be vigilant against any feigned tactics. If they were successful once, they might attempt it again."

Li Yan added, "Should we send reinforcements to the west and south gates, anticipating an ambush?"

Zhang considered this and said, "Yes, send reinforcements to those gates, but keep the majority of our forces within the city. We don't want to be caught off guard. If the enemy attempts to divide our attention, we must respond with precision."

The generals nodded, and Zhang continued, "Lastly, inform the citizens to stay indoors and remain calm. We will do everything in our power to protect Dusk City. We have the advantage of the city's defenses, and we must use them wisely."

As the generals dispersed to carry out their orders, Zhang remained in the war room, deep in thought. He knew that the upcoming battle would be crucial, and the fate of Dusk City rested on their ability to withstand the enemy's assault.

Meanwhile, outside the city, Land Yunshan and Tianhua were leading their forces toward Dusk City. They approached cautiously, aware that the city would be well-prepared for their arrival. The landscape was tense, and the soldiers marched in silence, focused on the impending battle.

As they neared the city gates, Land Yunshan addressed his troops, "This is the moment we've been preparing for. Remember the ideals in your hearts, and fight with everything you have. Today, we make history!"

The soldiers responded with resounding cheers, and the siege of Dusk City began. The clash between the defenders and the attackers echoed through the air as the fate of the 'Three Cities and One Town' hung in the balance.

0