Chapter 33: A trip to Ms. Daisy’s
158 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Exiting Purrlyn's chamber, I was immediately met with the sights of the rabbit and the giant, their gazes fixed on me with an intensity that suggested they were waiting for something. A wave of nervousness washed over me, prompting me to smooth out my dress in an attempt to regain some composure. "That will be all for today, Madam," I announced, trying to maintain a facade of confidence.

She dipped her head in a respectful bow, murmuring, "My Lady."

As I began to walk away, Tiger's presence loomed close behind me, a silent guardian in my shadow.

It was then that the Rabbit positioned himself at my side, his voice carrying a gentle, yet firm suggestion. "My Lady Cheshire, might I recommend retiring to your quarters for the evening? Tomorrow holds great importance. Her Highness intends to discuss with you the expectations for your forthcoming journey to the Mankin's courts. Furthermore, we have arranged for an esteemed tutor to provide you with a deeper understanding of their customs and traditions among other things..."

An audible groan escaped me, a clear indication of my frustration. Turning to face the rabbit, I ventured a guess, "Lord Rabbington, I presume?"

He confirmed with a nod.

Addressing him directly, I mustered a polite yet firm tone, "Lord Rabbington, there are urgent matters I must attend to immediately. Rest assured, we will manage on our own, and I shall see you come morning. I wish you a pleasant evening." The smile I offered him was strained, my teeth nearly clenching in effort.

"My Lady Cheshire!" he protested, his voice laced with a sense of duty and concern. "I must insist on accompanying you. Your well-being is my charge, and should any harm befall you..."

Interrupting, I arched an eyebrow, "Would you then disregard the wishes of your guest?"

"Please, my Lady, it is not my intention to disregard your requests, but to fulfill my duties within the constraints I am bound by," he explained, punctuating his words with a decisive gesture.

Accepting his persistence with a nod, I warned, "Very well, you may accompany me. But be forewarned, the path I take tonight may not bode well for you." With a clap of my hands to signal the urgency, I turned to Tiger, "Now, where might Lemy be?"

Our journey took us from the grandeur of the castle to the edges where the Fey realms blend seamlessly into the wild, untamed lands beyond. My goal was the dwelling of Miss Daisy, hidden within this delicate border.

The news from Purrlyn had been a stark reminder of the urgency of my quest. Time, once a friend, now turned into a fierce adversary. I was faced with the task of assimilating centuries' worth of arcane wisdom in what had unexpectedly dwindled to a mere day. The price my father had paid for this chance loomed large, adding a profound sense of burden upon my shoulders.

"My lady, what weighs upon your thoughts?" Lemy inquired, his voice tinged with concern.

"So much, Lemy, so very much today," I confessed, my mind racing. The presence of Lord Rabbington, though necessary, presented a complication I had not anticipated. While no explicit instruction had been given to conceal my dealings with the hag, my instincts warned that revealing such ties could stir trouble.

Behind me, Tiger's gentle purr broke through my contemplation. "Daisy?" he questioned, his inquiry pulling me back to the task at hand.

I acknowledged his question with a nod, and then Lord Rabbington, ever lacking in subtlety, chimed in. "Daisy? A friend of yours, Lady Cheshire? It would be a pleasure to facilitate a meeting between her and my Lady, should you desire."

His attempt at diplomacy did little to mask his probing nature, prompting me to narrow my eyes in mild irritation. Yet the idea of him meeting Ms. Daisy sparked an intriguing thought.

"Lemy," I called.

"Yes, my Lady?"

"Would you be so kind as to precede us and inform Ms. Daisy of our imminent arrival? Convey that I am keen on undertaking a...repeat test."

Lemy offered a crisp salute before darting off, leaving me to observe Tiger's reaction. His raised eyebrow spoke volumes of his skepticism.

"Don't fret. Everything will unfold as it should. I excelled during our last encounter," I reassured him, trying to alleviate his evident concern. Tiger's expression, however, shifted from hesitant to decidedly convinced of the folly ahead.

"Testing oneself is indeed a path to growth. I commend your spirit, Lady Cheshire. May I inquire about the nature of this test?" Rabbington asked, his curiosity barely contained within the bounds of formality.

I smiled "Who knows? But I suspect it won't take long to find out."

Our path wound ever upwards into the treetops, where the presence of the Fey became increasingly scarce. Before long, we found ourselves enveloped in solitude, the bustling activity of the Fey realms below distant.

Pausing, I closed my eyes, seeking out the elusive calm that preceded my last encounter. At first, all I could discern was the chill breeze caressing my face, cool and strong this high up into the treetops. Abruptly, the wind ceased, and a profound silence enveloped us.

Upon opening my eyes, I was met with the sight of a figure donning a plague mask and suit, its feet oddly reminiscent of a chicken's. We locked gazes, an unspoken challenge hanging between us.

Beside me, Tiger tensed, his reaction suggesting a familiarity with this peculiar entity. Lord Rabbington, on the other hand, regarded the figure with pure curiosity, unburdened by recognition.

I reached out to nearly touch my power in anticipation. I took one deep breath then another to ready myself. After a minute I reached out to grab my power.

Time seemed to dilate as I unleashed tendrils of power towards the figure. To my astonishment, it moved with an agility that belied its bizarre appearance, effortlessly evading my attack. 

I grew shocked and felt panic rising as the creature seemed to dart all of my attempts to dissuade him. This familiar was moving far faster than my last encounter and I began to wonder if Ms. Daisy understood my intentions. 

In the ensuing moments, Tiger sprang into action, attempting to ensnare the creature. Yet, with a grace that seemed impossible given its form, it sidestepped, allowing Tiger's claws to graze its mask rather than finding purchase. 

As the familiar deftly maneuvered past Tiger, it positioned itself merely an arm's length from me, its intentions clear. Yet, just as its hand neared me, it recoiled abruptly as if repelled by an unseen force. A dome of bright red light burst into existence around me, its sudden appearance startling everyone, including the assailant.

"Attacking an envoy is punishable by death in the court of summer. Your life is now forfeit," declared Lord Rabbington, his voice carrying a weight and authority that seemed at odds with his usual demeanor.

The transformation that ensued was nothing short of astonishing. The mild-mannered rabbit's eyes ignited with a crimson glow, heralding a metamorphosis that saw him not merely increase in size but assume a form both formidable and menacing.

Muscles bulged, claws elongated into wicked, dark talons, and his fur adopted a wild, unruly aspect.

What stood beside me now was a towering figure of rage and power, a five-foot-tall rabbit with eyes alight with bloodlust. Ms. Daisy's familiar, taken aback by the sudden shift, attempted to retreat as Lord Rabbington lashed out with his newly formed claws.

For the first time, I sensed the familiar channeling its power, a force met in kind by Lord Rabbington. The clash of their energies was a spectacle to behold; sparks flew, creating a storm of power around us that ignited the trees in sporadic bursts of flame. The air crackled with the intensity of their confrontation.

"Tiger, it's time for us to go," I urged, firmly grasping his arm to draw his attention away from the spectacle. His gaze was locked on the fight, a mix of eagerness and anticipation flickering in his eyes.

The thought of joining such a fray might have appealed to him, but I harbored no such desires. The raw display of power was something I wished to avoid at all costs.

With a focused intent, I extended my tendrils of power with assistance from my Fey Nature, seeking the ethereal strands of light that danced just beyond my normal perception.

The familiar sensation of weaving these strands enveloped me, a task I had grown accustomed to earlier in the day. Gradually, the strands coalesced, and with a final tug, they snapped into place, creating a bubble of silence around us. An audible pop marked the completion of the weave.

Within this bubble, the chaotic scene continued to unfold before us, yet now it was as if we were mere observers behind a sound and vision-proof barrier. My vision beyond this bubble was obscured, reduced to nothing more than shadows flitting amongst the treetops.

Guiding Tiger with a gentle pull, I led us away from the melee, much like a mother guiding her child away from danger. As we retraced our steps back through the forest, my thoughts turned to Lemy. The loyal envoy had played her role flawlessly, and I mused over an appropriate way to commend her.

7