Chapter 103: Kings and Pawns (3)
94 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.




*



"Let it end," Elias hissed. The beasts surged forward, maws gaping wide, unleashing a symphony of agonised screams.

Back to back, Natalia and Melissa stood unwavering, flames and ice crackling around them in a mesmerising dance, ready to confront Elias and his monstrous legion, but his next move shattered their expectations.


With a flick of his wrist, ancient vines, thick as serpents and coated in a chilling frost, erupted from the snow-covered ground. But they didn't target them. They shot towards Lukas and Theomund, locked in a desperate duel with Lionel and Astra.


Theomund snarled, his body transforming into a shimmering shield of diamond, shattering the icy tendrils against the wind-whipped snow. With a thunderous whoosh, the beasts bypassed Natalia and Melissa, their monstrous claws aimed at Lukas and Theomund. One swipe sent Lukas flying, his head cracking against the stone wall with a sickening thud, a splash of crimson blooming against the pristine white.


Theomund, with feline grace, dodged another onslaught, plunging his blade into a beast's manacore. But his victory was short-lived as Astra's blades clashed against his, the metallic clang echoing through the chaos, sending snowflakes dancing in a macabre ballet.


Natalia and Melissa watched in astonishment as the beasts wreaked havoc, their attacks focused solely on the Imperial guards and mages. Confusion clouded their minds.


"Elias?!" 


Natalia's voice cracked, hope warred with suspicion in her eyes as they met his. Gone was the chilling emptiness, replaced by a despair so raw it ripped at her heart. Before she could question, he pulled her into a tight embrace, his choked murmur barely audible over the clash of steel.


"I wanted to leave..." he choked out, his eyes flicking towards the carnage, "but Adam wouldn't want me to let our friends die for a lie. And we need numbers."


Natalia pulled away, her mind a maelstrom. Was this betrayal genuine, or another God-orchestrated twist? Her voice trembled as she forced the question past the lump in her throat, "How? How did you break free?"


A sad smile, fragile as spun glass, flickered on his lips. Slowly, he drew out a sapphire ring, its icy glint cutting through the chaotic light. "Eydis left this," he rasped, his voice heavy with emotion. "Just a day ago. And as I held it, I swear I felt it... an anchor in my heart. A piece of me, untainted, tethered to reality. This ring, Adam's, a reminder not to succumb to the monsters who took him.


Natalia searched his eyes. Pain mirrored her own. Could it be true? "Is that enough?" she whispered. "Can a single anchor withstand God's storm?" Her eyes flickered to Melissa, who offered a silent, knowing nod.


"Don't know," he admitted, resolve hardening his voice. "But it's all I have. If fighting beside you, for Adam, even for a moment, means defying him... then it's enough."


Hope flickered in her eyes. Squaring her shoulders, she met his gaze. "Then let's fight," she declared, her voice ringing with newfound determination. "For Adam, for ourselves, and for every anchor against the God's darkness."


They could do this. They wouldn't be broken by the God's insidious scheme. The serpent hissed and sputtered as arcanes crackled around them. Mages and guards lunged, but the newfound fire in their eyes wouldn't be easily extinguished.


The palace groaned under the onslaught, debris raining down like a grotesque ballet. Natalia met Astra's gaze, a flicker of gratitude battling the warrior's steel within. In that silent exchange, a cautious optimism bloomed within her.

Eydis was right.

Perhaps, against all odds, they could win.

Frustration simmered in golden eyes as Ares surveyed the chaotic battlefield. Divinity crackled in his hand, a tremor running through his power. Five rebels, mere specks against his seemingly endless horde, danced with impossible grace, their magic defying reason. A cruel grin twisted his lips. Thousands of mages awaited his command, eager to crush the rebellion underfoot.


"Who will break first, pawns," he chuckled, relishing the image of their imminent demise. "My loyal legion, or your little game of insurgency?"


But before the words left his lips, a searing agony lanced through his neck. He crumpled to his knee, gasping, finding Indigo standing over him. The calm professor's demeanour had morphed into steely resolve, violet light from the distant battle glinting off his spectacles.


"Kings and pawns," Indigo rasped, the air thick with unspoken tension. His hands, a blur of steel and arcane energy, disarmed Ares' guards with chilling ease. He dragged the weakened leader back towards the inferno, his voice a low murmur, "The real question, Ares, is can pawns bring down a king?"

******

The first tear, a glistening pearl against her porcelain cheek, ignited a fire in Adrian's tiny chest. Soft golden hair, spun like spun sunshine, tickled his nose as he held her close. And in that moment, she was an angel fallen to earth, fragile and precious.


"Would you protect your sister, son?" Mother's voice, a melody of love and concern, washed over him.


Adrian, barely taller than his sword, puffed out his chest, a fierce warrior in miniature. "I will, Mother. She's... tiny and precious."


But time, a cunning thief, stole away their laughter. Athena, once a sunbeam, grew colder, cloaked in a sadness that mirrored the stone walls of their gilded cage. He watched her gaze drift towards the distant horizon, yearning for a freedom he couldn't grant.


Then, one day, the cage burst open. Athena escaped, a bird tasting the wind for the first time. Joy flickered in her eyes, a flame fueled by John, the knight's unwavering devotion, and Eydis, the defiant commoner who challenged every expectation. He saw her passion ignite, a fire fueled by ideals he couldn't share, but desperately wanted to protect.


He craved permanence, a snapshot of this newfound happiness. But God, a cruel puppeteer, had other plans. A chance encounter, a glimpse behind the gilded curtain, revealed the truth. Emperor Ares, his father, knelt before a being of pure light, a shapeless entity pulsating with power. 


Understanding crashed down on him, heavy and suffocating. Forbidden texts became his sanctuary, their words shards of broken glass piercing his heart. Generations sacrificed, pawns manipulated in a god's cruel game, their minds and wills carved away for divine control.


The only ending: madness.


Desperation forged his choice. In a vast, echoing chamber, he inhaled, steadying his resolve. "Omnipotent One," he pleaded, his voice masking fear with command, "Take me. Let me be your vessel."


The light pulsed, amusement dancing within its depths. A booming voice, devoid of warmth, echoed through the chamber. "Athena is destined. You are..." it paused, "...inadequate."


"I won't resist," Adrian pleaded, desperation etching lines on his young face. "Not like Father, not like Athena."


A chuckle, cold as tomb air, echoed through the void. "Guarantees? Child, they are the toys of the naive. Why would I bind myself to such a fragile vessel, prone to shattering like frost in the midday sun?"


"Let me be your instrument," Adrian pleaded, desperation weaving lines into his youthful face. "My body, my will, yours to command. Only spare Athena, grant her a life untainted by this... divinity."


Silence stretched, then a whisper, colder than death, "Human love... curious. Irrelevant, yet... intriguing. Very well. The game begins. And your pawn, Adrian, makes the first move."


Warmth, then searing pain. Divinity flooded his veins, a serpent of light coiling around his mind, whispering promises of power and control. His screams died unheard in the vast emptiness. He was no longer Adrian, the protector, but a broken marionette, his strings pulled by an unseen hand.


Whispers among whispers. Voices amid voices. Too loud, too much, his own voice receding further into the abyss, drowned out by the God's grand symphony. A plan, a gift to humanity.



A promise of immortality.

How seductive it was.

Yet, amidst the shattered fragments of his being, a spark remained. A love that even gods couldn't extinguish. He was a puppet, yes, but one who would play his own game. A silent rebellion waged in the shadows, every move a whisper of defiance. For Athena, his anchor, for the memory of her laughter, he would fight, even if it meant becoming…

The very monster he swore to destroy.

The bringer of death, perhaps, but with a heart that still bled humanity's crimson song.

A laugh, harsh and unfamiliar, escaped Adrian’s lips, echoing through the chamber. Memories and guilt crashed over him like a tidal wave. He turned to the stained glass windows, flames dancing across them, casting long, unsettling shadows. Eerie fingers of orange light crawled across Eydis's face. 


Yet, her eyes held a chilling stillness, glinting with an unnerving intent, like cold diamonds reflecting the dying embers of a fire. With a smooth, predatory grace, she shifted a chess piece, the ivory bishop knocking his knight aside with a metallic clang that resonated in the tense silence. The chaos outside seemed a muffled roar now.


A flicker of amusement, laced with apprehension, crossed Adrian's lips. "Unfazed, I see. Or perhaps shattered beyond repair?" He countered with his own move, the silent challenge hanging in the air.


Eydis remained silent, her gaze fixed on the board, her face an inscrutable mask bathed in the flickering firelight. Finally, her voice, barely a whisper, broke the silence, chilling the air like a winter wind. "Just contemplating," she murmured, "whether I should kill you... and how far I'm willing to go."


The weight of her words settled heavy, chilling the air further. Amusement drained from Adrian's features, replaced by a tightening knot of unease that crawled up his throat. "Threatening royalty, Eydis? Are you truly so deluded?"


She met his gaze, molten gold replacing the amber, burning through him with an intensity that stole his breath. "Oh, Adrian," she purred, a slow, unsettling smile stretching across her lips, "I wasn't speaking to you."

Golden… eyes?

Turning towards the stained glass, the flames now casting an eerie violet glow on her face, she sighed. "Didn't you find it curious? A battle of this magnitude could have turned this very room to dust, yet here we stand."


Confusion warred with suspicion on Adrian's face. "What game are you playing?"


With a slow, deliberate turn, her smile morphing into something unsettling, she leaned in, her voice a husky whisper. "Listen closely, Adrian," she said, golden eyes momentarily flickering to the window. "...how quiet it is inside you. God's whispers have fallen silent, haven't they?"


Fear bled the remaining colour from Adrian's face. He stumbled back, the smirk wiped clean. Eydis grinned, sharp canines glinting like a predator's tooth under the flames. Her voice dropped to a purr as she leaned closer, brushing her lips against his ear. "Oh, Adrian, did you truly think you were playing this game alone?" she purred. "The moment I saw through God’s charade, I severed his connection to you. A gilded cage, just as you wished."

And then, with a click that echoed like a death knell, the door swung open.


Athena stood framed in the doorway, her face streaked with tears that mirrored the inferno raging outside. John stood beside her, righteous fury burning in his eyes. But unlike the crumbling palace around them, their room remained untouched, a shimmering metal barrier defying the chaos. A divine anomaly. A Faraday Cage, Adrian realised with a jolt, a metallic prison that both confined him and, strangely, liberated him from God’s insidious control.


“Brother," Athena choked out, tears glistening in her eyes, "Please... don't let Him use you."


The world shattered around Adrian. Her eyes, usually filled with love and laughter, now reflected a profound, searing disappointment that pierced his soul. He yearned to tell her, to confess that he had done it all for her, to shield her from the same fate. But the words remained trapped, choked by a burden he could never hope to place on her already fragile shoulders.

3