10. Promise
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Master, can we talk once the ceremony is over? I have something crucial to inform you.' Zevan's voice trembled as he kept staring at the dead soldiers.

'What...'

'I have a message from the person who killed all these courageous men.'

A wave of shock washed over Elion, leaving him feeling numb and cold. He gaped at Zevan, his eyes clouded with fear. Slowly, the realization dawned upon him and he perceived the reason behind Zevan's peculiar actions a moment ago.

'Did you...'

'I will explain everything once we are alone, Master.' Zevan gave him a small smile. He looked exhausted and unkempt and Elion felt bad for him. 

With power came not just responsibilities but dangers as well and considering Zevan's extent of powers and the rate at which he was unleashing them, he was bound to garner attention not just from people around him, but from others as well, others who would cross any limit to exploit such powers. He more or less had an inkling as to why the person had chosen Zevan instead of anyone else from Meadel.

Elion patted Zevan's arms lightly. Even though no word had been exchanged between them, the men understood each other. 

Though touched by his Master's sentiments, Zevan was shrouded with dread and worry. He could not bring himself to think about anything else at that moment. 

Even during the funeral, he was absent-minded. He could not remove the powerful person's message from his mind. He was vexed and the truth that only he knew this man and his intentions perturbed him all the more. His hands shook and he clenched his fists to hide his weird behavior from the others. 

The entire kingdom of Meadel was drowning in grief as they mourned the loss of their people. King Harold, especially, paid respects to the soldiers while Prince Jarett stood behind him. The entire royal family was present to show their respect for the deceased.

Wails and cries erupted in the place as the High Priest sprinkled holy water on the dead one by one. Once he was done sprinkling holy water on all the dead people, he stood aside and started to chant the prayers while his disciples joined him.

Despite being petrified and filled with abhorrence, Zevan could not control his tears when he saw the souls of the deceased leave their bodies one by one.

All the souls waited for the others and once the last soul left the body, they floated in the sky for a moment as they looked at all the living people with smiles on their faces before they vanished together. And the next instant, the lifeless and soulless bodies on the ground erupted on the fire.

At that moment, Zevan had nothing but hatred towards the man responsible for the deaths of innocent people. He lowered his head and glared in resentment. All it took was a blink to destroy the peace in Meadel and until the monster behind the catastrophe was not dealt with, peace was a distant dream.

'I promise,' Zevan raised his head and stared at the burning corpses before him. 'I will end everyone responsible for this. I, Zevan, will not give up until I have hunted down everyone for your misery.' He stated with resolve as he watched the fire burn the corpses. 

In no time, all the dead bodies disappeared, leaving no ash in their places. However, the people continued to stay as they cried their hearts out due to their loss.

King Harold sighed in distress and nodded at his family before he approached Elion who had an indecipherable expression on his face. 

"Elion," The King closed his eyes and dithered for a moment before looking at him. "Prepare for the Soul Avenge Spell. We will do the ritual tomorrow night."

"Yes, Your Majesty." Elion's hoarse voice was laced with sadness. He did not even glance at Prince Jarett who had stopped to take a good look at him before following his father back to the palace.

One by one, the others too started leaving and Elion glanced at Zevan who was already looking at him. Nodding at him curtly, the two men, one old and one young too departed from the place and did not stop until they were back at their room of discussion.

"What do you have to tell me, Zevan?" Elion barely had an strength in him. The day's events had sucked a lot of mental energy out of him and only he knew how he was holding on.

"Master, if you want...."

"I cannot delay this matter anymore, Zevan. You tell me what you found out."

Zevan gave up persuading and hesitated for a moment before he started speaking. "Master, the person who killed our people wants me to convey a message to you and all the people of Meadel."

Elion maintained a stoic expression, his features composed but intense. His body language was taut, every muscle poised for the weighty information being discussed.

"This is just the beginning and he will not stop until not just Meadel but the entire Azuvar has been destroyed. Meadel is just the first step in his plan." Zevan conveyed the message and took in the changes in his Master.

Elion did not speak a word for quite some time as he absorbed the weight of the matter. The situation was more perilous than he had thought.

"Did you see his face?"

"No, Master," Zevan explained his experience in the abyss he had been pulled into and as time passed, Elion's face blanched in fear.

"This is bad, Zevan. This is bad. What are we going to do?" 

Zevan did not dare disclose the offer the man had made to him. It would be a lot to take in and his Master was already overwhelmed. He could not bear to put him in more shock.

"Master..." Zevan himself did not know what to do and he looked at his Master in concern. Just when he was about to comfort him, Prince Jarett appeared in the room suddenly, startling both the Master and the disciple.

"I hope I am not intruding or disturbing you two." He expressed his apology subtly. 

'Do you have to pretend when you know the truth?' Zevan thought hatefully. 'What an unconventional method of entering a room! How convenient!'

"Well, I was here to see what you two were planning." He stated the purpose of his visit and his lips curled up when he settled his gaze on Zevan.

"After all, you need to prepare for the future considering that Zevan has met my Lord."

0