9. Offer for life
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zevan's heart turned cold in an instant and his body trembled in fright. Although he had been cautioned, he was having a hard time comprehending it. The person had blatantly threatened him and his kingdom's people while all he could do was remain helpless.

"Why?" He finally found his voice and asked the only question he had in mind. Although he did not expect any reply from him, he still tried.

"What did you say, kid?" 

This time, Zevan was not annoyed with him. Being called a kid was a lot better than being threatened. At least no one was getting killed then.

"Why do you want to destroy Meadel? Do you have any grudges with us?" 

The man burst out laughing at his question and Zevan tried to recall if he had said anything humorous. But he could not think of anything.

"You are not just an amusing kid, but an innocent one at that." The man commented and Zevan's brows drew together in displeasure. But he did not argue with him.

"To answer your question, I do not have grudges with just Meadel. I loathe the entirety of Azuvar. They destroyed me and I will not stop until I obliterate Azuvar."

Zevan detected the change in his tone and he gulped in nervousness. He sounded utterly sinister and authoritative. His words were filled with promise and Zevan did not doubt him whatsoever.

"Meadel being the first kingdom to be targeted is nothing but pure coincidence. Do not take it personally, kid."

Zevan's lips twitched and he did not know how to reply to him. His entire kingdom was in peril and that included him too. He had to take it personally if he wished to save himself as well as his kingdom.

"And just because I am not saying anything, does not mean I am oblivious to your thoughts, kid. I can hear them loud and clear." The man's words made Zevan lose his mind completely.

"But since it is you, I will spare you. If it was anyone else, I would have ended their life right away."

Zevan swallowed his fear as he parted his lips to ask another question. He became meek instantly. All his courage had vanished the instant the man had spoken about his thoughts.

"May I ask you a question?" He tried hard to sound courageous. Yet, he had an inkling he had failed miserably at it.

"Now, you ask for permission. Isn't it a little too late now?"

The man's tone held amusement and Zevan sighed in relief. At least, he was not annoyed by him.

"Ask away." The man commanded.

"May I ask why I was dragged here when it was an experienced and powerful sorcerer you were looking for?"

"Hmm. Interestingly, my powers chose you and I do not know the reason for it as well. But if my intuitions are right, it is because you are one of the most powerful sorcerers in Meadel or will be in the future. It is just that you are yet to unleash your powers." The man suddenly went silent and Zevan did not know how to react to the information he had just received.

If it was any other time, he would have been jubilant. However, now, with a guillotine over his head, Zevan was not in the mood to rejoice.

"Kid, would you mind joining me? I would not mind a powerful person like you beside me. We can conquer the world together and rule over it." The man suggested all of a sudden and Zevan made an expression that clearly said even such a thought disgusted him, let alone act on it.

"Do not give me such a reaction. What will you do among such heartless and cruel people? They will not hesitate to give up on you if their interests are in jeopardy."

Zevan sensed the insinuation in his tone and discerned him to be speaking about his life. Though curious, he did not enquire more about it.

"I have no interest in joining you nor do I have any penchant for killing my own people." Zevan rejected his offer without thinking twice. He was happy with his life and had no intentions of making it better by killing his loved ones.

The man sighed in distress. "Since you have made the choice, I will not force you to change your mind. But do think about it and if you wish to join me, just say so in your mind."

'That is not going to happen. Never.' Zevan vowed, forgetting that the man had access to his thoughts. He had nothing but hatred for him and nothing he said could change the feeling.

"Your time is about to end." His stern voice brought Zevan out of his stupor and he blinked a few times to clear his mind. "Remember the message I asked you to convey to your people. This is just the beginning. I will not stop until not just Meadel but the entire world of Azuvar has been destroyed."

"Who will you rule over if you destroy Azuvar?" Zevan could not help asking the question suddenly and the man went silent all of a sudden.

"Let us just say I have a bunch of followers who have the same intentions as I do and with them, I can rebuild the world. Since I have taken a liking to you, I will not kill you once I destroy Azuvar. You have time until then to make your choice." 

'Do I really have a choice then? Is it not as good as asking me to choose your side in the end? How sly!' Zevan berated the man silently without caring whether he was listening to his thoughts or not.

"That I am." The man returned to his relaxed self and Zevan felt his mood lighten too. "Your time is up. Remember my words, Zevan."

'Wait, how do you know my name? Wait, what is your name?' Zevan felt a wave of dizziness hit him and he closed his eyes to ease his malaise.

The familiar feeling of suffocation hit him and he felt lightheaded. But just like before, it was all momentary. When he opened his eyes next, he found himself standing in the spot he had previously been before he was pulled into the abyss.

The first thing he did was to look at his Master who was standing beside him. 'Master, how long was I gone?'

Elion looked at him as if he had grown four heads. 'What are talking about, Zevan? Were you not here all along?'

Elion sensed the switch in Zevan's emotions. He was troubled over something and he could not comprehend what.

'What happened, Zevan? Why are you so perturbed?'

'Master, I have something important to tell you.' Zevan started but stopped short when he noticed the bodies lying on the ground. And he felt a chill run down his spine when the realization hit him.

The man had not just controlled space, he had controlled the time as well. He had been inside the abyss for quite some time. But in Meadel, it seemed that just a few seconds had passed. Just how invincible was he?

0