Chapter 100: The Grand Ball
94 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You look…” 

Astra's breath hitched, her amethyst eyes widened, bleeding into stormy violet as they drank in the sight of Eydis. The elegant black dress clung to the brunette's curves. The bodice, adorned with a choker of intricate vines and delicate flowers that shimmered with an ethereal, moonlit glow, was breathtaking. But it was the crystal necklace, cascading down like a miniature waterfall of light and colour, that truly captivated her attention. Each stone, a unique gem, reflected the surrounding light in a mesmerising dance, a symphony of nature's artistry.

Undeniably alluring, captivating, the sight sparked a pang of something sharp and unwelcome in Astra's chest. The cut seemed too low, too bare, tempting the roaming gazes of the attending nobles. An irrational urge to rip it off, or better yet, hide Eydis entirely, pulsed through her.

Sensing the shift in the air, Eydis arched an eyebrow, a playful smirk dancing on her lips. "Admiring the view, sweetie? We should probably make an entrance, though."

Heat rushed to Astra's cheeks as she averted her gaze, already moving towards the door. A gentle hand on her arm stopped her, Eydis's fingertips traced a slow, deliberate path up her sleeve, sending shivers down her spine. They stopped at the crook of her ear, brushing against the sensitive skin in a way that left Astra breathless.

"The feeling's mutual, love," Eydis murmured, her gaze trailing down Astra's form. Unlike her own revealing dress, Astra's was an elegant enigma. A high-necked lace dress adorned with moonlight flowers, their gentle glow contrasting the way the midnight fabric hugged Astra's curves. It revealed nothing. Yet, that very hint sent a possessive warmth through Eydis.

A wayward silver strand, defiant against the intricate updo, escaped to tickle Astra's cheek. Eydis's fingers, soft as moonlight itself, gently tucked it behind Astra's ear. The touch, light as a whisper, sent a current through Astra, her heart skipping a beat. They held each other's gaze for a moment, a silent conversation passing between them, before they reluctantly pulled apart. 

"Ready, Eydis?" Astra rasped, her fingers instinctively weaving through Eydis's soft locks.

"All games must end," Eydis replied, her voice husky and low. "Now, my champion, shall we unveil ourselves?"

Hand in hand, they stepped into the opulent ballroom, a vortex of swirling silks, glittering jewels, and secrets waiting to be unravelled. The impending chaos thrummed in the air, but amidst the gathering storm, Astra found solace in the steady warmth of Eydis's hand clasped in hers, a silent promise that together, they could weather any storm.

**

The grand ballroom vibrated with an intoxicating tapestry of scents: jasmine delicately weaving through the heady musk of rose, spices from exotic lands hinting at the lavish feast to come. Crystal chandeliers, like celestial waterfalls, showered the polished honey onyx floor with a cool, diamond rain. Silk gowns in vibrant hues, rivalling the hues of a tropical sunset, swirled and fluttered as guests waltzed beneath the soaring, frescoed ceiling depicting scenes of mythical grandeur.

Yet, beneath the opulent mask, a serpent of tension coiled around the nobles. The heavy, intricately carved doors swung open, momentarily silencing the merrymaking. Lady Astra Clamor Elite, the star of the show, glided in, a breathtaking vision in midnight silk. A second-time champion, she embodied Silverkeep's resurgence, their phoenix rising from the ashes.

But from his secluded balcony, Duke Vladimir felt a grimace twist his features. He yearned to escape the festivities, still raw from his daughter's passing, but Emperor Ares' brooked no disobedience.

"Splendid, isn't she?" The Duke of Sylvanwood, perpetual bearer of an infuriating smirk, joined him. The clink of their wineglasses barely concealed the disdain simmering between their houses. Inferno was an outcast, and Silverkeep's recent glory only amplified the dissonance.

"The Empire's second-most coveted jewel, wouldn't you say? Eighteen, just ripe for the picking, no?" The Duke of Azura chimed in, a gold chain flashing against his tanned neck.

Vladimir, ever the stoic, battled the urge to scoff. Displeasure flickered in his steely gaze as Fontaine, ruler of Azura, licked his lips, his eyes tracking Astra with the predatory gleam of a wolf eyeing a fawn.

A rustle of silk announced the arrival of a brunette, her fan partially obscuring her warm, earthy eyes. "Isn't she a bit fresh for your refined palate, Fontaine?" she teased, amusement dancing in her gaze.

Fontaine chuckled, his fingers playing with the intricate design of his ring. "Beauty transcends age, Duchess Von Nassau. But…" His eyes, sharp and blue, caught sight of another arrival. A dazzling brunette with fiery amber eyes and a knowing smile, her presence sending a tremor through him. "Well, well, what do we have here?" he murmured, his gaze devouring her alluring figure.

"Distasteful," Vladimir muttered, his stoic facade briefly cracking into apprehension.

Fontaine's growl was immediate. "What did you say?

Vladimir smirked, swirling the ruby wine in his goblet. "This Merlot, I mean. Too old, too harsh. Not to my palate." His response, a veiled insult, hung heavy in the air, further escalating the unspoken tension between the Dukes.

Prince Adrian, smooth as silk, intervened before the conflict could erupt. "Gentlemen, gentlemen, let's enjoy the festivities. Bring Duke Vladimir something… lighter, shall we?"

As the servant scurried away, Adrian's golden eyes tracked Eydis across the ballroom. Of all the potential escorts Astra could have chosen, it had to be this enigmatic commoner. Her very presence, like a discordant note in a grand symphony, sent whispers and disapproving glances rippling through the crowd. Yet, there was no denying they were a captivating pair, their movements fluid and their laughter echoing with genuine amusement. Before he could indulge in further observation, Eydis vanished into the throng.

He descended the stairs, a practised smile already in place to greet his guests. A voice, husky and laced with a melody of amusement, tickled his ear. "Well, well, Prince Adrian," Eydis purred, her curtsy flawlessly executed. "Been a while."

His surprise flickered for a fleeting moment, then vanished under the mask of his charming smile. "Missing me already? You've been rather preoccupied with your… new companion lately." His eyes, sharp as a hawk's, darted to the goddess beside her. Moonlight seemed to weave itself into her hair, and her eyes held the mesmerising depth of amethyst jewels.

Eydis chuckled, her amber eyes sparkling with secrets. "Actually, I am," she purred, her hand tracing a path down his arm, sending a jolt of electricity through him. He swallowed, the movement not lost on the brunette watching.

As bold as a viper, she leaned in, her breath warm against his ear. "The main event will take some time. Perhaps we could… chat privately, old times' sake, Your Highness?"

A calculating smile played on Adrian's lips. He leaned in, his golden eyes locking with hers. "Who am I to refuse a captivating woman like yourself?"

Eydis followed him with a smile, sending a knowing nod towards Astra. It was a silent signal, the prelude to a game with stakes far higher than mere political machinations.

For as everyone knew, all games must come to an end.

**

The dimly lit chamber pulsed with an unspoken tension, the only light emanating from a solitary brass lamp casting a golden pool upon the intricate chessboard. Prince Adrian settled into his velvet-draped chair, sapphire rings clicking softly against the mahogany as he reached for a pawn. Its journey across the board, a whisper against polished wood, ended with a delicate thud on the checkered battlefield. The silence stretched, thick with unspoken tension, before Eydis mirrored his move, her ivory pawn advancing with a sharper, bolder tap.

The game began, each move a whispered story in the language of clicks and clacks. Adrian's bishop sailed across the board with practised ease, capturing a white knight with a satisfying click and a smirk. Eydis countered with a knight of her own, its determined advance punctuated by a heavy tap, the metal gleaming momentarily in the flickering firelight.

"You know, Prince," Eydis mused, her amber gaze reflecting the flickering firelight with an unsettling intensity, "I'm not particularly fond of chess."

Adrian's eyebrow arched, a hint of amusement playing on his lips. "Oh? And why is that?" His eyes, however, darted across the board, momentarily betraying his calculating mind.

"Kings and pawns," she smirked, noting his surprise, "a hierarchy of pieces, some deemed more valuable than others. Not my taste."

Adrian chuckled, a pawn advancing two squares with a deliberate tap. "Another one of your 'equality' lectures, Eydis?"

"Hardly, Your Highness,” she replied, capturing the pawn with her rook. "Humans, after all, are dust motes in the grand scheme of things. To claim one holds more worth than another is pure hubris. We are equally fleeting, equally insignificant."

"A rather cynical view, indeed," Adrian said, narrowing his eyes as he tried to decipher her cryptic message.

"Don't you agree, Prince?" Eydis leaned forward, her voice a low rumble with unsettling undercurrents. "After all, you disposed of Adam without a second thought."

Adrian's composure faltered, a flicker of anger momentarily flashing across his face. "You dare accuse me of such a crime, commoner?"

"Deflecting, I see," Eydis shook her head. "Let's make a trade, shall we? Information for information?"

Intrigued, Adrian raised an eyebrow. "Depends on the value of the information, wouldn't you say?"

"Oh, I think you'll find this fascinating. Chess, you see..." she paused, tapping her cheek with a single finger, "...it once led me to kill a grandmaster."

Adrian's mask flickered, but her next words hit a deeper mark. "A contract, Prince. The girl unearthed something she shouldn't have, and silencing her was part of the bargain. The only complication? She only met with those who could best her at her own game. So, I learned chess, for the thrill of the hunt."

His grip tightened on the chair. "And why tell me this, Eydis?" he growled. "Are you implying we're similar?"

Her eyes narrowed, a faint smile playing on her lips. "Not quite. I kill for the challenge, the dance of intellect and strategy. But you..." her voice softened, a rare vulnerability peeking through, "...was it truly your choice?"

A choked gasp escaped Adrian's lips, vulnerability momentarily flickering across his face before hardening into steel. He laughed, a strained sound laced with pain. "Trying to paint me as a tragic villain, Eydis? Or has love softened you?"

Now it was Eydis's turn to be caught off guard. Adrian's grin widened. "Oh, don't pretend," he purred. "You've fallen for Lady Astra, haven't you? Or should I say, Lady Anastasia Romanov?"

Eydis's heart hammered against her ribs. Adrian's smile grew wider, feeding off her visible distress.

"That's right, Eydis," he said, flicking an ivory queen off the board with a dramatic flourish. 

"You've walked right into my trap."

 This story is concluding, and I'm concurrently working on a new book. I hope to have your support! Cheers.

3